Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide: Yonah + Aopen i975Xa-YDG

silver wall jumper X

Guide: Yonah + Aopen i975Xa-YDG

Work in progress -will add more later

Yonah on the Aopen i975Xa-YDG

After a painfully slow start Yonah / MODT has finally made it - and actually starting to be fun. This below hopefully should make the transition a bit easier

Helpful things to to get started on the AOpen i975Xa-YDG :

VMods:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=95411
    Vcore + VDIMM mods are a must for serious overclocking, VCCA mod still needs to be investigated more... Tcore mod might not be necessary with latest bios 1.03C

Files:

Temp monitoring:

For internal CPU temp diodes:

For Motherboard CPU temp diode:
    MBM5 ( use eg. MSI 865 PE Neo2-P motherboard sensors - great find by KIWI ! )
    http://users.pandora.be/lsdsmurf/dar...bm/MBM5370.EXE

For Motherboard CPU temp diode:

Speed Step / change multis:

Yonah Datasheet:

The Manual:

BIOS files:

Careful - difficult / not possible to revert back to earlier BIOS using WINFLASH proggy - you might have to go DOS flash. Consensus seems to be that R1.03C is the best bios so far ( not sure about R1.04 yet )

V1.03 - latest offical bios
    http://download.aopen.com.tw/Downloa...ction=1&DL=yes

V1.03B - Merom support / Speedstep ON
    http://oc-x.de/DOWN/ica13b1.zip

V1.03C - allows to enter bios with subzero temps / Speedstep OFF / NO MEROM SUPPORT!
    http://oc-x.de/DOWN/ica13c.rar

V1.04 - no Merom support ( thanks easypanic! )

http://www.ocfantasy.com/ftp/Wica14.zip
    Clockgens:

AOpen Coo
    http://www.aopen.com

Clockgen from Franck Delattre
    http://www.cpuid.com
    Getting past FSB wall:

The are several things that influence where your FSB wall is:
    Heat
    Vcore (+VCCA)
    Core

While on air the FSB wall can be caused by 2 things - either a really bad CPU or Heat + Vcore limitations. A good CPU should do around 250 FSB on air ( regardless of multi!), and should go further once Vcore is raised and /or better cooling methods are used. Weird thing is that the FSB can be the same with lower multis - yet once you get colder and raise the Vcore you can get a much higher FSB - until you hit the actual FSB wall of your silicone/CPU. Once that wall is reached even more cooling will not help.

One thing that helped me also greatly to get further on FSB limitation is rasing the FSB slowly. I only use the remote control / Aopen Coo program to raise the FSB. The single mhz steps appears to help not to crash.

Also I noticed that having a certain load helps prevent premature lockups. Once you hit a particular FSB wall - running at that particular max for several minutes can help to get again an extra mhz. It can be a slow process - but this can give you extra 1-6 mhz

The motherboards themselves have no input / very little input on the FSB wall. The same CPUs performed within 1FSB for me on different Aopen i975Xa-YDG boards.

NEW info - Steven has found that during VCORE swings ( droop ) whenever the vocre is on the low end - FSB will lock up much earlier and it is helpful to make sure to rasie FSB whenever the Vcore is at the high end!

With some Yonahs I have found that actually running lower Vcore ( in my case around 1.57V) was helping to get the FSB higher as opposed to running the max 1.62V

Known bugs:

- Can't enter Bios with subzero temps
    - Using Molex plug prevents board from booting
    - Memset can crash when changing CAS latency
    - Clockgen randomly bugs out
    - Vcore with current vmod has a max of ~ 1.64V
    - Coldbug when CPU is colder than ~ -50C coretemps ( not Evap temps ) This bug prevents you from loading into Windows. For this we might still need the Tcore mod - needs to be checked. This "bug" should only be protection feature of a Windows driver
    - Switching between different CPUs on the board without clearing BIOS can cause core temperatures to raise significantly ( +15C air )
    - PCI Video cards ( Matrox Millenium maybe others ) and AOpen Coo do NOT get along - prolly becuase of video overlay - causes one core to be fully loaded
    - I can not set the bios with my max stable FSB - has to be lower by almost 20MHZ FSB
    - ECC memory is always enabled by default in BIOS (might have no impact)

* can't update to older bios from 1.03B ( KIWI )
    * board has NO Sata raid, only ata ( KIWI )
    * Crossfire only works flawless using ATI driver version 6.4 ( according to Tyrou )
    * Crossfire works with ATI driver 6.3 when Write Combining is disabled ( CENTRAL )

Protecting the core:

I hate to admit - but I already managed to kill 2 Yonahs by not following what I constantly preach to my buddies - PROTECT THE CORE!!! One broke ( thank god a free sample ) by simply dropping it on the floor - the other ( of course my golden step 8 CPU I paid mightily for...) by installing a EVAP on one side too tight crushing part of the core.

There are several ways to do so - the easiest using several layers of electrical tape to form a shim (prolly around 4-5 layers depending on the height of tape )
    Another easy way is to use the IHS of a socket 478 Intel P3 / P4

The Yonahs appear to be even more fragile to me than Dothan - but that could only be my personal experience..

Voltages:

VCore: Would like to get input here from more users before I tell everyone to run 1.62V 24/7 lol

VCCA: Stock: 1.5V Kyosen runs it as high as 2.5V need to investigate VCCA voltages myself

VDIMM: Fatty D9: 2.3V
    On my D9s I run 2.3V max - since we are stuck will a high FSB/MEM ratio for good good ol' fatty D9s there is no need to go wild on the VDIMM - my set could take the clocks easily with what the BIOS allowed it to run... - would love to get some input from user of different types of ram

PCI-E: I keep AUTO
    I have seen no improvement by raising this voltage for FSB / Clocks. Differnt GPUs might benefit from raising this voltage.

NB voltage: I keep AUTO
    I have seen no improvement by raising this voltage for FSB / Clocks.

OS TWEAKS for benchmarking:

I will have to reserve this space for Tweakmeister Gautam's input - or any other Tweakmeisters. But from my experience there might be very few...but a useMPtimer string and hotfix might be helpful for certain things

Other information and thoughts:

-Do not challenge Tyrou into a benchmarking competition

-T2700 should come out soon, which should bring the Yonah benchmarking and overclocking to a whole new level

-Intel CAN touch this!

-Upcoming Merom CPUs are working flawless with Bios R1.03B on this board

- make sure to set the right CAS latency in BIOS

-BIOS R1.03 should be best for superpi because it has SPeeedstep turned off ( not sure about R1.03C ???)

- we desperately need a BIOS that has all BIOS options unlocked!!!

- the AOpen board only has 2 power phases - there is some minor droop - but nothing too bad!

- WHen setting BIOS clocks above ~ 258FSB the bios will show you incorrect CPU clocks during bootup - the actual clocks will be as set in bios

Running under cold

- Bios R1.03 , R1.03B will not allow you to enter Bios once you reach below 0*C CPU temps ( read from the motherboard probe ). No biggie if you set everything proper in positive temps. Everything else will run perfectly fine

- Bios R1.03C is supposed to allow you to enter the BIOS with neg. Temps

- If CPU core temps ( read by CPU internal probes ) are below ~ -40*C - Windows will crash at loadup - I suspect this is a driver that is supposed to protect the core. I am not sure if Bios R1.03C will help here - but I doubt it. I have seen this -40C with several different Intel type CPUs - in case of the Yonah at least we can boot...

- I was able to run ~ -160*C core temps - but I had to SLOWLY lower temps. Actually the system booted even @ -180*C but appeared to get VERY buggy and unstable - @ -190C it crashed

- Core Temp program will only read up to ~ +5*C - this is becuase of how Intel calculates core temps and not because of proggy.

- HWiNFO32 can read negatives CPU temps from the motherboard Winbond W83783S probe - but once the negative temps are hit the reading will go downards from 255C ( like with AMD ...255*C = -0.X *C)
    This probe becomes very inaccurate ~ - 30C and stops / gets stuck soon thereafter

- a trick I used with my single stage to get into bios was to turn off system while the single stage keeps running for a couple of minutes to let the board ( Winbond CPU temp sensor) to cool below - 45*C - and with the cold temps you can go into bios.

JUMPER settings:

Can't find the manual ATM - input would be helpful

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1709

Running Merom:

-Make sure to run BIOS R1.03B

-Merom needs less Vcore than Yonah ( ~ 1.3V-1.4V)

-Merom does run hotter

-Coretemp proggy will not show correct temps ( need to subtract 100C minus the shown temp )
    Last edited by mike; 06-07-2006 at 09:36 AM.

XIP
    Nice guide and info

Xtreme Member
    Great guide man, thanks for the hard work you put into it

Xtreme Addict
    Good stuff Mike.

silver wall jumper X
    Thanks - still work in progress - would love to put together also a basic OC database - especially with AIR clocks and FSB increase due to better cooling.

Also more bugs - the above were onlt from my own findings and I am sure there might be some more.

ANYTHING I forgot ?
    Last edited by mike; 05-08-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just in time b4 I get me Aopen mobo ! thnx !

Xtreme Addict
    wow mike, thx a lot for the info, the electrical tape and the IHS of p4/3 are great idea
    Asus P5-E X38 Intel QX9650 INOO3D 9800 Gx2 4x Super Talent's T800UX2GC4
    Creative X-Fi Raid 0 Raptors 36Gb data 1Tb Seasonic M12 700w
    Dell 2407WFP Lian-Li Pc-65 mod Custom Built Phase Change Unit |Logitech G25|

RIG#2: DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R|Q9550| INOO3D 9800GTX|
    2xCellshok 1000| PC Power and cooling 750w Thermaltake v1
    Wife: DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R|Q930|BFG 8800GTS 512MB|
    Samsung ddrII 667| PC Power and cooling 610eps12v Thermaltake v1

Htpc:Dfi Sli-Dr Venus|3700+|2x1gb Team Group ddr500|Thermaltake Mozart TX

xtreme energy
    This is what I can add:
    * 1.03B SPeeedstep is ON, worse than 1.03 bios, lost 1-2fsb oc
    * 1.03C SPeeedstep is OFF, best bios so far, also for cold
    * can't update to older bios from 1.03B
    * board has NO Sata raid, only ata
    * core seems to be pretty strong, no problems mounting evap and dice container, maybe that is because I am using pads and more ceramique as usual
    * Tip by Hipro5:
    As for the "cold boot start" just place the Jumper that Waus-mod had posted a question about, in the middle (pins 2 an 3).........This jumper will help the cold boot problem coz when you firsty power up the AOpen, it feeds the CPU with only 1.00Volt and during post it feeds it with the VCore you have chosen via Bios........By placing the jumpers at 2,3 pins, when power up mobo, feeds the CPU with 1.4Volts and afterwords with the VCore you have selected via Bios.......
    He meant probably pins 3-4 since 1-2 is first row, 3-4 middle 2nd row and 5-6 3rd row

Last edited by kiwi; 05-09-2006 at 01:38 AM.

Slovenian OC Master
    Very nice indeed, I got a little late my board, when all mods and clockgens were long available and when I got my board I read countless times that 80+ pages long topic to find all those usefull info. Now we have to collect everything in one topic.
    OC-Lab.si!!

BIOS R1.03c has Speedstep disabled, Tras Bug fixed.

Crossfire works with Cat 6.3 but i have to disable Write Combining.
    central

Xtreme X.I.P.
    very nice, good job mike.
    btw: 6.3 also ok for 19cf
    103c is the best bios
    some ecc ram and some 1G*2 ram have some problems working on the mobo
    Uni Hardware:
    http://www.unihw.com

Team China

Xtreme Member
    Excelent guide , really looking good.
    Lot´s of actual important info.
    Thanks for the sharing .
    To bad the aopen boards aren´t available to everybody

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    * board has NO Sata raid, only ata
    I thought that problem was fixed awhile back?

Xtreme Member
    Hmm ... nice guide for those you wanna use i975X with Yonah ! =D.

Good job

Xtreme Member
    good guide...

He meant probably pins 3-4 since 1-2 is first row, 3-4 middle 2nd row and 5-6 3rd row
    Its the middle jumpers 3-4 yeah, I tried this and it does exactly as hipro says (of course)
    Conroe : Yonah : Dothan : Prescott : Dual Prestonia

xtreme energy
    MBM5 also shows negative temps, just choose any MB with similar sensor to W83627EHF. For example, W83627THF-A works and I am getting like -25C @1.5V or -17C 1.63V under vapo LS full load. Idle temps are -31C but voltages do not show

Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy
    I thought that problem was fixed awhile back?
    No way, no sata raid options in bios, no options during post and no drivers. There is no sata raid. I've already bought pci promise raid card
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yonahvapo.JPG 
Views:	7986 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	46977  
    Last edited by kiwi; 05-09-2006 at 06:42 AM.

Hi

I've juste started playing with this mobo too, and there's something I don't understand !

I'm using the board with the 1.03 official bios for the moment, a huge air-cooling for the CPU and for the 975x, and the cpu is a small T2300 (1.66 dual core).

For the moment, I manage to overclock my 1.66 to 2.16 GHz really easily, with no voltage increase or a really little one... but when I try to go beyond 216 or 217 MHz FSB... nothing ! When I set 218 MHz (or more) from the BIOS, it takes a little more time and boot to 200, when I try with Franck's ClockGen, it's an instant Freeze...

I'm ok that my little 1.66 Yonah will not break the 3 GHz barrier so easily (I'd love ;o), but why that so brutal "stop" in my progression? FSB216 is ok (some benchmarks tested)... FSB218 not even a begining of a boot !

Thx a lot,

Thomas

PS : hey, ! it was my 1st post here !?!? I read this forum so often so I forgot I never post before... hello world

xtreme energy
    Sorry, Thomas, cpu has fsb wall, not much that you can do about it on air. Extreme cooling should help to get at least 10fsb, vcca mod might help but it depends

I may insist with 1.03c bios and vcca mod, I can't imagine to stop so quick ! (sorry for my poor english).

At 216 MHz FSB, with less than 1.3v set in the BIOS, I can run a 32Mbits SuperPI and can't even post at 218 FSB? Strange, no?

See you,

Thomas

Xtreme Addict
    Excellent, glad to see that things are looking up for this platform, was worried but the initial problems encountered but this guide has provided a great insight into how far you guys have come along.

Roll on Conroe

John

Well, with 1.03c Bios, nothing better I tried to raise up to the 1.5v max standard vcore (no vmod for the moment), but it did not help

What's VTT in the BIOS? Is there a way to adjust VCCA?

See you,

Thomas

What's your temperatures with high speeds?

With my poor 1.66@2.16 (hope it won't stop here), Vcc set to 1.3v in the BIOS and a good aircooling (Tuniq Tower 120), here are my readings in Core Temp.

Idle : Core 1 = 22°C, Core 2 = 20°C
    Load (2x SuperPI in the same time) : Core 1 = around 30° , Core 2 = around 28° (seams really low!)

My 2x SuperPI 32MB (CPU load 100%) are still in progress, I'll tell you when they'll be finished.

++

Thomas

Xtreme Addict
    mike, can you give a pic of the cpu with the electrical tape please?
    i want to try it but i dont want to break the core.
    thx
    Asus P5-E X38 Intel QX9650 INOO3D 9800 Gx2 4x Super Talent's T800UX2GC4
    Creative X-Fi Raid 0 Raptors 36Gb data 1Tb Seasonic M12 700w
    Dell 2407WFP Lian-Li Pc-65 mod Custom Built Phase Change Unit |Logitech G25|

RIG#2: DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R|Q9550| INOO3D 9800GTX|
    2xCellshok 1000| PC Power and cooling 750w Thermaltake v1
    Wife: DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R|Q930|BFG 8800GTS 512MB|
    Samsung ddrII 667| PC Power and cooling 610eps12v Thermaltake v1

Htpc:Dfi Sli-Dr Venus|3700+|2x1gb Team Group ddr500|Thermaltake Mozart TX

silver wall jumper X
    MBM5 also shows negative temps, just choose any MB with similar sensor to W83627EHF. For example, W83627THF-A works and I am getting like -25C @1.5V or -17C 1.63V under vapo LS full load. Idle temps are -31C but voltages do not show

Awesome! MUCH better than the pay for HWiNFO , W83627THF-A sensor reading is about ~1C cooler - nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cupra
    mike, can you give a pic of the cpu with the electrical tape please?
    i want to try it but i dont want to break the core.
    thx
    Will upp this a bit later today!
    Last edited by mike; 05-09-2006 at 08:12 AM.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    great guide... tempting me to grab a Yonah combo even though I'd promised myself that I'd wait for Conroe. Funny thing is that even if people are cuffed with a low fsb wall, likw 200mhz, even 2200mHz Yonah PWNZ 2.9gHz X2...

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast