Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Striker II Extreme: Corruption/Freezes Troubleshooting Thread

Xtreme Member
    You got me confused there. You ram is 1600MHz running at 1333, or opposite?

yeah seems like i got 1600mhz ram running on 1333! strange as hell! never changed the values -.-

i wondered myself why everest and bios told me that it is 1333mhz!

But its kinda strange that the ram dont work properly when they are under the normal frequenzy!

I try to bring it to normal today and maybe my prob is fixed would be nice, but strange enough that the striker can't read the mhz correctly

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyWithin View Post
    yeah seems like i got 1600mhz ram running on 1333! strange as hell! never changed the values -.-

i wondered myself why everest and bios told me that it is 1333mhz!

But its kinda strange that the ram dont work properly when they are under the normal frequenzy!

I try to bring it to normal today and maybe my prob is fixed would be nice, but strange enough that the striker can't read the mhz correctly
    You are wrong, striker II supports up to 2000MHz through clocking, if you are not clocking it can go up to 1333.

Your problem, similar like mine. If you want to go fully stable you must run your ram at stock timings and frequencies and voltage and linked and synced with your CPU.

So CPU at 1600fsb linked and synced. Or alternatively try cpu and memory level, your goal is to keep them the same (1:2 ratio), select your actual ram speed, PC312800 that is then I think the CPU level should be the first or the second option.

If it still don work, u will need to go manual. In either way, increase a bit your voltages.
    Last edited by Cibic; 01-21-2009 at 06:16 AM.

hiho,

just selected ram speed to PC3 12800. can start windows etc as normal.
    Tried to boost the cpu lvl to QX9650 but then memory clock mode is unlinked and memory ratio is auto.

nearly all overclocking options at extreme tweaker are greyed out when i use memory lvl up so i cant set values like linked and synced manualy!

according to everest my DRM:FSB is now 12:5 dunno how stable that is!
    also set ram timings to 7-7-6-18 2T. going to test the settings on stability now!

had a freez again.

So i tried to set values for mhz myself.

I made a screen from what cpu-z tells me now.

strange thing is my cpu overclocked about 20% to 3,4ghz dunno how long this is stable?! i dont want to do any damage but ratio etc seems to work on memory (2:1, 1600mhz) dunno if i set a value wrong and thats why cpu is overclocked that much?!

I give you my Voltage settings, which are automaticaly made by the striker:

VCore Voltage: 1,28-1,29V
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1,50-1,52V
    CPU VTT Voltage: 1,10-1,12V
    Memory Voltage 1,79-1,82V
    NB Core: 1,31-1,32V
    SB Core: 1,47-1,48
    DDR3 Termination Voltage: 0,89V

Values changed a bit while i wrote the values on a paper

Maybe something with the values is also wrong so i might better set them manualy!
    Remember i dont want to push to maximum perfomance, just need to get it stable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after manual ram settings.JPG 
Views:	820 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	91086  
    Last edited by EnemyWithin; 12-19-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added voltage values!

Xtreme Member
    Ok, if you want to clock more the cpu, I suggest you work with the multiplier. Work with the 8.5x, i mean.

Your only drawback for now is how hot the CPU gets, but you only clock 600 mhz so I guess it will be ok.

VCore Voltage: try to set it with loadline calibration enabled at 1.3(actual i mean)

set these values in bios(actual may be slightly different)
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.56
    CPU VTT Voltage: 1.2
    Memory Voltage 1.82
    NB Core: 1.38
    SB Core: 1.55

cpu and NB gtl ref's should be the closest thing to -38
    if you have any usb hard drives, you might want to unplug them because with bios 1104 they do cause freezes.

Xtreme Member
    Guys, i found a glitch. No matter how much voltage you throw at the northbridge if you use usb storage it just randomly freezes. I get that when I am on stock too, so it is not because of overclocking, my guess it needs BIOS update.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cibic View Post
    Guys, i found a glitch. No matter how much voltage you throw at the northbridge if you use usb storage it just randomly freezes. I get that when I am on stock too, so it is not because of overclocking, my guess it needs BIOS update.
    Never had any kind of issues originating from USB storage ( Flash Disk Drives and USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure was working just fine ).
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Some settings as you can see are displayed in red color, YOU NEED to SET those values EXACTLY like I have

[code]Required System Specifications
    PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) = Antec Quattro 1000
    CPU = Intel Q9400
    RAM = 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1066MHz KVR1066D3N7/2G Non ECC
    HDD = Seagate 500GB SATA x 2 Raid 0
    VGA1 = GeForce 9800GT OC 512MB
    VGA2 = GeForce 9800GT OC 512MB
    VGA3 ( if you have ) =
    SPU ( Sound Card ) = Supreme FX II
    NorthBridge Cooling = Fusion Block
    SouthBridge Cooling = Fusion block
    CPU Cooling = Intel oem fan that came with CPU
    RAM Cooling = None
    nFORCE Chipset Drivers Version = 15.23
    ForceWare/GeForce Drivers Version = Whatever was in the disc that came with the nobo
    Sound Card Drivers Version = 6.10.0x.6320
    BIOS version 1202

BIOS Settings
    Extreme Tweaker
    CPU Level Up = Auto
    Memory Level Up = Auto
    AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
    CPU Multiplier = 7.5
    FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Auto
    FSB - Memory Ratio = Auto
    FSB (QDR) MHz = 1333
    MEM (DDR) MHz = 1333
    LDT Frequency = 5x
    PCIE Bus Slot 1 & 2 MHz = 100
    PCIE Bus Slot 3 MHz = 100

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, MHz = Auto
    SLI-Ready Memory = Disabled

Memory Timing Setting
    P1 = Auto
    P2 = Auto
    tCL ( CAS Latency ) = Auto 7
    tRCD = Auto 7
    tRP = Auto 7
    tRAS = Auto 20
    Command Per Clock (CMD) = Auto 1T
    tRRD = auto 4
    tRC = Auto 27
    tWR = Auto 10
    tWTR = Auto 14
    tFAW = Auto 21
    tRD = Auto 9
    tRTP = Auto 4
    tRFC = Auto 59
    tREF = Auto 7.8uS

Over Voltage
    CPU Voltage = Auto
    Loadline Calibration = Disabled
    CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
    CPU VTT Voltage = Auto
    Memory Voltage = Auto
    NB Core Voltage = Auto
    SB Core Voltage = Auto
    CPU GTL REF0 Ratio = Auto
    CPU GTL REF1 Ratio = Auto
    CPU GTL REF2 Ratio = Auto
    CPU GTL REF3 Ratio = Auto
    NB GTL REF Ratio = Auto
    DDR3 CHA1 Ref Volt = Auto
    DDR3 CHB1 Ref Volt = Auto
    DDR3 CHA2 Ref Volt = Auto
    DDR3 CHB2 Ref Volt = Auto

CPU Configuration
    CPU Internal Thermal Control = Auto
    Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
    Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Enabled
    Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
    Virtualization Technology = Enabled
    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(tm) Tech. = Enabled
    CPU Core 2 = Enabled
    CPU Core 3 = Enabled
    CPU Core 4 = Enabled

Spread Spectrum Control
    CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto
    PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto
    MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto
    SATA Spread Spectrum = Disabled
    LDT Spread Spectrum = Auto

I've had this board for a little over a week and everything works fine until I try to use media center, WinTV, video editing etc. and also try to surf the net. All is stable for about 30 minutes then it locks up and I have to do a hard reset, I love this board but at the same time I want to take a hammer to it. Can someone please help!

hey guys,
    i think i solved my prob.
    seems like my timings where set wrong.
    i changed cpu clock to normal settings and just fixed the ram timings (set them higher to 9-9-9-22) and left the ram on 1333mhz (dram frequenzy at 667mhz and ratio 2:1) for now, to see if it works without any overclocking at all.

And yes finally it did yesterday like 5-6 hours without any freeze or lagg in 3 different games (including nfs undercover where i had mostly very fast freezes and hard laggs, but they were gone )

I can'T support the "problem" with the usb devices, i had freezes with usb devices pluged in and without, so in my opinion it doesnt matter!
    Just install new drivers for chipset and the other stuff, worked out in my case!

Xtreme Member
    You mean this could be on the disk controller(the usb)? I tried 3 external hdds of different brands and once I plug them in, I always get freezing and it gets worse if I'm transferring data to and from it. I did some intense torturing to my system, 24 hours primed blend and gpu caps viewer, the fur rendering and no freeze or bsod whatsoever. Once I connect the external hdd I get freezing in a matter of minutes. It seems I am not the only one with this issue, but other guys get it with e-sata too, mostly usb though. I was considering to update to beta bios as some1 seemed to resolve this problem, but I am not willing to take that risk, this board is unstable with stable bios. What you reccon BenchZowner ?

btw can anyone tell me why so many people got the 1202 bios?

i read it came out in the mid of 2007? dont think it supports so much new rams?
    or whats so special at all on 1202?
    i got 1104 and away from some freezes and laggs, i now have fixed, it works fine!

Bios 1202 fixes many black holes in the fsb i noticed before i could never do 1600fsb linked and synced had to always put it to 1601 or 1602 ,but with 1202 it works fine and seems u can lower your vcore to for overclocking compared to previous bios revs.

according to asus.com the newest version for a striker bios is version 1104 (released on 24.09.2008).
    So is a 1202 bios newer because the version number is higher?
    is it an inofficial release or a beta?

Just dont understand how an (i think) older bios can be better then the newest one directly from asus

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyWithin View Post
    btw can anyone tell me why so many people got the 1202 bios?

i read it came out in the mid of 2007? dont think it supports so much new rams?
    or whats so special at all on 1202?
    I believe you're confusing the Striker Extreme with the Striker II Extreme.
    We're talking about the Striker II Extreme, and 1202 is the newest BIOS available for this board.
    And was released somewhere in mid November 2008.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I believe you're confusing the Striker Extreme with the Striker II Extreme.
    We're talking about the Striker II Extreme, and 1202 is the newest BIOS available for this board.
    And was released somewhere in mid November 2008.
    1202 is the newest bios for striker extreme 2???
    Asus site has the 1104 as the latest bios...
    Where i can find the 1202?
    Last edited by NEOKFIRE7; 12-21-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Never had any kind of issues originating from USB storage ( Flash Disk Drives and USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure was working just fine ).
    I have some freezes when i turn on the e-sata disk.
    My system freeze for 3-4 sec and after resume normaly....Also many times , at reading the HDD , it makes little stops...
    Do u have any idea why??

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOKFIRE7 View Post
    1202 is the newest bios for striker extreme 2???
    Asus site has the 1104 as the latest bios...
    Where i can find the 1202?
    Here

I have some freezes when i turn on the e-sata disk.
    My system freeze for 3-4 sec and after resume normaly....
    That's normal, Windows need to detect and initialize the HDD.

It isn,t official?
    Info for changes??

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    It is official.
    The difference is that it's a Beta and not a "stable" release ( it means that it's not fully tested by Asus, so there might be a few bugs or issues, but it can also be perfectly fine ).
    There's no change log available.

About the problem of Hdd that sometimes freeze??
    For example if i listen a track and search for a file, it makes somes freezes..
    Any suggestion?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    About the problem of Hdd that sometimes freeze??
    For example if i listen a track and search for a file, it makes somes freezes..
    Any suggestion?
    Perhaps your controller turned the mode down to PIO Mode ?
    Go to your device manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers category, and check the properties of every Primary & Secondary channel, make sure that none of your HDDs are running in PIO Mode.

Xtreme Member

Welcome Back

BenchZower back, I have learned a lot from your contribution to this tread helping us get our boards stable. Your review was also helpful. I have studied all your input in this thread. If others would read your input and suggestions I am sure it should solve a lot of peoples problems. I do not think people realize the voltage range available and often needed on this nvidia board versus the intel chipsets. I now have two Striker Extreme II stable at 1800 FSB. Once I add another radiator to my water cooling after the holidays I may be tempted to trying upping the FSB again. Thanks again
    i7-930
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Corsaire PC3 2000C8 12G
    EVGA 480 GTX
    EVGA 450 for Phyx
    WD VelociRaptor 600
    Hitachi 2TGB Raid Mirror
    Asus Xonar D2X
    Corsair 800D
    Watercooled

@deathspine:

i think your right when you say that reading can solve many problems but in some cases like mine it didnt help much, because noone had rams like mine (from mushkin) so its kinda hard when you mostly read about corsair or whatever ram and not much/never about your ram manufacturer

but in the end we all learn a lot and thats why i would like to thank all of you (especially benchzowner) for their passion on pcs and hardware and for their clues and hints on solving other people problems!

Perhaps your controller turned the mode down to PIO Mode ?
    Go to your device manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers category, and check the properties of every Primary & Secondary channel, make sure that none of your HDDs are running in PIO Mode.
    Οκ thnks a lot for your quick post..
    I will check it. I hope to find it.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast