Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD: the world's first 12-core processor has begun shipping

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
    Intel 2x12 (2x Gulftown) lose in wprime :-)
    Magny cours vs server Gulftown
    I am sure there will be no 3Ghz "stock" 12 core from AMD but there will be a X5680 which has 3.33ghz stock from Intel.

But then again the prices matter, Intel will start its 6 cores from 2.66ghz to 3.33Ghz. AMD will start of its 12 core cpu from 1.9Ghz till 2.3Ghz and the 8 cored ones from 2.0Ghz till 2.4Ghz.

I dont think the AMD 8 core cpu would be much of a match for a Intel six core 2P but Intel quads even the ones based on Gulftown are in danger.

This is the way i see it:

Hex Lisbon 2P < Quad Gulftown 2P < Octa Magny Cours 2P < Hex Gulftown 2P < Dodeca Magny Cours 2P < Octa Magny Cours 4P < Octa Beckton 4P ~ Dodeca Magny Cours 4P < Octa Beckton 8P

JF-AMD can you pls tell if the Octa Magny Cours is based on two shanghai cores or something new?
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No, based on 2 lisbon dies. Shanghai is 2 steps back from MC.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    No, based on 2 lisbon dies. Shanghai is 2 steps back from MC.
    Since MC seems to be around much before lisbon its hard to keep perspective

If one thinks about it all the cpus for 2010 are somehow based on lisbon. Thuban is based on Lisbon and MC 8/12 are both McM's of Lisbon. All AMD had to do was to create a Lisbon, Istanbul must have helped out a lot.

The result AMD can offer comparative performance in 1P, 2P and 4P for a bit more die size and core count and the after effects is the cpu engg. team can devote their time to bulldozer its a very good plan in fact.

Because AMD can offer comparative performance as Intel in 1P 2P and 4P for similar/lower price the stock will not get much effected and AMD stays a float till BD arrives
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member

Oh, and my name is not Jeff.
    Yeah, it's John lol
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Addict
    I was with our power lab guys on Friday and they said "same power, idles lower."

That was a platform statement though because you have different chipset, different memory and some platform level things.
    Sounds quite good - 12*2.3 vs 6*2.6 at same power.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Addict
    Hey JF-AMD, Why not release a bios with a couple overclocking options? Its not like OEMs would ever touch them and it would be great for up people who really like having dual socket computers but also love to overclock. The thing I miss most since I went dual quads is the fact that Im stuck at 2.6GHz

Maybe release a single model of these new CPUs as an "OC" model that when the bios detects it a few new options get unlocked? That way the OEMs can still get their normal CPUs and no one has to worry about someone touching something they shouldnt, and those of us that want to push these CPUs can still have our fun too
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    Sounds like an impressive chip, now my questions are:
    How did AMD get ahead of Intel in the cores count? (Or why did Intel slow down?)
    How's Intel going to answer to this?

6 core Gulftown has got 12 threads
    virtually, it didn't look different in Windows Task Manager...lolz
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Hey JF-AMD, Why not release a bios with a couple overclocking options? Its not like OEMs would ever touch them and it would be great for up people who really like having dual socket computers but also love to overclock. The thing I miss most since I went dual quads is the fact that Im stuck at 2.6GHz

Maybe release a single model of these new CPUs as an "OC" model that when the bios detects it a few new options get unlocked? That way the OEMs can still get their normal CPUs and no one has to worry about someone touching something they shouldnt, and those of us that want to push these CPUs can still have our fun too
    That's a nice idea
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

My own little world
    I have a Question if you are allowed to answer JF.

I have a Client that has a renderfarm. He is currently turning away work as he is limited in floorspace for his racks (Vertically is not a problem, but become unmanageable over 64U). He is literally crying out for more power in the available space.

Can you give me a *rough* idea on how these things will crunch through 3D animation and raytracing? I know You can't go into detail until launch. I just want to know if it will work out more throughput/$ than the other company's hex-core. I am not sure on the software, but I can find out if it helps.

If it helps, and the numbers stack up, he's looking at ~960 units (Assuming 4P boards are available in short order post launch).

Fitting into the same TDP as Istanbul is great, No need to eat up more of the capacity in his cooling plant.
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post

These processors are focused on enterprise workloads. In these markets, overclocking is not desired, it is actually a problem. If an IT guy overclocks the server and it crashes, people lose their data. If you ask someone if they want 10% more performance or 10% more stability, they will take stability every time.

I'll let the client guys deal with the overclocking, it's just not for us. We focus on the enterprise.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post

6 core Gulftown has got 12 threads
    virtually, it didn't look different in Windows Task Manager...lolz
    Yes, you'll see Intel talk out of both sides of their mouth on this one. They'll call gulftown a 6 core when they are trying to compare performance (we already see them talking about "single core performance" as if you could buy a 1 core model...)

We both have philosophical differences on how we approach design, so I recommend that customers ignore the cores and ignore the threads.

What is the price, what is the power consumption and what is the performance. Then buy the best part.

It will be Opteron.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post

I have a Client that has a renderfarm. He is currently turning away work as he is limited in floorspace for his racks (Vertically is not a problem, but become unmanageable over 64U). He is literally crying out for more power in the available space.

Can you give me a *rough* idea on how these things will crunch through 3D animation and raytracing? I know You can't go into detail until launch. I just want to know if it will work out more throughput/$ than the other company's hex-core. I am not sure on the software, but I can find out if it helps.

If it helps, and the numbers stack up, he's looking at ~960 units (Assuming 4P boards are available in short order post launch).

Fitting into the same TDP as Istanbul is great, No need to eat up more of the capacity in his cooling plant.
    I am hammered with meetings all week, but PM me with your contact info and we can discuss some things.

Xtreme Mentor

this might give you some clue: http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...estudy02.shtml
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    intel has no non es hex
    Xeon 74xx are 6 core 45nm chips and have been around since 2008.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, 24 cores with a single memory controller and front side bus? They don't talk a lot about that one.

Xtreme Addict
    The fact that the CPUs were already on sale makes this a moot statement by AMD. Having a 12 core CPU is impressive, but the reduced clock speed of these processors is a definite drawback to implementations that don't fully exercise all the cores. Intel's Turbo is a very nice feature and it's a shame a similar feature isn't present on Magny-Cours, that would disable/deep idle some cores and boost clock speeds in appropriate situations. I think that Beckton, when Intel finally decides to grace us with its presence, will be more than competitive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Entity_Razer View Post
    I think its like a mandatory thing isn't it to be called "proper" member of a DC Team here on Xs :p

I remember when we where running D2OL and R@H here the Dual Xeon 1.6Ghz LV ones, clocked and modded to.... 2.8Ghz where the thing to have, and everyone had'm

So no one say Dual Socket boards are not for consumers... I'm NEVER going back to a single core.

Dual CPU's for the win
    Amen to that...it's like going from ground beef to filet mignon...once you try it, it's very hard to go back...

However, Westmere will negate many of the advantages of Gainestown, as it has been shown that Westmere UP@4.00GHz is very close to Gainestown@~3.00GHz in multi-threaded apps. Westmere DP will open the gap again, but only for those applications capable of exercising all those cores. My main motivation for getting and continuing to use a DP system is the dual chipset feature of the 5520 chipset and the extra PCI-E lanes provided by this configuration, without any bridge chip entanglements/concerns. The massive I/O bandwidth is nice too...
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

My own little world
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    The fact that the CPUs were already on sale makes this a moot statement by AMD. Having a 12 core CPU is impressive, but the reduced clock speed of these processors is a definite drawback to implementations that don't fully exercise all the cores. Intel's Turbo is a very nice feature and it's a shame a similar feature isn't present on Magny-Cours, that would disable/deep idle some cores and boost clock speeds in appropriate situations. I think that Beckton, when Intel finally decides to grace us with its presence, will be more than competitive though.
    There servers that will be built using these chips are unlikely to be idle for very long, on any number of cores. To my mind, that's a desktop feature rather than something I would include when speccing out a server. If cores are Idle, something is wrong with the system as a whole (No numbers being fed to it to crunch), or you have hugely over-specced the system.
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, 24 cores with a single memory controller and front side bus? They don't talk a lot about that one.
    At least 95% of the market would not have cared about that, Right?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    How exactly does this relate to what he asked?

Kumar said, “In this test actually, we didn't compare AMD quad core with any other machine because no other vendor was having quad core processors at that time. We did our benchmark with Dual core Intel Xeons against AMD dual core machines.” ...
    Wow! Really impressive comparision... I would not be surprised if they used the old P4 Xeons.

Xtreme Member
    Czech Republic, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
    There servers that will be built using these chips are unlikely to be idle for very long, on any number of cores. To my mind, that's a desktop feature rather than something I would include when speccing out a server. If cores are Idle, something is wrong with the system as a whole (No numbers being fed to it to crunch), or you have hugely over-specced the system.
    +1

Virtualization rule the world, most customers will just hapilly run more virtual machines on less physical machines, keeping most of cores utilized.

If there is somebody who will use only one core most the time, he probably won't buy 12core. Still some kind of Turbo could help sometimes, even more if it could overclock e.g 4 cores of 12.

Xtreme Addict
    You're quite right, but I was considering the implications of Magny-Cours on my little workstation-y world and how such a processor would slide into it (poorly).

One could also argue that, while such a processor may find a home in a server that will likely be heavily loaded during normal hours, periods of less than full usage are possible during off hours. The reduced load at times like this, and the resulting TDP headroom (and bin or two of Turbo speed that would occur), would provide additional alacrity for the active tasks on the CPU.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    At least 95% of the market would not have cared about that, Right?
    have you ever worked with those 4s 73xx and 74xx bandwidth starving servers?

95% of the market, no rather 5% of the intel server market and most bought by fouls thinking they buy the right server while it is total junk equal to the pentium xeon era.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    I am sure there will be no 3Ghz "stock" 12 core from AMD but there will be a X5680 which has 3.33ghz stock from Intel.

But then again the prices matter, Intel will start its 6 cores from 2.66ghz to 3.33Ghz. AMD will start of its 12 core cpu from 1.9Ghz till 2.3Ghz and the 8 cored ones from 2.0Ghz till 2.4Ghz.

I dont think the AMD 8 core cpu would be much of a match for a Intel six core 2P but Intel quads even the ones based on Gulftown are in danger.

This is the way i see it:

Hex Lisbon 2P < Quad Gulftown 2P < Octa Magny Cours 2P < Hex Gulftown 2P < Dodeca Magny Cours 2P < Octa Magny Cours 4P < Octa Beckton 4P ~ Dodeca Magny Cours 4P < Octa Beckton 8P

beckton is a whole different story, aiming for other market share (RISC - sparc) and to expensive to compare against 4P magny cours, not to mention already 1-2 years delayed, sounds like itanium
    Last edited by duploxxx; 02-22-2010 at 05:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    have you ever worked with those 4s 73xx and 74xx bandwidth starving servers?

95% of the market, no rather 5% of the intel server market and most bought by fouls thinking they buy the right server while it is total junk equal to the pentium xeon era.

beckton is a whole different story, aiming for other market share (RISC - sparc) and to expensive to compare against 4P magny cours, not to mention already 1-2 years delayed, sounds like itanium
    Yes thats true but since beckton is x86 it can run quite a few x86 based network app's that magny cours can also do.

The impression of HT in such app's is not at 0%, dont think people will not buy beckton 4P systems for things like virtualization, cloud, etc. The 4P based on beckton will in no way be a slouch and may give the 4P magny cours a very bad fight.

I know people who run a cloud center and they use mostly quad nehalems in 2P sets connected via stream data cable. If they got their hands on a 4P based on Beckton that would equal about 4 * 2P "Nehalem" in performance if we take it as scalier which both do not.

The 4P Beckton will give them more energy efficiency and effectiveness. Also the software will not need to be modified much its a win win scenario.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Cruncher
    @ajaidev

The price is the key factor when it comes to Beckton.The thing is huge and uber expensive ,plus the platform as a whole will cost an arm and a leg(not in MC league,neither in regards to the price nor market segment).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    The 4P Beckton will give them more energy efficiency and effectiveness. Also the software will not need to be modified much its a win win scenario.
    I will take the "over" on this bet. 1 4P Beckton actually has the potential to be more than double the power consumption of 2 Nehalems.

Each memory channel had an integrated buffer that adds cost, power and heat. Combine that with a price that is 2X the cost of Nehalem on the processors and I doubt you will see anyone in cloud heading in that direction.

Don't forget that Beckton is only 45nm.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast