Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To chill ot NOT to chill...-140C that is.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI

To chill ot NOT to chill...-140C that is.

So,
    I've got the cryo-chiller...
    But to make it work I have to charge the system and plumb on some evap's. $1075 per charge. Youuchh. So that's the cost of a Prometeia Mach II, for refrigerant.
    Captain Cascade checked out the system...it's ready to roll. So that's the question today, fellow hobbyists...how much is -140C on the evap worth? Some people have talked about how too much cold can be a bad thing for a CPU, I don't understand this, LN2 is much colder....is there such thing as too cold? I think not.

C
    Last edited by charlie; 10-13-2003 at 08:53 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, 1075 is alot of money, but then it's also like what 80C colder than a prommy mach 2?

Memory Addict
    that's alot especially since that's USA dollars
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    $1075 that's sick!

I hope you go through with it still though, just to see all the results and pics etc Your money though...

You didn't pay that much for it though right? You said you got it from ebay IIRC?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'd shop that price out ! I'd say for that much you could get your epa license, buy all the stuff you need to do it, and have a side job reworking promies and vapo's to r404a ! lol

Do it !!! if you have the money !

You can't ever get it too cold, condensation prevention would be the only concern I can think off.
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Freezer Racer
    lol, thats his cost direct from the manufacturer. dck
    If i was an animal Id be a freezer.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    The problem is that it's a proprietary blend of refrigerants...the exact quantities and ratios is unknown. Cascades are tuned for the boiling points of specific refrigerants....just loading r404a won't work. Luckily I got it off Ebay or $76...
    So I guess my total cost with a couple Baker18 evaps would be about ??? $1400 ???
    C

Freezer Racer
    its an autocascade, i cant just guess what goes in it, i didnt engineer it. its a wierd little thing.

autocascades take very precise blends of lots of different refrigerants
    If i was an animal Id be a freezer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Man I'd say it would be kick freakin azz !!!!!

For the price of a Mach 2 ?? whats the question again ??
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Originally posted by Major Slaughter
    Man I'd say it would be kick freakin azz !!!!!

For the price of a Mach 2 ?? whats the question again ??
    Well, yeah
    It's a good unit, master wrench Captain Cascade on the job...
    I'll have the unit manual on Wed. hopefully it'll explain things a bit more...I'm just curious...at those temps won't the whole motherboard from the ddr slots to the last pci slot just turn into a sheet of ice? How do you ice/water proof something like this??
    C

Xtreme Addict
    just die electric grease the whole damn thing.

Or put it all in mineral oil or something non-conductive.

I'd imagine at that temp the traces on the mobo would generate condensation.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Hmmmmm....like a shallow pan, or tray with dielectric mineral oil, good idea, I like that!
    C
    here's the msds for "polyCold" proprietary refrigerant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11a.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	4719  

LOL this is too funny. You're the guy who beat me in the bidding for the cryocooler. I thought I had that thing for sure and I went to bed knowing it was gonna be mine. I wake up in the morning and I got outbid by $1. Oh well I am glad it went to somebody that can try and make it into a supercooler. Good Luck
    Asus P4C800-D, P4 2.8C @ 3.95
    2X256 OCZ PC4000
    ATI 9800 Pro @495/393
    3X80 Gb Maxtars
    Pioneer DVR-A05 DVD-RW,
    LG 52X24X52 CDRW
    Watercooling on CPU,GPU,NB
    450W PS, Lian Li Case

3DMark2001 23155
    3DMark2003 7278

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Originally posted by Ranger2992
    LOL this is too funny. You're the guy who beat me in the bidding for the cryocooler. I thought I had that thing for sure and I went to bed knowing it was gonna be mine. I wake up in the morning and I got outbid by $1. Oh well I am glad it went to somebody that can try and make it into a supercooler. Good Luck
    lol...yup I'm the "Sniper"

Xtreme Member
    yeah, you'd have to insulate the ยงยงยงยง out of it, and then probably immerse it in some kind of mineral oil, and then maybe even heat the oil in some way so it wont freeze near the evap. It's doable. Can you make it work for your vid card as well?
    I have a computer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Ranger2992
    Hey there... Funny how many fish are here at XS.

Btw, there's a new 2k1 and 2k3 champ in town.

Xtreme Member
    I have written some software which can solve the set of equations needed to give you a basic mixture with just about the right molar fractions of the various components.

I could run this software to give you a basic hydrocarbon mixture consisting of methane, ethane, propane and butane, which should work fine. From there you can experiment. I once ran this software against a mixture with various known molar fractions for a 80K cooler, and results were off by about 15%.

It is the result of my efforts to build an autocascade, but I decided to try regular cascade first, and then autocascade the low stage.

As initial input I need the design low side pressure, design high side pressure and target evaporation temperature.

Xtreme Member
    There ya go.....
    .... I spent a Fortune on Booze and Women.... the rest I just wasted.

My Heatware

Xtreme Member
    WRT to condensation take dabits approach, where theres no air theres no moisture, and therefore no condensation.

Build yourself a big box and vacuum the air out of it and put your mobo and gfx inside have everything else outside. Simple.

No messing about for rma's either since theres not 400miles of seal string and a gay parades full of vasaline smeared over everything

]JR[

Xtreme Member
    I am extremely happy with my airtight mainboard housing.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Dabit,
    Very nice work. I'd be interested in seeing more info on your airtight mainboard housing!
    And as soon as I receive the manual I will send you info about the autocascade spec's for a custom refrigerant blend.
    C

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Originally posted by ]JR[

No messing about for rma's either since theres not 400miles of seal string and a gay parades full of vasaline smeared over everything

]JR[ [/B]
    LmAO.....

Xtremely Large Member
    DaBit, thanks for the link to your project, it looks like I have something to get me through my boring lunchbreak at work now.

And charlie, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project of yours, do you have any pics of the cryofreezer?
    I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all. I just don't remember any of it.

DFI LanParty UT NF3 | A-64 3200+ | 1Gb OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Limited Edition
    Radeon X800XT | Audigy 2 | 2x WD 74Gb Raptors | 60Gb IBM | 20Gb Maxtor
    OCZ PowerStream 520w | Mach II GT Cooled

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    i don't have a digicam and even if I did, the guts are enclosed in insulating foam...all you can see is the compressor, expansion tanks, condensor and fan!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chillerpoly.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	4731  

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by charlie
    [B]Dabit,
    Very nice work. I'd be interested in seeing more info on your airtight mainboard housing!
    Visit my website: http://www.icecoldcomputing.com, and look under the 'old projects' menu item.

BTW: my hosting provider will soon move the site to another server, so you might experience hickups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast