Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardforum goes down!

Xtreme Addict

Hardforum goes down!

I know there's a lot of...nonlove...towards Kyle and his merry men, so I thought I'd memorialize the fubar for you guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x78gvz8bzytb77j/Capture.PNG

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4zvk9cgj3kcxim/Capture2.PNG

this one makes me sad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21gqcgmpoq6eucw/Capture3.PNG

Of special note...

1. graphics cards and video cards have their own subforums
    2. computer netowrking
    3. computer rams

http://www.hardforum.com
    Last edited by Jodiuh; 10-06-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Administrator
    Seems ok now ??

Has been working fine for me.
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme / i7 3930k / G.Skill 4x2GB 2133 / Asus HD7970 / Corsair AX1200
    ASUS Maximus V Extreme / i7 3770k / G.Skill 4x4GB 2133 / EVGA GTX Titan SC SLI / Enermax Platimax 1350

NooB MOD
    Not working for me... Not that I care
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Working fine, but meh
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    I tested it out on my phone's 4G and sure enough, regular hardforum was there. TL;DR, changed my DNS from Century Link's default to Open DNS.

Still pretty funny for awhile.

I am Xtreme
    say hello to dns hijacking :p

Nerdy Powerlifter
    What was the point of this post?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

I am Xtreme
    Stupid post of the day? What next? Talk about Real Red Raider?
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

no better place to buy used hardware cheap alot of the time.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Administrator
    Or a good sneaky way to drive some traffic to the site, having it go down then posting all over the place so people go there to check it out. Just saying is all

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    no better place to buy used hardware cheap alot of the time.
    Yup, best community for trading computer hardware on the web. The hot deals section is great too.

The site seems to be working fine to me anyways. What was the point of this thread? Especially on a forum known for its downtime?

somebody forgot to renew their domain in time

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

I would make a formal suggestion that xtremesystems develop a news team and a review team so that there is an xtremesystems front page. This would also allow us to give certain members contributions like TheStilts special attention not only to honor that member for their effort, but also help the community.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Cruncher
    XS used to have a front page, but it was basically abandoned. Not enough people willing to the put the time into it, and this forum doesn't even the user-base to support a front page anymore. There are only 37 active users logged at the time of this posting - meaning the writing is on the wall for XS. So there is no real point in putting any effort into it, and based on how long stuff stays broken/not working around here, the administrators seem to feel the same.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    XS used to have a front page, but it was basically abandoned. Not enough people willing to the put the time into it, and this forum doesn't even the user-base to support a front page anymore. There are only 37 active users logged at the time of this posting - meaning the writing is on the wall for XS. So there is no real point in putting any effort into it, and based on how long stuff stays broken/not working around here, the administrators seem to feel the same.
    Having been active during at least a portion of the hayday of the forum, this makes me VERY sad

Not entirely sure what's gone on, except that maybe a lot of people have just moved on to other things/hobbies/whatever... I know computers aren't as much of hobby to me as they once were.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Having been active during at least a portion of the hayday of the forum, this makes me VERY sad

Not entirely sure what's gone on, except that maybe a lot of people have just moved on to other things/hobbies/whatever...
    I think that it seemed to happen since that time the site went down for a few weeks. Then right after that there was a period of several months where the site was painfully slow. It doesn't seem like it ever recovered. To be honest I don't bother checking the rest of the forum anymore since there seems to be so little activity. Its too bad really.

I also don't think that banning some of the more entertaining members from the news section for such a long period of time was a great idea either. There may have been some real lightning rods but it drove traffic to the site imo. Heated discussions are better than no discussion.

I know computers aren't as much of hobby to me as they once were.
    Look at the activity on OCN, hardforum is pretty active too.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 10-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Nerdy Powerlifter

Not entirely sure what's gone on, except that maybe a lot of people have just moved on to other things/hobbies/whatever... I know computers aren't as much of hobby to me as they once were.
    XS is a niche within a niche.

Lots of people OC, but to the degree most ppl on here do? Bc of this site, most people I know who build think I'm a hardware god. It's hilarious considering my level of knowledge is jack compared to a lot of people on here. It's a testament to the quality of the members, the topic & this site as a whole. It also shows just how specialized this site is.

I do recall a lot more people here, but that's when every new CPU generation actually yielded noticeable performance boosts. Since 1155, we haven't see a jump big enough since Sandy to warrant most people moving up. That includes Ivy/Haswell TIM issues. The economy is another factor. A lot of people scale back on things they don't need.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

True, plus most of the nitty gritty of overclocking is mostly gone. Buy 1155 or most any AMD, bump up the multi, voltage a tad, tweak a couple other things depending on which platform, and done. Even then you won't be getting earth-shattering performance improvements, and you're spending $$$$ to get anywhere anyway vs the old days of cheap hardware overclocked to beat expensive stuff (my old San Diego 3700+ beating an FX-57, or pushing the Opteron 165 to 3+ GHz... those were the days).

Water cooling plateaued as well and is more mainstream than ever (relatively speaking).

Oh well.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Administrator
    Yes there is still plenty fun in OCing, it's more easy to do so more people are doing it now. You just don't need to know so much anymore about doing it.

If you want to make it on the bot these days it's all about binning, even more so then the early days I guess. Haswell is a little different than Sandy is also. But no real need to go to LN2 anymore as a good water cooling setup is more then enough for any chip you get off of newegg or other places.

I think there might be more fun in GPU's these days, I don't know really.

Im willing to put in some time for XS if you guys will have me. This forum is not dead or dieing, its waiting for some ambitious users in my opinion. Just look at the volcanic Islands thread. 75,000 views. People are coming here.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    I think that it seemed to happen since that time the site went down for a few weeks. Then right after that there was a period of several months where the site was painfully slow. It doesn't seem like it ever recovered. To be honest I don't bother checking the rest of the forum anymore since there seems to be so little activity. Its too bad really.

I also don't think that banning some of the more entertaining members from the news section for such a long period of time was a great idea either. There may have been some real lightning rods but it drove traffic to the site imo. Heated discussions are better than no discussion.

Look at the activity on OCN, hardforum is pretty active too.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the traffic dropped significantly after the forums lost their iconic look with a board update and were replaced with this more generic theme that is harder to read.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    I know computers aren't as much of hobby to me as they once were.
    I know that feeling. Between kids and home repairs/remodeling leaves very little time or money to put back into my PC. Or the fact that to get a PC to good potential these days takes maybe 2-3 hours from out of the box, vs the days, weeks we would spend tweaking to get to a nice stable OC. OC is more user friendly compared to the good old days.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    Im willing to put in some time for XS if you guys will have me. This forum is not dead or dieing, its waiting for some ambitious users in my opinion. Just look at the volcanic Islands thread. 75,000 views. People are coming here.
    Sorry, but I've been watching the user base drop steadily or the past 3-4 years. It's nearly declined by half since this time last year. Other forums like overclock.net have 900+ users logged in right now, XS has less than 50. XS is dieing, and "waiting for ambitious users" is just going to make things worse, especially when people can join far more active forums and not pay a ridiculous $1 registration fee. Without some major changes, it's going to die.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

So let's do something about it
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast