Thread: Running pump directly to CPU/GPU?

Xtreme Member

Running pump directly to CPU/GPU?

I'm curious... Would I see any difference in water temperature if I have it setup like this

rad -> res -> pump -> cpu or gpu?

Instead of the typical (normal)

res -> pump -> rad -> cpu or gpu?

I would figure that the water leaving the pump would be just as cool as if it was going through the radiator first?

Any thoughts? I'm new to watercooling and going to dive into a setup soon. I've read that loop order doesn't really mater too much in terms of overall temperature, but I'm curious about the setup I want to go with. pump to gpu/cpu first instead of pump to rad first.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dchipset View Post
    I'm curious... Would I see any difference in water temperature if I have it setup like this

I would figure that the water leaving the pump would be just as cool as if it was going through the radiator first?

Any thoughts? I'm new to watercooling and going to dive into a setup soon. I've read that loop order doesn't really mater too much in terms of overall temperature, but I'm curious about the setup I want to go with. pump to gpu/cpu first instead of pump to rad first.
    coolest water should be what is coming out of your rad so you want that going to the cpu..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dchipset View Post

difference are small, with good enough waterflow it would only be a few 0.1 C difference. Go the shortest route between all components makes tube length shorter and one gain higher waterflow. At end temp in loop will end up at same temps no matter how you place components in loop. If u plan go heavy overclocking one would want cpu to be first component right after radiator....

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys, It's appreciated. Will definitely take notes on when it's time for setup.

Love will tear us apart
    Yeah most of the scientific testing by Martin etc found a temp equilibrium is reached in the loop fairly quickly. As far as order it's really whatever works best for you and your setup. Most will say run the res right before the pump but that's mainly so its never starved for water at all during filling. There is no flow rate benefit or anything else to component order as far as I have ever known.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    coolest water should be what is coming out of your rad so you want that going to the cpu..
    Eeep you are behind the times.

^^^^
    Click me

Xtreme Guru
    Kurz: depends. Though temp difference at any point of loop is small, and generic consensus these days is to route tubing however its shorter/simplier/with less tight bends with exception of always putting res before pump .. but in those cases where tubing routing is almost same this way or another, why not use old thoughts like rad before main cooled component (cpu wb) aswell?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
    Eeep you are behind the times.
    Actually, the water out of the rad has a lower temp vs going in. It's an extremely small difference that won't make a difference for many but it might matter for extreme OC.

Wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

Xtreme Guru
    wes: Though theoretically it IS possible that half degree celsius is not enough for "next step" in OC, but practically i doubt that coincidence and i doubt anyone would like to overclock including those extra few MHz when simple heating up of ambient temps for half degree can rob that difference and making that overclock unstable again

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyVillain View Post
    Yeah most of the scientific testing by Martin etc found a temp equilibrium is reached in the loop fairly quickly. As far as order it's really whatever works best for you and your setup. Most will say run the res right before the pump but that's mainly so its never starved for water at all during filling. There is no flow rate benefit or anything else to component order as far as I have ever known.
    +1 Just route it so that the Reservoir feeds the pump and pretty much every thing else doesn't matter what way you connect it all except maybe you want to have the water go to your most heat sensitive component like the CPU before the GPU. Other than that it really doesn't matter much.

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

Xtreme Guru
    Section8: imho with cpu wb before gpu blocks is just like with rad before cpu wb. If you can do it without complifying/lenghtening tubing by much, why not, otherwise almost as unimportant as first old "rule". IIRC to heat up water for one degree at 1.5gpm flow heat source of 600W was needed. These days main heat sources are heavily overclocked/overvolted i7 (upto 250W) and top GPUs like 5970/gtx480 (upto 300W?). One might say that some xtremeties like 3-way or 4-way SLI/CF of top GPUs might noticeably heat up water then, but usually in such xtreme builds there are separate loops, so not important point again?
    Last edited by Church; 08-24-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    wes: Though theoretically it IS possible that half degree celsius is not enough for "next step" in OC, but practically i doubt that coincidence and i doubt anyone would like to overclock including those extra few MHz when simple heating up of ambient temps for half degree can rob that difference and making that overclock unstable again
    Noted, good point there.

Wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

Xtreme Addict
    res -> pump, then do whatever you want.

Personally I prefer res->pump->rad->cpus->nb/sb->gpus.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Section8: imho with cpu wb before gpu blocks is just like with rad before cpu wb. If you can do it without complifying/lenghtening tubing by much, why not, otherwise almost as unimportant as first old "rule". IIRC to heat up water for one degree at 1.5gpm flow heat source of 600W was needed. These days main heat sources are heavily overclocked/overvolted i7 (upto 250W) and top GPUs like 5970/gtx480 (upto 300W?). One might say that some xtremeties like 3-way or 4-way SLI/CF of top GPUs might noticeably heat up water then, but usually in such xtreme builds there are separate loops, so not important point again?
    Yeah your correct. Really it doesn't matter as long as your res feeds the pump everything else is really a mute point.

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit