Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rad testing one 120mm rad is enough for a full system.

sleepin is overrated

Post Rad testing one 120mm rad is enough for a full system.

hi all after seeing loads of is a 120.3 enought for my system i need more rads ect i decided to do a test how good is can a single 120mm rad be to control temps of a full system if set up right.

o.k build the test rig it heat sources on the loop are

Q6600 @3.6 1.50v
    2 x 2900xt's 1.3v core

Cooling
    DD tdx block on cpu
    ek full cover 2900xt water blocks
    eheim 1248 pump
    all 1/2 fittings (dd high flow)
    tygon tubing only one 90 degree bend
    One 120mm rad with Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) in suck with foam gasket @5v

Os vista ultimate x64 (idle for 20 mins before temps were recorded)
    Temps 38/38/32/32 degrees on core (using everest to monitor temps)
    Aero enabled idle destop
    gpu temps 33/33

just reminding you all the fan is at 5v (pretty silent, going to adjust volts to 7v then 12v if lower fails, system crash)

So guesses on load temps anyone or is the heat dump too great for one 120mm rad (system will crash).

(picts will be uploaded shortly).
    Last edited by -Acid-; 01-21-2009 at 07:56 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Loop some 3DMark for a few hours and see what your temps are then.. Haha they will be pretty damn high with a single rad...
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

Xtreme Addict
    I don't see that overclock holding once the loop gets warmed up. Unless of course you have a 500cfm fan blowing in cool air or something.

Xtreme Addict
    What 120 radiator are you using for your test? How long were you idling the system before noting the temps? I suspect that this single rad will work better than many people think. I would try a test at 5v if it's capable and then 7v and 12v if your ears can take it just to see how big of a difference it would make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

sleepin is overrated
    To heat up system i going to use 3dmark06se looping and Occt v 2.0.0a

feel free to ask questions
    Last edited by -Acid-; 01-21-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    1. which Delta?
    2. internal or external rad?
    3. try loading it with something really heavy, like Linpack + Furmark

My bet? Things are gonna get TOASTY
    Components
    Case: Cooler Master ATCS840/ PSU: Seasonic X750/
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud4/ CPU: i5 2500k 4.2-4.8 GHz @ auto/
    VGA: EVGA GTX570 SC 940, 1880, 4500 @ 1.1v (Lucid dGPU)/ Memory: 8 Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866
    Storage: Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD, Samsung 470 128Gb SSD, WD Scorpio Black 750 (Scythe Quiet Drive)
    OSs: Win7 HP x86_64/ Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64
    Cooling
    CPU: Koolance CPU-370/ GPU: Koolance VID-NX580/ Rads: XSPC RX360, Swiftech MCR-220QP/ Pump: EK-DCP 2.2 (softmount)
    Fans: 3x Noiseblocker m12-S1 @~500-750rpm, 3x Scythe GT 800 @~450-800RPM, Cooler Master 230mm (softmount) @300 RPM
    Tubing: 3/8" x 5/8" Primochill LRT (black)
    Fittings: Koolance compressions and 45/90 degree fittings

Certified Quiet PC Loony

I am Xtreme
    wow nice heat sources

q6600 at that oc is 192w (from extreme outervision)
    2900xt is 200w

total almost 600w!!!

awaiting results..thanks for testing

Xtreme Addict
    it'll work ..... even those small stock heatsink which Intel provides works ... why not a slightly better rad?

but, 120.1 wont have your desireable temps though ... but heck, it'll still run .. just the pump is quite warmed up

i do not know bout eheim pump .. but i recall laing pumps is used for water heater ..

sleepin is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
    What 120 radiator are you using for your test? How long were you idling the system before noting the temps? I suspect that this single rad will work better than many people think. I would try a test at 5v if it's capable and then 7v and 12v if your ears can take it just to see how big of a difference it would make.

hi some good questions

i,m using a innovetec 120mm rad
    the system was idling for 20 mins before i took temp so the loop could settle

room temp is 16 degrees (incase you wondered)

the fan is at 5v forgot to fix that in first post, i plan to work up the volts 5v 7v 12v like you said

The fan is a Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) rated at 190 cfm at 12v 4000rpm 59db's (kinda loud)

And yes i plan to shock people into how well a single 120mm rad can perform (well its the plan but with all tests nothing is cert till the end)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
    Well that certainly helps! Someone turn your gas off? That fan helps too but not many would sit around listening to that. So in my book it has already broke it's realistic boundaries. Too loud and shivering! Nice of you to test this though and I am looking forward to the results.

sleepin is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    i do not know bout eheim pump .. but i recall laing pumps is used for water heater ..
    The eheim is rated at 28w

Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Well that certainly helps! Someone turn your gas off? That fan helps too but not many would sit around listening to that. So in my book it has already broke it's realistic boundaries. Too loud and shivering! Nice of you to test this though and I am looking forward to the results.
    I live in Ireland thats warm for us

As for the fan its only at 5v so pretty silent atm but i do agree that it will get loud if it fails to cool the system at 5v, 7v is a big jump in noise and 12v is just wrong.
    Last edited by -Acid-; 01-21-2009 at 07:35 PM.

