Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Mosfet/NB/SB Blocks

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Mosfet/NB/SB Blocks

EDIT: Pictures of the board & measurements have now been taken and posted on the second page of this thread.

Hey all,

Does anybody know for sure what mosfet/nb/sb blocks fit the Gigabyte EX58-UD5?

I bought the UD5 figuring I could remove the stock cooling and make a far better job of water cooling the lot than Gigabyte did with the EXTREME version but I'm new to water cooling and I don't have any blocks to even try for compatibility.

[XC]Atomicpineapple provided some nice naked pictures of the UD5 in this post if it helps.

I will also shortly be removing my cooling array and taking as accurate measurements as I can (I'm waiting on some anti-static equipment, yes I'm paranoid).

Thanks if anybody has any clue where to start with this one!

P.S: Sorry if this question has already been posted; I saw related posts but nothing really exclusively about finding mosfet/nb/sb blocks that fit the UD5.
    Last edited by Bob101; 12-10-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Sorry to bump this but it is quite a pressing question for me.

I've contacted EK, DD, XSPC, Aqua-Computer and Swiftech about this.

Responses so far:

Swiftech -
    No, we do not make mosfet coolers for that board. Post on www.xtremesystems.org in the liquid cooling section, I am sure you will find some help there.
    Have done! Thanks Gabe.

XSPC -
    We don't make any blocks to cool mosfets.

Out Delta Chipset block should fit the Northbridge but I cannot confirm this
    100% as I have not seen photos of the board without the heatsink.
    Danger Den -
    Sorry but we don't have any chipset of mosfet blocks which will fit this board, right now we don't have any plans to make anything that will fit this board sorry.
    Still waiting on EK and Aqua-Computer (I did ask this question over the weekend so I'm sure they'll get back to me in the next few days). I also forgot to contact Bitspower about this though I do see a few employees frequent this board.

Does anybody have any information about compatibility or ideas of who else might be worth bothering about this?

If the answer is no from all of the above I'm going to have to try to design my own block and get it CNC Milled locally. Not ultra keen on doing this alone though as it'll be my first time.

HELP!

Thanks.

Xtreme Addict
    They make them for the Asus boards, but it seems like for X58 that the Gigabyte boards are quite popular.

It would be a good idea for them to make some.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Agreed zlojack.

The Gigabyte boards do appear to be quite popular even with those building a fairly high end system (the kind you want to water cool) this time around. The benchmarks that I have seen do seem to be portraying a fairly level playing field amongst the X58 boards at least at stock and mild over-clocks.

I decided on the Gigabyte board this time around (mostly because I have a bit of a vendetta against VIA firewire and Gigabyte use the lovely sounding Texas Instruments) but I'm determined to water-cool anything and everything that can be water-cooled at this time. (Except R.A.M as I can't bare to deface the beautiful Dominator heatsinks ).

Looking around the board I can see that more people than just me and zlojack are interested in blocks for the UD5.

If you've tried any blocks on the board and they have fitted or even failed to fit please do post!

Even if you're merely interested in blocks but have not tried any please also post! The demand for water-blocks may help manufacturers decide whether it is worth their effort making them.

Also, I notice that there are quite a few people here who have designed custom water-blocks for other motherboards. I'm beginning to feel that it's going to be quite likely this is what I'll end up doing but I do realise that it's quite a complicated process.

Can anybody here please offer any advice on designing custom water-blocks? Are there any guides for this sort of thing? What software is best to use? Has anybody already undertaken this task for this motherboard?

All posts appreciated, thanks everybody.
    -----
    "Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that's the end of you."
    ~ R. Feynman
    -----

-----
    "So, we asked three theoreticians and got four answers."
    ~ R. Herzberg
    -----

Xtreme Enthusiast
    IIRC MIPS was going to make mosfet blocks for the Gigabyte X58 boards. Try and contact them and see what they say. In North America NCIX carries some of their gear.

MIPS nickel blocks would be sweet!!!

Please post your results.

Xtreme Member
    If Gigabyte EX58-UD5 have the same layout with Gigabyte EX58-Extreme on MOS parts..We will ready design before next week..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    First X58 chipset no longer run hot like previous chipsets. Second due to these blocks have to be very specific, it's not worth the trouble for a company of design the block and mass produce it when the demand is low.

I would say try some Thermalrights if you feel that the stock ones is not up to standard.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
    They make them for the Asus boards, but it seems like for X58 that the Gigabyte boards are quite popular.

It would be a good idea for them to make some.
    I am holding off on upgrading to the i7 chip and boards till they come out with some blocks.

So no plans to upgrade soon is what I am saying.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BP-Vincent View Post
    If Gigabyte EX58-UD5 have the same layout with Gigabyte EX58-Extreme on MOS parts..We will ready design before next week..
    In real time what does that mean? Will we see mosfet blocks for Gigabyte X58 boards from Bitspower before June of 2009?

@Bob101 You may also want to try ViperJohn on these forums. Send him a PM. If anybody can put together a series of blocks for a specefic purpose he can. He does exceptional work too!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. The news isn't too great: Aqua Computer and EK have now responded to my e-mails...

Aqua Computer -
    we have no experience with this board. I recommend to use the following PDF file as a reference:
    http://www.aqua-computer.de/download...d+twinplex.pdf

If none of these mountings will with we won't be able to help you with this board since we also have no plans to produce any blocks for it.
    EK -
    I am sorry, but we cannot offer you any water blcok for your motherboard.
    Currently no plans to make water blocks.
    We might make it soon after new year, but cannot prommise you for sure.

I cannot say who might make the block for the boards.
    I am still waiting for some anti-static equipment; after it arrives I will check whether any of the aqua-computer components fit. I will also post the measurements up here and check the measurements against all the other components I can find... with a bit of luck gigabyte were just lazy enough for an old block to fit.

Alternatively, surely a document exists at Gigabyte HQ (or somewhere on the internet) of the exact layout of this board with measurements. Does anybody have this document or a link to it? I'd much prefer working from the exact specification used by Gigabyte?

ShoNuff: I thought the policy on this forum is not to PM people without their personal permission. Is this correct?

Of course if ViperJohn or anybody else with experience making blocks is reading please do post your thoughts! What costs are we looking at and what sort of time frame?

Does anybody have the measurements of the mosfets of the EX58-EXTREME (or a link to them)? If Bitspower are producing blocks for the EXTREME I'm very interested in whether they will fit the UD5.

As a last resort I’m still totally open to the idea of personally producing the blocks, I’ll start the designing as soon as I have my measurements and I have checked that no other blocks fit. I’m simply NOT going to accept having no blocks for this motherboard.

Please keep the posts coming… any information is good information!

Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by Bob101; 12-08-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    -----
    "Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that's the end of you."
    ~ R. Feynman
    -----

-----
    ~ R. Herzberg
    -----

Xtreme Member
    We (Mips) make blocks for this board, i have this board already here.
    But first we are looking to some other boards.
    So will take 2 or 3 weeks till the blocks are available.

Excellent News

Indeed you do!

MIPS -
    we have the gigabyte actually in pipeline, the single freezers are ready in
    cad, a
    combined nb&sb block may be possible.
    we could inform you when we have it ready or if its not possible to make a
    combined freezer.
    for asus x58 boards we have also planned to make combined blocks.
    I'm glad to hear that one of the "big guys" will be making some blocks for this board. I seriously hope that a combined freezer is possible (including the little SATA 2 Chip)!

If the combined freezer is not possible or if this is much further in the future I do have a few questions:
    1) Do the single blocks cool the little SATA 2 Chip?
    2) Does the tubing coming from the southbridge block obstruct insertion of a second graphics card?

2 to 3 weeks sounds very reasonable... of course before Christmas would make me that bit more merry since it will save me taking the whole computer apart in January but we'll see what comes. If it's not too much trouble please do keep us all up to date on how the whole process is moving along as I'm sure this will encourage people to buy this awesome looking board and your blocks too! I must say: looking at your other work does instil a slightly warm "glowing" feeling. Those things look beautiful.

If anybody else has any information about other blocks or if you have any updates on the mosfet status BP-Vincent please do post! The more fitting blocks we can find for this board the more choice the end user has when it comes to purchasing.

Thank you for responding so promptly Six/MIPS and thank you ShoNuff for telling me about MIPS!
    Last edited by Bob101; 12-08-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    -----
    ~ R. Feynman
    -----

-----
    ~ R. Herzberg
    -----

Chasing After Diety
    Custom route it..

Dont be at the vendors mercy. [My new statement for next year]

If one of you guys have a board you can loan out for 2 weeks, im sure bei would love to tackle it and use my mosfet and his nb/sb design on that platform.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

That's definately an option Naekuh.

Looking through Bei's work it seems he does a very fine job and I'm impresed with your P6T-Deluxe package, this is exactly the kind of thing I would like to see turning up for the Gigabyte board.

I must admit though that I'm a bit nervous about sending my board across the atlantic and back and potentially paying the VAT again upon return.

I wonder if Bei Fei is interested in this project and if detailed photographs (with measurements) would suffice here? Alternatively, are there any people in Texas with this board and a lust for custom blocks?

This post is seriously starting to look more positive

Thanks Naekuh.
    -----
    ~ R. Feynman
    -----

-----
    ~ R. Herzberg
    -----

Chasing After Diety
    ask bei what he needs...

If you can give him exact messurements to what he needs possibly...

however looking at that design, you gonna need to put caps under the block so he would need a sample to match it exactly.

Bei said he would do a eVGA X58 next.. he got a sample somehow i think...

If you guys want a gigabyte package, you need to send him a board for 2 weeks.

His work will vouch for themselves.

Xtreme Member
    Does the watercooling option on the Extreme edition cover all those areas?

Chasing After Diety
    i cant really help you guys cuz i dont own the gigabyte board.

All i can help you guys with is builders if your set on getting customs.

How fast is customs? Well that depends on the builder. But under most cases, it will be faster then a vendor coming out with it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob101 View Post

ShoNuff: I thought the policy on this forum is not to PM people without their personal permission. Is this correct?

Of course if ViperJohn or anybody else with experience making blocks is reading please do post your thoughts! What costs are we looking at and what sort of time frame?
    You have my personal permission to contact John regarding a Gigabyte waterblock. No seriously, if there is a rule that prohibits you from PM'ing people it is one I need to pay more attention to. For an inquiry such as this I am sure John wouldn't mind.

Per the post above it would appear that we will all be "Happy Campers" when Six makes his blocks.

Six if you read this, please make them with enough spacing to accommodate those of us that use 1/2" barbs and 3/4 OD tubing.

Bob, thanks for making this thread. I think it demonstrates there are many of us looking for a solution that outperforms the stock setup.

Xtreme Member
    Is 21mm diameter for each connector ok for you ? If its possible me wake this size as minimum distance.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just love MIPS products

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Is 21mm diameter for each connector ok for you ? If its possible me wake this size as minimum distance.
    21mm may be a little snug with clamps but I believe it would work. Thanks Six!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukee View Post
    Does the watercooling option on the Extreme edition cover all those areas?
    In therory, as the waterblock works with the heatpipes it does help to cool the mosfets, NB and SB chips; however a direct contact block would be superior.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 12-09-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

Xtreme Addict
    Does the MCW30 not fit on X58 northbridges?
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Lukee: I agree with ShoNuff. The length of the path that the heat must travel before it can be transferred to the water is huge on the Extreme board. Given this and the lack of airflow around the MOSFET area (as you likely won't be using a fan to cool your CPU) the thermal design seems less than optimal for situations where extra air cooling from the case is not provided.

It's also worth nothing that since the Extreme motherboard also has the option to be air-cooled rather than water-cooled it has a rather fanciful heat sink BELOW the Northbridge block (Picture). Finally if you check out the underside of the Southbridge part of the cooler on the UD5 (which is presumably the same on the EXTREME board) you can see that the heat path from the SATA 2 chip to the waterblock on the Northbridge is very, very long (Picture by [XC]Atomicpineapple). I'm not sure how cool this chip needs to be kept as I can't find a thermal and mechanical guide for the chip. No doubt the cooling provided by the EXTREME board is sufficient but I plan to have minimal air flow though my case (except over the R.A.M) and I just love to over do things.

CedricFP: I don't have any measurements YET but this is one of the first blocks I will be checking for compatibility. Nevertheless a full cover block for the NB or indeed a block for the SB and blocks for the MOSFETS are still required.
    Last edited by Bob101; 12-09-2008 at 08:55 AM.
    -----
    ~ R. Feynman
    -----

-----
    ~ R. Herzberg
    -----

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob101 View Post
    Lukee: I agree with ShoNuff. The length of the path that the heat must travel before it can be transferred to the water is huge on the Extreme board. Given this and the lack of airflow around the MOSFET area (as you likely won't be using a fan to cool your CPU) the thermal design seems less than optimal for situations where extra air cooling from the case is not provided.

It's also worth nothing that since the Extreme motherboard also has the option to be air-cooled rather than water-cooled it has a rather fanciful heat sink BELOW the Northbridge block (Picture). Finally if you check out the underside of the Southbridge part of the cooler on the UD5 (which is presumably the same on the EXTREME board) you can see that the heat path from the SATA 2 chip to the waterblock on the Northbridge is very, very long (Picture by [XC]Atomicpineapple). I'm not sure how cool this chip needs to be kept as I can't find a thermal and mechanical guide for the chip. No doubt the cooling provided by the EXTREME board is sufficient but I plan to have minimal air flow though my case (except over the R.A.M) and I just love to over do things.
    Thanks for your reply.

I plan on having 4 x 120mm side fans blowing air into the case + Since I was LCing the CPU I figured, why not use the build in WC for the NB/SB, etc.. It can't hurt, right? It shouldn't raise temps much if any. Like you mentioned, it probably won't cool as much as just replacing it with one of the blocks people were talking about earlier in this thread, but it should keep things cool enough for a 4.2-4.3 24/7 OC. Do you agree with that?

I'm going to use the MCR320 w/ RES, so I'd probably go

RAD-->PUMP-->CPU-->NB-->RAD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast