Thread: i7 950 problem

i7 950 problem

Hey all,

I still need to try a few things, such as a new bios, but there is some problem I have with this cpu.

When I boot my cpu at 4.6GHz HT on/off, there's no problem. It can run this with air cooling(mugen 2+ultra kaze 3000).

However; when I try to boot on lets say 4.7GHz, it just won't boot, doesn't on air and today I went on ln2 and it still doesn't
    Also when its in windows and try to raise it through software(e-leet) to 4.7GHz its an instant freeze Voltage is about 1.55v which should be enough.

I think it could be a bad bios or just a crappy cpu. Hope someone can help me here?

I'm pretty familiar with my motherboard, managed to reach 249blck with i7 920, so I guess its not a problem of that kind of settings. Maybe something I overlooked?
    More people here recognise this problem? Its just that it runs great on 4.6GHz, can do any benchmark but 4.7GHz suddenly is over the top

Setup:
    Evga X58 Classified E760
    i7 950
    Corsair Dominator GT 1866 C7 6GB
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W
    Any gpu

Xtreme Guru
    Mind posting your template up so we can see mem timings/ voltages

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Voltage Control
    EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )
    CPU Vcore (1.56)
    CPU VTT Voltage ( +250)
    CPU PLL VCore ( 1.8 )
    **IOH PLL VCore ( 1.8 )
    DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )
    DIMM DQ Vref ( +0mV )
    QPI PLL VCore ( 1.3)
    IOH VCore ( 1.2 )
    IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.55 )
    **VTT PWM Frequency ( 610 KHZ )
    **CPU PWM Frequency ( 1333 KHZ )
    **CPU Impedance ( Less )
    **QPI Signal Compensation ( Less )
    ICH VCore ( 1.1 )

it was like this, but tried different voltages also.

Memory has run on stock settings but also at 1700 c7 and 2000 c7 which should run fine actualy

Xtreme Guru
    Never was good at reading EVGA boards, Whats your VTT voltage in full digits? I dont really get the +250 , " was never really good on my biostar coz of it " , Try loosening timings for now try cas8 @ 1700 .. QPI PLL 1.38 if you can, Ioh vcore 1.3, VTT max i'd go is 1.45, If you still cant get a stable clock at the what I recommended seems like you could have hit your limit..
    "

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

+250 VTT means 1.45v already im going to try a different bios and some of your suggestions

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnubje View Post
    +250 VTT means 1.45v already im going to try a different bios and some of your suggestions
    No dramas post back when your ready, im subb'd so i can help out

thx limit is not exactly 4.6 but close. saw a screen of one of my scores which was 4.634 on air but that was with 4 core/thread. With cooling like ln2 i expect a little more than that.

well, didnt test anymore but i sold the dang thing :P gonna buy some sandybridge setup.

Xtreme Guru
    , Which cpu/mobo combo you going with ?

dont know for mobo, waiting for the good ones. going to be 2600k for sure