Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" Mod Thread (including "Conroe" support for rev 303 and lower)

Banned

Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" Mod Thread (including "Conroe" support for rev 303 and lower)

General Instructions and Disclaimer

There are many revision of the Intel "Bad Axe" is circulation. These mods have been successfully tested on a rev 302 board. This isn't intended to imply that earlier revision boards cannot be modified, simply that I can't guarantee this. Standard disclaimers apply, neither myself nor Xtremesystems.org is resonsible for any damages to ANY of your hardware as a result of these modifications. These instructions are provided "as is" with no warranty either expressed or implied. With that being said, have fun.

Note: There is nothing terribly difficult about completing this mod but based on size of the components that need to be added I would rate this mod at an "expert solderer" level. If you feel at all uncomfortable doing this I would highly recommend that you have the actual changes done by someone better qualified or don't do this at all.

Now, onto the good stuff. With the following modifications your Intel D975XBX board will be "Conroe" Core 2 Duo/Extreme ready. Backwards compatability is maintained.

Initial Conditions

BIOS required: 0618 (February 2006) or later. Avoid BIOS 1009....it is broken. I recommend 0908 or 1304. My experience with 1073 was not good. Best practices, flash to the BIOS before you make any of the following hard changes to the board.

Image 1. Conroe Support - four (4) modifications (of 5 total).

Step 1, 2 and 3 - solder in each open pads shown the following:
    SMD 0402 1.0 kohm resistor (I recommend a tolerance of 5% or better). Note: 1.0 kohm = 1000 ohms, be careful.

Step 4 - solder in the open pad shown the following:
    SMD 0402 24.9 ohm resistor (I recommend a tolerance of 1% or better).

Image 2. Conroe Support - one (1) modification (of 5 total).

Step 5 - solder in the open pad shown the following:
    SMD 0603 0 ohm resistor or simply solder between the pads to short them together.

Image 3. Vcore "Modification" - unlocked BIOS for ALL chips (optional)

Notice the 3-pin header called "BIOS CONFIG" used for flashing and maintenance mode. Now...notice the empty silk-screen locations (OC DEBUG) above that in the picture? Intel has purposefully not shown the through-holes in their pictures as they have been blacked out. (I have shown them with the yellow circles.)

Mod: Short together the holes shown. Use either conductive ink or solder. If you wish, install a header and use an extra shorting bar from your included accessories to make this mod changable!

When you boot and enter the BIOS you will have full control over CPU VID (vcore), Enhanced Power Slope (reduces vdroop to 50% default), and Default Bus Override (533, 800, 1066, 1333Mhz) with the ability to go 30% over your set FSB! ClockGen also works with the ICS 954123 PLL chip. Please donate if you find the program useful.

Note: Some people have reported that this mod is not needed with B0 stepping Conroe ES CPUs on the newer rev 304 MB. Do the mod if you need to, otherwise this gains nothing.

Image 4. Vddr Modification - up to ~2.8V for your DDR2 (optional)

A special thanks to TAM, PRTeamJapan and all the members of Team Japan for their work in creating this modification!!!

Mod: Connect a 10K ohm potentiometer from Pin #1 of U6H1 (SC2612E) to GND. Set to maximum resistance before connecting. Lower resistance to raise volts. It is recommended that a separate 220ohm resistor be added to the VR in series to prevent grounding Pin #1. This allow for ~2.8V to your DDR2. Make sure you know what your memory can handle before you put excessive voltage to it!

Note: This mod can be done on the newer rev. 304 board also!

Image 5. Extreme Vcore Modification (not recommended for those not using LN2)

A special thanks to TAM and all the members of Team Japan for their work in creating this modification!!!

Complete Image 3. Vcore "Modification" - unlocked BIOS for ALL chips before making this modification. That step allows selection of 1.6v by BIOS (~1.565v real) for the CPU. This is more than enought to carry most users to maximum clock with their Conroe CPU. If you have more exotic cooling (read: LN2) then complete this modification and the one below, if desired, to allow for manual temperature offset.

Mod: Connect a 50K ohm potentiometer (set at maximum resistance) rrom Pin #4 (red points) of ADP3189 to GND. Lower resistance to increase Vcore. This allows for ~0.2v increase over BIOS values (~1.75v real) at 6K ohm. Lower settings cause a shutdown on voltage protection (a modification is being worked to get around this). The green dot shows the measure point (to ground) for Vcore.

Note: This mod can be done on the newer rev. 304 board also!

Image 6. Tcore Modification (not recommended for those not using LN2 or other cooling > -127C)

A special thanks to OMEGA and all the members of Team Japan for their work in creating this modification!!!

The onboard thermal diode is monitored by the SMSC EMC6D103CZC and allows reading temperatures as low as -127C (1/2 of an unsigned 8-bit boundry). This modification allows for a manual positive offset.

Mod: Remove the resistor from the pad shown below and solder a 200 ohm potentiometer in place. Set to 100 ohms for ~30C increase. More resistance creates a bigger positive thermal reading offset. Do not set too high or you may run into problems with water or air cooling (remember to set back when you don't need the offset).

Allowing the thermal diode to go below -127C will cause the board to alarm and shutdown on thermal protection. This allows LN2/cascade users to go MUCH lower. (Using bigger VRs may allow for an even bigger maximum tunable offset.)

Note: This mod can be done on the newer rev. 304 board also! Notice that you can see some of the SMT resistors soldered to a rev. 302 board in this pic. (The components soldered in place are even bigger than those called out in the guide steps 1-3 above!)

Last note: Contact me (via PM) if you would like me to supply you with the required components to complete the "Conroe support" mods. I have them ready to go and can deliver anywhere in the world. Just put "D975XBX Mod Parts" as the PM title.

-FCG

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freecableguy; 09-24-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great . !!!!! do u know if something similan do the job with p5wd2-e i975's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can u do these mods with a simple sharp soldering iron?
    Overclocking made in Austria

Xtreme Member
    Awesome FCG

Anybody around my neck of the woods with expert soldering skills? It looks simple but I ain't touching it. Got itchy fingers though.... LOL
    E6700 2.66@4.5 Ghz | Mach II GT | Abit AW9D-Max | Corsair PC5400UL
    Viewsonic VP201s + Dell FP2001 | 2x Sapphire X1950XTX/CFE | SB X-Fi Fata1ty
    3dmark2001se: 76259 | 3dmark06: 13055 | 3dmark05: 24572
    3dmark03: 42873 | PCMark05: 11452 | Superpi 1M: 10.938

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, very good work ^^

I wondered when you will release this How2 as I saw "Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" rev 302 modded for "Conroe" support" in your Sig

truly amazing! many people might buy Rev302 Board now and just mod them for Conroe support!
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    I am lars

Already have the 1 K0hms resistors, Dont have the 24.9 Ohms but can have it in 3-4 days and give you the motherboard back before 21.00
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Member
    Thanks FCG. Much appreciated.

Excellent! I was looking forward to this FCG.

Xtreme Legend
    I have done this mod for rev. 302 board.

This mod wasn´t the easiest, I must say

Size of the resistors used in this mod (0402) is only 1mm x 0.5mm, so you can pretty easily figure out if you can do it or not

Xtreme Member
    Will have to give this a go with my 302

Intel mod

Well done FCG!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt
    I have done this mod for rev. 302 board.

This mod wasn´t the easiest, I must say

Size of the resistors used in this mod (0402) is only 1mm x 0.5mm, so you can pretty easily figure out if you can do it or not
    Well if you think it's hard, I'm 112% sure I cannot do it

Talked to Nosfer@tu and he believes he can do it, but I might leave it, my rev. 304 should arrive within about a week.
    E6700 2.66@4.5 Ghz | Mach II GT | Abit AW9D-Max | Corsair PC5400UL
    Viewsonic VP201s + Dell FP2001 | 2x Sapphire X1950XTX/CFE | SB X-Fi Fata1ty
    3dmark2001se: 76259 | 3dmark06: 13055 | 3dmark05: 24572
    3dmark03: 42873 | PCMark05: 11452 | Superpi 1M: 10.938

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens[2004]
    Great . !!!!! do u know if something similan do the job with p5wd2-e i975's
    Very nice FCG! I'm also wondering the answer the the above question; would be great if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    General Instructions and Disclaimer

There are many revision of the Intel "Bad Axe" is circulation. These mods have been successfully tested on a rev 302 board. This isn't intended to imply that earlier revision boards cannot be modified, simply that I can't guarantee this. Standard disclaimers apply, neither myself nor Xtremesystems.org is resonsible for any damages to ANY of your hardware as a result of these modifications. These instructions are provided "as is" with no warranty either expressed or implied. With that being said, have fun.

Note: There is nothing terribly difficult about completing this mod but based on size of the components that need to be added I would rate this mod at an "expert solderer" level. If you feel at all uncomfortable doing this I would highly recommend that you have the actual changes done by someone better qualified or don't do this at all.

Now, onto the good stuff.

With the following modifications your Intel D975XBX board will be "Conroe" Core 2 Duo/Extreme ready. Backwards compatability is maintained.

Initial Conditions:
    BIOS required: 0618 (February 2006) or later. Avoid BIOS 1009....it is broken. I recommend 0908 or 0807. Best practices, flash to the BIOS before you make any of the following hard changes to the board.

Image 1. Four (4) modifications (of 5 total).

Step 1, 2 and 3 - solder in each open pads shown the following:
    SMD 0402 1.0 kohm resistor (I recommend a tolerance of 5% or better). Note: 1.0 kohm = 1000 ohms, be careful.

Step 4 - solder in the open pad shown the following:
    SMD 0402 24.9 ohm resistor (I recommend a tolerance of 1% or better).

Image 2. One (1) modification (of 5 total).

Step 5 - solder in the open pad shown the following:
    SMD 0603 0 ohm resistor or simply solder between the pads to short them together.

Last note: Contact me (via PM) if you would like me to supply you with the required components to complete this mod. I have them ready to go and can deliver anywhere in the world. Just put "D975XBX Mod Parts" as the PM title.

-FCG
    Can this mod be done on any 975X motherboard ?

Xtreme Member
    No, other boards will have a different PCB layout and even if there are similarities there is no guarentee of BIOS support yet.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the great info once again, FCG.

Any word on the DFI motherboard?

P5Q Deluxe Rev 1.03G 0803 BIOS
    q9450 L813A719 @ 3.8
    2x2gig OCZ Platinum XTC PC28000 5-5-5
    Visiontek 4850
    OCZ gxs 700w
    Antec p180
    Thermalright Ultra 120 w/ 120mm Yate Loon @1350+/- rpm

www.Fairtax.org

Xtreme Recruit
    As much as I appreciate FCG sharing this info, I can't attempt this, have to wait for the real mobos.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome. I am so glad we have insane people on XS with no fear and soldering irons.
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

how in the world did you find that out, amazing

Skulltrail Addict - XIP
    probably comparing side by side the rev 302 to the 304
    and we also know from a datasheet what intel added to the bill of components for rev 304

does this need a bios flash too to support Conroe cpus ?

thanks for the mod

excellent post!!!! i love reading these although i dont have the board

INTEL inside
    nice mod FCG
    got pics of your actual vmod ?
    retired computer enthusiast

Xtreme Member
    Wow professionally done thanks FCG.
    X6800 @ 3.5Ghz 1400FSB w/ CNPS9700 NT
    eVGA 8800 GTX, Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, Antec P180b
    X-Fi XtremeMusic, Enermax Liberty 620
    2X Plextor 755SA, 2X 36GB Raptor 10K (Raid 0)
    2X2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA

Backup System
    P4 630 W CNPS 9500 AT, Asus P5N32 SLI-SE
    eVGA 7900 GT SC CO
    Sony DRU702A, HP 530i
    2X512 MB Mushkin DDR2-667, Seagate 80 GB 7200.7
    WD Cavier SE 160 GB IDE
    ThermalTake Soprano w 450 Watt Antec Smartpower 2.0

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc
    Can this mod be done on any 975X motherboard ?
    please keep in mind not repeating this big pics in your replies

with a PHD degree you should know how to manage this
    there are people with modems here....
    Last edited by mine; 06-26-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Why Intel's components (IC's and mosfet etc...) all black, without a sign on them ?

Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast