Thread: XFX GeForce 7900GTX and blank screen

XFX GeForce 7900GTX and blank screen

hi all
    after i build the my first system i swiched the power on of the new system and isee the fan working and the lights inside the motherboard ar all ok runing but the only thing is the XFX GeForce 7900GTX its brand new and thers no cable withe the card so i used an old one from my old pc 2 years old (dvi one to the card and the other one to the flat screen)and when i run the new pc the screen is blank (dos it have to do with a screen coz ny flat screen is old 2 years ) and the card fan is working

this is my system the psu and the motherboard
    Antec TruePower II 550W 20-24pin PSU
    Intel BOXD975XBXLKR ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX GeForce 7900GTX

what is the problim dos any one know

thanks in advance
    Last edited by musmus; 05-20-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I dont quite understand, what cable are you talking about? Monitor cable, power cable? Is everything plugged in correctly?
    Pentium D 920 @ Max 5.0ghz
    P5WD2 E Premium
    Mushkin EM 991403
    Dual HC TDX custom water.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, maybe you need to check to see if the ram is seeted correctly? I did some work on my Video card last night and couldnt get the system to post, swapped ram possitions and it fired right up.
    Pentium D 920 @ Max 5.0ghz
    P5WD2 E Premium
    Mushkin EM 991403
    Dual HC TDX custom water.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does the system make any noise when its turned on, ie does that case speaker beep? If it does the system is able to POST and the problem most likely lies with your GFX card or motherboard PCI-E slot, if it doesnt the problem is due to more basic hardware, ie general motherboard fault/RAM/CPU. Of course there are no hard rules for any computer problem as with a system this complex the single failure of different components can cause the same problem.
    2x E5320 Clovertown
    Supermicro X7DAL-E
    4x1GB DDR2-667 FB-DIMM
    8800GTS 320MB

Xtreme Member
    Sounds to me like either your ram isn't seated correctly/completely or your ram isn't compatible with that mobo...

ok thanks all for ur replay
    i have checked the noise and there was only the fans and the flopy drive noise no beeeppp from the motherboard

and the ram is compoteble with the motherboard
    2GB (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

i think its the cable is the problim mayby coz this cable i never used it befor so i dont know

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02461.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	47360  

Xtreme Cruncher
    Cable is unlikely to be the problem. It sounds as though your PC isnt POSTing which points to a hardware fault. However try clearing CMOS, turn off PC, set jumper to 'clear' position, and remove the battery for 20 mins, set jumper back to normal, replace battery and try powering on again. Check you have the 20/24 pin mobo power connector, 4 pin mobo power and PCI-E power connector to GFX card plugged in.
    2x E5320 Clovertown
    Supermicro X7DAL-E
    4x1GB DDR2-667 FB-DIMM
    8800GTS 320MB

ok thanks i will try that but just to tell u that this is the first time is gona be runing so the bios is not confegerd and all that

Xtreme Enthusiast
    motherboards usually beep for a few seconds if the RAM isn't seated properly. Since it's your first setup, you might have forgotten to plug in the processor power connector, your processor might be dead. you said your motherboard didn't beep, so it sounds like hardware. List your setup

this is the all the thing am using inside the pc

Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition 965

XFX GeForce 7900GTX XT 512MB DDR3 PCIE

2GB (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

Pioneer DVR-110D

Hard Drives Maxtor Maxline III 300Gb S300 16MB

Antec TruePower II 550W 20-24pin PSU

Case X-Gladiator -Deluxe Silver with 2 12CM L.E.D Fans + LCD

Zalman CNPS9500-AT Aero Flower Cooler

the processor power connector is ordy plugid in i didnt forget that

thanks for ur replay

ok i have listin very good and i hear toot sound on the motherboard coming from the motherboard specker so is that bad or good and what should i do

thanks for all the replay

oh my god i hope nothing is wrong with my sys

i have rmoverd alll the ram and i run the system i get 3 beep i put it back again
    but now i have removed the hard drive and that ver low toot sound has gon so i think when i said that the toot sound coming from the motherboard speker i was wrong i think it was from the hard drive

so now when i run the system every thing is coonected i get just a very low toot sound wich i think is coming from the hard drive

so is this bad i mean is thear somthing in the system is dead no use anymore

pls any help would be woanderfull

thanks

Xtreme Member
    you tried the clearCMOS, right?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Assuming youve tried clearing CMOS. disconnect your HDD and any CD drives, remove all PCI cards except GFX, use only 1 stick of RAM and try to power the system on. If that does not work try that stick of RAM in all RAM slots. If it still doesnt work, try the second stick of RAM in all RAM slots. Then try and use a different graphics card, any old PCI-E or PCI one will do. If that doesnt work, post again!
    2x E5320 Clovertown
    Supermicro X7DAL-E
    4x1GB DDR2-667 FB-DIMM
    8800GTS 320MB

yes i did clearCMOS

thank god i thought to go and put the celinder cable for the tv in the pc and contecte it to the tv and see what hapen and when it run i get the intel logo and the massge say there is no bios found so i think i need to put the flopy diske to install the bios any way

i want to thank u all for ur help as i think the problim is with the cable or the lcd screen not the pc

and thanks for ur hellp Spudley

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol, man were we wrong, haha.

ok am having another problim but small one
    my dvd dos not open the tray i traid pushing the small buton the reset one but its like stack
    the dvd is Pioneer DVR-110D
    what should i do

thanks all

Xtreme Cruncher
    Um, its got 4 pin molex power, right?
    Asus P9X79 Pro | i7 3820 @ 4.875GHz | 4x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600| 3x 6970 Lightnings watercooled| Corsair 1200W PSU | Mountain Mods Ascension case |

yes Atomicpineapple

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you pull the IDE out then plug it back in? Because if you did, there's a little wire in the IDE cable (it's colored something different, like white or red or something). That one cable has to be on the side with the molex, and the IDE to the motherboard has to be a certain way. Turn em around cause every motherboard is different. I had that problem. If you don't do that, your part acts like no power is going to it even though everything is working fine.
    -----------------Main Setup-----------------
    Processor: Intel C2D E4600ES @ 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard: Abit AW9D-Max
    Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII HSF
    Graphics Card: eVGA 6800GS 515//1320 (hacked SLI)
    RAM: 2x 1Gb GeIL Ultra UDCA= DDR2 800Mhz cas 4
    RAM: 2x 1Gb Crucial Tenth Anniversary DDR2 667Mhz cas 3
    Hard Drive (Primary): 1 x 200Gb Seagate EIDE
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 160GB SATA
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 300Gb SATAII
    DVD-RW Drive: 1 x Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 500W

Xtreme Cruncher
    EH? Um maybe your drive is different but if I have molex power to my drive it'll open regardless of whether an IDE cable is attached, course without the IDE cable the PC wont read anything from the drive. Also it should be impossible to connect the IDE cable the wrong way round, because the motherboard, drive, and cable usually have keyed connectors. However musmus if yours doesnt do as stealthy fish suggests and flip 1 end round.
    Asus P9X79 Pro | i7 3820 @ 4.875GHz | 4x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600| 3x 6970 Lightnings watercooled| Corsair 1200W PSU | Mountain Mods Ascension case |

thanks all for ur replay

i will try to do my best and if nothing work i will retern it and get a replase

jus one qustion

my lcd advent 17in is got a dvi-i input and i have a XFX GeForce 7900GTX XT 512MB DDR3 PCIE card wich cable that will work with it i tryed the
    dvi-d male dvi-d male dual-linke
    and it didnt work
    and the dvi-i cable and it didnt work
    and i know the monter is working and the pc is working but the problim with the cable whaht kind a cable do i need

thanks

ok one more thing i check the bios in the system and it say 3.2ghz and its wrong coz the cpu is Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition 965
    and it should be 3.73ghz and i cant change it is there a way to change it to 3.73ghz

thamks

ok yes i know am asking aloat
    Hard Drives Maxtor 7V250F0 Maxline III 300Gb S300 16MB this is my hard drive and when i instal window xp pro its say 130gb so is there a way to get the full size without reinstaling window and how

thanks again