Thread: can you install pc fans on a ps2?

Xtreme Addict

can you install pc fans on a ps2?

Th enoise of my ps2's fan has finally sent me crazy and it has to stop. I opened it up today and cut out the plastic grill on the back, but that didn't help, so it looks like I'll have to change the fan. Is there a way to get a 70 or 80mm fan running off the ps2's fan wires? I'll remove the noisy stock fan and mount the fan on the outside of the ps2 exhaust so size isn't an issue, but powering it obviously is the question. Can I just attach a normal 80mm pc fans wires to the current fans wires?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would of thought you would of needed to know how many amps the PS2 fan and PC fan drains. If the PC fan drains a lot more amps than the PS2 fan, then you may not be able to do it.

Be very afraid...
    or you could do what i did. i hooked up a fan by external power that plugs into the wall, i used a transformer to cutdown the power first of course. however you can hook up a small fan directly to the original power, but you may need to do some soldering if it isn't getting enough power.
    My rig;
    -amd athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.7 ghz from 2 ghz
    -1024mb of pc 3200 @ 445mhz 2-2-2-0 in dual channel
    -dfi lanparty ut nf4-d
    -nvidia 7800 gt @ 460 mhz core and 1.2 ghz mem
    -two 7200 hdd's with pagefile spread over both @ total of 2048mb

Banned
    Get a silent fan and and an external power supply.
    Like the ones they sell at Xoxide.com

Xtreme Member
    Or sell the thing on Ebay and pick up the PS2 Slim. SVC.com sells a lot of different sized fans, you might find one there to replace with the stock size.
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    Dont mind R.S kids, he's just bitter because Dell dont make their PCs in pink.