Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSI @ CeBIT 2005

Xtreme X.I.P.

Cool MSI @ CeBIT 2005

History:

MSI was founded in August 1986 and specializes in the design and manufacturing of mainboards, videocards, add-on cards, servers/workstations, barebones systems, optical storage devices, communication devices and notebooks.

893 employees strong, MSI, or Micro Star International, is currently one of Taiwan's top three and one of the world's top five mainboard manufacturers. Currently the #1 videocard producer in the world, MSI is now striving to become one of the top 3 mainboard makers worldwide and hold their leading position in the videocard market.

MSI sells their products all around the globe, so they have established a global support network with offices in the US, mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Germany, France, Australia, the Netherlands, UK, Japan, and in Latin America. The actual RMA service is organized by Kunshan Microteck Computer in Kunshan, China to keep it efficient and fast.

MSI, like most hardware makers, is focusing more and more on the enthusiast market after their success with the K8N Neo2 mainboard, and is present at many LAN parties and other events. They support the enthusiast and gamer communities world wide with products designed especially for them, which you will definitely find reading further
    the MSI booth from outside:

click on the thumbs for a larger image

and from inside:

MSI P4N Diamond

Based on the nForce4 SLI Intel Edition chipset, the options should be just what we are used to from the K8N Diamond, except this board supports all 775 processors (including the upcoming dual cores) and runs with DDR2. It supports up to 8GB of DDR2 memory at 667MHz and of course has two PCIe 16x slots, but what is new here is that it doesn't need a special PCB or jumper array to enable and disable SLI operation - you can actually enable and disable SLI in the driver in Windows, which is a very nice feature.

Furthermore, it has two SATA RAID chips, 6 SATA ports (2 SATA-II and 4 SATA-I iirc), dual Gigabit LAN onboard and Creative Soundblaster Live 7.1 onboard, also a nice touch.

I hope that MSI will allow higher Vcore and Vdimm options for this board (the K8N Diamond only goes up to 1.68v and 2.85v respectively), and implement an option to trick Prescott CPUs to use the 14x multiplier.

UPDATE:
    The nForce4 SLI Intel Edition board is currently still slower than the i955 board! MSI says they are still tweaking stuff and the BIOS is all new etc., but this at least gives us a hint: IF the nForce4 SLI Intel Edition will end up faster than the Intel chipset, it won't be by much.

MSI 955X Diamond

Based on the Intel i955 chipset, this board supports all Socket 775 processors including the 3.2ghz XE dual core chip with HT (four thread handlers total!), 4 slots for DDR-II 667 and an FSB of 1066MHz. The 955X can also run with up to 8GB of DDR2 memory at 667MHz, though it only sports 1 PCIe 16x slot. Included is Intel's ICH7R Southbridge, which means dual Gigabit LAN, IDE and SATA I+II RAID iirc.

There were also samples of MSI's 945P and 945G boards, but I lost the pictures of them, they look pretty much identical to the 955X board so no tragedy there, I didn't bother to look for new pics of the boards. The 945G is using Intel's updated integrated GPU, the GMA950 instead of the GMA900. I have no info about the changes from GMA900 to 950 atm, but I doubt it will be anything spectacular :P The 945P and 945G also support dual core CPU's (but not Hyper Threading on the dual core XE), plus XD Bit, EIST, EM64T and VT.

Again I hope MSI will implement higher voltage options and the 14x Prescott multiplier trick.

MSI K8N Master2

Based on the nForce4 SLI (NOT nF4 Professional like Tyan et al) chipset, this board supports two Socket 940 Opteron processors including the upcoming dual core Opterons. Obvious are the two 16x PCIe slots and SLI support, and just like P4N doesn't need the extra PCB to switch the PCIe lane configuration. The board has 6 memory slots (no NUMA support, unfortunately) and features the core cell chip, which caught my eye immediately - this means it's built for us enthusiasts and should offer many tweaking and overclocking options, as MSI later confirmed.

If you run only one CPU in this board, you can use a standard ATX PSU, and even if you use two CPU's, most high end ATX psu's should do the job just fine! Furthermore, it sports the standard ATX form factor, and should fit in most any desktop case!

The K8N Master2 supports up to 12GB of registered ECC DDR memory, but MSI told me it will also work with standard DDR. The engineer explained to me there are some difficulties overclocking two CPUs on a board, but the company is wokring on it and will try to implement as many overclocking and tweaking options as possible.

This board also features SATA II slots, RAID (0,1,0+1) and dual Gigabit onboard LAN. The pricing is going to be very low according to MSI, much lower than Tyan's dual opteron boards (400-500$).

I'm hoping dual CPU overclocking works out well, and standard memory support functions properly, registered memory would scare off many potential buyers.

MSI 6600GT Diamond
    here are two shots of the tool, which are XtremeSystems exclusives

Sorry for the missing pics of the card, my camera ate the ones I took and couldn't find pics anywhere on the net...

Due to others' success with "Special Edition" 6600GT cards, MSI will release a series of faster clocked cards with faster rated memory chips. Unfortunately they couldn't tell me what speeds they are shooting for, as they are still evaluating clockspeeds for the final product. They did, however, show me something else which looked very very interesting!

With their 6600GT Diamond series, MSI is going to release a new tool to overclock the cards even further, monitor the temperature of the cards, adjust the fan speed, and change Vgpu and Vmem!

Users will be able to create custom profiles if they don't like the four existing profiles. Possible settings include the fan speed at a given temp, creating profiles for gaming with higher Vgpu and Vmem, the maximum stable clocks at the fastest fan speed, and lowered fan speed and voltages for 2D desktop work or watching a movie. Switching between two profiles requires just one click in the tweaking tool.

Initially the tool will only be available for the 6600GT Diamond cards, which should be available in April according to MSI. Depending on feedback, return rates and other factors, they intend to release a 6800GT and x800PRO with the same features, and hopefully some high end cards afterwards.

UPDATE:
    About 256MB 6600GT cards, all the videocard builders at CeBIT told me the same thing: not anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the PCB and the memory controller are to blame, it's hard to maintain signal integrity between the memory controller and large memory sizes on a 4-layer PCB.

Also, voltage tweaks will only work on PCIe cards, and MSI is very proud of a special solution they developed to protect their cards from overheating. If the card gets too hot for any reason, the first action is a small popup warning which is visible even in fullscreen apps/games. In extreme cases, the videocard will shut down the entire system and reset itself to default voltages, clocks and fan speed.

MSI "Mega PC"

This is MSI's answer to the XPC and the other SFF systems, here at CeBIT they had two models, one based on the i865 chipset and one based on the i915 chipset. While the specs aren't overwhelming, the case can be taken apart very easily and quickly without a screw driver! They use a simple mechanism that locks optical drives and HDs in place, requires only one hand to operate and reliably keeps the drives in place.

The i915-based Mega PC accepts any Prescott CPU available, not bad considering the tiny case and PSU - it uses a special heatpipe cooler that also cools the chipset, though this wasn't available at CeBIT. The model has two memory slots, uses the Intel GMA900 integrated graphics and the ICH6 southbridge. Further info about the box's features was limited, though it had SATA and, important for an SFF, AGP and PCI slots supporting a dual slot AGP card or one of each. Onboard 802.11g wireless LAN (54Mbps) and Azalia 7.1 onboard sound were included.

The second Mega PC was based on the i865 chipset, using the same case with a media PC-like front, nicely modeled after an audio or Hi-Fi system. No info about the internals unfortunately...

MSI Passive Cooling

Here you can see some systems from tweakers.net that MSI showed at their both. They were playing with some passive cooling solutions on MSI products and showed a 6600GT SLI system running benchmarks 24/7, with only passive cooling. The last pic on the right shows a Cube PC with an interesting heatpipe "thing" on the cpu

MSI Quality Control

MSI also showed off a certificate of the German TÜV, known for being very strict and using harsh testing methods, as proof how tough their product stress testing and quality control is (don't forget, they test stock speeds, not oc'ed speeds ) Here they use a testing chamber that was regulated to a constant 70°C.

As a result of proving their mainboard quality in dozens of tests, the TÃœV certified MSI's mainboards upping the MTBF from 19 to 25 years. Note this does NOT imply MSI gives a 25 year warranty, TÃœV simply thinks MSI boards will work 25 years without errors ... again, no overclocking here

UPDATE:
    MSI will have a Pentium M mainboard based on the 915P chipset with a PCIe graphics slot, though they are not sure when.
    Last edited by matt9669; 03-23-2005 at 01:40 AM.

Live Long And Overclock
    OMG so much interest in the thread lol

Nice pics saaya, but where's the ATI stuff

Perkam

MSI ATI

Xtreme X.I.P.
    they didnt have anything interesting from ati :/
    nothing new.... just an x850xtpe wich was default cooler and default clocks... just renamed to msi

and about ati themselves... they were the biggest dissapointment info wise... i only got pics of the ati xpress intel edition chipset launch... thats all... ati was really really really tight lipped about everything...
    all the ati infos i got are from people who dont work for ati, LOL

/dev/zero
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam

Perkam

Hey let him get a lil rest, enough for now

When you've read through it several times (and thought about it)... he may reward you with some more exclusive info from the Cebit
    Xtremesystems.org
    i7-4820K * ryba 2-stager + 1-stager * EVGA X79 Dark * 32G Team Xtreem 2666C11 * EVGA GTX 680 SC Sig. * Intel G2 80G * Corsair HX1000 * Lian Li PC-70B * Watercool Heatkiller, EK Fullcover/Backplate for GTX, MCP355 Dual Setup@Koolance RP-402X2, PA120.3+Alphacool 360, Tubing 16/10.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam

Perkam
    OMG some peeps really cant appreciate hard work? There`s no but for a work like that....

Very nice job Sascha, thanks for all the info.

/dev/zero
    Yep, that's the work of several hours I can imagine... he's indeed under pressure to complete his Cebit report... so don't stress him, guys.
    Last edited by SAE; 03-21-2005 at 05:40 PM.
    Xtremesystems.org
    i7-4820K * ryba 2-stager + 1-stager * EVGA X79 Dark * 32G Team Xtreem 2666C11 * EVGA GTX 680 SC Sig. * Intel G2 80G * Corsair HX1000 * Lian Li PC-70B * Watercool Heatkiller, EK Fullcover/Backplate for GTX, MCP355 Dual Setup@Koolance RP-402X2, PA120.3+Alphacool 360, Tubing 16/10.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Very good read! Well done, Sascha :thumbsup:

MSI K8N Master2 looks really good. If they give it enough volts and OC settings, this could be a hell of a monster... SLI capable Dual Opteron! WOW!

And that 6600GT with adjustable voltages That kind of worries me... Hardcore modding community will be very dissapointed How to be hardcore if there's no point in vmodding it ???

Good reporting and nice photos

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    they didnt have anything interesting from ati :/
    nothing new.... just an x850xtpe wich was default cooler and default clocks... just renamed to msi

and about ati themselves... they were the biggest dissapointment info wise... i only got pics of the ati xpress intel edition chipset launch... thats all... ati was really really really tight lipped about everything...
    all the ati infos i got are from people who dont work for ati, LOL
    In my experience with ATI at the LAN event in Dallas, ATI employees are EXTREMELY tight lipped with anyone they would potentially consider "press". My guess is they have either/both strict NDA's or bosses who have no tolerance for leaks of anything, so they're instructed not to say anything at all, period.

That said, they have every right to protect their information, and ATI has been very good to XS, so just be patient guys.

Saaya, you do the news team proud
    Want your news on the front page? Click here!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    update: the nforce4 SLI intel edition board is currently still slower than the 955x board! they said they are still tweaking stuff and the bios is all new etc, but this at least gives us the idear that IF the nf4 intel edition will end up faster than the intel chipset, it wont be much.

the pricing of the K8T Master2 is going to be very low according to MSI, much lower than Tyan dual opteron boards (400-500$).

msi will have a pentium M mainboard based on the 915P chipset with an pciE graphics slot, they dont know when though.

and about 6600gt cards with 256mb, all videocard builders told me the same, they wont have them anytime soon. im pretty sure the reason is the pcb and the memory controller. its hard to keep good signal quality between the memory controller and a big amount of memory with a 4 layer pcb all 6600gt cards use.

about the voltage tweaking on the msi videocards, it will only work on pciE cards, and msi is very proud of a special solution they developed wich protects their cards from overheating.
    if the card gets too hot because the fanspeed is set to a really low speed or the card is oced and overvolted or the case is too hot, you will first get a small pop up window that warns you about the temp of the card, this pop up window will pop up in any game or other app you are running. if the temp rises even more the videocard will shut down the entire system and reset itself to default vgpu ,clocks and fan speed.

thx everybody
    well it was ONLY the work of one or two hours hehe, wich kinda worries me since i have pics and infos of 27 more companies from cebit , but i have less interesting infos from most companies that i think is worth posting, so it shouldnt be too bad. and this is the first one, the other ones will use the same style so i can just copy the basics and just have to change the images and the text, but the layout is already worked out. in the end its the layour that took most time in tweaking and making it look good
    Last edited by saaya; 03-21-2005 at 05:58 PM.

/dev/zero
    MSI seems to get very innovative with these cards... hope it works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    And that 6600GT with adjustable voltages That kind of worries me... Hardcore modding community will be very dissapointed How to be hardcore if there's no point in vmodding it ???
    Hehe, MSI might limit voltages to a moderate range... So you will have to mod anyway
    Xtremesystems.org

Xtreme X.I.P.
    most likely they will only let us go to 1.5v or 1.4v, whatever the max is we can get by modding our bios files right now. its still nice to see it in a tool and be able to change it on the fly though, at least in my opinion

and hey, its just the first step, next thing is video memory timings available in a tool and then more voltages in future

and read again, they will also offer voltage tweaking on ati cards wich is completely new! theres no bios mod to get higher voltages on ati cards, so thats def a nice feature, even if its only 10% thats better than no voltage option imo

Xtreme Enthusiast
    based on the nforce4 SLI a64 edition chipset this board supports two 940 Opteron processors including the upcomming dual core Opteron CPU's from amd. it has two 16x pciE slots and supports SLI and as well as the P4N board doesnt need the extra piece of pcb to switch the pciE lane configuration, but SLI can as well be enabled and disabled in the driver in windows!
    it has 8 memory slots (no mention of numa unfortunately) and, wich cought my eye inmediatly, features the core cell chip, wich means its built for us enthusiasts and should offer many tweaking and overclocking options wich was confirmed by MSI.
    if you run only one cpu in this board you can even use a normal atx standard psu, and even if you use two cpus most high end atx psu's should do the job just fine
    furthermore its built in standard ATX size so it fits any desktop case!
    it supports up to 12GB of registered ecc memory but will also work without registered memory they told me. there are some difficulties overclocking two cpus on a board the engineer explained to me, but they are wokring on it and will try to implement as many overclocking and tweaking options as possible.
    this board also features SATA II slots and even raid (0,1,0+1) and dual gigabit onboard lan.

again i hope that MSI will settle for high vcore and vdimm options for this board, plus i hope the overclocking of the two cpus works out and that we wont have to use registered memory wich would definately scare off many people.
    I see 6 dimm slots. I don't think NUMA will be possible with only 6. If it is, I'd be extremely interested to hear how they do that.

Good pictures and write ups.

Xtreme Addict
    The board layout suggests all six slots are driven by the first CPU's memory controller, so I'm skeptical that NUMA is possible.

Don't forget, however, that a NUMA-aware OS is required to use the extra bandwidth, Windows XP 64Bit Edition or a proper Linux compile would be required . . .

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thx, the guy said 8 slots in the interview, i guess it was a typo
    and with no mention of numa i meant the board doesnt have numo, also fixed that, thx again

XS D2OL & RAM News
    Great report Nice work

jjcom

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thx

one more thing to add

Xtreme X.I.P.
    pheew ,done

Xtreme Addict
    GJ saaya, a little grammatical cleanup and we'll have this on the front page in notime

Great report Saya, THANKS!!!!

I notice in that 6600GT OC'ing screenie that they mispelled Xtreme LOL

Xtreme X.I.P.
    glad you like it

tomorrow will be intel amd and asus... dont think i can manage all 3, but i will try

Xtreme Addict
    well it was ONLY the work of one or two hours hehe
    Don't forget the hour or two I spent editing it

Tada!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt9669
    Don't forget the hour or two I spent editing it

Tada!
    cmon, was it realy that bad?

XS Intel News & D²OL enhanced
    good job :thumbsup:

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm worried that this DIAMOND 6600GT PCIE gonna cost 250€ or more = not worthy....price of 6800...
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast