Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X (non reference) Vmods

Nice Hardware!!!

Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X (non reference) Vmods

Sapphire have done their own PCB for non reference 5870 card which is called Vapor-X. This mod is for rev.2 cards with blue PCB.

There is no possibility to adjust voltages with software, but I don't find this annoying as long as clocks are good.

Here is VGPU, OCP and Vmem mod. (Vmem mod is not tested yet, but it should be correct 100%) Reading points can be found from same picture.

*OCP mod: Tune recistance down to 5Kohm. (9.9Kohm originally) It should be ok up to 1.5V
    ** Effect: More current can be drawn to GPU
    *Vgpu mod: Slowly tune down recistance. On 2D 1.17V is 1.41V in 3D. Those are the settings I use with aircooling
    ** Effect: More MHz for GPU. Better cooling will give better results.
    *Memory Vmod: Tune recistance down slowly. Measure from the leg of coil.
    ** Effect: May help memory overclocking when using LN2 as a cooling method. May also help with cold tolerance.

Here is memory controller mod. Reading point is on the back side of the card. (Leg of coil)

*Memory controller mod: Tune recistance down slowly. Stock voltage is 1.25V in 3D load. Use the values you prefer.
    ** Effect: May help memory overclocking when MHz are high. May also be needed while using LN2 as a cooling method.

Here is VPCI-E mod. This is unconfirmed yet, so do not try if you are not sure by yourself.

*VPCI-E mod: Tune recistance down slowly and measure from SMD recistors on the back of the card.
    ** Effect: May help cold tolerance and overclockability while using extreme cooling methods.

Here is one sample score with mods installed.

1100MHz is almost doable in normal room temp.

Enjoy!
    You are as good as your samples are!

Xtreme Member
    Nice work SF3D
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55096&dateline=129607  8083

Xtreme Member
    thats a kick-ass OV mods ..........

Hi...

Can this mod work for Saphire HD5850 Vapor-X / Toxic ???

I have a XFX HD5850 - Model 585X-ZAFC. She have the same PCB...

you can send me the bios of the vapor-x hd5870?? (pedrovicz@gmail.com)

Thanks....

The Sapphire HD5850 TOXIC PCB

Last edited by pedrovicz; 03-31-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Hi...
    I read the voltage points on my HD5850...

Iddle:
    VGPU: 0.91v read / 0.95 bios
    VMEM: 1.48v

Full:
    VGPU: 1.09v read / 1.88v bios
    VMEM: 1.48v again

The VGPU apears to be ok, but vmem... ????

I asume that the mod works for HD5850 too wath do you think???

Hello everyone.
    I managed to save the Sappire HD5870 Vapor-x Bios on my HD5850 XFX ZAFC-585X model, which uses the same PCB.

Great stuff.

- Before:
    Stock Clock 725Mhz
    Mem 1000Mhz Stock

- After:
    Stock Clock 875Mhz
    Mem 1250Mhz Stock

The GPU did not change the ability overclock.
    The memories came before the 1230Mhz at most now come to 1350Mhz.

maximum temperature 80 º C with the fan on auto

Great!!!

Now if someone said that the hd5870 vmode of vapor-x in my work, I'll risk it ...

Xtreme Member
    is your card stable with the 5870 bios? mine has the same layout maybe i can give it a try.

1090T | CH4F | HIS HD5850 | TT EvoBlue 750W | TT Spedo Advance | CM Aquagate Max | Samsung S27A350

Xtreme Member
    This should apply to the sapphire 5830 too.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SF3D View Post
    Sapphire have done their own PCB for non reference 5870 card which is called Vapor-X. This mod is for rev.2 cards with blue PCB.

There is no possibility to adjust voltages with software, but I don't find this annoying as long as clocks are good.

Here is VGPU, OCP and Vmem mod. (Vmem mod is not tested yet, but it should be correct 100%) Reading points can be found from same picture.

*OCP mod: Tune recistance down to 5Kohm. (9.9Kohm originally) It should be ok up to 1.5V
    ** Effect: More current can be drawn to GPU
    *Vgpu mod: Slowly tune down recistance. On 2D 1.17V is 1.41V in 3D. Those are the settings I use with aircooling
    ** Effect: More MHz for GPU. Better cooling will give better results.
    *Memory Vmod: Tune recistance down slowly. Measure from the leg of coil.
    ** Effect: May help memory overclocking when using LN2 as a cooling method. May also help with cold tolerance.

Here is memory controller mod. Reading point is on the back side of the card. (Leg of coil)

*Memory controller mod: Tune recistance down slowly. Stock voltage is 1.25V in 3D load. Use the values you prefer.
    ** Effect: May help memory overclocking when MHz are high. May also be needed while using LN2 as a cooling method.

Here is VPCI-E mod. This is unconfirmed yet, so do not try if you are not sure by yourself.

*VPCI-E mod: Tune recistance down slowly and measure from SMD recistors on the back of the card.
    ** Effect: May help cold tolerance and overclockability while using extreme cooling methods.

Here is one sample score with mods installed.

1100MHz is almost doable in normal room temp.

Enjoy!
    [/B]
    Do you have any pics of yours installed?

Also a pencil mod could work across that resistor that you are using to create a potential divider with the resistor to ground on the VGPU mod right?
    Last edited by Meaker; 04-04-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post
    is your card stable with the 5870 bios? mine has the same layout maybe i can give it a try.

Is 100% stable.

Temperatures within the standard and now the memories go up more. Before going on up to 1230 stable, now go to 1350 without problems.

I believe that the latencies of the memories in the HD5870 is more relaxed than the HD5850.

I have a non reference board just like the revision 2 Vapor-X but its a generic 5870 from sapphire but with non-reference cooling.

I am running on water and was looking to start doing volt mods and found this diagram and started reading the current voltage and found something odd the legs you pointed out as the read points read at a constant voltage 2d and 3d but the other legs of the inductors with reference to ground read for the memory 1.63v and the core 1.20v, the constant voltage of the other legs are 0.64 for the ram and 0.72v for the core. i am assuming you pointed to the incorrect legs for these components? both these voltages seem a little high to me for reference considering the ram should be 1.5 according to spec and the core should be 1.16? the silkscreen revision markings match the one the original poster has

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrovicz View Post
    Is 100% stable.

Temperatures within the standard and now the memories go up more. Before going on up to 1230 stable, now go to 1350 without problems.

I believe that the latencies of the memories in the HD5870 is more relaxed than the HD5850.
    Thanks for the heads up, I flashed the same vaporx bios with zero problems. It's stable so far, but temps can get really high under load.
    1090T | CH4F | HIS HD5850 | TT EvoBlue 750W | TT Spedo Advance | CM Aquagate Max | Samsung S27A350

Thanks for the heads up, I flashed the same vaporx bios with zero problems. It's stable so far, but temps can get really high under load.
    My temps is 70ºC Max under 100% load on OCCT

Xtreme Member
    mine reaches 75c in occt

Xtreme Member
    update.. it's not stable. I get white stripes in mw2 after ~5min gameplay. It seems the ram cant handle the higher freq

update.. it's not stable. I get white stripes in mw2 after ~5min gameplay. It seems the ram cant handle the higher freq
    Curious ...

Mine is 100% stable at temperatures below 70 º c all the time.

Memories hit 1350mhz without effort.

Maybe I've been lucky ...

Xtreme Member
    maybe your card has a higher default vmem

anyway, i'm selling the card and getting a reference one instead.

Please have you a picture of entire pcb?
    This is my XFX REV.2
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTank View Post
    Please have you a picture of entire pcb?
    This is my XFX REV.2
    Thanks!

Only the bottom ...
    It's just like the picture above, she just changes the color to black.

Xtreme Member
    I tested this mod on my 5870 XFX Rev2 and work fine
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55096&dateline=129607  8083

Does this mod apply for Sapphire 5850 with blue PCB, too?
    Can anyone tell what type/model of voltage regulator is on those 5870's?

Nice Hardware!!!
    Here you go: http://sf3d.pp.fi/uP6213_Datasheet.pdf

Controller is UP6213 but software Vcontrol is not usable on this card design.
    You are as good as your samples are!

Thanks a lot!
    Sadly my sapphire 5850 non-ref has a NCP5395T controller: http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions...=NCP5395TMNR2G
    Can you tell me if the vGPU mod above can be used for my card aswell? The layout is the same, the controller has the same position on the pcb.

Hi.
    I have also the hd5870 vapor x oc.
    I measured the point of the FB from the up6213 and the up6101.
    They where both 5kOhm.
    So 5 times 20 is 100.
    The memory V-mod you advise 20kohm to ground.
    Should that not be higher, because you will reach a voltage of V 1.95.
    The standard voltage is V 1.6.
    Here is someone who tried an vmod on a 5850 with the same pcb and the same voltage on the v-memory.
    http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...850-pcs-2.html
    Anyway i should use a 100kohm trimpotmeter to tune it down, so you have more space to get these settins stable.

Greetings lampje

I am doing this mod at the moment.
    I have succesfull modded 1 of the 2 cards.
    Accept i used some higher vr`s, because i think this setup is more for extreme cooling.
    The memory voltage you would reach is a bit high.
    Mine with a stock cooler got glidges past 1.72v.
    When they are both modded i will go back to watercooling and do some real testing.
    I did not do the memory controller mod and the v-pcie mod.
    Last edited by lampje; 07-05-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast