Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How to volt mod IC7 Vmem

Xtreme Member
    Hipro5 this is all very nice but could you complete with a picture.
    Cause we all know that a picture says more than a thousand words

I may be a minority but i dont make any changes untill im 150% sure of what im doing is right. And im actullay thinking och doing the vmem mod to my ic7-g. But as i said i need to be very sure of that im doing the right thing.
    I was at another crime scene at that time officer...

I never have to make any adjustments to my trimmer, the system boots and reboots every time.

I'm not saying that is the case for everyone, but it works for me!
    Abit IC7-MAX3 Pentium 4 2.4c @ 3.4Ghz
    Kingston HyperX pc3500 @ 3.1v 2/2/2/6, 5:4
    9500 pro @ ~360/300
    Antec TrueControl 550
    DD RBX/Maze4 GPU/Z-chip/Mag-3
    Revo 7.1/WD Raptor 74 Gb

Questions for Hipro 5

Hip----think I get it

Take a look at these drawings:

Will either one work??

With a 1K trimmer-----what should I see as max resistance----or what should I trim to initially-----to start out at a safe 2.8-2.9 VDIMM------250-300 ohm???

What points on the board are you using to measure VDIMM with a multimeter??

Thanks----John

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Yeap.......BOTH of these scheems are good........You can mesure the Vmem on the upper Mos-Fet(above R50) on it's right pin.........
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Member
    both drawings are the same..

Not quite

One the leg of the 10 ohm resistor is soldered onto the leg of the trimmer as well as a wire is soldered onto the same leg

The other has the resistor attached at the end of the two wires and then a wire attached to the trimmer and the Winbond side wire at midpoint.

Both drawings do the same thing though----just different way of soldering wires.

John

Xtreme Member
    That dosen't make any diffrence just that the pot gets farther away from the resistor.. summa kardemumma två dåliga likadana scheman.. Smart att göra två likadana..

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by trifler
    That dosen't make any diffrence just that the pot gets farther away from the resistor.. summa kardemumma två dåliga likadana scheman.. Smart att göra två likadana..
    summa kardemumma två dåliga likadana scheman.. Smart att göra två likadana

?

Correct

You are correct----no real difference.

Just different solder point farther down the Winbond side wire.

John

Xtreme Member
    so which mod should one make.. The one with just the resistor or the on with the extra pot.

so which mod should one make.. The one with just the resistor or the on with the extra pot.
    I think if you're going to perform the mod you may as well do the full job (trimmer with 10ohm fixed) as it only involves a little extra soldering and would spare you of having to pull your board out again.
    Last edited by Pita^Norf; 09-05-2003 at 04:06 AM.
    He who asks is a fool for 15 minutes, he who does'nt remains a fool forever.

Haven't tested 2nd mod

I did the mod as outlined by fugger:

1k trimmer-----winbond side wire to middle pin----mosfet side wire to one outer leg----other outside leg of trimmer is not used------no extra resistor.

Works fine up to about 3.0 VDIMM-----above that---and you may start to have problems with fluctuation and you may not get your board to post every time.

Hipro5s method----which I have not done yet----is to add a 10 Ohm resistor and to change the wiring a bit:

Middle pin of the 1k trimmer to ground--------one outside leg of the trimmer connected to both wires with the resistor-------other outside leg of trimmer is not used

Once you get the two wires soldered on the pads of R50----you can do either, easily.

It is removig the R50 resistor and soldering the two wires that is tough to do.

John

Xtreme Member
    does anyone have a clearly good pic for me of the mod so i can do it without problem and blewing up my ic7

thanx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am confused hipro, as I have done my vmem the "wrong" way and have made many adjustments on the fly, and never had any problem booting up later. My only problem is not being able to stably go above 3.0vmem like john. When I set the trimmer to 3.1 it will go from 2.96-3.1. Too much variance for me. Set at 3.0 is will only droop to 2.96-3.0 . I am wondering though if your method will allow me to set a higher stable vmem. what do you think?
    | MSI K8N Diamond Plus | WaterCooled A64X2 4200+ | 2x1024 PC4000 EB Plat | 2x BFG 7800GT | Maxtor DMax 10 SATA 250gb 16mb cache & 200gb 8 mb cache| OCZ 700watt GamerXtreme PSU | Plextor 716SA DL DVDRW

HeatWare

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Originally posted by LikwidKool
    I am confused hipro, as I have done my vmem the "wrong" way and have made many adjustments on the fly, and never had any problem booting up later. My only problem is not being able to stably go above 3.0vmem like john. When I set the trimmer to 3.1 it will go from 2.96-3.1. Too much variance for me. Set at 3.0 is will only droop to 2.96-3.0 . I am wondering though if your method will allow me to set a higher stable vmem. what do you think?
    YES you will able to get more Vdimm with my method.......If your PSU has 3.4Volts rail, you'll get about 3.2Vdimm+......
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ok thanks. Gonna have to do it when I have a free moment. You had said that soldering the pot to wires already connected to the R50 spots is ok right? I just don't feel like desoldering the existing wires and risk the R50 pad's any more than I need too!
    | MSI K8N Diamond Plus | WaterCooled A64X2 4200+ | 2x1024 PC4000 EB Plat | 2x BFG 7800GT | Maxtor DMax 10 SATA 250gb 16mb cache & 200gb 8 mb cache| OCZ 700watt GamerXtreme PSU | Plextor 716SA DL DVDRW

HeatWare

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Da*n!!!!
    I just got a new IC7 and took a look at the mod...R50, ouch! that's a TINY resistor...and one NAAAAsty mod.
    I will try 2 low power soldering irons and use them as tweezers, but as far as soldering new wires, hmmmmmmmmm.... not sure about that one. With a nice workbench and a small magnifying glass it's possible.
    BTW, my IC7 came with the Max3 style NB hs/f...cool.
    C
    Last edited by charlie; 09-12-2003 at 08:52 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Charlie,

Actually, removing the resistor wasn't the tough part for me. I destroyed mine getting the leads back onto the R50 pads.

Good luck!

I used the tweezer method

I used the "tweezer method" with two 15 Watt soldering irons-----worked like a charm for me AND left a lot of solder on the R50 pads.

I practiced on an old circuit board about three times before I had it down pat-----and I let my irons heat for 15 min before I even tried.

I did not use ANY solderwick as I was afraid I suck up all the solder off the pad.

I then added a small drop of solder to each pad.

Using the drop of solder and the way it came off my iron----it actually built up each pad to a small little "tower"-----which was much easier to solder the individual wires to.

I got a lighted magnifying, swing out, workbench lamp to help-----it was invaluable as the parts are REALLY small.

John

Xtreme Recruit
    Hi to everyone.
    I am about to buy an ABIT IC7 -NOT- G.
    I have allready tested the Rams that I will mount on it and I have found that I need about +0.1V or +0.2V on the max VMem available.

What are the specs of the resistor (Ohm/Watt/Tolerance) that I have to place on the R50 to have a +0.1V??
    And what will it be to have a +0.2V??

Thank you very much.

Xtreme Member
    you just do the mod with the pot. Then you just measure with a multimeter and stop turning when the vmem voltage suits you.

gl
    Last edited by trifler; 09-18-2003 at 09:26 AM.

Xtreme Recruit
    you just do the mod with the pot. Then you just measure with a multimeter and stop turning when the vmem voltage suits you.

gl
    Yes.. you are right.. but I would like to use a static resistor to give a fixed +0.1V or +0.2V to the VMem
    Does anyone know the right Ohm/Watt/Tolerance of this kind of resistor?
    Thank you.

Originally posted by PIRATA!
    Yes.. you are right.. but I would like to use a static resistor to give a fixed +0.1V or +0.2V to the VMem
    Does anyone know the right Ohm/Watt/Tolerance of this kind of resistor?
    Thank you.
    Every mobo is different so there is no exact value I can give you, but 330 ohm resistor will give approx +0.2V. If you want +0.1V just set the bios value to 2.7V. Since the value 330 ohm is not and exact value, the tolerance is not important. You can messure it to see that it`s close to 330 ohm if you want. There`s not much amps going through this resistor so what "watt" value the resistor is rated for, make no differents.

I just went down to the electronics store today and got them to do the IC7 VDIMM mod for me. Here is a link to the diagram i followed http://www.frontpage2000.family-net....is/Schem1a.jpg .

It was all looking good and the resistor and wires were all done correctly. I got it home plugged it in - after clearing CMOS and booted it up.......
    No post..... I replaced all the components and tried again....
    No post..... I removed it from the case and only used bare essentials plugged in.....
    POST!! yay i thought - my motherboard isn't broken . But then i looked down and i realised that the leg i needed to ground wasn't grounded. So i shut down --> grounded it --> booted up again and.....
    No post..... If i ground the wire while the computer is running it instantly freezes.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong?????

Any help would be appreciated

Originally posted by general_rommel
    I just went down to the electronics store today and got them to do the IC7 VDIMM mod for me. Here is a link to the diagram i followed http://www.frontpage2000.family-net....is/Schem1a.jpg .

It was all looking good and the resistor and wires were all done correctly. I got it home plugged it in - after clearing CMOS and booted it up.......
    No post..... I replaced all the components and tried again....
    No post..... I removed it from the case and only used bare essentials plugged in.....
    POST!! yay i thought - my motherboard isn't broken . But then i looked down and i realised that the leg i needed to ground wasn't grounded. So i shut down --> grounded it --> booted up again and.....
    No post..... If i ground the wire while the computer is running it instantly freezes.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong?????

Any help would be appreciated
    Have you addjusted the pot to 200 ohm or so?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast