Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: DC Vault Projects Thread

Xtreme Addict
    Please read how instead of who eeck eeeck

Space for Rent

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    EON (where I am the only team member that I know of )
    I joined you on EON.

Look at the position we have at SETI ,,, that project can be milked for a lot of easy credits fast, if one can tolerate SETI.
    Seti it will be then.. for awhile.

Brings back memories of my first dabblings with a DC project-
    SETI@home member since 3 Apr 1999

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LP_
    I joined you on EON.

Wouza!!! I have a classy lady as a team mate , so let me get the champagne out to greet her.
    Last edited by Jose; 10-04-2006 at 03:27 AM.

Space for Rent

Xtreme Cruncher
    we are about to loose our #5 spot in QMC!!

i need some help ASAP.

bring on the POWER!!

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

beefin' it up!
    i'm crunchin 50/50 Rosey and QMC, so i'm there

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed
    we are about to loose our #5 spot in QMC!!

i need some help ASAP.

bring on the POWER!!
    Got some coming for you today..as soon as I can find the damn app!
    Ok, got one up and running..And I think NJKID is installing on his Opty170..
    Yell if you need more!
    Last edited by Movieman; 06-20-2006 at 02:03 AM.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    damn there close we can't lose to a SETI team , I'll give it all the power i got

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

KB

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    Jose, you have to watch EON because pretty soon it will be sleeping.. sleeping..
    meaning it has no work to do.

Ok guys, as soon as this Seti (yes Seti ) unit finishes, I'll switch that tower over to QMD.
    -------------------
    Ok, it's on QMC now.
    Last edited by LP_; 06-20-2006 at 05:25 AM.

Ker-Pow !
    Moved an a64 @2500 over to help in qmc.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    SETI is just lame. I bet those guys dress up as starwars characters... I won't crunch SETI.Ill look at some of the other projects.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech
    SETI is just lame. I bet those guys dress up as starwars characters... I won't crunch SETI.Ill look at some of the other projects.
    I agree, but I'm sure I'll get yelled at by someone. Anything looking for aliens is weird. Since my P3 isnt doing much in rosetta, and we need it more in other places, what would you guys like me to put it on?? What project??
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

I bet those guys dress up as starwars characters... .
    WTF! Never... Star Wars is just too class for those guys... they dress up in ET costumes and the like... You know the Roswell version of the alien... Big head and eyeys.. humanoid biped, and the rest of the BS! I think its one of the greatest wastes of PC CPU cycles and electricty in history. And its just getting worse, cos all new systems these days take larger power drain etc.... You know when I was in college i was Leading member of the Astronomy Society and some of these people wanted to use the comp for SETI... to hook it up to a dish and search for signals.... it never happened! I used it to look for :banana::banana::banana::banana:! ha ha ha!!!!

EDIT: Forgot ..... Sorry for the ladies that may be viewing...

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    I had to give 2 guys time off just when the new starwars movie came out recently.. These 2 guys went to like ohio or some and waited 2 weeks in some mass line, dressed as SS Storm Troopers.. I put them on detail when they returned when i found out. Its sad when you see a 35 and 41 yr old playing starwars... Now i know why they arent married.

So, whats the breakdown on these projects? I have a gutless 754 clawhammer that needs some work.

Xtreme Addict
    There is one AND ONLY ONE very good reason for a team that wants to have Vault Dominance like we do to do SETI: the vault points formula rewards with more points upwards movement of teams that are down in the ranks... the lower the team in the ranks the more points the vault rewards you with. If you don't believe me check the vault standings today and please notice where are we getting the most points ( Hint: in those teams where we are under a 100 or even better still where we are under a thousand !!!!!.) The other case is when we start a new team!

So we are under 37500 at SETI. Care to guess how many vault points any significant upwards movement in SETI could get us ?

I don't like SETI for reasons that have nothing to do with ET ( I have problems finding intelligent live on Earth, thus I doubt there is intelligence outside our universe) but if we want Primo Vault points fast , SETI@Home , a new team (Notice how the new Climate Prediction Team just got us more than 2000 Vault points) or the teams where we are lower than 100, 1000, 2000, or 3000 are the way to go.

Also remember that the chances for being numero uno @ the Vault without having a significant presence in all the teams is hard (Drat 37000 is not significant)
    Last edited by Jose; 06-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Space for Rent

Xtreme Addict
    I had to give 2 guys time off just when the new starwars movie came out recently.. These 2 guys went to like ohio or some and waited 2 weeks in some mass line, dressed as SS Storm Troopers.. I put them on detail when they returned when i found out. Its sad when you see a 35 and 41 yr old playing starwars... Now i know why they arent married.

So, whats the breakdown on these projects? I have a gutless 754 clawhammer that needs some work.

May I suggest Sztaki Desk or Get some people to run the World Community Grid or Ubero thingies or start one of the math projets where we dont have teams and we need the points.

Space for Rent

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    I agree, but I'm sure I'll get yelled at by someone. Anything looking for aliens is weird. Since my P3 isnt doing much in rosetta, and we need it more in other places, what would you guys like me to put it on?? What project??

If memory doenst fail me one of the Sieve projects where we dont have a team likes P3s let me check for you?

Prime Sierpinski Problem - Sieve

Read all the info here http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2665 I marked some stuff in red and posted it here.

What portion of the project to contribute?

The best part depends on your computer type. The sieve software doesn't work well on computers with Pentium-4 chips. So by default all P4's should participate in the PRP portion. Other fast computers might participate in the sieving or the PRP portion. Slow computers should stick with sieving, since the time it takes to sieve a work unit is constant and does not increase over work units, unlike PRP, where time increases exponentially over work units. Computers as slow as 166 MHz can also make some difference to the sieving portion of the project.

How to participate?

PRP: Use the automated network client if your computer has an Internet connection and you don't want to deal with installing work and submitting results. If you are without an Internet connection you can run the manual version of the client, but you will have to then manually reserve ranges and submit results. You could though reserve ranges from one computer with an Internet connection and then transfer the files to another computer with no Internet connection and then back to the first computer to submit results and get more work.

Note: - If you are on a LAN and have several machines or you are behind a firewall and cannot connect to the outside world, you can run your own server or proxy server that distributes numbers to your clients.

An illustrated guide for running the network/server client or the manual client for PRP can be found here.

Sieving: - We only have a manual client for this currently. We are working on an automated version.
    An illustrated guide for running the manual sieve client can be found http://www.psp-project.de/guides/sieving.html

So as you can see P3s have an use still lol

Once the first credits to a person are posted in the project mb, a team can be formed and registered at the vault.

This gets use for some coputers that may not be usefull at Rosetta while we do great things at Rossetta.
    Last edited by Jose; 06-20-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Space for Rent

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Thanks Jose. Kinda busy studying tonight (last comp tomorrow) so I'll try to get it running soon.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Addict
    I remember Comps.... ARGH!!!!!!! Good Luck man

Space for Rent

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Interesting. Anyone is free to run SETI if they want. Im not wasting my time with ET's, but feel free.

This Sieve project doesnt seem very easy to setup... Its all manual, including submitting results via PM.. To much effort for me. I need automated tasks.
    Last edited by Haltech; 06-20-2006 at 07:20 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Interesting. Anyone is free to run SETI if they want.
    Im not wasting my time with ET's, but feel free.
    We agree on this one but for different reasons. I just don't consider SETI the priority that I do with the other projects. I think the medical research is #1 priority whether it's Rosy,F@H, or even D2OL(YEECH!)
    SETI may give DCVault points but I think it's a waste of what can be used better elsewhere. JUST my 2 centavlos..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've got the Prime project running on my laptop. Once I can start posting on their forums, I'll get the XtremeSystems team started.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    We agree on this one but for different reasons. I just don't consider SETI the priority that I do with the other projects. I think the medical research is #1 priority whether it's Rosy,F@H, or even D2OL(YEECH!)
    SETI may give DCVault points but I think it's a waste of what can be used better elsewhere. JUST my 2 centavlos..

To MM and Haltech: I agree with you regarding SETI: it is a waste of research time , it is lame and it is @@@ . So please do not read me as saying any major crunching resource investment should be done there. (I will not do SETI, unless ETs mother calls me at my house ...so fat chance)

But we cannot forget that there are math projects and physical science projects that need to be dealt with as very soon we will be dominating most if not all biological science projects and vault points will not be coming our way there. So, I for one will not deny anyone the chance to do some Seti , should they want.

Haltech want to have some automatic biological science projects: run the World Community Grid and Ubero. The nice thing about them is that you set them and forget them and they will give points without one even noticing. They are basically maintenance free and they are suitable for any computer that is slow and that cannot be used in those projects that need speed and a lot of power . The negative side of them is that they can take a lot of memory.

Again: I am pleased to see how we as a team deal with the vault issue. We do not improvise, we respect each others point of view, we do not force projects for projects sake ( we evaluate our rigs to see what they can do best and more important we evaluate ourselves to determine what gets our juices pumping), we keep supporting the Major projects at the level they need and very important: we help each teams effort when they need it,

We keep having fun while doing good.

Ps we moved up to 27

Space for Rent

Xtreme Addict
    Interesting. Anyone is free to run SETI if they want. Im not wasting my time with ET's, but feel free.

This Sieve project doesnt seem very easy to setup... Its all manual, including submitting results via PM.. To much effort for me. I need automated tasks.
    Another automated task that is easy to set (it is a Boinc Project) is Sztaki Desk. The work units are short are processed fast. (The down side is their freaking quorum)

I agree with you : Sieve is hard to set up and report . But please remember that Sieve is not for everyone.. This is the place where P3s that otherwise are not being used optimally in another project can be used. Again, a person should enter a project that fits his computing profile best. We are in agreement that careful selection of projects is what makes the DC experience viable and useful for us.

Ps : I think you should sent ET a copy of your mug picture : the one with the big gun.... Once he sees what is waiting for him here, he will disconnect his phone.
    Last edited by Jose; 06-21-2006 at 03:05 AM.

Space for Rent

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose

Ps : I think you should sent ET a copy of your mug picture : the one with the big gun.... Once he sees what is waiting for him here, he will disconnect his phone.

I know it worked for me. I got an immediate disconnect, and I'm on DSL.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast