Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DFI NF4 Ultra-D vdimm mod: come inside.

"might go off a bit" is putting it mildly

--- Chad --- Vtt is used by the memory and the CPU as a reference signal to tell when a signal is high or low. It's also used in the termination networks for the signals on the MB to...errrmmm...in "gumbie" as you put it... to make the signals better. What I was telling Malves is that under certain conditions the Vtt fluctuates a lot causing errors. What he was saying is he doesn't have a CPU to put in the MB to check out what I told him.

--- Malves --- Vtt is rock solid stable until certain burst data patterns are used... then it fluctuates quite a bit... enough to cause ~25Mhz OC difference It appears to be a load issue, as it's relatively long term fluctuations (you can see them with a DMM). You can run T5 (pretty much T1->T7) and it's rock stable... T8 and it's all over the place during the course of the test. You can pretty much predict when errors will pop up by monitoring where Vtt is. Same thing happens when in Windows... and when running most benchies. Note that both the input rail and the reference to the VTT regulator remain rock solid... it's only the VTT output of the regulator that fluctuates.

Peace

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Interesting. So, maybe a VTT mod could help?

Also, I haven't mentioned before, but I knew the LM328 just uses 2nd stage for both 3.3v and 5v. The switch between both should be via jumper, not the stages. So, with that said, I got vdimm up to 4.5v via trimmer, using JP17 @ 2-3.

Those that want more control over their vdimm and those that are brave enough for 4+vdimm, this is the mod.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow cool stuff

so malves, think you could make up a vtt mod?

so all we do is put the jp-17 in and we can get higher than 4v with the trimmer in the same place right?

¿
    Quote Originally Posted by Malves
    Nope, haven't seen that board yet, bro. I don't like vio mods, sorry.
    Why don't you like Vio mods?

-sorry for more OT

Malves - ygpm

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanx for the heads up, bro.

Well, EMC2 mentioned in his PM, it looks like under load the 1st stage of LM358 limits the 2nd stage to ~4.2v. So, under load, vdimm @ 4.5v may not be possible.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the right equipment and not enough of it, too, to test all of this, but I guess EMC2 has been there.

Vio mods don't give you any control over vdimm, that's why.
    Last edited by Malves; 06-25-2005 at 04:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    It's info like this that has me now watching this site/forum closely ... thanks all great info
    AMD Athlon FX-55
    DIY 1.25 gal external dual core W/C system
    LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D Bios 329
    1G OCZ DDR PC-4800 Platinum Elite
    eVGA 7800 GT 256MB
    Antec P160 case
    OCZ PowerStream 600W
    2 Western digital Raptor 74Gig SATA RAID0
    My Heatware

ln2nl
    Why a vdimm mod if you can use the bigtoe mod? the only thing is to fake the 5v jumper. no soldering. Why should i still prefer this mod?
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

Xtreme Member
    I believe the "bigtoe mod" is to slide the block connector down one row, put it on the 3.3v side and single jumper the exposed top pins from the center to 5V side.

This is the jumper that allows the bios to set voltages over 3.2. However, you are now on teh 3.3 volt rail, and being able to set actual voltages above 3.2 will be based on if that voltage is available on the 3.3v rail. With supplies like the OCZ the supply allows you to tweak this, on others, you'll need to vmod.

However, Malves has warned me that setting the bios higher than what is available on the rail could damage the mobo. So you might want to be careful with the BigToe mod, making sure your rail is over what the bios is going to try and put on your memory. Also be aware that my bios/mobo/etc. seems to overvolt the mem by about 0.08, so I assume you best have your rail overvolted by at least that same amount from what you plan on setting in your bios
    AMD Athlon FX-55
    eVGA 7800 GT 256MB
    Antec P160 case
    OCZ PowerStream 600W
    My Heatware

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by timpanogos
    However, Malves has warned me that setting the bios higher than what is available on the rail could damage the mobo.
    I remember reading something about this, but I can't remember where. So, don't take my word for it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the bios will only go up to 3.3v and then you just adjust the rail and nothing more in the bios. there isnt an option for a higher voltage so unless you 3.3v rail is less than 3.3v then there will not be any problems

ln2nl
    It really works great on my board. setting my ocz to 3.8v and i gain a stable 3.7vdimm. Works truly great!

are there more mods for the nf4 ultra-d?
    *EDITed by IFMU*

Forum Policies

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waus-mod
    It really works great on my board. setting my ocz to 3.8v and i gain a stable 3.7vdimm. Works truly great!

are there more mods for the nf4 ultra-d?
    Which one? Bigotes'? There's vcore mod, but i don't think anyone will need it.

ln2nl
    And the vtt?
    *EDITed by IFMU*

Forum Policies

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow vtt does suck. specs in my sig, i was running 275*8 at 3.6v (bios) and the actualy vdimm was 3.7v the vtt was all over the place. it jumped from 1.83v up to 1.87v! ouch! it was anything but close to stable but the 3.7v was satble although i did see it jump to 3.71v for a second a time or two.

anyway, can we fix the vtt atleast somehow?

I've recorded fluctuations of ~80mV when nominal VTT was 1.455... most of it in the negative (lower V) direction... about 3x what it should be.

Here's some pics from an o'scope... sorry for the graininess... frames from a video capture with a digi-cam These are taking running T8 of memtest, the large steps are when the test pattern changes between mostly 0 patterns to mostly 1 patterns:

Peace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTT_Dip3.png 
Views:	977 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	33199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTT_Dip4.png 
Views:	968 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	33200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTT_Dip6.png 
Views:	965 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	33201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTT_Dip7.png 
Views:	948 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	33202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTT_Dip9.png 
Views:	943 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	33203  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    EMC2, do you think replacing/adding the "VTT caps" would help with the fluctuations?

Xtreme Member
    quick explination of vio please ... I know you said you did not like/use it, just wondering what it is ..

Thanks

Chad
    AMD Athlon FX-55
    eVGA 7800 GT 256MB
    Antec P160 case
    OCZ PowerStream 600W
    My Heatware

Xtreme X.I.P.
    vio = 3.3v rail of your PSU

Malves... slightly, for helping some with the relatively shorter term fluctuations like the small bumps in the 3rd scope pic that occur before the step change... but not for the longer term changes that start/end at the step points. Note the scale on those pics is 5ms/div... and the larger step changes last for upwards of seconds (as long as the offending pattern is being burst). Basically the VTT is drooping due to the current demand and the internal FETs RdsOn. Can think of 3 fixes... 1 that positively would work... 1 that has a 90%+ chance... and one that is 50/50 (which I'm not willing to sacrifice my MB for).

Peace

Xtreme Member
    sounds like I did the sio mod that you do not care for. I am interesting in going ahead and doing the op-amp mod that was shown as the topic of this thread. However, I'm still confused, without the sio mod, how can the opamp mod help, on my vx that want 3.3+ volts?

I would be interested in your "droop" mod also .. any info is appreciated ...

Chad

p.s. can you elaborate on why you do not like the sio mod
    AMD Athlon FX-55
    eVGA 7800 GT 256MB
    Antec P160 case
    OCZ PowerStream 600W
    My Heatware

Just a little update on the Vtt side of things... was looking at it and a few other things with better equipment and got a nice capture of a Vtt step. Did a rough calc on the capacitance needed for this... can't get there from here, it comes out several farads worth However, I did find that drive strength has an effect on the magnitude of the step, gained some Mhz, along with enough info to base fixes on Now to find time and parts

Capture of Vtt step on DFI nF4 - this one occured during transition from an FFFFFFFF to 00000000 based modulo:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Peace

Xtreme Addict
    wow, I feel stupid now
    time to go off to get my 3rd degree, this time as EE so I can understand this stuff.

Maybe I speak in medicalease so I can feel smart.
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    definatly a big problem. hope you can help us EMC2!

Xtreme Mentor
    How much does a fancy scope like that run?

Hmm, back on topic, I would love to perform any mods required to fix this problem. Unfortunately the only thing I know how to do is look up chip specs and reduce resistance on the sense leg, which is probably where pretty much everyone else here also hits there limit too; we are all betting on you EMC.
    For those of you about to post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast