Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going back to barbs...

Banned

Thinking about going back to barbs...

I have been pondering the idea of going back to bards. For me, compression fitting have been nothing more than a pain. I constantly slice my fingers while tightening the piece that goes over the tube. Recently, I ruined the thread one of my fittings (probably from over tightening). When I go to clean my gear, I have to cut the tubing around the rotary fittings to make sure I do not damage them. Barbs are so much easier, but I want something aesthetically pleasing. So worm and Herbie clamps are out. The new clamps from Lamptron are nice, but they are not cost effective. That leaves me with zip ties. I would be a little bit apprehensive using zip ties. I read Martin’s test on fittings, but I am not convie=nced that zip ties would be up to the task of 24/7 crunching with two MCP 355 in serial. Certainly, they can survive a quick blast of higher pressure, but what constant pressure with heat over a long duration? Sort of a long post for simple question; Are zip ties good enough to hold my tubing onto my barb while under load 24/7?

Xtreme Member
    I never went away from barbs myself...

If you're using 3/8" tubing over 1/2" barbs, then yes one (or two) zip ties, tightened down real well, will hold with just as much safety as Herbie clamps.

1/2" over 1/2" will hold; I'd be a bit more concerned about long term use, but not that much...
    (if you are performing regular maintenance on the loop, you'll be replacing them regularly anyway since you can't reuse zip ties the way you can worm or herbie clamps).

Xtreme Member
    If you want to use cable ties I'd recommend Thomas & Betts' high performance ties:

http://europe.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/in...i?part=TY232M0

They have a positive locking stainless steel barb that won't let go in adverse conditions. If mechanics use them on CV boots, they will hold your hoses on your barbs! They are best applied with the gun shown that can fasten them tightly.

I'd avoid the cheap all plastic ones and they can suddenly let go when pulled to the limit when installed.
    Last edited by Rubycon; 03-03-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm. I went from barbs to compression fittings recently and I'm loving it. I've never had problems w/ over tightening or cutting myself. Good luck w/ the ties though

Xtreme Member
    Personally I use 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs. It makes for a really clean look without a bunch of bulk.

- Autobot -
    Intel Q9400 (3.6Ghz) / Asus P5Q Deluxe / 8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    MSI R6970 Afterburner 2GB / Asus Xonar DX
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Seagate 640GB SATA2 / Lite-On DVD/RW Litescribe SATA
    XFX XXX-Edition modular 650W PSU
    Enzotech / Swiftech / Koolance

Banned
    Putting sideways tension on rotary fittings can damage the inner o-ring. Best to just cut the tubing. Different types of tubing have different hardess. I made the mistake while changing tubing. The are still usable, just a wee bit of damage to top grove.

Xtreme Addict
    I love the idea of 7/16" in. tubing over 1/2" barbs. My personal experience with compression fittings is a lot of loosening over time, a lighter wallet, and one compression that was pushed off the thread so I had to hammer it until it went back into place (which made it look ugly as hell).
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme 3D Team
    I also use 7/16 over 1/2, I honestly don't know why 3/8 over 1/2 would need zip ties, you would need to cut the tubing open to get the stuff off. I've had to cut 7/16 off of 1/2 barbs before, getting it off without cutting can be a pain.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by autobot View Post
    Personally I use 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs. It makes for a really clean look without a bunch of bulk.

I use a different size tubing, but this the cleanest way to go and it will never leak.

Last edited by theseeker; 03-03-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    For me the best clamps are Koolance ones...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=25625
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Im also using 7/16th over 1/2" without clamps.

It is hard to pull the tubing off so I tend to gently cut the tube to get it off.

If you take your time cuttign the tubing straight then it looks neat and is pretty foolproof.

Xtreme Mentor
    I use barbs/clamps. 1/2 3/4 tubing. Seen more than one 7/16 ID on 1/2 barbs with pump failure, hose popped off at the CPU block.

I use clamps. But no clamps sure is pretty. I bought the new lamptron clamps for my soon to be rebuild.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...3&postcount=68
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Chasing After Diety
    ive pulled 7/16 over 1/2 b4.

Which is why i at least ziptie that.

3/8 over 1/2 is another story.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    7/16" over 1/2", especially the oversized 1/2" barbs is the ideal leak free connection. Add a ziptie and you're probably good for 100PSI.

The more I use 1/2" ID in testing, the more I hate it. I routinely get leaks with 1/2" ID and it's not just compression fittings, barbs too particularly the short stubby type. 7/16" is all I will put in electronics territory anymore.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 03-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I have 7/16 hose on 1/2" barb on my rasa-RX360 kit and I could not take hose from barb without cutting. Maybe it is not safe on high pressure loops but I think for most of the loops is fine.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Holst View Post
    Im also using 7/16th over 1/2" without clamps.

It is hard to pull the tubing off so I tend to gently cut the tube to get it off.

If you take your time cuttign the tubing straight then it looks neat and is pretty foolproof.
    1/2" barbs with 3/8' ID tubing works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    I use barbs/clamps. 1/2 3/4 tubing. Seen more than one 7/16 ID on 1/2 barbs with pump failure, hose popped off at the CPU block.

I use clamps. But no clamps sure is pretty. I bought the new lamptron clamps for my soon to be rebuild.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...3&postcount=68
    Clamps do not look good

Banned
    I have 3/8" tubing and barbs. could buy some 1/2" barbs, but how do you get them on? Those lamptron clamps are nice, but the prices at FrozenCPU are insanely high. Ever since they gave money to Feser... Where else can I buy them?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    I have 3/8" tubing and barbs. could buy some 1/2" barbs, but how do you get them on? Those lamptron clamps are nice, but the prices at FrozenCPU are insanely high. Ever since they gave money to Feser... Where else can I buy them?
    You can go to http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php and their prices are very reasonable.

Banned
    I am thinking about going with 3/8" ID tubing over 1/2" babs, but have a few questions. First, how do I get them on, without breaking something. Second, what the tubing "memory," i.e., won't the tubing stretch and get bigger over time? Last, won't the heat expand the tubing?

I am Xtreme
    I am thinking about going with 3/8" ID tubing over 1/2" babs, but have a few questions. First, how do I get them on, without breaking something. Second, what the tubing "memory," i.e., won't the tubing stretch and get bigger over time? Last, won't the heat expand the tubing?
    You will have to get the tubing Very Hot, as in close to boiling water and you will need to wear gloves.

The tubing will get tighter, trust me.

I am Xtreme
    Advocating no clamps is, IMO, irresponsible. Any setup without clamps has the potential to pop a tube off, then how good does your system look? Think 3/8" won't pop off 1/2" barbs?...just ask Snyxxx, he was a long time supporter of clampless before the following post too.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...9&postcount=52

Matari, look at Koolance spring clamps, classy, relatively inexpensive and you don't have to worry if the tubes are going to pop off.

Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Mr Swiftech
    I have been pondering the idea of going back to bards. For me, compression fitting have been nothing more than a pain. I constantly slice my fingers while tightening the piece that goes over the tube. Recently, I ruined the thread one of my fittings (probably from over tightening). When I go to clean my gear, I have to cut the tubing around the rotary fittings to make sure I do not damage them. Barbs are so much easier, but I want something aesthetically pleasing. So worm and Herbie clamps are out. The new clamps from Lamptron are nice, but they are not cost effective. That leaves me with zip ties. I would be a little bit apprehensive using zip ties. I read Martin’s test on fittings, but I am not convie=nced that zip ties would be up to the task of 24/7 crunching with two MCP 355 in serial. Certainly, they can survive a quick blast of higher pressure, but what constant pressure with heat over a long duration? Sort of a long post for simple question; Are zip ties good enough to hold my tubing onto my barb while under load 24/7?
    Zip ties although commonly used (guilty myself), are I can definitely confirm it, unreliable.
    CEO Swiftech

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
    I use a different size tubing, but this the cleanest way to go and it will never leak.

Yes it will. Tubing relaxes and hardens over time.
    CEO Swiftech

Lamptron clamps:

Xtreme Guru
    Airs clamps look sexy as! I'm agreeing with all of you guys, and am also suggesting 1/2 barbs with 7/16 tubing.. The fit is that tight I've tried pulling on the damn tubing and still couldn't yield any results , as for aesthetics.. Dd fat boys look quite charming

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast