Thread: extreme P1 system OC

extreme P1 system OC

***WARNING*** this is a really long and somewhat pointless post. if you dont wanna read it, i dont blame ya. ***WARNING***

The adventure started with this board when i was tryin to watch a movie, and it was all §§§§ty. i thought "damn, i need to oc this beast! 200 mhz aint cuttin it."
    i tried bumpin the FSB, but it would hang or crash every time it went idle for more than 2 seconds. after dickin around, i found out that my network card was bein a little whore. replace that, and i got the 200 to 291. (83.3 mhz fsb and a multi of 3.5)
    i try to get the 4.0, 4.5, and 5x multis to work, but no go. so now im running at close to 300 mhz and 3.54 V core, at 41ºC full load over night with the closet door closed (my comp is in my closet, long story)
    i was happy, till i started playin diablo 2 again. im thinkin, "im happy with 15-20 fps, but i want more speed, and folding is takin too long!"
    so i started dickin around a little again tonight. i decide to look up info on my PLL, and see if it will hit 100 FSB with a little modding.
    finding out that it only hits 83.3 mhz cpu bus, i decide to take an extreme step, and bypass the damn thing for the CPU clock all together.
    First, i find the PLL, or clock generator of my board.
    i find that it is a "9169cj-27" so i search for a datasheet on it.
    I found that it was made by a company called "ICS", so i continue to search on their site.
    i found that the "J" wasn't on any of thew results, so i assumed that was randomly tossed in there.
    so when i found the datasheet, i look for the pin that outputs to the CPU for it's reference clock.
    pin 5 is CPU output, cut this and inject signal here.
    the highest freq that the 9169cj-27 is able to generate is 83.3 mhz.
    if a signal of about 100 mhz is injected here, i would be able to
    reach speeds of around 350 mhz. 110 mhz would achieve 385 mhz
    (assuming that the multiplier remains at 3.5x) so to reach 400 mhz,
    i would need to inject a signal of approximately 115 mhz. this will be
    accomplished by using the most basic signal generator i can
    (as i dont feel like spending 2 months buildin a damn signal generator!)
    so right now im searching for a schematic on this. any help from you guys would be great.
    i would like to be able to vary the output signal, but i might not
    get that complicated yet. i'm gonna wait to hack this board to hell
    till i get my CPU and RAM, so i'll have a system to use when i totally
    murder this board.

im havin fun in this half buzzin state, and makin ALOT of progress in 1/2 hour (- typin all of this)

basically, tryin to see how far this little P1 200 MMX will go, and how hot i can get it i'll be happy to hit 400, even happier at 500.

wish me luck

PS, the board is a supermicro P5MMA98, just in case you wanted to look at it on the net.
    pcchips crap board with a NW 2.6, xp120 w/delta gfb1212vhw, fsp550-60 plg, 2x wd sata 250gig, and nothing else worth mentioning. im poor, in school for precision machining.

Xtreme Member
    good lord, what a pointless but commendable act! i'd suggest posting a shorter and clearer version of this in the vmod section.

Xtreme Addict
    four4875, WELCOME TO XTREME!!!

sounds like an interesting mod, but can your chip even hit those kinds of speeds? what kind of cooling are you using? have you looked into lapping the CPU? i forget what those P200s look like.

the chip runs fine at .1V above stock at a 50% OC. and at 3.5Vcore i havnt been able to get it above 41ºC load. the hs is un-lapped, like the CPU, and about half inch tall cheap aluminum.

im mainly doin this for the experience, andit really isn't a Vmod, it's more like making the FSB for the cpu just go higher.
    pcchips crap board with a NW 2.6, xp120 w/delta gfb1212vhw, fsp550-60 plg, 2x wd sata 250gig, and nothing else worth mentioning. im poor, in school for precision machining.

BTW, i just ordered the CPU and some cheap ram for my a7n8x. cant wait to get that up and running. i have a total os 30$ into the current system, excluding the case

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, i've read about doing a PLL mod to more current motherboards. i believe the goal was to run the PCI devices in spec while the FSB is way out of spec.

good luck

anyone know where i can find the schematics tho?

four4875,

why don't extreme cool it ???
    get some ice or dry ice, put it into a flat bottom aluminium can, insulate the side of the can using some cloth and place it on top of the P1 processor !!!!

see picture for detail !!!

caus it doenst need that much cooling lol

c[_]
    slap an slk800 on it, lol

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

XS Local
    Originally posted by STEvil
    slap an slk800 on it, lol

naw slk-900 w/ the 119cfm vantec

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

he hs it has now is suffecient! lol

c[_]
    no its not.. my setup hasnt even touched 40 yet.. lol 8-)

More cooling! More OC! 8-)

LN2 it !!!

X. I. P.
    Nah, liquid He! Quantum effects and superconducting will occur, he can power it up, apply the liquid He then cut power and it'll still run
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

can he touch 1ghz if he use LN2 + 5v vcore ????

btw, is the meaning of superconducting ?

X. I. P.
    Superconducting begins at different temperatures for different materials - but - once it starts the resistance of the material becomes zero, no resistance to current flow. With no resistance once you give a circuit some current (volts) that current will continue to flow through a superconductor even after the power source is removed.

Just got to get it cold *enough* heh!
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

c[_]
    How fast does it crunch seti/folding at ln2 speeds? lol 8-)

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by sjohnson
    Superconducting begins at different temperatures for different materials - but - once it starts the resistance of the material becomes zero, no resistance to current flow. With no resistance once you give a circuit some current (volts) that current will continue to flow through a superconductor even after the power source is removed.

Just got to get it cold *enough* heh!
    Also, you've got to keep it "cold enough" .

Good luck on your project. You might want to search www.digikey.com for el-cheapo clock generator ICs.... there must be something cheap that can generate a 100MHz signal. I read a claim by someone that they got a P200MMX to 500MHz for a few minutes by spraying 6 cans of compressed air onto it in a row... then the whole system died permanently. Not sure if I believe it or not though .
    AXP1700+ JIUHB 0302 @ 2400MHz - TEC-Watercooled in The Skyscraper
    ABIT NF7-S , Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro, 1.5GB XMS3200C2

XS IRC channel: irc.quakenet.net #xtremesystems
    www.ocfaq.com

i ordered the parts for the clock generator last night. cant wait til lthey get here! lol