Thread: Please help me choose today. Abit IP35-E or Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP Edition?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Please help me choose today. Abit IP35-E or Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP Edition?

Hi all!
    I need to decide today...the abit or Asus. I have an E2160 with Crucial Tracer 6400 coming this Thursday so I need to decide today on the mobo. Now, this is for HTPC use and gaming is not important.
    I am hoping to get 3GHZ or better but I dont think either board should have problems with that correct?

I guess the better Audio (at least thats what I have read) with the Asus will be nice so that I dont have to buy a sound card right away for good quality analog output.

So, does it come down to features only or is there a better chance for a higher OC with one or the other?
    Can I use the WIFI to connect to my router or is that just to use the asus as THE router? Havent been able to figure that one out yet. If I could stream the 1080p mkv files from my main pc via wireless...that would rule but thats probably asking too much.

Well, all opinions are welcome as I am buying today.
    Thanks!
    *CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
    *Asus Rampage III Formula | RAM: 36GB DDR3 (Tracer LED + Hyper X Savage)
    *Video Cards: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

Xtremely unstable
    Yeah, that wifi card can provide connectivity to any access point you may have. I think they are both rather nice boards and imo neither is superior over the other in oc.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Xtreme Member
    Had both...would have to say Asus...not dissing the Abit great cheap board but max with Q6600 was 445fsb...now with Asus board max 460fsb and running 24/7 @ 8x450fsb.
    |Intel Core i5 750|Asrock P55-Pro|CMH212+|4GB-TRI-2000MHz|HD5770|

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These are different class boards. ASUS has much better CPU power module.

IP35-E shares weak 4-phase VRM with their "high-end" P35 board - IP35-Pro. Both aren't suitable for Quad-core overclocking. Dual-cores will be OK.

If you don't need Wi-Fi, ASUS also has cheaper and better board -P5K PRo.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think I am going with the Asus in order to take advantage of the WIFI plus having a better sound card doesnt hurt.
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For HTPC use, I'd want to throw a bit of caution out there about the heat generated by the P5K board. The -E is the same board as the Deluxe minus a few parts, and lemme tell you, this sucker sure heats up the mosfet areas (and there are lots of them). I'm wondering about heat and cooling noise in HTPC usage and keeping this thing cool. Keep in mind that my Deluxe is running ~1.5+ vcore, so this might be a factor, but I thought I would throw this out there.

Other than that, the P5K board seems awesome, I like mine.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    For HTPC use, I'd want to throw a bit of caution out there about the heat generated by the P5K board. The -E is the same board as the Deluxe minus a few parts, and lemme tell you, this sucker sure heats up the mosfet areas (and there are lots of them). I'm wondering about heat and cooling noise in HTPC usage and keeping this thing cool. Keep in mind that my Deluxe is running ~1.5+ vcore, so this might be a factor, but I thought I would throw this out there.

Other than that, the P5K board seems awesome, I like mine.
    Same goes for the abit but the Asus has a heatsink in the area where mostly needed the abit ip35-e needs a fan mounted to blow on that specific area ( mosfets left of cpu socket which need fan on Abit e and can be awkward to mount one ) ....and if you are going for prime stable defo needs one as can burn out mosfet...as it will get really hot.
    |Intel Core i5 750|Asrock P55-Pro|CMH212+|4GB-TRI-2000MHz|HD5770|

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I decided to go with the Asus and should be here by Friday. When I get to upgrade my gaming PC then I will go all the way with a DFI LP as I normally do more than likely. :-)