Thread: will it be easier to pelt the newer yorkfields??

will it be easier to pelt the newer wolfdales?

have got a brand new 437 watt tec rig to install incluing new waterloop but have been holding off as my q6600 g0 is such a hot runner at 3.6 and up that i dont think i will get much performance for the bother.
    Is there a thermal comparison of say a q6600 and q9300 q9450 and q9500???
    affordabiity will mean i have to get a q9450 but i am worried about an fsb wall?
    any thoughts?
    Last edited by barnacle; 01-08-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have not checked all the specs of the yorkfields yet but my guess is it will work fine but if you want to OC a lot then no it won't be very good. I beleave they will scale up just like the Q6600 does and heat will scale the same way.

looks likec2d is the way forward for this tec setup then....
    shame....

Xtreme Cruncher
    you could always try it! but I don't think tec has much of a future right now. If the newer more efficient tec came to our little world then I would say heck yes.

looks like the e8500 could be the chip for me! i'd say it will like a 437watt peltier...

Xtreme Cruncher
    we want to see lots of pics!

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    isn't it more of a factor of keeping your water temps constant, as close to ambient as possible, with a good water cooling setup plus overhead, so that the change in CPU heat won't drastically change the temp of the water loop, then you will get max cooling from the pelt, no matter if it's a Q6600 or a e8500..... then you should get some great cooling numbers to play with the hardware.
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    have got a brand new 437 watt tec rig to install incluing new waterloop but have been holding off as my q6600 g0 is such a hot runner at 3.6 and up that i dont think i will get much performance for the bother.
    Is there a thermal comparison of say a q6600 and q9300 q9450 and q9500???
    affordabiity will mean i have to get a q9450 but i am worried about an fsb wall?
    any thoughts?
    So what kind of "437 watt tec rig " is it.
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

its the wincst labs 2in 2out block with a 600watt meanwell and pair of 120.3s thermochlls. Ibought it off one of the mods at OCN before i reaised it would be silly to use it on my q6600.
    i picked up a swiftwy standard wateblock so i could at least watercool for now but i am itching to get it going but the temps of my q6600 are realy holding me back. it puts out serious heat.
    i was really hoping the 45nmquads would be way cooler but its not looking like its going to be much.
    as much as i reckon you'd give an e8500 a good hiding ijust dont know would going back to 2 cores be a step back, i mean surely with a 3.6 q6600 i am going to need some insane results with e8500 before i even start to noice the performance increases on a 24/7 level.