That is about 61 degrees F for those of us in the USA.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Looking forward for results. I have a 80mm single rad if you like?

Xtreme Addict

As for the fan its only at 5v so pretty silent atm but i do agree that it will get loud if it fails to cool the system at 5v, 7v is a big jump in noise and 12v is just wrong.

Yeah a delta at a full 12v is crazy. Got one that reads 72db at full pin. Same one that gave me stitches on my thumb when I was holding on to it and it torqued and I tried to catch it without fan guards....Yeah I know I am retarded and should have known better. It was a nifty feeling though. The fan nicked the thumb nail and made my thumb bend and then it cut me near the joint peeling the skin away pretty quick right to the bone. Anyway......Cannot wait to see those results. Curiosity has got the best of me now....
    Last edited by Sadasius; 01-21-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    He has the awesome in fans. There is no doubt about that. That is serious fannage. If he used a spacer it might help even more. Those are benchmarking fans. They are powerful. Obviously they are gonna sing.

Just to give you an idea, those fans at 190cfm at 4K rpm, are 59DbA, and a Kaze at 3000 133cfm is 45DbA. Thge Kazes have a slight drone to them up high, but the Deltas I've heard have a zing sound to them. High pitched. They rev hard. They are what they are, and they do perform. It's defintely in the Xtreme class when it comes to fannage.

sleepin is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Looking forward for results. I have a 80mm single rad if you like?
    lolol yea i will bolt on an 80mm tornado to it if this passes at 5v lolol that would be soo funny

o.k update occt failed saying cpu was too hot core 1 and 4 were at 69 degrees 3dmark is still running tho so it still workin

moving up to 7v now
    Last edited by -Acid-; 01-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    The eheim is rated at 28w

no .. what i meant is ... would the pump withstand the heat
    my best guess is the loop temp will be around 55+ deg celcius

the CPU would run .. but temp won't be that desirable ..

sleepin is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    no .. what i meant is ... would the pump withstand the heat
    my best guess is the loop temp will be around 55+ deg celcius

the CPU would run .. but temp won't be that desirable ..
    the water temp would be no were near that the rad housing isnt that warm to touch.

One big problem i will have is the cpu block i,m using. Its made for single die chips located in the center so its not even close to ideal for modern quad core layouts.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...&cat=21&page=1

A modern block work help loads here with temps.

l

Xtreme Addict
    My prediction: The delta will make all the difference. Isn't that what Martin used to say, that a radiator's capability to dissipate heat was heavily dependent on the fan(s) used? We've all seen his charts that show the air-water difference between slow Yates and Ultra Kaze's at 3000rpm on the same rad, no matter the rad.

I'd like to know what CFM that Delta will push at 5v. What are we talking for an equivalent?

Xtreme Member
    Sorry if I missed this, but which single radiator is being used? I'm assuming a TC pa120.1?

Quote Originally Posted by twwen2 View Post
    My prediction: The delta will make all the difference. Isn't that what Martin used to say, that a radiator's capability to dissipate heat was heavily dependent on the fan(s) used? We've all seen his charts that show the air-water difference between slow Yates and Ultra Kaze's at 3000rpm on the same rad, no matter the rad.

I'd like to know what CFM that Delta will push at 5v. What are we talking for an equivalent?
    Ya. I tend to agree. Remind me... heat dissapation increases to the square of the cfm?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoehorned View Post
    Sorry if I missed this, but which single radiator is being used? I'm assuming a TC pa120.1?
    Nope ....
    i,m using a innovetec 120mm rad

Xtreme Cruncher
    Interesting indeed. And no it can't keep that system running stable on full load like Prime + furmark torture.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Member
    Am loving this, good for a laugh AND interesting. Good stuff Acid!
    Last edited by Fragger; 01-22-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by twwen2 View Post

That test is why I went with the Kaze 3000's for my build along with the GTX 360. My eyes lit up when I saw those numbers...it was directly related to rad surface area and the fannage. Both helps. Of course with those fans I must control them. They really aren't all that loud, but I wouldn;t want them running rocket thrust power 24/7. I doubt full power will be needed on mine even when folding. I would go aherad and crank them for gaming, and flight sims and benching though. Heck for benches I'm gonna pre cool the water to give it that little bit of a head start.

This isa cool test. I bet if it does pass stable it'll be at the higher rpms. It's gotta carry the heat off those fins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast