Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Apogee GTX

do u think that 1 laing D5 is powerful enough for that block?....is in that block used AL?....does i cause any effect with cooper?...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Who will be running this block with just water + biocide?

If they run it for a while with no problems, and Scotts tests show it to be the top performing on a E6600 then I will buy in a second.

Do G1/4 barbs fit this?

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Yes it is G1/4"

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Chasing After Diety
    And yes i think a single D5 would be fine with this pump provided your NOT running a bling bling Full Cover GFX card block.

However, i would like to see the results of this block with different flows. :P

Kinda curious to see if it is my FC blocks causing all this friggin restriction on my loop, or if it is indeed that this block increases its performance by adding more flow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I take it, it probably would have more restriction than the normal GT being as the block is more low profile?

So not as much space for water to flow through? Just a guess though.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Description states optional hold down available for 754/939/940. My question is where? Even Swiftech's store doesn't seem to carry it.
    sorry about this oversight. We'll add it on monday.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    I wish it had been available when I ordered my block, I might have gotten one.
    I'm willing to send out a custom polycarbonate reservoir to the first person who gets it to corrode in their loop while using proper precautions (EG, the people who say that it will fall apart and galvanically eat everything), as even musical instrument plating will last 40-50 years in many circumstances just fine. I should know, I've owned more than one instrument that old, with perfectly fine, thick plating. I don't personally care flying donut one what Swiftech's loss or gain is on this one, but I have a LOT of experience with plated metals (have worked as a brass instrument repairman) and if it's THAT level of plating, my Dremel and a diamond tip would spend 20+ minutes getting enough aluminum to damage anything.

That said, I wish I had one, it's pretty awesome looking, with the performance to boot...

Xtreme Addict
    so do i need more flow than the 315GPH the D5 can give?? it seems like many of u suggest that has more restriction than other blocks
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by theteamaqua View Post
    so do i need more flow than the 315GPH the D5 can give?? it seems like many of u suggest that has more restriction than other blocks
    Well I wouldn't say it was storm restrictive, I suppose it depends what else you have in the loop.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    I wish it had been available when I ordered my block, I might have gotten one.
    I'm willing to send out a custom polycarbonate reservoir to the first person who gets it to corrode in their loop while using proper precautions (EG, the people who say that it will fall apart and galvanically eat everything), as even musical instrument plating will last 40-50 years in many circumstances just fine. I should know, I've owned more than one instrument that old, with perfectly fine, thick plating. I don't personally care flying donut one what Swiftech's loss or gain is on this one, but I have a LOT of experience with plated metals (have worked as a brass instrument repairman) and if it's THAT level of plating, my Dremel and a diamond tip would spend 20+ minutes getting enough aluminum to damage anything.

That said, I wish I had one, it's pretty awesome looking, with the performance to boot...

well if your right then it would be fine..but I doubt(and Gabe correct me if I am wrong) that the plating is anywhere near the quality on a musically instrument(100s-1000s of dollars vs $75/80 cpu block)
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    well if your right then it would be fine..but I doubt(and Gabe correct me if I am wrong) that the plating is anywhere near the quality on a musically instrument(100s-1000s of dollars vs $75/80 cpu block)
    i had the fortune to work with military grade stuff. And believe me, if gabe asures me its military grade, then thats good enough for me.

Also ive done plenty of reading about zinc, im was also a biochem major in college so i took my share of phsical chem, and inorganic chem, so if the plating was done correctly, the zinc will act as a electron bank.

Plenty of these statements were discussed eariler.

And yes im sure galavinc corrosion will occur but, im sure by the time it gets noticible, the block will be sitting on my desk as a collection, and hopefully i'll get a silver block as a replacement.

BTW: gabe any news on a apogeeGTX in silver :P

And i know im gonna get flamed for this statement, but honestly, tihs is the best non sub ambient block ive used so far. If you know of a better block near the same price range... I know cathars G7 is better, but find it for me sub 250..

Just wish it came with factory recomended backplate and screws. Maybe it might reduce my bow a little.

Mr Swiftech
    The quality of plating is defined by specifications. At equal specifications, the quality of a plated flute will be exactly the same as a that of a plated water-block. The cost of plating a musical instrument will be much higher simply because of the much larger surface area to plate.

Frankly, I don't know if manufacturers of musical instruments publish their plating specifications. After all, musicians might not be as interested in the manufacturing process as they are in the musical characteristics of their instrument. Conversely, our audience is composed of engineers and technically oriented people who need industry standard references (ASTM, MilSpec) to evaluate our manufacturing quality standards.
    CEO Swiftech

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    I have a feeling we may see a delrin GTX top

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    Then I have a feeling I will buy a GTX in the future.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Hamster Powered
    Or what about a brass top?
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    what are you guys talking about a "flexing" base. if your refering to the actual bottom of the block (the pins) than your putting way more pressure then you should be.

and another vote for the delrin top here.

less **** in my loop, more water = more performance.

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    stopit, you'll make me slide out of my chair

andyc
    I have a TDX with the brass top option and it is very nice.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Mr Swiftech
    good info Gabe and thanks. So your saying this couldn't happen with your plating specs. I took your advise back a few weeks ago and did some research. Little different enviroment, but plating based on your specs would seem to be the cause generaly speaking.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...143962&page=10

Not trying to stir anything up, or disputing your claims/integrity, just asking a honest question, becuase this is what concerns me. that and the extreme bow when using large O ring, and the stress caused when mounting and unmounting on the base,

andyc
    Will get back to you on these topics next week.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    The quality of plating is defined by specifications. At equal specifications, the quality of a plated flute will be exactly the same as a that of a plated water-block. The cost of plating a musical instrument will be much higher simply because of the much larger surface area to plate.

Frankly, I don't know if manufacturers of musical instruments publish their plating specifications. After all, musicians might not be as interested in the manufacturing process as they are in the musical characteristics of their instrument. Conversely, our audience is composed of engineers and technically oriented people who need industry standard references (ASTM, MilSpec) to evaluate our manufacturing quality standards.
    Ok..maybe I am wrong..if so thank you for the correction...but I still have my concerns..founded or unfounded

the other issue and maybe as important or more so..is the amount of bowing on this board with larger O-ring needed to get performance and possible issues for the mobo....
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Hamster Powered
    same here, block I started out with, building on a lesser rig now as our home/office server. Not in the same performance class as the GT/GTX or Fuzion based on my experience , but still OK for less heat generating procs.

andyc
    Same here it is what I started with and quickly went to a Storm rev2 then to the current FuZion. I do not use the TDX but the brass top was a nice upgrade from the Lucite.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

Chasing After Diety
    Ok..maybe I am wrong..if so thank you for the correction...but I still have my concerns..founded or unfounded

the other issue and maybe as important or more so..is the amount of bowing on this board with larger O-ring needed to get performance and possible issues for the mobo....
    neal, actually im thinkn this bowing might be bad. My MCP, which i thought i mounted correctly, might have been nudged from the bowing. Im trying to get members feedbacks on tehre MCP temp.

Or it could be my boards temp sensors.... But i'll get back to you guys as soon as i find out more info on this.

PS. How long does it take for the block to be perm bowed? i might need to unbow it if i cant fit this NB correctly.

Xtreme Member
    GTX with a delrin top might as well be a called GTS?

But at the end of the day, I doubt there will be a GTS, if none of the other Apogee blocks will be EOL'ed...
    Swiftech are known to have a small product portfolio, so having the regular Apogee, 1U server, GT, GTS and GTX, one should be foolish to think ever happened...

I'm more excited to see when the MCW60 will be updated with the GT/GTX bottom plate (MCW70?).
    It should be possible for Swiftech to make the same longer path from GTX on the MCW70...
    Or maybe save it for a MCW70 GTX with the same stylish top as Apogee GTX...
    Then we just need a MCW30 GTX
    The Swiftech GTX family is born

UPDATE:
    I just saw the regular Apogee has been removed from their site, which must mean its EOL'ed...

But still 4 different CPU blocks from Swiftech would be history
    /Thomas
    Last edited by Thomas FJ; 04-07-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Having worked more copper than it's right for a man to touch, I found that copper's metal memory was decent, but not spectacular, and the amount of deformation defined the amount of memory (unlike say beryllium, which once formed, you could crush and it would unfold) and if it it bowed too badly, it will not reform.

That's a fscked up mount in my opinion, but my opinion counts little around here, I'm willing to bet. But anyway, I wanted to drop in and add my experience to the thread, and drop Gabe a vote of confidence.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm dropping off my case to ChilledPC monday for powdercoating, he has this block in stock.

So, let me get an honest answer.

I'm safe to run this block on water and biocide alone? No engine coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The thing that concerns me is the thread for the barbs.

Because surely, you would have to plate the top and then tap the holes for the barbs?

You couldn't do it the other way around surely because you would be doing the thread size + width of plating.

Meaning the thread wouldn't fit surely?

So if you tap the hole with the plating on, then you will be removing said plating.. if you get me :|

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast