Thread: Tips and techniques on DICE/LN2: updated '11

Silent User

Tips and techniques on DICE/LN2: updated '11

Hello guys

I'm posting a new thread even if I have already read the thread "New to Dry Ice" and the guides from k|ngp|n in this forum section because some years already passed and maybe some things now are done in a different way, so here we go!

After benching with my top liquid rig and enjoying really much overclocking at those rates, I decited to move to something more serious and competing and after some research I found that going into DICE would be the best move for me (and maybe moving to ln2 when dice is well know).

The main questions:

1) About the mixture to put in the pot before DICE, many user are using Acetone; I don't like it for the nocive fumes, could I use something different like normal house alcohol (95%) or similar with good heat trasfer properties? I've found this interesting post, what do you think about? >HERE<
    And about LN2, will I use the same mixture or it's different?

2) About the thermal compound, which one I have to use and why? (at the moment I have some MX2, MX3, MX4, Noctua NH-T1, Tuniq X4)
    For LN2 I have to use the same?
    Do I have something particular to do in order to have the best contact between pot and cpu?

3) I'm going to buy the following pot, it will be good even for LN2 in your opinion?

A) http://www.piotres.com/?go=4%2cln2%2...60mm_diameter_

Do you think that I'd need an aluminum extension of about 100-150mm to avoid dice/ln2 splashes on the motherboard?

Do you think that nickelplating the pot for 30euros is a good thing or you wouldn't do it?

4) About GPU pot, the following ones are good for dice and even for LN2? If they were at the same price but piotre's is new and der8auer is used, which one will you choose for both dice and ln2?

A) piotres GPU: http://www.piotres.com/?go=4,ln2,000...42mm_diameter_,
    B) der8auer GPU: here, here and here

Which gpu pot is actually the best on dice/ln2? k|ngp|n one? And about the price? (in PM )

Do you think that nickelplating the pot for 30euros is a good thing or you wouldn't do it?

5) About insulation, do you think that the above method will be just fine for DICE? The "paste" used is Oily Plasticine and not Rubber!

About insulation for LN2, k|ngp|n guides are still the best way to do it?

Thanks very much for your contribution and sorry for my poor english, I hope you can understand correctly what I said
    Last edited by z3d.; 10-12-2011 at 03:42 AM.

I am Xtreme
    1. acetone is the best imo, ln2 is just ln2 no need for acetone, acetone will freeze @ ln2 temps

3. for pots, i like sf3d pot, kingpin pots.
    no need for extension, just don't put too much acetone
    nickplating doesn't help imo, just for looks
    4. i don't see piotre's gpu pot. der8aeur gpu pot? its too small for 300$ lol
    best gpu pot: ryba fat pot or kpfat pot
    5. the eraser on that motherboard is lacking, i'd cover more of the board.
    Last edited by Hondacity; 10-12-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Silent User
    Thanks for the answer Hondacity

I edited my first post with direct link to piotres GPU pot -> HERE

About der8auer gpu pot, it will not be 300$ because It's not new, I pm you the price so you can give me a direct feedback

Silent User
    What about kingpin new gpu pot, TEK-9 FAT v6? How is competing versus SF3D/Ryba's GPU fat pot?

I am Xtreme
    they're almost the same, big opening helps alot, and big volume. msi-moa was a show case of those pots

Thermo Bear
    I duno where you got the 300$ from I actually asked 120€ for such a pot and this even includes backplate, armaflex, k-type temp probe and the shipping to italy.
    Last edited by der8auer; 10-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.

c[_]
    Do this to make your LN2 colder.
    http://youtu.be/FReIs6rQbPM

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Silent User
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    lol.

Anyway, someone got some different gpu pot's so we can compare? I'm totally lost atm, help needed

¿
    TEK-9 FAT is the original, the other is a copy so it has similar performance. What sets them aparts is the mounting. If you get a chance to use one with the old style mounting and then switch to a TEK-9, you won't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by G H Z View Post
    TEK-9 FAT is the original, the other is a copy so it has similar performance. What sets them aparts is the mounting. If you get a chance to use one with the old style mounting and then switch to a TEK-9, you won't go back.
    agree'd

Silent User
    Nice to hear!
    So the new Rev. 6 will probably be the best gpu pot so far, performance and mounting wise?

What about the cooling of the RAM chips of the card? I'd like to insulate the pcb properly but I have to keep fresh the mem or they will burn fast..which solutions did you find for this problem? Could you share?
    Last edited by z3d.; 10-21-2011 at 10:32 AM.

¿
    Ram cooling is un-necessary on frozen cards, LN2 cooling will freeze the majority of the card given enough time and temp. This is even true for dry ice which isn't nearly as cold as nitro. With 580 Lightning running under -150 you may encounter problems with the ram being too cold in fact which requires some creative thinking to work around. What you do need to cool is the cards VRM, it puts out enough heat to warrant separate cooling. People have blown cards running high VGPU on LN2 with no VRM cooling.

Silent User
    Ram cooling is un-necessary on frozen cards, LN2 cooling will freeze the majority of the card given enough time and temp. This is even true for dry ice which isn't nearly as cold as nitro. With 580 Lightning running under -150 you may encounter problems with the ram being too cold in fact which requires some creative thinking to work around. What you do need to cool is the cards VRM, it puts out enough heat to warrant separate cooling. People have blown cards running high VGPU on LN2 with no VRM cooling.
    I see, thanks for the detailed explanation
    So if there is some ice on pcb it will not be a problem?

About the nickel plating, do you think that it's only for look or, if done properly, it will help on peformances and duration of the copper?

Administrator
    I have been using the tape method you show on the CPU also, but I remove the hold down locks and tape around just the CPU itself and then install the hold down.

This works very well for phase/cascade also

As far as Acetone goes for DICE, you really can't smell it, at least I could not.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-21-2011 at 07:50 PM.

¿
    Quote Originally Posted by z3d. View Post
    So if there is some ice on pcb it will not be a problem?

About the nickel plating, do you think that it's only for look or, if done properly, it will help on peformances and duration of the copper?
    As long as the PCB is protected somehow, no. If you're talking on bare components then yes, that would obviously be trouble. Nickel plating will not improve performance, the intent is to keep the surface from oxidizing. If you're someone who doesn't bother cleaning the base of your container, then yeah it might help you.

Silent User
    @Buckeye: ok! there is some "special" rubber thing to get or a random one will be ok?

@GHZ: so how you protect the components? Conformal coating or you dry the card after the bench session?
    About nickel plating if it's only for the look thing, then I don't bother

Xtreme Member
    I might like to add that acetone doesn't create fumes once it is cold. It only smells bad at room temperature. This is why buckeye was not able to detect any kind of odor from it while benching.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Stevil, its funny you posted that link cause tonight I was searching youtube for ways to use ln2 to get rid of bedbugs.
    then I saw that channel. I love how they post all this ln2 experiments but actually never monitor the temps with a probe. That vid looked interesting and I would love to try benching with their setup but its so vague. have you ever seen a ln2 bench with that method? how would you do it? I was thinking of taking a 2 liter plastic soda bottle and cutting the base so it could go over the container and then hooking up my miele vacuum cleaner to the bottle neck opening where you screw the cap on.

pour the ln2 in and then put the 2 liter bottle over the pot and turn the vaccum cleaner on.

would it work? has anyone tried it?

Xtreme Member
    Are acetone gases realy so dangerous? I see everyone using it :P