Thread: [Review] Gigabyte Poseidon 310 midi tower

The Blue Dolphin

Exclamation [Review] Gigabyte Poseidon 310 midi tower

Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case review

Today I will be taking a look at the Poseidon 310, a new midi tower case by Gigabyte. The case is targeted at the mainstream to enthusiast buyer group with a price tag of roughly €80,- or US$80,-. The case is available in black or silver. Today I will be reviewing the black version.

Packaging and first impressions

The case comes packed in a big box containing also a multi-language installation guide and a smaller box containing the following:

- 6 “securing runners” for mounting had drives in the 3.5” internal device bays
    - 9 copper stand-offs for the motherboard
    - 9 securing screws for the motherboard
    - 4 screws for fastening the PSU in place
    - 2 large and 3 small adhesive wire clamps
    - A magnetic ring (to catch naughty screws in a hard to reach place?)
    - A cloth to remove dust and fingerprints from the case
    - A clear side window to replace the original black mesh one

One odd thing I noticed was that the supposedly magnetic ring doesn’t have any ferromagnetic properties at all making it useless to catch screws with. It could be that during shipping or packaging the ring endured a shock that killed the magnetic properties but I find this unlikely. More likely is that the piece wasn’t magnetized in the production process. It’s no big deal at all, but it’s a little odd so I will contact Gigabyte about it.

For describing the aesthetics of the case I can only think of one word that fits: breathtaking. Everything about the design of the outside of this case I like, a lot. The front panel is made from aluminum and the design of it is as sharp as that of an expensive tuxedo or a Lamborghini Murcielago. Gigabyte originates in Taiwan, Asia, but with this case I really wonder if they outsourced the designing of the case to Italy. I can rattle on about the design all day long, but in this part of the review I’m only supposed to talk about my first impressions

In my opinion a case can’t look much better than this.

Build quality and features

Apart from the front panel the rest of this case is constructed using steel. This means that for people that judge the size of their e-penis by the material their case is constructed from this case is not interesting. For anyone else that wants a properly constructed case with low noise vibration at $80 this case could be on their list, but we will see about that further in the review.

The case is roughly 3KG heavier than a midi size aluminum counterpart

So the case is 3KG heavier than its aluminum counterpart would be, so? I have to say that I don’t give a rats ass about this difference. What you get by buying this case is something that’s sturdier, a little heavier and it looks just the same apart from looking a bit shinier than its black aluminum counterpart. I have to say that sounds like a fair deal to me.

One thing I miss in this case is a removable motherboard tray and to me this is a big deal. It’s very handy to be able to just slide out the motherboard to change, add or remove components. On the other hand I can understand that with a $80 case you can’t have all features. The decision between a completely tool-less installation and a removable motherboard tray is a tough one. In the end I think I prefer the removable motherboard tray because it gives very easy access to the hardware. On the other hand the tool-less installation is a great feature if you are changing a components that’s easy to reach, so the decision is a tough one indeed.

Installing optical drives in the Poseidon 310 doesn’t require tools or screws.

The same applies to your PCI(e) cards. Installing them with this system is a pleasant experience.

The aluminum front panel of the case is just a piece of art. It is well constructed and it doesn’t feel cheap like some on some other cases that share a similar design. One major advantage of this design is that you can hide your 5.25” optical drives that don’t match the color of the case. Even if your drives do match the color of your case the front panel is much cleaner to the eyes. The panel is held in place by 2 strong little magnets when it is shut. In my opinion this is a good solution as it feels solid and it will never wear out over time. These magnets actually do work

Note that the front panel is the same black as the rest of the case. The grey color in this picture is the effect of bad lighting.

A drawback of this design is that it restricts the natures airflow to the front 120mm fan. Instead of sucking the air from in front of the case the air is sucked in from the bottom of the case. Add to this that the air first goes through an air filter and then has through the internal 3.5” HDD rack and you can imagine how this may affect the cooling performance of the case.

Air is sucked-in from below the case through an air filter. The filter is removable and washable. In this picture you can also see the rubber feet the case stands on to ensure that the case stays put.

On the front of the case you can find two USB2.0 ports, a 1394 firewire port, 2 ports for HD audio and a power button. Oddly enough the case doesn’t have a reset button while it does have an internal connector for this purpose. The reset SW connector isn’t shown in the installation guide. I think Gigabyte somehow “forgot” to add this feature which I find very odd.

Power button, HD audio, USB2.0, firewire. Am I missing something here?

With this case you can choose between two side panels, a black mesh one that is installed when you get the case, and also a clear plexi glass one that you can install manually. The mesh and plexi glass window are secured by a dozen screws and as many little hooks. In the installation guide I couldn’t find how to change the window so I just tried it myself.

The result of this was that I installed the windows the wrong way (inside-out from the case perspective) and the installation couldn’t be completed as it was impossible to push the last hooks through the window.
    So I just had to install the windows the other way around, right? Unfortunately that wasn’t the case as the little hooks are designed to release the window with little force, if you install the windows correctly that is, however they refuse to release the windows once it’s installed “ inside-out”.

So I used a little more force, but some of the hooks just wouldn’t budge. So I used even a little more force….well the result of this isn’t too hard to guess.

The result wasn’t that pretty, but it could have been worse.

That one doesn’t count…right guys?

After this faulty installation I then installed the window properly. One problem I encountered was that the screws wouldn’t properly catch their respective holes. Now this will never be a real problem as the window is firmly held in position by the hooks, but I still don’t like the fact that some of the screws fell out when I applied some gentle force to the window using my fingertips.

After some trouble installing the clear window the final result is beautiful

In the back of this case there aren’t too many exciting things going on, but there is one feature that actually makes the name “Poseidon 310” make sense. At the back of the case on the bottom right there are two holes which can be of use if you have an external water cooling system like the Zalman Reserator series. The holes are cut-out in the form of the star to make sure the tubes stay in place. Everything feels and looks solid at the backside of the case.

A 120mm blue LED fan, some ventilation holes near the PCI(e) slots and on the bottom right the two holes for use with an external water cooling system.

For most systems this case offers plenty of space.

The rear system fan is a brushless model that features four bright blue LEDs.

The front system fan is basically the same in black and it doesn’t have the four LEDs. Both fans have the same internals as the fan featured on the Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler. As you can see in my other review these Gigabyte fans offer excellent acoustic performance .

I installed my hard disks in the external 3.5” bays and I removed the 3.5” HDD rack to improve the airflow in the case.
    Last edited by alexio; 03-16-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

The Blue Dolphin
    The case in action

Unfortunately i didn't have a tripod at hand when I shot these pictures of the case in action, so tthey may be a bit blurry. This is because when shooting pictures in the dark without a flash (which is required for capturing the beauty of the LEDs) you need a long exposure time. It was kind of hard to hold my camera perfectly still for a full 2s, so these pictures may look a bit blurry.

Cable management is for sissies !!!

The front LEDs actually don't dim after shutting down the system. Some may like this, others may find this annoying; I don't care really

Test system and test methodology

I will do a short test on thermal and acoustic performance. The latter is very subjective, so no charts on that part. Decibel numbers are a good reference but far more important is the noise pitch, so I will look into that shortly.

For this test I used my daily system at the following settings:

CPU: E6600 @ 3600MHz, 1.5v
    RAM: 4x1GB d9 @ DDR2-1000 5-5-5-12, 1.95v
    Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS4
    GFX card: 8800GT @ 720/1725/2200 (vMEM mod at 2.05v)
    CPU cooler: Gigabyte G-power PRO 2
    HDDs: Western digital 160GB 8MB / Samsung Spinpoint T166 500GB 16MB

Benchmark: Orthos 128kb in-place
    Temp reading: Everest Ultimate 4.20 TRIAL, +5C correction for CPU and NB temperature / CHY 700 digital k-type thermometer to measure air temperature

In this test I will test the difference between running the CPU cooler at a high speed (12v) and the case fans at 5v and the other way around. The different type of window used (plexi or black mesh) is the other factor in this test

Every reading is done after running Orthos for 15 minutes. A +5C correction is used on CPU and NB temperature because I know these values are read +-5-10C too low in idle

Thermal performance

Case fans at 5v, CPU fan at 12v

Case fans at 12v, CPU fan at 5v

An open air test also featuring the G-Power Pro 2. Note the lower ambient temperature. The system settings in this test were equal

Acoustic performance

The case fans are nearly silent at 5v. At 12v they are audiable, but there are no annoying noises. The fans are secured to the case with rubber pins to ensure no parts in the case start to resonate. There is also no resonance caused by the HDDs in the system. I noticed that the HDDs are actually more quiet in the Poseidon 310 than in my Lian-Li PC60 case. I presume the reason for this is that the Poseidon is a lot sturdier as its frame is build from steel.

Summary and conclusion

The Poseidon 310 certainly isn't perfect in all aspects. The case is undeniable beautiful, but there are some draw-backs. For example, if you have a highly overclocked, air cooled CPU in your system the the Clear plexi window isn't the best option as more airflow is needed than the front system fan can provide, even at 12v. Now let's sum things up.

Pros:
    + Excellent aesthetics
    + Side window can be changed
    + Proper support for external water cooling systems
    + Tool-less installation

Neutral
    * Price is okay, but nothing more than that
    * Cooling performance is okay using the black mesh window
    * LEDs on the front of the case don't dim after system shut-down
    * Dust and fingerprints or (obviously) very visible on black cases

Cons
    - Cooling performance is somewhat limited due to restricted airflow at the front of the case
    - The installation procedure of the side windows is overly complicated and the screws don't hold
    - This case doesn't have a reset button
    - No removable motherboard tray

I must say that I like this case a lot and I can certainly see myself buying it. However I can't deny that there are some things that Gigabyte needs to improve. I would have loved to give the case an even higher rating because it's just so damn beautiful, but unfortunately I can't.

Final Verdict: a 7.5/10

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Member
    Not too shabby a review, but in terms of casing? Whoopty. I've seen a hundred other cases on that exact frame, and having two little grommets for WC tubing (honestly, you'd have a heart attack routing tubes in there), and one routed fan wire doesn't really do anything to set it apart from the pack... plus it's a little expensive for what you get. I think you can get a Centurian 534+ (same chassis, but +1 side panel intake), or quite a few others (like the sunbeams with that cross chassis abomination) for that....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very generic apart from a nice looking frontpanel.
    Intel is like Egypt in Rome:total war

The Blue Dolphin
    The frame is generic, but it's sturdy and a frame doesn't have to look good so I think it's just fine. Like I said before the front panel looks awesome and the fans are quiet.

@Tutalin: Why are the tube in/outlets such a pain to work with?

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

Xtreme Member
    Ah, I didn't mean the grommets themselves, but I meant - good luck trying to run a WCed rig in there with big bore tubing. You'd have to fight every millimeter to get to what you wanted

Xtreme Member
    The case looks quite nice, but the cooling solution for the intake is truly appalling. The Antec Solo, which I own is much better in this regard and is of a similar size.
    I MSI P67A-GD65 I Intel i5 2500K I 8Gb Samsung I
    I Corsair F3 60Gb I AMD 6850 I Dell SP2208WFP I Windows 7 x64 I
    I Current Speed: 4.5Ghz I RAM 1866Mhz @ 9-9-9-27 1T I
    I Laptop I Acer 1830T I Intel i5-470UM I Crucial M225 I 4Gb DDR3 I

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    The frame is generic, but it's sturdy and a frame doesn't have to look good so I think it's just fine. Like I said before the front panel looks awesome and the fans are quiet.

@Tutalin: Why are the tube in/outlets such a pain to work with?

Anyhow we think, you did a great review
    Intel is like Egypt in Rome:total war

Xtreme Member
    The cooling performance of this case can be improved by removing the grills and mounting a pair of MountainMods hard drive supports to the front fan.

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tile View Post
    The cooling performance of this case can be improved by removing the grills and mounting a pair of MountainMods hard drive supports to the front fan.
    Yes, with some modding the cooling performance of the case can be better. I did a temp. test after removing the air filter, but doing only that improved the CPU temperature by 1-2C, so it wasn't really worth it. If you cut away the grills on the front and back of the case you can probably lower the case temperature by about 5C depending on how fast the case fans spin and if the mesh windows is used or not.

If I was to keep the case I would surely use my Dremel to do some modding, but unfortunately I can't do it now
    Last edited by alexio; 03-17-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

Xtreme Addict
    Nice looking case, not a bad price either.
    Seems like there'd be enough space for a nice small rig.
    Steel is nice to hear. I like alu in higher end cases, but when used in small/cheap ones it always seems to be flimsy & weak.

P.S. nice breakfast @ tiffany's poster :P:

XBOX Gamertag:Fujimitsu - I'm lonely, be my friend!

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujimitsu View Post
    Steel is nice to hear. I like alu in higher end cases, but when used in small/cheap ones it always seems to be flimsy & weak.
    Exactly! An alu case is either good or terrible and the latter mostly applies to cheap cases.
    P.S. nice breakfast @ tiffany's poster :P:
    Yeah it is I saw it at my parents' house and though it would be perfect as a background for this review.

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

Hopefully it's not too late to ask this but...

The blue lights in the front... if the front fan was removed, would there be any access to disable the lights? I ask because I'm hoping to get this case in silver and do all red LEDs for it (including an animated "cylon eye" LED strip set into the front cutout) and blue glowing lights in the front would totally ruin the effect. I'm assuming I can disable/switch out the lights on the fan in back, but the ones at the front seem hard to get to... I guess I could use an opaque gloss paint to cover that stuff but I'd like to avoid that if I can and just get the lights to stop glowing. I'm pretty sure I can tell that it's still a power button and which ports are USB, etc., even without little lights telling me so.

Many thanks for any help.

The Blue Dolphin
    Yes you should be able to do that. The front panel can be removed so you have access to the LED from both the inside as well as the outside of the case. The case was a review sample that needed to be returned so I can't be more specific as I don't have the case anymore. Sorry for the late response.

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides: