Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Xonar Essence "One"

Xtreme Enthusiast

New Xonar Essence "One"

This thing looks awesome. It does bit-perfect 192Khz. This is so my next DAC. I would project around $300 on release.

Here are some early working specs..
    1. Hardware

Front IO:
    Headphone out (1/4)
    Headphone amp gain knob
    Line out volume (independent to headphone volume)
    LED indicators showing current playback sample rate
    LED showing bit perfect (lights up when you’re kernel streaming)
    Source select (USB/SPDIF)
    Mute – it fades out instead of cut out the sound immediately, whichwill protect your gear, the same rules apply when you un-mute.
    Power
    Upsampling on/off
    There is an estimated a 3% boost to SNR/THD when upsampling.

Back I/O:
    Line out: RCA & XLR, unlike ST/STX, line out doesn’t share thesame DAC with headphone out. (XLR is balanced I/O and RCA is unbalanced)
    S/PDIF in (both types)
    USB in
    AC in – a linear power adapter built inside to get the best power available

2. Software

A “invisible” driver, without it’s own UI and DSP settings. It gives you 192K and bit-perfect ASIO support it needs driver installation to work.

Circuit Details:
    Input: USB2.0, S/Pdif
    MAIN DAC: TI PCM1795
    HeadAmp: NS LME49600TS -support up to 600ohm headphones.
    Upsampling to 352.8Khz(44.1/88.2/176.4Khz) or 384Khz (48/96/192Khz), 32bit
    Outputs: 1/4" headphone output
    Unbalanced RCA line out
    Balanced XLR Line out

GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love the look, but what's the price?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    is the amp worth it for the HD595 Sennheiser headphones ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    I love the look, but what's the price?
    Price isn't released. Most speculate $250-$300.

Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    is the amp worth it for the HD595 Sennheiser headphones ?
    A quality headphone amp is always a good thing for higher-end headphones with more resistance.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates

looks nice i might finally update my sba2 plat pro
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    looks nice i might finally update my sba2 plat pro
    how much?
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great post. The integrated amp + features + sleek look is going to put this on my do want list. There isn't anything like this on the market. Gotta love Asus for pushing new products like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    how much?
    i dont think that i could sell it, its the oldest part i have that i use and its been with me since my athlon xp.

Quote Originally Posted by kadozer View Post
    Great post. The integrated amp + features + sleek look is going to put this on my do want list. There isn't anything like this on the market. Gotta love Asus for pushing new products like this.
    u can get semi pro audio stuff, like the m-audio box every dj wantabe be has on their macbook. those have rca and balanced mic jacks and high powered 1/4" jacks this new asus one has SPDIF in so it should be alot better than thngs going usb for computer use.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    looks insanely nice, but whats the price range and we need to see a review of the pcb!!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Batrachian
    What we really need is a in depth review of how the driver behaves in both x86 and x64 OSs

Too many audio products have great specifications on paper, get stellar reviews and then at the time of actually using them one finds out that they're plagued with software issues (SCP, ridiculous latency, stuttering/aberrations using DDLive/DTS Connect, I could go on forever really...) that never get sorted out (the average driver release rate for dedicated sound cards is what? a driver revision every 6 months?)

Apologies if I sound bitter, but I had mixed experiences with sound cards under XP and very bad experiences since I moved to Win7 x64.

EDIT: And yeah, the last two cards to give me headaches were ASUS sound cards. Of course in the end it boiled down to a third party with no relationship with C-Media or ASUS to release a hacked driver to make the cards functonal.
    Last edited by MrToad; 03-09-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    What we really need is a in depth review of how the driver behaves in both x86 and x64 OSs

Too many audio products have great specifications on paper, get stellar reviews and then at the time of actually using them one finds out that they're plagued with software issues (SCP, ridiculous latency, stuttering/aberrations using DDLive/DTS Connect, I could go on forever really...) that never get sorted out (the average driver release rate for dedicated sound cards is what? a driver revision every 6 months?)

Apologies if I sound bitter, but I had mixed experiences with sound cards under XP and very bad experiences since I moved to Win7 x64.
    which card(s)?

I've only ever had *one BSOD with a bad driver *install in XP64 with my X-Fi XM.. still have the card.. still working flawlessly, have done so in: XP32, XP64, Server03, W7 32 & 64 bit & WS08R2

edit: oh, I see ur edit never had an Asus s.card, so cant comment there

heatware / ebay

Xtreme Member
    which card(s)?

I've only ever had *one BSOD with a bad driver *install in XP64 with my X-Fi XM.. still have the card.. still working flawlessly, have done so in: XP32, XP64, Server03, W7 32 & 64 bit & WS08R2

edit: oh, I see ur edit never had an Asus s.card, so cant comment there
    I've had 2 separate Creative cards die and take my OS with them.

My Xonar D2X has never once caused me a single issue. Ever.
    "TV and the internet are good because they keep stupid people form spending too much time out in public."
    -jPod, by Douglas Coupland

"There is no Todd"
    -Dilbert, by Scott Adams

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ABXG View Post
    I've had 2 separate Creative cards die and take my OS with them.

My Xonar D2X has never once caused me a single issue. Ever.
    it took the OS with them?!? how the heck does that happen?!? ....I'm just trying to think if I've ever had *any driver for *any hardware take an OS.....mmmmm......

heatware / ebay

Xtreme Batrachian
    which card(s)?

Auzentech prelude:

It was OK in WinXP x64, when I moved to Win7 x64 DDLive started misbehaving. It would reset at random intervals (making a loud "tearing fabric" noise, followed by a prolonged silence)
    Besides this SCP made it's appearance. That's without any hardware changes, just changing the OS.

X-Fi Ti Fatal1ty:

DDLive showed similar behaviour to the Prelude with DDLive, but in a completely different rig (the Prelude was in a Socket 775 rig, the X-Fi in a socket 1366 rig) which had no hardware in common.

After a a day or two the sound would start stuttering (mainly while playing games, but happened while just doing desktop use a couple of times too), then the rig would, within a couple of minutes, slow down to a crawl then freeze. No BSOD, no obvious clues in the logs.

Removed the X-Fi, problem went away.

Asus Xonar Essence STX and ST:

Horendous latency using DDLive. About 2-3 seconds.
    After a completely uneventful session, switch off computer. Switch on again, sound card drivers can't load (complains the device manager).
    Remove drivers and device from device manager, clean drivers, try to reinstall, although the card is detected and is in the device manager with the yellow question mark (and PNP ID is detected correctly), driver installer doesn't "see" the card, and refuses to install the driver.
    So you keep rebooting and trying until it does. Or you reinstall Win7 and start all over again. Until the problem presents itself again.

These problems are not unique to myself a my hardware configuration. Of course if you google it you will find only posts by people experiencing the problem, not posts by happy customers with fully functional products.

But still, there's one too many of us.

Indeed all these cards had really positive reviews that not once mentioned driver issues at all.

EDIT:

My bottom line is:

a) If you want DDLive or DTSConnect, brace yourself. It might actually be worth to forget about it and buy a different receiver and use the analog outputs (and take advantage or the decent OpAmps some of these cards have).

b) Windows Vista/7 FUBARd the sound subsystem of the OS. Since the upgrade I've experience no benefits and a whole lot of irritation in this particular matter.
    Last edited by MrToad; 03-09-2011 at 01:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    if costs less than baresford I'm done with it
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Member
    it took the OS with them?!? how the heck does that happen?!? ....I'm just trying to think if I've ever had *any driver for *any hardware take an OS.....mmmmm......
    When the cards screwed up I purged them from my system by purging my system.

I like being overly hyperbolic when it comes to my hatred for Creative products.
    "TV and the internet are good because they keep stupid people form spending too much time out in public."
    -jPod, by Douglas Coupland

"There is no Todd"
    -Dilbert, by Scott Adams

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    IF this thing is worthwhile will depend on quite a few indie reviews. It's cheap so it should accrue plenty of reviews. It's comparably priced to DAC-Amps like a Little Dot DAC_II or Audio-GD FUN. I have a feeling though that this will be a Zero DAC equivalent...

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    Eeh, I'm not a big fan of non-discrete dac/amp combos. Any details on the USB interface? Is it using internal clocks or the USB clock? Does it support sample rates higher than 44.1K on the USB input? $300 sounds like a bit much for a product like this from Asus, since you can get an Audio-GD Fun for less than that. It better be really good if they even want to sell any in the low $200s.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Addict
    looks pretty interesting

now they finally need to fill the gap between 50€ external sound cards and this 300€ stuff; while my X-Fi titanium HD is better than the X-fi xtreme music i had before it is no match for the Xonar STX in the Media rig...
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    Eeh, I'm not a big fan of non-discrete dac/amp combos. Any details on the USB interface? Is it using internal clocks or the USB clock? Does it support sample rates higher than 44.1K on the USB input? $300 sounds like a bit much for a product like this from Asus, since you can get an Audio-GD Fun for less than that. It better be really good if they even want to sell any in the low $200s.

--Matt
    This!

I'm not seing the point of this, most people going for a DAC/AMP are going to be looking at something like what is sold here http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/

I'll wait for a review though.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Most of the DACs you guys mentioned don't do native 192Khz like this one does eh?

I've been nothing but pleased with my Asus Xonar Essence STX. I hope this product delivers.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Most of the DACs you guys mentioned don't do native 192Khz like this one does eh?

I've been nothing but pleased with my Asus Xonar Essence STX. I hope this product delivers.
    whats the point in 192khz if it doesnt do anything else well either?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict

Not sure who this was directed at, but the FUN does on SPDIF. The USB interface only goes up to 96khz but, tbh, I've never come across any music in stereo that was available above 96khz anyways. I know there is some of it out there but, if 192khz is that big of a prioirity to you you'll be getting at least a few pieces and spending a couple/few grand to get the benefits.

Is there anything stating that 192Khz is supported on USB? Looking at the specs in the pic, which don't make the distinction, I'd assume its on spdif.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member

Yes but you realize that 99% of content is still at 44.1K and 48K right? Upsampling to 192K doesn't do anything except tamper with the source.

Intel Core i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB DDR3-1600 | Asus GTX 670 directCU TOP | Intel 320 120GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Silverstone TJ08-E | Dell UltraSharp U2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    Not sure who this was directed at, but the FUN does on SPDIF. The USB interface only goes up to 96khz but, tbh, I've never come across any music in stereo that was available above 96khz anyways. I know there is some of it out there but, if 192khz is that big of a prioirity to you you'll be getting at least a few pieces and spending a couple/few grand to get the benefits.

Is there anything stating that 192Khz is supported on USB? Looking at the specs in the pic, which don't make the distinction, I'd assume its on spdif.

--Matt
    From what I've read, the default USB drivers only do up to 96Khz. If you make custom drivers, you can have USB do higher Khz.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post
    Yes but you realize that 99% of content is still at 44.1K and 48K right? Upsampling to 192K doesn't do anything except tamper with the source.
    I'm not talking about just CD quality music. But also SACD and games that can output higher than 44.1/96Khz.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast