Thread: Voltmodded 8800gt peltier

Xtreme Member

Voltmodded 8800gt peltier

Any ideas on heatload for a 8800gt modded to 1.55v. In my current setup, mcw60 and koolance v-10 with pa120.2. it never really gets above 40C, So I would assume the heatload is small compared to quad. Quad gets well, really hot with 1.5v... like 67ish, but part of the problem is the waterblock. It cant handle 1.55, goes above 70 lol. So which tec should I get, also how big (size) should I go with the mcw60?

Thanks

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would get the 226w tec and then undervolt it as needed.

Banned
    www.swiftnets.com swiftech site, they sell the gpu peletier and the cpu peletier so basicslly its all about choice, normally 80mm/9mm pelts go on gpus but anything is possible.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrown23 View Post
    www.swiftnets.com normally 80mm/9mm pelts go on gpus but anything is possible.
    80mm... no somethings not quite right here. You aren't going to get an 80mm pelt I can assure you. I think you mean the coldsink. On swiftech the gpu pelt is a 40mmx40mm and the cpu is 50mmx50mm.

Xtreme Member
    swiftechs are not strong enough for my applications. How can 80mm fit on my gpu? I was going to get a 62mm for my cpu, and the stock swiftech is 40mm. I was really wondering if a 50mm will be to big?
    EDIT: /agree with zipdogso

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottc19 View Post
    swiftechs are not strong enough for me
    Swiftechs are designed for off the shelf use to keep integration a simple as possible. The heat pumped by these units was "generalised" at the time the units were designed. Electronics doesn't stand still. These units are now losing usefulness, that's why many try swapping out the TEC's. Problem is your limited by the size of the design of the swiftech unit and in some cases there again by the manufactured sizes of the TEC's.
    That's why generally it is easier in the long run to get a custom block.
    Of course you must remember if you switch the TEC for a higher rating that if you didn't before you will now probably go sub zero. You should ensure when using a larger TEC your cooling is increased sufficiently too, if you don't cool the hot suficently the heat will transfer to and "take over" the coldside and eventually "kill" the TEC. It is also worth bearing in mind that if ever TEC "dies" and they can be killed easily, you will be saying a swift goodbye to your chip because "busted" TEC's are excellent insulators the water cooling on the TEC's hotside won't get remotely anywhere near your chip.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 08-25-2008 at 04:41 AM. Reason: cooling warning

Xtreme Member
    Makes sense, I'm willing to risk my video card, becuse I bought it broken for $40 off another member who tried to voltmod it and ripped of some components, after many hours of soldering it started working and I'm still using it to this day . So I'm not afraid of losing it. I'm thinking now that maybe I will just try 1 pelt first either on my cpu or gpu and based off how that goes I will decide if I want another one. Thanks for your input. I have meaused the bottome of the mcw60 and it is almostly exactly 50mm, so it seems to me maybe a little risky to put a 50mm pelt on the bottom, as there seems to be a higher chance of it burning up if it does not sit perfectly under the mcw60 and I have read the mcw50-T upgrade post in the stickies several times and I think I will the try the 172 pelt. Now the question I have is the heatdump on both the 427 and the 172. I use 24v and 30A on the 427 that means that it will draw 720w correct? So will I have to cool a heat dump of the magnitude? The 172, turns out to be 288watts. Thanks for everyones help and bearing with me. I really want to understand this before I go though with it.

Xtreme Member
    Makes sense, I'm willing to risk my video card, becuse I bought it broken for $40 off another member who tried to voltmod it and ripped of some components, after many hours of soldering it started working and I'm still using it to this day . So I'm not afraid of losing it. I'm thinking now that maybe I will just try 1 pelt first either on my cpu or gpu and based off how that goes I will decide if I want another one. Thanks for your input. I have meaused the bottome of the mcw60 and it is almostly exactly 50mm, so it seems to me maybe a little risky to put a 50mm pelt on the bottom, as there seems to be a higher chance of it burning up if it does not sit perfectly under the mcw60 and I have read the mcw50-T upgrade post in the stickies several times and I think I will the try the 172 pelt. Now the question I have is the heatdump on both the 427 and the 172. I use 24v and 30A on the 427 that means that it will draw 720w correct? So will I have to cool a heat dump of the magnitude? The 172, turns out to be 288watts. Thanks for everyones help and bearing with me. I really want to understand this before I go though with it.
    I would suggest the following TEC for use on your video card:

http://kryothermusa.com/indexf47c.html?tid=55

Scroll down and look at the DRift 0.6, this is the most powerful 40x40mm tec that is available. This runs at 24 V so your current psu should handle it, but I am not sure if it will be able to handle powering 2 TEC's. Also, keep in mind that this TEC will run you about $80 since the charge for shipping is a ridiculous $25. I actually have this one already, I just have yet to use it since I will be needing a new block for it (messed up my olc block). Hope this helps!!

Banned
    when adding a TEC to a gpu theres more you ned to consider than with a cpu. the memory chips are right there the gpu dies are usually exposed and so on and so fourth. yeah I was typing in a hurry in my post above I meant 40mm TEC. I've had custom TEC blocks I've had a Dtek fuzion TEC block, you name it I've tried to do it with TEC's but nothing has worked better than my swiftech TEC block (MCW60-T) but their gpu TEC blocks are a tad out of date with a 80-90W max on them as that is the most that those gpu blocks can pull. I suggest using a nice 120-145w for your gpu you wont neccesarilly see -0c on the core but you'll definately see 10c-20c wic is damn good for those nvidia dies.

Xtreme Member
    Could I pull more heat If I sanded the block down so it isn't stepped anymore, ie more suface area?

Xtreme Member
    Could I pull more heat If I sanded the block down so it isn't stepped anymore, ie more suface area?
    Absolutely, you just may not want to sand it rather have it machined down so that it will be absolutely flat!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by repsol_23 View Post
    I would suggest the following TEC for use on your video card:

http://kryothermusa.com/indexf47c.html?tid=55

Scroll down and look at the DRift 0.6, this is the most powerful 40x40mm tec that is available. This runs at 24 V so your current psu should handle it, but I am not sure if it will be able to handle powering 2 TEC's. Also, keep in mind that this TEC will run you about $80 since the charge for shipping is a ridiculous $25. I actually have this one already, I just have yet to use it since I will be needing a new block for it (messed up my olc block). Hope this helps!!
    he wouldn't be able to run that tec on his psu because his video card and all his other components would take up to many power plugs for him to get enough power for the tec.
    If you put a tec on a PC PSU your risking a fire because the wires are not able to handle the current the tec will draw. The wires on the tec are the same size when looking at them but they are tighter strands and many many more strands for each wire.
    PCP & C even states that there single +12v rail with 60A capable should not run a tec without cutting 6 12v lines and splicing them to the tec as well as 6 ground lines.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks and what about this part? If I use 24v and 30A on the 427w pelt that means that it will draw 720w correct? So will I have to cool a heat dump of the magnitude? The 172, turns out to be 288watt, same with this?

Xtreme Cruncher
    you would have to cool 427w + cpu heat load

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    you would have to cool 427w + cpu heat load
    Thanks

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks
    keep in mind that as you OC the heat output goes up. and it goes up very quick.

Banned
    are we still talking about a gpu TEC? if so there is no way you'll ever need a 427 watt TEC for the 8800GT you just wont. 227w maybe even then that should be more than sufficient bacause unlike cpu's unless you are talking throwing major volts at it the temps wont rise more than 20c as you overclock and if you have it on an independant loop with say a pa 120.2 that will dump that heat without adoubt. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you not spen an arm and a leg if you dont have to.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrown23 View Post
    are we still talking about a gpu TEC? if so there is no way you'll ever need a 427 watt TEC for the 8800GT you just wont. 227w maybe even then that should be more than sufficient bacause unlike cpu's unless you are talking throwing major volts at it the temps wont rise more than 20c as you overclock and if you have it on an independant loop with say a pa 120.2 that will dump that heat without adoubt. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you not spen an arm and a leg if you dont have to.
    hehe I thought the same thing that is why I put cpu.
    I think he got this thread confused with the other thread where he is talking about cooling the CPU.