Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martin's Koolance RP-402X2 Review (Working Thread )

Xtreme X.I.P.

Martin's Koolance RP-402X2 & RP-452X2 Drive Bay (Living Review)

I have this review now published on my new website here, or you can get the details below:

Welcome to my living review of the Koolance RP-402X2 and RP-452X2 drive bay reservoir systems. First, I would like to give a huge thanks to Tim from Koolance for sponsoring. The RP-402X2 and the RP-452X2 are the latest in the dual bay pumping reservoir craze.

Koolance RP-402X2 & RP-452X2

These are exceptionally well made "Acetal" reservoirs that can hold and run two (PMP-400, PMP-450s, or PMP-450S) pumps all in a single dual bay reservoir. These also have two independent reservoirs that can be run independently, shared, or in series depending on your desired setup needs.

RP-402X2 is designed for the PMP-400 pumps
    RP-452X2 is designed for the PMP-450 pumps

Both reservoirs share the same reservoir system with only slight modifications made to accept each type of pump. I'll spend some time going though various tests and review items below

Testing Toys!!..
    For performance testing I am employing my usual pump testing tools. Flow rate is measured using a King Instruments 7520 flow meter. Pressure differential is measured using a Dwyer 477-5 series digital manometer. Voltage is measure at the pump plug to eliminate vdroop. Power and Amperage is measured using my Mastech power supply.

It's a heavyweight! All 5 pounds of it when loaded..wow! This is a tribute to the massive machined acetal block construction.

Volute Area
    402 Series

452 Series

This picture shows removal of the machined block off plate for two pumps on the 402 model. The reservoir comes with this installed so you can run one pump and upgrade later to two pumps if needed. It also comes with G1/4 plugs on the back. If you remove the reservoir side plug, you can use both reservoirs for one pump. Many operational options exist within. I'll include some configuration options later in the review.

The 452 series uses large aluminum threaded couplers to screw the pumps into place (These are not in contact with water). This photo also provides a quick look at 3/4" (19mm) OD compression fitting spacing:

More internal pictures - Very easy to take apart and clean or modified as needed:

Performance PQ Chart

This is testing the pressure head capabilities of the entire pump operating range, but generally you should be most interested in the .5 to 2 GPM range as that is typically where most water cooling systems operate. The benefit of this type of testing is that you can estimate flow rates with the data collected and you also evaluate the entire operating range.

Single Pump 402 Series PMP400 (DDC3.25)

Single Pump 452 Series PMP450 (D5Vario)

Two Pumps 402 Series (Plumbed in Series)

402 Series Comparison

This is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but in single pump mode it produced slightly less performance than the COV-RP400 (WITHOUT RESERVOIR), with a reservoir included in the standard pump test, I suspect they are roughly about the same. I will do more combined testing on this in a bit. That's all fine and splitting hairs, however if you really want power, running two pumps in series or two separate loops will make a much more noteworthy difference. I found the reservoir to scale nearly double as you would expect, this would be much more power than needed for even the most restrictive of loops.

452 Series comparison

The RP-452X2 has a small performance advantage over the stock pump top plus reservoir curve in the .5 to 2GPM range, which is great. The stock PMP450 top is generally good so any little gain or even matching should be considered a good top.

Performance PQ RP-452X2 + PMP-450 + PMP-450 Series

Overall, without a doubt the noiseless enthusiast dream. I really like this setup, it scales so well with noise and power needs. You can easily dial it down to ultra slow speeds and up to intense pumping power that can easily surpass the 1GPM barrier on any system. It's also amazing how quiet the setup is, I've got some videos for you, but at Setting 3 to 4 it has more than enough power for average systems and practically inaudible (Less than 1dbA raise in noise level)....just awesome for ultra low noise..

Setting 1 -(+.4dbA over 41dbA ambient) For Ultra Low Restriction. A bit low in power for my taste, but it could net you around .75GPM with a very low restriction setup.
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1111/rp452serp1.png

Setting 2 -(+.5dbA over 41dbA ambient) For Average/Low to Low Restriction. Another ultra silent setting with a good amount of power for Average/Low to Low Restriction. A low restriction single block loop would see around 1.2GPM which exceeds the desirable 1GPM rule of thumb. But if your emphasis is low noise, you could also do well with this setting on an average restriction loop. (Low restriction CPU block plus 1-2 GPU blocks).
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9468/rp452serp2.png

Setting 3 -(+.6dbA over 41dbA ambient) For Average to Low Restriction. This would be my personal favorite, it has an exceptional noise/pumping power ratio and will have plenty of power for a little above Average to Low restriction loops. A low restriction loop would see around 1.5GPM, and an average restriction loop around 1.1GPM.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4382/rp452serp3.png

Setting 4 -(+.8dbA over 41dbA ambient) For High to Average Restriction. A low restriction loop would see around 1.8GPM, Average about 1.3GPM, and High around 1-1.1GPM. This is a fairly strong amount of pumping power good for your higher restriction 3-4block type systems. Noise level is still very good, but just slightly more audible over setting 3.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3488/rp452serp4.png

Setting 5 -(+1.5dbA over 41dbA ambient) For Very High to Average Restriction. An average restriction loop would see around 1.6GPM with this setup and even the most restrictive 5+ block loops will see 1.1-1.2GPM which is very healthy. I simply can not see where this isn't enough pumping power.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9572/rp452serp5.png

And here is the family of curves for easy setting comparisons:

So which pump you might ask?

I feel this becomes largely a personal preference or personal inventory decision. If you already have one or two of these pumps in any flavor, then the choice is fairly clear in saving on pump cost. I personally am a bit of a noiseless priority type so I find a bit more appeal in the 452 plus a pair of PMP450 pumps. This setup allows you to control pump noise and power via the built in PMP-450 controller, and two pumps in series is an intense amount of power regardless of the flavor. However if you have pump voltage control capabilities, the PMP-400s also provide that flexibility perhaps even via computer control or on demand control.

Noise

402 Series
    On the test bench I found the noise level with both pumps in series to be roughly the same as running a GTAP-15 at full speed. That large mass (5 pounds) is a large benefit to keeping vibrations at bay.

Here is my preliminary 402 series test run:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmNVvwauivc

And a similar test with the 452 series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI1Eh3LTszU

Subjectively I think the 452 series with PMP-450 pumps is a bit quieter than the 402 series with PMP-400 pumps. If silence is a really high priority, I would suggest the 452 model and PMP-450 pumps. That would give you an easy means to reducing pump speed on the built in pump controllers. Alternatively you could use voltage control on the PMP-450S or PMP-400 pumps. The nice part of running dual pumps is that you nearly double pressure head over one pump, so in general you can dial the pumps down to about half their speed for the same amount of power as just one pump.

Build Quality

Exemplary, this is one of those products that gives you joy just holding it in your hand. The machining and heft of the solid mass of acetal inspires confidence in durability. The entire rear portion of the unit is one massive block of machined acetal. The only joint is the face plate, but it too is reinforced by an aluminum bezel to spread the load of the mounting screws. They even go to detail of machining chamfers on all areas, it's really a work of art. This is by far the most well constructed and durable reservoir system I have personally had the pleasure of testing.

Configuration Options for two pumps
    Hard to explain and I'm a visual guy, so this should work..

The above requires some sort of connecting loop or elbow combination, but that's not the only way to do series. You can also simply bridge the series with some components in between like the schematic below. That would eliminate the need for any elbows, etc.

Filling/Bleeding
    Priming & Filling does take a little patience particularly for the P1 pump due to the inlet port being relatively high up in the reservoir. I found it to work best by initially tipping the case on it's back and using the front ports to get water primed quickly down into the pump. Then seal off those plugs and switch to the top ports. To get the last little bits of air out you have to tip the case to the left or right opposite of the port since the port hole is in the upper corners. It may also be advantageous to plumb the upper fill ports to remote fill ports on the top of your case. This would allow some fluid to be stored outside of the reservoir and make topping off a less frequent occurrence. Just take your time with this and plan on cycling the pumps on and off to avoid running the pumps dry. Also plan on tipping the case around and on back to help.

Once the system is filled and flowing bleeding actually works very well. The baffles in the reservoir do a great job in providing calm water for air to bleed, although the right reservoir does require topping off fairly full for best results.

LED Lighting
    Both units come with the same channels and predilled holes to accept up to four 3mm LED lights. Two are located on the upper side corners and two on the bottom side. The actual LEDs do not come as part of the package, you have to order those separately.

In this example I used some 5mm LEDs and just pushed them up flush against the acrylic. I also applied a strip of electrical tape around the perimeter to prevent any lighting around the edges.
    This is using water only and using 4 red 5mm LED lights, I also had the two edges covered with tape, as you can see a little light is escaping the top edge:

The following picture is using only the two top LED slots and I had electrical tape around the entire perimeter:

Convenience
    What's not to like about taking four very difficult to place components and packaging them in one dual bay unit...amazing...

Overall

I am very happy with both reservoir systems, particularly for their exemplary build quality. Performance on both units is roughly equal, the 402 series is a fair amount better than the stock top and the 452 series is slightly better. Both very good setups each with very minor differences. The differences really come down to which type of pump you like or may already have on hand.

If you REALLY want to kick it up a notch, go with two pumps!! Two pumps in series worked very well and scaled the single pump test 2:1 almost perfectly for head pressure. All 14psi at max (shutoff head), and about 9PSI at 1.5GPM is some heavy duty pumping power on the 402 series. I have a hard time imagining where this wouldn't be enough pumping power. Keep in mind that flow rate has relatively little impact to CPU temperatures above about 1GPM, so don't expect that going to dual pumps is really necessary for all systems. I would do it for pump redundancy safety reasons, for having the ability to reduce speed/noise of dual series pumps, and for getting every last drop from you blocks.

Regarding the pump redundancy thought. I ran a quick test and found that with both pumps operating at 1.5GPM, if I turned off one pump, the result was 1.1GPM which is still plenty to keep the system cooling properly. Some people have thought that a pump stopped adds quite a bit of restriction, but the test didn't show that. I only lost about .4GPM which means a stopped pump is very free flowing.

My only challenge was getting the system filled and bled of air. I'm not very experienced with bay reservoirs, but this one did require that I tip the case on it's back and on to it's side in various angles along with intermittently cycling the pump on/off to slowly get the system full of water without running the pumps dry. This took me about a hour or so and more patience than expected. In the end I was able to get the system full, but don't expect that it'll be easy. Also note that the reservoir side doesn't necessarily match up with the pump and outlet port side. I also would recommend using the left side reservoir in single pump operation because it's in/out ports are located at the bottom of the reservoir which makes bleeding easier. I'm not sure there is any way to improve this, it's simply a fairly compact set of reservoirs connected to the pump via channel ports that takes some effort in filling. I've managed to get mine filled both with a single pump on P1 and with both pumps in series. I was successful both times, but it did test my patience.

Noise was good, I didn't observe any obvious vibration induced noises in my extereme silence case test with the 402 series although I would suggest the 452 series and PMP450 pumps for best noise results. I generally had a fairly difficult time trying to measure noise particularly in my more informal bench tests where I had a bit of ambient noise present, and particularly when another fan was adjacent to the pump. Ambient noise masking makes a significant difference and is beneficial to any perceived pump noise. Pump noise for your average fan user will not likely become a concern, but for those into the sub 1000 RPM fan setup, I would definately recommend the 452 series with PMP-450 pumps. This setup provides a very noise tunable solution for even the most particular noiseless users. My personal noise favorite is the 452 series with PMP-450 pumps turned down to setting 3. This gives you a huge pumping power range, complete noise control, pump redundancy, and cool pump operation.

Cheers!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 03-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I can really see these taking over because they pack so much in such a small space, and almost everyone has extra drive bays.

I picked up a pair of these, and will probably do a head to head video comparison with the DD Monsoon.

Nice preliminary tests, quite thorough Martin.

Xtreme Addict
    Really like this over the XSPC dual pump res, there is REALLY no comparison between the 2...... Pure p0rn....
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Added in my first trial video for testing noise.

What do you think about the test method? I think it was helpful to include the fan as Churchy suggested earlier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmNVvwauivc

I need to buy an actual case for testing this in. My test bench case isn't very applicable and my son's case is too full and would take too much work to take apart.

Anyhow, that should hold you over for a little bit, but let me know if you'd like to see something else.

Cheers!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-06-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Looking good!! Also love the videos, keep them coming.
    Last edited by thegcpu; 02-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    System:1
    Banchetto
    I7 860 4.2Ghz | Asus Maximus III Formula | EVGA 2 GTX295's | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator GT Ram @ 2000 8-9-8-24-1T | OCZ RevoDrive3 120Gb SSD | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | EK-FC285 Nickel| Thermochill PA 120.3 | TFC Xtender Shrouds |DD Monsoon Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir | MCP655-B|Noctua NF-P12| HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System:2
    Sunbeamtech Ultra-Tech Station
    I7 875K 4.4Ghz | EVGA P55 LE | PNY Quadro FX4800 | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator Ram @ 1600 8-8-8-24-2T | 2 OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD RAID 0 | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | DD Koosah | 2 Thermochill PA 120.1 | TFC Xtender Shrouds | EK-DDC X-RES 100 | MCP350 | Noctua NF-P12 | Indigo Xtreme | HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System Videos

Xtreme Addict
    I'm picking myself up a pair of these for sure. Martin's testing has basically made it crystal clear what to expect from these. Thanks Martin, stellar stuff as usual!

Hooking up pumps to a controller and adjusting RPM will provide great flexibility for loops.
    Last edited by CedricFP; 02-06-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Banned
    I have a question. We know that the DDC pumps run hot. How does reservoir going to effect the temperature of the pump, and is it even a concern?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    I have a question. We know that the DDC pumps run hot. How does reservoir going to effect the temperature of the pump, and is it even a concern?
    I would imagine that, if anything, the DDCs run cooler because they don't sit on a surface like they would with a standard res-top. The bottom is open to air circulation. as 5 1/2 inch bays in cases usually have a bit of room on either side.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, i somehow expected for pumps to be quieter then fans. (BTW, you don't plan to record noise curve at different voltages (in case of course. As imho res mounted in case and microphone outside of it should mask a bit of noise)? And does noise level differ for one vs two pumps?) Love fact that you tested with one pump switched off too.
    Last edited by Church; 02-07-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Wow, DD and Koolance head to head. DD makes a GREAT NEW D5 res/pump setup, and I think it's better looking. They haven't released the other stuff yet for multiple pumps and 3.2 pumps.

Looks like Koolance engineers have won the battle over the marketers. They still need to ditch the fun all-in-one setups. They are moving slowly in the right direction.

WC is in for fun times, looking for the next jump, these nice tweaks are promising for sure. Good review/test!. You always do more than review. Your one we need at the XS 2012 party. Please?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Banned
    Question; Does the swiftech MCP 355 feet need to be cut off to fit in the reservoir?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Hooking up pumps to a controller and adjusting RPM will provide great flexibility for loops.
    Exactly!...that's where I'm headed next with this, I want to take a serious look at series PMP-400s undervolted. There is a fairly dramatic difference in pump noise when undervolted, so running two in series is interesting to me.

It seems a majority of the heat resides in the PCB base which is exposed. A low profile heatsink of sorts might help with that, but unlike sitting on a piece of foam or other insulation, the base is exposed to the air. There is about an 8mm gap notched in there which should provide some options. If you have space in drive bays below or above, you could probably direct some air up around the pumps as well. Good question, I'll look into this some more when I get a case lined out.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Hmm, i somehow expected for pumps to be quieter then fans. (BTW, you don't plan to record noise curve at different voltages (in case of course. As imho res mounted in case and microphone outside of it should mask a bit of noise)? And does noise level differ for one vs two pumps?) Love fact that you tested with one pump switched off too.
    It's not as apparent in the videos as I hoped, but the noise as you would expect does originate from the pump motors in the back/side and very little from the front. An actual test in a case with the masking benefits should help in that area assuming there isn't vibration transfer noises.

I'll work on the one vs two pumps noise thing. I'm thinking dual pumps in series, but undervolted will be the best combo for silence though.

Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    I'm mesmerized by that black and red anodized tool by Husky.
    The Mrs. got me that for X-mas...nice little tool, although I'd rather have a Kawasaki green version..

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    WC is in for fun times, looking for the next jump, these nice tweaks are promising for sure. Good review/test!. You always do more than review. Your one we need at the XS 2012 party. Please?
    Yeah, some really cool toys coming out. Thanks! I might try that, this year I was all lined out for the Carribean vacation which took precedence.. Would be cool to see everyone though.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-07-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Question; Does the swiftech MCP 355 feet need to be cut off to fit in the reservoir?
    Yes. I think Koolance mentioned they were thinking of making a "footless" bottom available to order, but I don't think that's available just yet.

A sanding belt would probably make quick work out of that or a dremel with a cutting disk should work as well.

The PMP-400 pumps come with the footless bases so I didn't have to do that on mine.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Exactly!...that's where I'm headed next with this, I want to take a serious look at series PMP-400s undervolted. There is a fairly dramatic difference in pump noise when undervolted, so running two in series is interesting to me.
    Yes I was thinking about that as well. I wonder if the pumps on their side actually create more noise then when standing upright.

Looking forward to your future testing, Martin!
    -

If you wanted to fill both bays for aesthetics, but only running one pump so far, would it be feasible to run with the short plug so the tanks are combined, and just plug off the entry / exit for pump2 location on the back?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XiraN View Post
    If you wanted to fill both bays for aesthetics, but only running one pump so far, would it be feasible to run with the short plug so the tanks are combined, and just plug off the entry / exit for pump2 location on the back?
    I can't see why that wouldn't work.
    -

I can't see why it wouldn't either, but you never know. Might as well ask..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sure, it actually comes all setup for running one pump, P1 pump blockoff plate is already installed and the two P1 ports come with plugs as well. It does come with the long reservoir plug installed, but it comes with the short plug in the package too. It should be no problem doing what you want. It might require filling a little on both sides to get the levels full.

You could probably also run fill ports lines up from the top filler holes if there was room to really help top it off via remote fill port...maybe even tie them together for easy leveling.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I can't see why it wouldn't either, but you never know. Might as well ask..
    Well, you would need to drain your loop if you wanted to add a second pump down the line.
    -

Thanks Martin & co.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Here are the details of the PQ curve tests. I included the RPM data this time around. Even though there does appear to be some variance between samples, I thought it may be helpful in understanding how the pumps speed scales negatively as flow rate increases. I believe this is new to the PMP-400 to help reduce pump heat/increase durability at high flow conditions.

This should also give you the details you might need regarding power consumption figures:

Single Pump

Both Pumps in series

What I find interesting is how similar the RPM per Flow rate is for each test and the fairly linear reduction in RPM as flow increases. Anyhow, there are the details.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-07-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    once again beautiful review/testing martin

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Great work and review!

And do you have a picture of the back, as the pumps connected in serial?
    Just to know how to connect it without bending a tube too much.
    CPU: 3960X @ 4.8GHZ
    Motherboard: RIVE
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133@LC9
    GPUs: Quad-SLI 580 @ 970
    Case: MM Ascension CYO
    PSUs: Corsair AX1200, Enermax 1250

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    What I find interesting is how similar the RPM per Flow rate is for each test and the fairly linear reduction in RPM as flow increases. Anyhow, there are the details.
    Great testing Martin. Yes, the same consistency of RPM versus flow rate for both single and dual pump is very interesting. However, the scaling is a little less than linear for PSI - I suppose due to the reservoir as you alluded to previously.

I'm a bit confused though - with reports of dead DDC's being hot topics, many surmised that the higher the RPM of the DDC, the more likely it was to die sooner, rather than later. The conclusion was that two DDC's in series would kill the pumps quicker than a single.
    Last edited by CedricFP; 02-08-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    -

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
    Great work and review!

And do you have a picture of the back, as the pumps connected in serial?
    Just to know how to connect it without bending a tube too much.
    I just used about an 8" piece of 7/16" x 5/8" tubing to loop it for my test. It goes from P2 out to P1 in. I could probably run one more test with elbows in place. I don't expect there to be a huge difference since there is a reservoir between the inlet elbow and the second pump though. I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Great testing Martin. Yes, the same consistency of RPM versus flow rate for both single and dual pump is very interesting. However, the scaling is a little less than linear for PSI - I suppose due to the reservoir as you alluded to previously.

I'm a bit confused though - with reports of dead DDC's being hot topics, many surmised that the higher the RPM of the DDC, the more likely it was to die sooner, rather than later. The conclusion was that two DDC's in series would kill the pumps quicker than a single.
    Yeah, that's the problem with lack of information. Some might argue that publishing the RPM data is taboo because there is a big variance between test samples, but not publishing leaves the RPM "behavior" out of the picture. The truth is RPM goes down not up. The heat generated does however go up with lower restriction which is true but it has nothing to do with RPM increasing.

Here is a comparison of the PMP-400 (DDC3.25) pump vs the older DDC3.2 pump I previously tested. (only one sample and they do vary a bit, but I think the trend still stands out well enough):

Everyone jumps on the bandwagon to say the newer pump is all about more head pressure. Sure there is a touch more max head pressure, but I think the real reason for the change was to flatten out that power consumption curve (Up to 25% less). The newer pumps produce less heat in high flow conditions than the older ones. I think the RPM goes down because the pump engineers have purposely done so to counteract the increase in power consumption. That's good.

We have all speculated why a pump might quit. I personally have screwed up twice now installing a top on these pumps, particularly with self tapping screws (Stock tops). You really have to tighten self tapping screws fairly well to compress that o-ring properly. If you don't you will have a leak that can flood out the PCB and I have done it myself. Most people won't admit to that and blame the pump. I think the leak issue is part of it, and the other part is just the high # of the DDC series pumps in circulation makes the problem seem bigger than it is. But who knows...

What I do know is the newer pumps have been redesigned to help counter heat and be more resistant to high flow setups. I also personally have never had one fail that wasn't my own fault such as overvolting to 30V or water damage, so I blame user error (my error) in the experiences I have had.

Putting some air over the pump base can't hurt, and if you really wanted to reduce heat you could always undervolt. And for those that are really concerned with heat, there is always the PMP450/PMP450S (D5) series options..
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-08-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast