Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Project] :::Mil-Spec::: (SNiiPE's Optimal Enclosure)

Engineering The Xtreme

[Project] :::Mil-Spec::: (SNiiPE's Optimal Enclosure)

Hello guys,

This is a compilation of posts from my bit-tech planning log. I am starting to build parts in the next couple days,
    so I figured I might as well jump into a worklog here at XS since there is no "planning" section here.

I Have been sitting idle for a long time since I completed Flow, and I've had a lot of ideas.
    First, I started off planning a massive showpiece build - something that was exciting and
    really cool in my mind but in the design phase I decided to push the idea, save it for another time.
    I then proceeded to take a hiatus in which I didnt even think about computer modding, building or anything.

Then the other day I started thinking again, thinking about BF3, thinking about the ideal system that
    I have had in my mind for the past 2 years, and mostly realizing that I have a six month period coming up
    in my life where I will finally have the time to get back to it.

Introduction:

So Mil-Spec is the name,
    The objectives are this: Sturdy, modular, functional, elegant, and beautiful. I have a few pet peeves about
    computer design and functionality that I intend to correct in this one, and as usual I have a couple major
    innovations that I'm going to premier in this.

Keep in mind that as I post in this thread, that nearly everything you see is subject to change the next time I post.
    Nothing is set in stone with this one.

The Known Variables:

As far as parts goes, I have a couple things hard and fast.
    The entire system is based around an EK 140.3 radiator which I have already, it determined the form factor of
    the internal structure I've made so far.

Also I will be using a single DDC-1t+ pump and there will be one video card, and a standard ATX motherboard.

Pictures:

Here are the solidworks screen caps of what I have so far, I'll let you guys infer the details for now but I will say that
    this is only the internal structure of the computer, all of the external is yet to be designed.

Update 2:

The modularity will become more apparent as I machine/produce the individual parts.

Here is the new res design to be milled from white Delrin/Acetal and Acrylic or maybe polycarbonate top.

I know it is pretty bland looking as of now so I dont expect much. The artistic parts are forthcoming. I'm really just concerned at the moment with making the internal parts and structure while I still have a free machine shop and other fantastic tools at my disposal.

The reservoir delrin piece is bought and in transit, the metal is being purchased tomorrow. $185 worth of raw 5052 H32 woohoo!! I will still be leaving the thread in planning for a bit until I have a bit more design work done.

here is a shot of the main shell in a (close to) manufactured state. That is to say this is what the formed part will somewhat look like in the next two weeks.

Update 3:

Today I am ramping up toward pre-production, just bought the aluminum for the pieces shown so far.

Aluminum Order, all 1/8" thick 5052 H32 alloy:

1 x 36"x36"
    2 x 24"x24"
    1 x 12"x36"
    1 x 12"x24"
    1 x 12"x12"

And here's my Mcmaster order which I placed today.

1 x Versi-Cut Rectangular Hand File 10" Length, 31/32" Wide, 1/4" Thickness
    1 x Hand File for Aluminum Flat, 8" Length, 3/4" Width, 3/16" Thickness
    1 x Round Hand File 10" Long, 3/8" Diameter, Medium, Single Cut
    1 x Round Hand File 10" Long, 3/8" Diameter, Fine, Single Cut
    1 x Square Hand File 8" Long, 5/16" Wide, Medium
    1 x Pro-Value Master Precision Square 2" Blade Length, 1-1/2" L Beam, .0006" Accuracy
    1 x Polycarbonate Sheet 1/8" Thick, 12" X 12", Clear
    1 x B-10 Standard Duty Blade for Steel & Aluminum
    1 x Coping Saw 12" O'all, 5" Blade Length, 11-1/2" Throat Depth
    1 x 20 Tpi Replacement Blade for Coping Saw, Packs of 12
    1 x 28 Tpi Replacement Blade for Coping Saw, Packs of 12
    1 x Multipurpose Aluminum (Alloy 6061) 1" Square, 1' Length
    1 x Black-Oxide Hand File Mill, Medium, 8" Long, 25/32" Wide

You can look forward to a lot more hand work in this build, although inevitably there will be some CNC later on in production.

Until next time, cheers!

Xtreme Addict
    I'll be watching this either here or over on Bit-tech. You're going to get one big box from Mcmaster to be sure. Good to see you back. Fortunately, I've got a metal shop nearby that is very reasonable on their alu. I try to get scraps when possible as the guy sells these really cheap.

Xtreme Member
    Excellent i have always loved your projects and cant wait till this one gets started!

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by voigts View Post
    I'll be watching this either here or over on Bit-tech. You're going to get one big box from Mcmaster to be sure. Good to see you back. Fortunately, I've got a metal shop nearby that is very reasonable on their alu. I try to get scraps when possible as the guy sells these really cheap.
    Oh lord no, I did not order the metal from McMaster woulda cost me $800 to do that. No, I ordered from Shapiro metal supply on ebay - $181 and $30 shipping for all that metal, and they gave me an extra piece that I didnt pay for to sqaure off the package so it didn't get messed up by UPS. Talk about service

looks cool man, can I come see it when its done?
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | x48 Rampage Formula | 8 GB OCZ Platinum @ 4-4-4-12 | EVGA + ZOTAC GTX 470 SLI | PCP+C 860W

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTeal View Post
    looks cool man, can I come see it when its done?
    Yup this structure may be done by late may when I leave troy for my 6 month Job at J&J but it will come back to troy with me in January 2012 when I return.

Xtreme Member
    how can i not sub to a sniipe build?
    • Silverstone FT-01B
    • Corsair HX620
    • DFI LanParty DK 790FX-M2RS
    • AMD X2 6400+ BE w/ Thermalright Ultima 90 @ 3.2
    • 2 x 1 GB G.Skill DDR800(4-4-4-12)
    • 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator(4-4-4-12)
    • BFG Tech 9800GTX(stock cooling for now)
    • 2 - 250GB Seagate SATA

I am Xtreme
    Outstanding! Pikes know something, yes?
    Keep it up!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks really interesting! Can't wait to see the results.

It's funny how BF3 is affecting a lot of us in one way or another with regards to our builds.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Engineering The Xtreme
    hello and thank you to all the early subscribers!

Quote Originally Posted by armeniandave View Post
    It's funny how BF3 is affecting a lot of us in one way or another with regards to our builds.
    Yeah, I mainly just want to play BF3 but in thinking about the build theme I wanted to do something that wasn't Black and hiding all the details in the shadows. I have a cool contrasting theme planned between the internal and external.

Got my package tonight when I arrived back to school from mass, tools! metal should be here in the early week and the delrin should arrive tomorrow.

Here is a tools pic from my god awful canon SD800 elph P&S, I'm gonna be needing a new camera once I get my signing bonus.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Wooo, Delrin got here today, it's 8.5x.8.625x4 and it weighs about 15lbs! (7kg for the Euro's out there )

I am headed to the machine shop in the evenings to mill it out this week, should have a finished frame by Friday. The design has changed a bit since I first posted it, but its not worth mentioning the changes as they are purely small changes to improve manufacturability and structural strength.

I was initially a bit disappointed that the only Delrin I could find in the right size was white, but I have since realized that I can dye the white any color I please with RIT dye.

NooB MOD
    Welcome back Sniipe
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

If it's anything like your last build, I'm sure I'll be back everyday to check for progress

Good luck, hope everything goes as planned.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Hey guys, thanks

Look what I got for milling the delrin! 3/4"D x 6 1/4"L HSS Two flute end mill, should be fun.

Lots of cutting and filing has been done, pictures forthcoming when its fully complete.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Here is a picture of the reservoir cut and milled down to size its a rough cut considering I used the two flute center cutting bit to square it. I have a six flute finishing bit on the way to me now. The Alu its sitting on is the cut and filed piece that will be bent into the PSU cover.

Looking forward to this build, good luck!

Engineering The Xtreme

Reservoir Milling!

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a while since my last update, but I come bearing a nice hefty update.

I started milling the interior of the reservoir yesterday and it tooks me all 3 hours of open shop to get to here:

Took a ton of time to remove all that material, but it made today in the shop much more interesting than a plain square hole. I started milling the rear section at the full width:

I proceeded to take the height down at .3" at a time:

Then I milled the lower depth section out at the end of the reservoir that dips

Here I am starting the front section at full width

Completed Reservoir interior:

Milling the Section off the bottom of the res (sorry, phone camera isn't the best)

Used a six flute end mill to finish every face of the reservoir, nice and smooth with such a sharp brand new mill.

Holy Shavings! thats a size 11.5 foot in there for reference, and that pile was only day 2's worth of chips!

So I know those pictures were of low quality, but unfortunately I didnt bring my camera to the machine shop. Here is a set of better pictures I took once the I got back home and washed the res. :thumb:

As far as the case construction goes, I have been working hard at filing and preparing the panels for the bending brake and to begin construction, expect another update sometime this weekend! :rock:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    friggin' WOW!
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

I am Xtreme
    Snipe, What size is the mill you are using?

Xtreme Member
    Nice Res. I love how it's all one big piece (and that little lip thingy). No leaking/cracking from that bad boy!

Xtreme Cruncher
    good to see you back! i'm sure people have been missing you great builds and photography
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    friggin' WOW!
    Thanks defect9! I love the way it came out as well

Quote Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
    Snipe, What size is the mill you are using?
    The mills I used are 3/4"x6-1/4" two flute HSS @ 500-650 rpm and 3/"4x3.5" six flute HSS @ 1000-1200 rpm

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Nice Res. I love how it's all one big piece (and that little lip thingy). No leaking/cracking from that bad boy!
    Thanks Soulwind , thats exactly what I am going for, a solid unbreakable res that fits with the military grade theming of the build. I added those internal column supports to make it structurally extra strong and to add another attachment point for the top.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    good to see you back! i'm sure people have been missing you great builds and photography
    Thanks WhiteFireDragon, I'm working on the photography haha, unfortunately the only cameras I have here at school are my phone and this crappy P&S I hope to buy a new camera soon but I got to get started at my summer/fall job first.
    Last edited by SNiiPE_DoGG; 04-21-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Dude, this reservoir is absolutely amazing O.O !!

Is this your first time doing this kind of work for a reservoir or did you tried it before?

Subscribed.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by guilleguillaume View Post
    Dude, this reservoir is absolutely amazing O.O !!

Is this your first time doing this kind of work for a reservoir or did you tried it before?

Subscribed.
    I've made reservoirs before if that's what you're asking, but no I have never milled one out of a solid block before. I have milled a bit on aluminum though

Today I took what was supposed to be the main body panel to the shop to bend on the brake. Unfortunately I hit two snags today which left me with a need to redesign the case for manufacturability reasons. I wont have a final frame until the end of next week at the earliest unfortunately, but I will still be working on the other parts which haven't changed in the mean time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    is your snag the middle incline bend in conjunction with the downward bends on the side of the mobo tray? only workaround I'd see is instead of downfolding the sides, you'd make upfolds (maybe .5 to 1 cm) instead to attatch a panel to. or remove the incline, but that's one of the sexy, defining bends.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast