Thread: HTC Evo 4G Review

HTC Evo 4G Review

My review of the HTC Evo 4G

My Intro -
    So I got this phone just 2 weeks after it came out. It was my first android phone, I've had experience with HTC phones before which was my HTC Touch Pro. I'm came from the Palm Pre tho. So I got experience flashing phones with the Touch Pro, and Modifying the OS with the Palm Pre due to it's old rooting method.

Phone Intro-
    The HTC Evo 4G is one of the two phones from sprint that offers 4g and android. The other being the Samsung Epic 4G (aka Galaxy S). When I first got the phone, It was running Android 2.1 (HTC Build 1.3x). Somethings have changed with that, I'll go into it in a minute.

Here is the phone's technical specs.

1Ghz Snapdragon processor (Used in most modern HTC devices [Android Based besides the HD2] and the Iphone/Ipad)
    CDMA/EVDO (Which is the signal sprint uses and some other carriers) along with the WiMAX standard radio
    It weights about 6oz with battery supposedly.
    Sports a 4.3Inch WVGA TFT LCD 480-by-800 Capactive Multi-Touch screen (Which on custom roms can use upto 5 touches)
    It has two cameras, one rear 8mp with auto focus and dual flash; the other 1.3mp front fixed focus.
    Internal Memory is 1GB for ROM, and 512MB for RAM.
    Allows the use of external MicroSD card and comes with a 8gb.
    It allows for wireless b/g/n
    Has typically features such as Bluetooth(2.1) and GPS.
    It uses a 1500 mAh battery

and.......a fancy kick stand for when its on it's side. That covers the tech specs.

Default Interface -
    The default interface is using HTC's Sense UI. Which is pretty good for a basic user.
    It shows off weather, Facebook, Twitter and News via widgets. Which also allows the use of icons but what doesn't.

Modding...Modding...Modding -
    Now when I get any phone thats considered a "Smart" phone. I like to mod it. Like I put Windows Mobile 6.5 on my HTC Touch Pro (It came with 6.0).
    With the palm, I used patches to overclock it to 1Ghz (Stock at 500mhz) and such. Now with my HTC Evo 4G, I've tried a few of roms out after I rooted it. Such BakedSnack, Damage Control, Fresh and Cyanogen. So I rooted it, and used custom roms for HTC Build of Android (1.47) then Android 2.2 came out. Allow the use of many new features. But since HTC didn't release their build for awhile, It wasn't a official android for the Evo. When it did, HTC Build jumped to version 3.xx.

Right now I'm running Fresh's Evo 3.3.0.1 using HTC Build 3.29.651.5, During this build HTC removed the FPS cap by default. Which is very helpful, it use to be capped at 30fps; Now I get around 56fps. So stock is 1Ghz, I pushed mine to 1.15Ghz, Some users have reported to get all the way to 1.29Ghz.

Currently as I'm writing this review, ROM Writers are making new roms that use special code to load into the phone from cold boot in about 3-5secs. Right now it take around 1min - 1:30 to load. So this is basically fastboot tech on Android.

I do have to point out, that any cell phone I get, I root it. This seems to be extremely beneficial. Rating this phone is a hard part. So here I go at trying it.

Hardware - 8 out of 10 - Reason: The hardware is extremely effect, 1Ghz processor teamed with a display that can handle upto 5 simultaneously touches. Its main downfall is HTC could have given it a OLED Screens which would have made it lighter, but due to a shortage; They couldn’t. Also the battery life varies too much.

Software - 7 out of 10 - Reason: While the default UI is good for people with no tech expertise. But anyone with tech expertise will be craving more from the UI. Whether it be LauncherPro or ADW Launcher. Another way to enhance the experience is to root the phone. But I won’t go into that.

Written by Jon I. (Warboy)

PS. If you have any questions or anything, I will answer them, I just didn't wanna get to technical with this review.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Member
    I want an iphone 4 because it has the wi-fies :p

Quote Originally Posted by El Gappo View Post
    I want an iphone 4 because it has the wi-fies :p
    and the 3ges

Xtreme Addict
    I get to chose between the evo and the epic, have you used both warboy?
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Quote Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
    I get to chose between the evo and the epic, have you used both warboy?
    I've played with a Epic in a sprint store, Seems too much like the Iphone, Its basically a bastard child of the Iphone and the Android, it uses MIUI Design from Samsung, Which can easily be ported to the Evo if thats what you want.

The only thing I would tell you to get a Epic for is, It has a good GPU. Unless your trying to play crysis on your cell phone, I wouldn't be that worried about it. But I would go with the Evo. Slightly harder to root, but well worth it.

PS, Hopefully HTC bring out a new big update, because I tried the desire HD software on my EVO and its alot better then the stock HTC software.
    Last edited by Warboy; 10-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    yea im thinking evo. samsung has a bad habit of releasing unfinished phones that are buggy and wont support them or provide updates, instead they release a new model. evo here i come.
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Xtreme Member
    and what is it that you don't like about the epic's hardware?

I have an EVO using the 3.5 damage rom. I had a htc wizard back in the day.....and can't wait till a nice windows 7 phone comes out.
    PhenomII X6 1055T | Crosshair IV Formula | 4x2Gb G-SKILL 1600 Ripjaws | 2x460GTX 2GB | Highpoint 2720, 2xAgilty 3 Raid 0/ Corsair Force 60 / 5xWD 1.5TB | Antec Earthwatts 750W | WIN7 64 Bit | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Antec NINE HUNDRED TWO | 3x23" Viewsonic

yea im thinking evo. samsung has a bad habit of releasing unfinished phones that are buggy and wont support them or provide updates, instead they release a new model. evo here i come.
    Thats true. I heard alot of complaints so far about the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    and what is it that you don't like about the epic's hardware?
    who are you talking to? I didn't have any complaints about the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordell Cahill View Post
    I have an EVO using the 3.5 damage rom. I had a htc wizard back in the day.....and can't wait till a nice windows 7 phone comes out.
    Android 3.0 should be interesting, also since the HD2 I think it was is using snapdragon, it shouldn't be that hard to get WP7 on the EVO if your patient. But Android is doing alot better then WM/WP right now. I can't wait for Ava-FroyoHD and IncDoes Evo Sense to get fixed and come out of alpha. I tried IncDoes and its alot better and I like it. I typically use launcherpro. But the new sense is awesome.

Xtreme Addict
    got the evo, what rom you like most warboy?

got the evo, what rom you like most warboy?
    Right now Im using Ava v9, but Im waiting for the Desire HD to convert, they are very nice. There is alphas all about. Main issue tho is the camera doesnt work.

Xtreme Guru
    how is this compare to the HTC legend??

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    how is this compare to the HTC legend??

While I haven't worked with a Legend, I can tell you there is a major difference in specs.

Here is the HTC Legend spec page.
    http://www.htc.com/www/product/legen...ification.html

and here is the HTC Evo.

http://www.htc.com/us/products/evo-sprint/#tech-specs

Xtreme Member
    Warboy I think you mean it can handle 3 touches simultaneously, The galaxy can does the 5 touches at the same time, also you need to try Cyanogenmod6 with snap kernel is very very fast xD Boots faster than 1:30, I haven't done the time tho . Also thanks for the review hopefully ppl will say OHHHHH there are more smartphones out there than the Iphone -_- . Also Ive read that HTC is coming out with a 1.5 ghz snapdragon they said in December, but then again you know how it is in the internet these days lols .

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Nab View Post
    Warboy I think you mean it can handle 3 touches simultaneously, The galaxy can does the 5 touches at the same time, also you need to try Cyanogenmod6 with snap kernel is very very fast xD Boots faster than 1:30, I haven't done the time tho . Also thanks for the review hopefully ppl will say OHHHHH there are more smartphones out there than the Iphone -_- . Also Ive read that HTC is coming out with a 1.5 ghz snapdragon they said in December, but then again you know how it is in the internet these days lols .
    The HTC Evo is 5 touch.

Here is a pic of mine..