Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Red Library DLV (DC) project thread + guide.

Xtreme Cruncher

The Red Library DLV (DC) project thread + guide.

http://www.readyresponse.org/index.p...tributed&opt=2

The Red Library DLV project, or Red Library for short, is a long run DC project by XS that uses Bandwidth not CPU power and increases our DC Vault rank. Here is what the people who create the project give as an explanation;

What is Red Library?
    Red Library is Ready Response's search engine with a difference - every single link in the database is hand picked (at present 7000+ links) and categorized. It is a tremendous resource and used by many other sites/visitors worldwide, but as with all search engines there is always a possibility that a link in the database will become a broken a link (404).

What is this projects purpose?

The idea behind this project was to make a client application which downloads links from the Red Library server, validates them (i.e. checks to see if they are 404 or not) and then returns the results back to Red Library. The Red Library server will then double check all the links that come back reported as 404, and remove the links if they are found to be down over a period of 7 days or longer. Basically - the more people that run the client, the less bad links will be present in Red Library!

Although this project is not seen as overly useful it uses near 0 cpu power and instead relies on bandwidth like MJ-12 and DIMES so you can run a cpu intensive DC project such as rosetta along side it. Red Library however has the advantage of using less bandwidth per client than either MJ-12 or DIMES. I have also only seen mine use 15mb of ram (in task manager) per client so many can be run on one boxen.

SETUP GUIDE

1)First you must register by following this link here and await them to email you your password. You then have to join the Xtreme Systems team this can be done by clicking Join on the team page here

Once you have joined the team and recieved the email from ready response containing your password you can proceed to download and setup the client.

2)You can download the client from this page here at the moment there are only clients for windows and mac but they are working on a linux client. You only have to download the client once even if you want to run more than one of them.

3)Once you have downloaded unzipped and installed the client you simply fill in your username and password in the boxes (you can cut and paste(ctrl+v) your password in to save trouble)) and then select how often and how much you want the client to work. This can be done through the 2 drop down boxes to the right of where you filled in your username and password. To get the most out of your client in the top drop down box labelled interval select 5 mins meaning it will work every 5 mins, next in the box below it, labbeled links, select the maximum of 10 so now the client will validate 10 links every 5 mins, this is the most one client can do.

Now this is the way I add multiple clients;

4)To replicate the client simply copy the entire folder that the client you just setup is in and paste it somewhere else (may be wise to keep all clients in one folder). Now enter the client folder you just pasted and rename the "Red-LibDLV.exe" to something else "A.exe","B.exe"etc. Now you can simply open the clients up and they will run in unison, repeat this for however many clients you want.

A problem you may encounter is the taskbar fills with clients as hixie found out so remember you can simply drag it up to stack it like this

Another way to solve the taskbar issue is to hide the icons, thank Martijn for the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Martijn
    This works agains the icons in the taskbar:

Rightclick on taskbar, select properties, press customize, then modify your icons' preferences.

Now lets take number 1 in DC vault miscellaneous section
    Last edited by [XC]melymel; 07-26-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Wandersome Cruncher
    Uh oh
    Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by vaio
    Uh oh
    You guys have a 5.5million point headstart use it wisely the XS steamrollers about to get going, we'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks

Where's me Beer?
    I'm running Red Library at around 50% power now, just gotta sort out that taskbar problem

Wandersome Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    You guys have a 5.5million point headstart use it wisely the XS steamrollers about to get going, we'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks

You'll soon pass us........most of our team got bored with the 3 client restriction and gave up on it.
    Just one or two of us part time now....we were 2nd til recently, be out of the top 10 soon

Have fun

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by vaio
    You'll soon pass us........most of our team got bored with the 3 client restriction and gave up on it.
    Just one or two of us part time now....we were 2nd til recently, be out of the top 10 soon

Have fun
    Give them note then that the restriction has been lifted so you can run as many clients as you want on one rig!

The restriction was what put most of us off too and why we didnt really take it seriously. Hope to see you giving us some good competition now

Wandersome Cruncher
    We be a small team.......most of what we do have goes into MJ12......and we're still getting caned there too.

We can't compete with the big guns (ain't surrendering though )

typo edit.

edit 2.......oops, sorry I keep smapping up your dc threads.

Where's me Beer?
    I'm sure some underdog team will give us a little poke in the future

Xtreme Cruncher
    I almost forgot anyone with suggestions/ questions/ additions/ ways to better the guide, just post here and i'll add/edit it to the original post

Mr. Boardburner
    This works agains the icons in the taskbar:

Rightclick on taskbar, select properties, press customize, then modify your icons' preferences.

Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    Cheers Martijn I have added it to the top for those that don't scroll down pages I can't wait until they get the linux client windows is driving me mad.

beefin' it up!
    tossed up 10 clients, we'll see if it impacts MJ12 at all. if it does i'm dumpin DLV

Thanks Mely! This vault section is becoming a one stop resource for a lot of projects and how to get started!

Ker-Pow !
    Nice work melymel. I will sticky. I reckon I must have over 50 clients running now over 3 machines but I dont seem to get consistant points. Gonna try and add anoter 20 to 40 today depending on how I get on.

On a side note since yesterday same time we went from 15th producer overall to 4th....way to go team.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Cheers for stickying it

For some reason none of my clients seem to have done anything today although I have 100 running and they're all validating I have just fired up another instance of MJ-12 that has v. high errors so i may try closing that and see if it helps.

Ker-Pow !
    Mine are sporadic, did 9000 on the last update that I checked.....I cant remember how many I have running now....lol

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by thewildblue
    Mine are sporadic, did 9000 on the last update that I checked.....I cant remember how many I have running now....lol
    How long have they been running now? Mine appeared to have settled down to 9K per update last night after a few hours of fluctuant output but then i went and opened MJ-12

I actually did something last update after closing both MJ-12 clients so to me it seems there may be a conflict if running MJ-12 + lots of RL clients although I was getting 100K updates in MJ-12 so it may just have been sucking up all the bandwidth i'll leave MJ-12 off for now and see if it picks up anymore.

Ker-Pow !
    Well since yesterday morning for the early ones and this for some of the later ones.

We jumped 2 places today.....w00t

Mr. Boardburner
    Exactly how much bandwith does one client use? I understand it can fluctuate a little depending on the size of the pages, but I'm sure someone can give me an idea?
    Main rig:

I would like to know how mutch bandwith it uses too.

Is it "only" checking for 404's on the www, or is there something else it does?
    Laptop: i5 3230 @ stock, 2x4GB RAM, 240GB SSD (Kingston SSD now), nVidia GT640M + Intel HD4000 GFX.

Ker-Pow !
    Well I have about 80 clients running and I dont even notice them on my connection, where-as 60 dimes would show up. Seems it only checks links. It does 10 links every 5 mins at maximum settings.

Mr. Boardburner
    That is nothing... I'll try and pop in a few clients as soon as I can fire up my MJ-12 rig again...
    Main rig:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Warnign people I had to stop MJ-12 because it wouldn't run with RL. I don't know if MJ-12 was hogging all my connection or if my nic's couldn't handle it but closing MJ-12 fixed the problem!!

I'm testing my laptop atm because i dont think it was doing anything so my output will be up and down for a while, also my friend wanted me to kick his a$$ on enemy territory breifely

Xtreme Cruncher
    my laptop did something now and i'm hoping to match you for the top pie James so watch out .

I find 60-65 clients is the maximum you can fit on 512mb and run other things and so at the moment have 12,500 per update. I don't know whats up with the scores today but it seems we have yesterdays output added up aswell giving us 1st,3rd and 6th overall

The good thing is today we're only 12,000 behind Free-DC so one extra person could make the difference and get us into 3rd daily, so come on you old DIMERS we need some more help!!!!

Ker-Pow !
    Wow whats your usage like, Im finding that running 30 on a 1gb system is taking up 1.2gb in mem usage. So its swapping a little. What version of .framework you running. Im only using 1.1 Wonder if that is why I have such high usage.

I am nowwhere near maxxed out, Im just down on rigs because of the heat, have another 5gb of ram in systems waiting to abused with red library....lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast