Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Vapor] IFX-14 vs. Ultra-120 eXtreme (and others!)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    how did you mount the fan on IFX-14? sandwich or side?

Xtreme Member
    I was referring to the temps I'm currently getting-vs-the temps you are showing with the IFX, if I'm understanding correctly, then there really is not that much of a difference when you add the extra 23c on....it's still looking like it's just under 70c for the IFX.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
    how did you mount the fan on IFX-14? sandwich or side?
    Sandwich. Based on the dual-fan results (one the side blowing into the sandwich), I don't think it'll help much to put it on the outside.

Flinch...ahhh, I see what you're saying. I'm not sure if I would directly compare temps tbh....well, no reason not to I guess, but what settings you run will greatly influence your temps, and having the exact settings as me is kinda weird (too high of a voltage for the MHz, IMO....but it's good at making heat and keeping stability at ludicrous temps, so I do it ).

Xtreme Member
    Now we 're on the same page I only run at 3.0 w/1.22v. I'll tear it open and give it a go.

Admin
    If our chips were equal in W per Mhz per volt, my chip would be putting out 80% more heat than yours at these settings

Also, just thoroughly inspected the IFX-14's base after dismount....the nickel plating is already 'broken' along the edges and I can see copper. I had PLENTY of mounting pressure

Also, this Delta GHB is freaking loud....glad the test just ended.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So Vapor, came away generally unimpressed by the hype of the "beast" IFX-14?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMinionX View Post
    maybe for him, im sure there will be many many more reviews to come...

personally, i find the results hard to believe considering the freakish size & design of the IFX...

i mean, this thing is pretty much designed like two Enzo 120's slapped together
    Specs:
    - e6600 3.2ghz, 1.35vcore (MAX 3.9ghz 1.7v) Cooling: Project_Infinity: The search for the best quiet air cooling.
    - P5W DH Deluxe Cooling Mod
    - 2048mb Patiot PC2 5300 @ 890mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.15v (MAX 1053mhz 2.35v)
    - Nvidia 8800gt
    - Silverstone ST75F 750watt
    - Modded Asus Vento (Black) *Heavy Case Modding In Progress*

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMinionX View Post
    On a quad core, yup.

Needs too much fannage to do well, and even then it's pretty far behind the Ultra-120 eX.

Dual cores...no clue yet.

Also, it's the sexiest looking HSF ever....if I were a man who liked case windows, I'd use it. enz660 is right...the design is beastly too, why it's doing so poorly is somewhat mysterious.

Also, I want to see others' results....

Admin
    Graph updated with Scythe Infinity results.

Gonna figure out my TTBT situation later, it's currently in a system where I can't have any downtime, lol

I am Xtreme
    Great testing Vapor, but I'm sure disappointed in the IFX-14. Hopefully it was from the bending of the heatpipes somehow and they do good in future testing/other reviews.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Guru
    vapor, how much of nicks money would it take for you to come work for me ;-)

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    vapor, how much of nicks money would it take for you to come work for me ;-)
    More than I have, since I have $1 atm (well, more than that but it's getting spent friday!)
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Guru
    you know, seeing how that IFX-14 came outta the box raises alot of questions

Xtreme Family
    i expect the Ultra 120 Extreme to beat IFX-14, not by this large margin

thx for sharing
    Mojo
    Family
    Biostar TP55 XE - Core i7 860(ES) @ 4.2ghz - CNPS10X Extreme - G.SKILL 1600 - Galaxy GTX275 - Velociraptor 300GB x 2 - Zippy TypeR 600w
    Criminal
    Biostar Tpower X58A - 920~Gulf - G.SKILL2000CL8 - GTX580 - Intel 520 120GB - Antec HCP 1200w
    Biostar TP67XE/TZ77XE4 2500k~3770K - G.SKILL 2800 - GTX480 - OCZ Vertex2 50GB - Corsair AX1200
    Biostar Tpower X79 i7 3820 ~ E5 2680 - G.SKILL 2400C11 - GTX560Ti - Intel 520 120GB - AX1200i
    Kids
    P4GD1 - Pentium M 780 - XMS Xpert400 - GTX460 - Raptor 36GB - Aopen 560w

Xtreme Member
    I have an Ultra eXtreme arriving in a day or two.

For the sake of saving me 20 minutes of digging through charts and pages, would you be kind enough to answer the following question, Vapor?

Which fan is the quietest (relative term, I know...lol) between these 4 you have listed:

• Sharkoon 2000
    • Panaflo M1
    • Sanyo Denki
    • Delta GHB

The Ultra 120e's temps look damn good with those 4 fans.
    If I were going to purchase one, could you make a recommendation please?
    **Formerly**
    *Best Air-Cooled E6420 1M SuperPi score on XS*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What was room temp for your experiments and how did you hold it constant? I have found that room temp has a huge affect on CPU temps so some of those close results might be misleading if it was a few degrees hotter in one test vs. the other.

Xtreme Member
    Vapor

So you're saying with a B3 stepping Quad core at 3.2GHz and 1.39V load Vcore, and maxing all cores ala Prime95 but instead using Orthos, the averaged temp core as read by CoreTemp 0.94/0.95 is around 85-95C? This is what appears to be the case if one takes the base temp you report of 47-65C and add the 23C ambient temp.

I have a question, did you tough the heatpipes and base during testing to see if they're warm or hot? Perhaps they're not transferring heat well. Just a thought but perhaps they didn't fit them with liquid?

I say we should be seeing temps about 5C less than the TR 120 Extreme or better.

Egyptian OverClocker
    thanks for sharing ur results Vapor, is it possible to add an ultra-x to ur tests
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by evoic View Post
    I have an Ultra eXtreme arriving in a day or two.

For the sake of saving me 20 minutes of digging through charts and pages, would you be kind enough to answer the following question, Vapor?

Which fan is the quietest (relative term, I know...lol) between these 4 you have listed:

• Sharkoon 2000
    • Panaflo M1
    • Sanyo Denki
    • Delta GHB

The Ultra 120e's temps look damn good with those 4 fans.
    If I were going to purchase one, could you make a recommendation please?
    Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000. Really, any 2000RPM fan will get around the same cooling as past 1800RPM the U120eX scales much slower. It is pretty quiet for a 2000RPM fan though.

Quote Originally Posted by graysky View Post
    What was room temp for your experiments and how did you hold it constant? I have found that room temp has a huge affect on CPU temps so some of those close results might be misleading if it was a few degrees hotter in one test vs. the other.
    Ambient hovered between 22.8 and 23.1C for most of the day. Though the earliest tests had ambient as high as 24.9C. I did retest the Ultra-120eX with the 800RPM fan after ambient dropped and got a dT within .1C. A/C was on and ambient temps were measured with a DT200.

To be honest, in open-air testing, I have not noticed the same ambient vs. CPU temp trends you show in that thread (and I've done a lot of CPU-temp tests in the past year). I've noticed that higher ambients give SLIGHTLY higher dT (like .8C-1C for a 10C increase in ambient, in two separate tests, two different HSFs), which is probably due to a smaller fin to air dT, reducing radiator efficiency. In-case testing I've anecdotally noticed slightly more of this effect, but 'ambient' was room temp, not case temp (I have a feeling case temp goes up by a little extra, and then CPU temp gets an even higher ambient because of it).

Quote Originally Posted by GFORCE100 View Post
    Vapor

So you're saying with a B3 stepping Quad core at 3.2GHz and 1.39V load Vcore, and maxing all cores ala Prime95 but instead using Orthos, the averaged temp core as read by CoreTemp 0.94/0.95 is around 85-95C? This is what appears to be the case if one takes the base temp you report of 47-65C and add the 23C ambient temp.

I have a question, did you tough the heatpipes and base during testing to see if they're warm or hot? Perhaps they're not transferring heat well. Just a thought but perhaps they didn't fit them with liquid?

I say we should be seeing temps about 5C less than the TR 120 Extreme or better.
    Yes, the whole HSF was actually very hot to the touch; heatpipes and fins. What little air was coming off of it was also hot. As airflow increased, the HSF cooled down accordingly (by 1600RPM, it was tolerable).

An 800RPM fan is really not a lot of airflow for HSFs like these. The high temps shouldn't be a surprise at all, IMO. At one point, getting to see 96C on two cores was a bit of a shock, but overall, averaged temps above 90C are there and are reasonable.

I expected better temps than the Ultra-120 eX based on the design....but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SaFrOuT View Post
    thanks for sharing ur results Vapor, is it possible to add an ultra-x to ur tests
    Not really...I have no use for another HSF, so no reason to buy one.

Xtreme Addict
    TR need to put some packing material or foam between the heatpiped fins, if they don't do this and other reviews show high airflow (therefore noise) is needed for better results over the TRU120E, I think I won't bother at all. (not that I don't trust you Vapor )

(before anyone asks, my own TRU120E can be used in other comps in my house )
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Should be interesting put the backside Heatsink with the 120 Xt to see better temps.Can you test this?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Morais View Post
    Should be interesting put the backside Heatsink with the 120 Xt to see better temps.Can you test this?
    ++1
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morais View Post
    I'm pretty sure as Vapor will no doubt soon confirm that the backside bracket on the 120 Extreme won't allow installing the IFX-14 backside cooler.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by GFORCE100 View Post
    I'm pretty sure as Vapor will no doubt soon confirm that the backside bracket on the 120 Extreme won't allow installing the IFX-14 backside cooler.
    improvise/mod... ppl take dremels to their cases etc around here all the time, among other crazy things. its a small obstacle, it can b moved!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they didn't pack the foam between your ifx-14 for some reason. you can view my friend's http://forums.vr-zone.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=91
    you can see it in the package that it isn't bent at all with the foam piece there.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast