Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey XS we got a Majestic 12 team !

Xtreme Enthusiast

Hey XS we got a Majestic 12 team !

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/

Pretty straight forward project that is much like DIMES or Red Library. Uses some to a lot of download BW, but not really any upload. From the past two days of running it on a windows system and now a linux system it hasnt affected my internet at all. You can read more about the project on the above link. It doesnt use processor power in the slightest and about 20 megs ram.
    Last edited by UCmajewski; 05-17-2006 at 08:33 PM.

UMMM I think I joined :P

Once I get this figured out ill run it on the other pc's..
    As of now Im giving it a whirl over here first :P
    Last edited by [cTx]Philosophy; 05-10-2006 at 01:22 AM.
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme Cruncher
    I joined but for some reason it keeps closing after i leave it run for a few minutes any ideas why??

P.S. we're now 100th in DCVault stats

Ker-Pow !
    How on earth do I join the team ?

go to teams thingie find xs
    it sais put email and pw in
    then join
    then go free dc and put ur # in next to ur name
    Im already #2

just joined like about 6 hrs ago
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thewildblue
    How on earth do I join the team ?
    I think you have to register first with them ....... I think this can be done with the windows client install click register. When you want to add a machine u dont register again just update settings in option. Then find XS and then click join this team. This is an unbelievable ammount of pain in suffering to make this work in linux. Its set up running and it still hasnt done anything on the stats.

Xtreme Cruncher
    How does it run alongside of DIMES???? any possibility of VM'ing it ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    I joined but for some reason it keeps closing after i leave it run for a few minutes any ideas why??

P.S. we're now 100th in DCVault stats
    its doing it to me on Linux as well. I think im giving up on the linux install for this machine. I do everything the readme tells me and still doesnt work.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The only thing that I run directly on linux DC-wise is Rosetta. I couldn't get DIMES running in Linux, no matter what I tried, so I just settled for VMs.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Ker-Pow !
    I have registered will try the teams now.

I dont think there is any need for VMs I think 1 client per connection.....its thirsty by the looks of things.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah a quick read around their website they say that 1 client is enough for anything upto a 4mb pipe. So simple maths should work out how many clients you need, Haltech would need about 8 .

It's taking a bit of a hit on my DIMES though unfortunately so i'm still considering whether to run it full time.

P.S. I just noticed they have a nice deatiled manual on optimum setup that i have only just found, anyone new too the project may find it helps. http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects...12node/manual/

Ker-Pow !
    Sorted on the team now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its not all that bad I guess wish I could get a few more machines on it, but this linux setup is hampering that. Still I think it would be nice to make a good showing in it just for arguments sake. I just set up a team to strengthen our strongest column MISC in the DC vault status.

Theres another DIMES like misc project called Moneybee wish has kinda confused me. Might see how that one goes as well. In actuality id like to resurrect this seventeen or bust team in the mathematics or look for other mathematics projects we can make a dent in.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've wanted too try seventeen or bust for a while now as i like the big points but i didn't fancy being the only one in the team. I tried moneybee too but I got confused, i didn't even know if they had a project after readfing their website

BTW Update on DIMES and MAJ-12?

Majestic-12 must have a lower priority of Bandwidth than dimes as my downlaod for Maj-12 without DIMES running was 1900kb/s and with DIMES running 480kb/s however it does take a few 100 points from DIMES but it still runs nicely alongside.

beefin' it up!
    onboard with MJ12

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've wanted too try seventeen or bust for a while now as i like the big points but i didn't fancy being the only one in the team. .
    You arent the only one now .... we got a few more people. Mathematics is another sore area hopefully we can get a full fledge project in there as well.

beefin' it up!
    i have pie! a very small yellow slice! yum...

Ker-Pow !
    Seems mine didnt go through fine so I will try again later when I get some time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    i have pie! a very small yellow slice! yum...
    Everyone can have pie ... yeah!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm abroad right now (sunny Milton Keynes, UK) for 2 weeks, but when I get back to Rome I'll join in. How much bandwidth does this project use daily?

Xtreme Member
    joined!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well done for joining people it hasn't taken us long to become one of the bigger producers in the dailies with only 4 members .

gpcola: Depending on what you pipe is as much or as little as you want. I found It uses anything free that isn't being used for internet, downloading, DIMES etc.

UCmajewski: If you want a quick XS DCvault boost you could make a SETI(boinc) team for a few days as getting into the top 1000 teams appears to get you around 9,000 Physical science points at DCvault as there are so many teams already participating in it.

P.S. Have set up an "Xtreme Systems" SETI team if anyone wants too help me out. Also i don't know how to get it recognized by DCVault.

Last edited by [XC]melymel; 05-11-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well done for joining people it hasn't taken us long to become one of the bigger producers in the dailies with only 4 members .

gpcola: Depending on what you pipe is as much or as little as you want. I found It uses anything free that isn't being used for internet, downloading, DIMES etc.

UCmajewski: If you want a quick XS DCvault boost you could make a SETI(boinc) team for a few days as getting into the top 1000 teams appears to get you around 9,000 Physical science points at DCvault as there are so many teams already participating in it.

P.S. Have set up an "Xtreme Systems" SETI team if anyone wants too help me out. Also i don't know how to get it recognized by DCVault.

I refuse to run SETI myself as I think it is pointless.... although if it helps it helps. A mathematics team might help us out more than another physical science. Seventeen or Bust team needs a little boost with only two active members. Not too hard to move up in it as well.

True the scoring looks that way all I know is that we are not number 94 either. Ideally id like to get a strong group of XS crunchers like 10 people that are around often and go project to project with 25 - 30 comps run each project for however it takes to get top 100. We'd blaze through that DC vault standing with enough power to challenege anyone.

beefin' it up!
    hum... was using a lot of CPU power (50%+) and a lot of ram (100+ megs). anyone else have the same issues?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    hum... was using a lot of CPU power (50%+) and a lot of ram (100+ megs). anyone else have the same issues?
    Majestic 12 ......... very odd. Mine uses no real CPU power and 28 megs ram. Rosetta on DC AMD for me uses a tremendous ammount of memory presently 300 megs almost.

On second thought we need to look at the list of physical science teams and determine which one we want to attack next. Seems a lot more teams slack in mathematics as well. More competitiveness in physical science which before QMC we werent at all. Since that project is going extraordinarily well we can look ahead. Tomorrow ill shift resources to QMC and expanding Rosetta as well. Im trying to calculate what machines I can bring to the table for a #1 daily.
    Last edited by UCmajewski; 05-11-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast