Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Hey XS we got a Majestic 12 team !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've used your screenshots and edited them with red numbers for the changes:

In the Connection tab, did you mean to say 50Mbps for the Downstream box? (I'm going off of the info from the speedtest result you posted a couple posts above) The current setting is set at 5Mbps if I'm right which is probably really limiting your output. Try these new settings and see what results you get after an hour(don't forget to restart the majestic 12 node after applying those settings).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Legend
    Both reset....will report back later.

.... as usual to start with I don't understand a bunch of the settings/terminology but I will get there eventually

Deadly, You have behaved like one of the WCG guys in your willingness to assist. Many thanks for your help...It seems the community ethos has spread

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Both reset....will report back later.

.... as usual to start with I don't understand a bunch of the settings/terminology but I will get there eventually

Deadly, You have behaved like one of the WCG guys in your willingness to assist. Many thanks for your help...It seems the community ethos has spread

We're a small group here in the XS MJ12 section but very close knit Dave and the rest helped me when I first started and I'm glad to be able to do the same

Xtreme Legend
    Well hopefully these numbers will help... first is xp second is vista

incidentally I asked for UK only on the XP rig and any on the other
    Last edited by OldChap; 05-24-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add pic + info

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well hopefully these numbers will help
    That's much better Now try increasing the number of workers in the Crawler tab under Tools>Options from 175 to 230. Is that screenshot from the Windows XP machine? If so, there is a tweak that can help. Windows XP has a default limit of 10 maximum TCP connection attempts it can make per second in order to slow down the spread of worms from infected machines over the internet. However, this also limits MJ12 to 10 connection attempts per second, but the limit is adjustable through a patch. This limit doesn't exist in Vista or Win 7.

Download it here: http://www.lvllord.de/download.php?u...tch223d-en.zip and then after it's saved to your computer, open it and run the EvID4226Patch.exe file(it may popup as a virus alert, but it is safe to run). After it opens, type the letter 'c' then type 5000, then letter 'y'. If everything goes perfectly it should say 'installation done' and should do a countdown and afterwards ask you to restart your computer.

Xtreme Legend
    Increased.... yep left ss is xp and I've dl'd and run that.

running again but it is teatime here...renowned for my connection slowing some till later in the evening....I'll have another look at this around this time tomorrow then maybe you can appraise the results so far.

It will be interesting to see if my ISP notices this as being outside of their "acceptable usage" limit that they have on their unlimited broadband

Again, thanks for all your help

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Increased.... yep left ss is xp and I've dl'd and run that.

running again but it is teatime here...renowned for my connection slowing some till later in the evening....I'll have another look at this around this time tomorrow then maybe you can appraise the results so far.

It will be interesting to see if my ISP notices this as being outside of their "acceptable usage" limit that they have on their unlimited broadband

Again, thanks for all your help
    You're getting 300k+ URL's per hour which is damn good(which may rise a little more after the new settings) Only other advice I can give to increase more points is to add more nodes. Otherwise your golden Keep an eye on your emails or however you're ISP communicates with you and see what they say(if they do). If they complain you can either lower the settings in MJ12 or run it at only certain times of the day or night. Also, any errors in MJ12 or internet related problems let us know.

Thanks again for joining!!
    Last edited by DeadlyFire; 05-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    One quick question... when This picks up on a site that gets flagged by AVG or multiple addresses of the same site as I have just now ... do I need to take any action?

It is
    One quick question... when This picks up on a site that gets flagged by AVG or multiple addresses of the same site as I have just now ... do I need to take any action?
    No.

You are not in any way infected. Let AVG know it's ok.
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

Xtreme Legend
    That's good news.... so I've upped the ante and put it on a third rig (I just remembered I put a 250 gig drive in that one....the others are a bit small)....now to see how it effects our normal internet use

I know I won't get half a mill an hour but I can try for over 10 mill a day

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's good news.... so I've upped the ante and put it on a third rig (I just remembered I put a 250 gig drive in that one....the others are a bit small)....now to see how it effects our normal internet use

I know I won't get half a mill an hour but I can try for over 10 mill a day
    Like Frisch said disregard any virus alerts from MJ12, you're safe 10 mill is a great addition to the team

Xtreme Cruncher
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Legend
    Duh . Now there's a name I didn't see in a while.

Checked before bed last night and found lots of connection errors on the third rig (x3350, 2gig, Vista) It crunches and folds too so I may have to look at the settings later. Its connected to a 10/100 hub too not a switch and should share with rig2 ... Time for some more learning

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Talk about being out of the loop..
    I check at the MJ12 site today,see the team in the #3 position,doa"That's better than normal"then openupthe team tab and see 5mil+ beside this "Old Chap"name..
    Then I do a"Son of a Biatch"..
    Didn't know the UK had fast lines..
    Thanks for helping Old Chap!
    Greatly appreciated!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    Well I did say I'd take a look at this......and nothing from my ISP yet.....I'm thinking that my daily rig might get a rest for a couple of hours around this time of day so I may have to lower my sights a bit....quite a lot if rig 3 is mem limited

What time do the stats update on this? normal DC time? or do you guys use something different?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Well I did say I'd take a look at this......and nothing from my ISP yet.....I'm thinking that my daily rig might get a rest for a couple of hours around this time of day so I may have to lower my sights a bit....quite a lot if rig 3 is mem limited

What time do the stats update on this? normal DC time? or do you guys use something different?
    yup,12:01am your time
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    So, a little update. Just one screenshot of the xp rig which ran the whole 24 hours. MJ12 stopped on the 1st Vista rig after about 1.5mill so I've rebooted that and am watching..will record what happens if it fails again. The 3rd rig is now running again, re-booted, but with one card less folding....just to observe the result when there are more resources available

Anyone want to comment on parts spec eg on hard drives that would improve this or am I wholly reliant on internet speeds? also...

Under Charts the mem tab shows nothing on the graph ...normal or not?

Xtreme Legend
    Not Good here

Xp machine just seemed to be MJ stopped showing connected and crawling but v.high conn errors. restarting MJ alone did not help ....needed a reboot ....the total was only just over 5 mill so only ran for about 8 hours since the ss above

Vista1 had re-started

Vista2 similar to Xp but locked sooner

My feeling is that is is filling some buffer to its maximum and locking up

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not Good here

Xp machine just seemed to be MJ stopped showing connected and crawling but v.high conn errors. restarting MJ alone did not help ....needed a reboot ....the total was only just over 5 mill so only ran for about 8 hours since the ss above

Vista1 had re-started

Vista2 similar to Xp but locked sooner

My feeling is that is is filling some buffer to its maximum and locking up
    See my post to your thread on the MJ12 forum. I had the same problem because my router simply couldn't handle it. The solution is to buy a better router(more expensive option) or to slowly lower the number of workers per node until the locking up stops happening. So for 3 machines, with 175 workers each, try lowering the amount of workers to 165 per node. Repeat the process by lowering the # of workers 5-10 per node at a time until the freezing stops happening.

Here's a reference:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well I just up'ed my BW that this project is using hopefully I won't get a letter from Charter... the magic 8 balls says "It's decidedly so."

DeadlyFire and OldChap thank you for helping make this easy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Slinky View Post
    Well I just up'ed my BW that this project is using hopefully I won't get a letter from Charter... the magic 8 balls says "It's decidedly so."

DeadlyFire and OldChap thank you for helping make this easy.
    nice to hear! Keep on crawling

Xtreme Legend
    Would someone like to explain how to reduce my DNS error rate? Is this some function of the network or connection? or is it a rig thing?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Would someone like to explain how to reduce my DNS error rate? Is this some function of the network or connection? or is it a rig thing?
    You can change the DNS server your computer uses instead of relying on the one your internet service provider offers you. I have Verizon as my ISP but I use Sprint DNS servers on my home network because they are consistently faster. There is a benchmark tool that allows you to test your computer on dozens of different DNS servers and see which DNS servers are fastest. Download link

Follow these instructions here to change your DNS: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html (they should also work for WinXP) At the end where it says to put 2 IP addresses into the box, do not use the ones the instructions give you, but use the ones that were the fastest from the benchmark tool below(the SS is of my results so make sure to rely on your own test data). If your current DNS servers are as fast or faster than the other servers in the chart, then leave them as-is.
    Last edited by DeadlyFire; 05-29-2010 at 06:09 PM.

It is
    The load we are going through now is bad, and you shouldn't worry about the DNS, it's the same for all of us. Alex will have new ones soon, and you will see errors go down again. Most errors are general, and are related to the quality of the buckets.

Don't panic, it's ok. : )
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

Xtreme Legend
    Thanks guys

Deadly, My router connects through a cable modem so it reports a single IP and I know nothing about the modem (ISP supplied) .....I have work to do learning this methinks

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast