Thread: Best air cooling heatsink

Xtreme Recruit

Best air cooling heatsink

On a dfi ultra d which of these or suggest others
    Thermaltake big typhoon
    Thermalright xp120
    Thermaltake beetle(heard good things)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Big Typhoon hands down. Other options are the Tuniq Tower and the Skythe Ninja.
    The little air system that could.

Steak for Breakfast
    I believe there's a new heatsink that pwns them, argh can't remember it off my head, it's some not-so-famous company in Austria.

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla
    I believe there's a new heatsink that pwns them, argh can't remember it off my head, it's some not-so-famous company in Austria.
    Noctua
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Addict
    Tuniq Tower 120 with active high/medium speed fan - http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=419

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Member
    Tuniq is the best air cooler on the marked imo, after tuniq then schyte and noctua, zamlan etc.
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula rev1.03 440x10 - E8600 @ 4.4ghz by Sunbeam Tuniq Tower120
    4x1 Crucial Ballistix @ 1123mhz 5-5-5-15 2T
    XFX8800GTX @ 615/1500/2100mhz - XFI Xtreme Gamer
    4x1 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W
    CM Stacker830
    22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    MS IE 3.0 - Qck Steel - Sennheiser PC165

Xtreme CCIE
    Thought I'd just mention one thing though as you make your decision. That's that the BT also happens to cool down memory and caps, due to it's shoving the air down. If you plan to OC heavily and choose a tower model, I would suggest investing some money in cooling soultions for those. I know I personally saw an increase of over 10 degrees when I stopped using my Big Typhoon on my caps and that my memory OC had become *slightly* more limited as well. Not that I would have really minded... but it didn't OC well in the first place.

Serra

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra
    Thought I'd just mention one thing though as you make your decision. That's that the BT also happens to cool down memory and caps, due to it's shoving the air down. If you plan to OC heavily and choose a tower model, I would suggest investing some money in cooling soultions for those. I know I personally saw an increase of over 10 degrees when I stopped using my Big Typhoon on my caps and that my memory OC had become *slightly* more limited as well. Not that I would have really minded... but it didn't OC well in the first place.

Serra
    Serra took the words out of my mouth. I also would recommend the TT Big Typhoon or the Thermalright SI-120, because not only they both perform extremely well, the fan on them also cools down the components around the cpu. :thumbsup:
    Intel i7 3770K @4.7GHz (1.224v) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 8GB Samsung DDR3-1866 | EVGA GTX 780 Classified
    Corsair HX850 | X-Fi Titanium HD | ATCS 840 Black

Apogee XT | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | XSPC RX360

Xtreme Recruit
    yea i dont need to have the best of all i just need it to be high end, i like the thermalrights because you put whatever fan you like and it small and slight. Typhoon is big but can cool your everything around it. I dont really like those huge tower. Will these perform similar to a decent water cooling. I want to cut down load on my x2 with a/c on and very low room temp it idles at 34 but loads at 55 while priming both cores. I have increased the voltage from 1.36 to 1.39 but if i want to give more bolts like 1.45 dual priming will be around 60 so i need better cooling. Which would be better a xp 120 with 80 cfm fan or tt typhoon

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvigo
    yea i dont need to have the best of all i just need it to be high end, i like the thermalrights because you put whatever fan you like and it small and slight. Typhoon is big but can cool your everything around it. I dont really like those huge tower. Will these perform similar to a decent water cooling. I want to cut down load on my x2 with a/c on and very low room temp it idles at 34 but loads at 55 while priming both cores. I have increased the voltage from 1.36 to 1.39 but if i want to give more bolts like 1.45 dual priming will be around 60 so i need better cooling. Which would be better a xp 120 with 80 cfm fan or tt typhoon
    I can vouch for xp-90c

it's small, easy to install and VERY good.

priming my X2 in a hot, small, closed case @ 1.55 only reaches 46'C..

1.4v loads around 39
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One cooler you haven't mentioned which I think deserves consideration is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It's the cheapest one of the lot and cools almost as well as a Big Typhoon. Not really much to mod with it but it doesn't need modding. Very quiet also.
    The little air system that could.

Xtreme Guru
    Whatever cooler you choose, Big Typhoon, Noctua, Scythe Ninja, Tuniq, Zalman 9500, Arctic Cooling 64 Freezer Pro, XP90C they are all damn good, you wouldn't have to worry tempwise. It's hard to make any really fair review of all these coolers which is the best one since they perform different in different conditions and have different advantages/disadvantages, they have different noise lvl & price and some can be modded for better result than others etc.

I like my Big Typhoon for price/noise lvl/performance combo. Some ppl doesn't mind noise, some doesn't mind the price so much etc, but I do. I lapped it, used AS5 and remounted 5 times for best result. It's one of the more silent competitors (which should be included in a fair review, I mean rated 16dB Big Typhoon, my guess around 20dB, vs Tuniq with a delta fan 50dB or sth isn't a fair comparision and neither pricewise).

I have 8x case fans since Big Typhoon likes good airflow, and it performs amazingly well, SD3700+ @ 2.7GHz 1.65V gives 29 - 30C idle temp and 43 - 44C prime temp, stock speeds 26 - 27C idle and 36C prime. Couldn't be more happy, bought it for $50 back in august last year, today I could get it for $40, very good bang-for-the-buck cooler but Freezer Pro also looks good for it's price and Tuniq Tower is only slightly expensier than Typhoon. Ninja & Noctua, XP90c doesn't even come with a fan, making them expensive.

If I had to make a Top5 list of my fav coolers it would be: 1st: Big Typhoon, 2nd: Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, 3rd: Tuniq Tower, 4th: Noctua NH-U 12, 5th: Scythe Ninja. When taking into account price, noise lvl, performance and modability.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 05-03-2006 at 10:32 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Makubex_GB
    Serra took the words out of my mouth. I also would recommend the TT Big Typhoon or the Thermalright SI-120, because not only they both perform extremely well, the fan on them also cools down the components around the cpu. :thumbsup:
    actually, by blowing hot air onto the motherboard the components (PWM area, memory, chipset) heat up more because of it...

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke
    actually, by blowing hot air onto the motherboard the components (PWM area, memory, chipset) heat up more because of it...
    Blowing HOT air would cause them to heat up more, however the air that comes off of the heatsinks in question is often much cooler than the components themselves. As such, the air is able to effectively cool them down. When you consider that a processor can be held at a stable 30 degrees, and some of the outlying components may be 50 degrees, you will find a huge differential that makes it worth using this already warmed up air.

Serra

Xtreme Addict
    I like my tuniq tower. It improved load temps 5C comparing with SI-120.

It's a big BIG boy though. Check these out:

Xtreme Mentor
    That barilly fits. Looks like a good fit though, it looks like all the hot air is flushed out.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke
    LoL, I knew it was just a matter of time before someone posted this nonsense!

Like Serra said, if the was HOT air then it would be true, but the air coming out of the bottom of the heatsink will never be as hot as the components on the mobo.
    Intel i7 3770K @4.7GHz (1.224v) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 8GB Samsung DDR3-1866 | EVGA GTX 780 Classified
    Corsair HX850 | X-Fi Titanium HD | ATCS 840 Black

Apogee XT | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | XSPC RX360

Xtreme Member
    If you want some kind of water cooling performance that's not 100 dB, you'd have to go with the Tuniq Tower. The problem with those HSFs that direct airflow onto the cpu is that they're harder to install. As long you have good airflow in your case, you don't need a fan directed at the MB components.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As far as my research shows, the Tuniq seems to be the top dog now doing about 2C better than the Ninja which comes in second place.
    *CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
    *Asus Rampage III Formula | RAM: 36GB DDR3 (Tracer LED + Hyper X Savage)
    *Video Cards: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Makubex_GB
    LoL, I knew it was just a matter of time before someone posted this nonsense!

Like Serra said, if the was HOT air then it would be true, but the air coming out of the bottom of the heatsink will never be as hot as the components on the mobo.
    tsssss

how many hours did you test to verify the difference?
    I used ~100 HSF for a total test time well over 500 hours before stating what I stated.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=419

check PWM temps Scythe Shogun (tower) vs XP-120 with same fan:

note that MY TESTS are done in a LOW AIRFLOW case - if you have AMPLE caseflow (large 120mm fans blasting away) you'll have good temps no matter what CPU cooler

When it comes down to Scythe Ninja / Tuniq Tower / Big Typhoon / SI-120 here are my results - all tested with the same fan

Name -- CPU°C -- PWM°C

Ninja --------- 59 - 65
    Tower 120 ---- 57 - 58
    Big Typhoon --- 62 - 67
    SI-120 -------- 62 - 66

Ambient temp is ~22°C
    Case is Sonata II from Antec with 1x120mm@5v in the rear, and a PASSIVELY cooled PSU at the top, VGA card is low-end TNT2 passively cooled.
    Last edited by jmke; 05-05-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The thing to note is that the Ninja fan orientation can vary so when I had my dfi nf3 I had the fan blowing up thus my pwm was very cold as well. That tower looks great too.
    *CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
    *Asus Rampage III Formula | RAM: 36GB DDR3 (Tracer LED + Hyper X Savage)
    *Video Cards: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

Xtreme Addict
    ThermalTake Big Typhoon.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    1TB HDD + 2TB Ext + 1TB Ext
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

GamerTag: ugp
    GamerTag: SadisticPuppets

Xtreme Member
    XP90's are cheap and they work pretty good. Works well enough for me.(Til' summer) But the 92mm "Vantec Tornado" fan,I use to keep it cool enough kinda' annoy's others.(Maybe they'll help me finance a solution.) Currently 80f room 84f (29-30c)surfin'.(Idle sorta')@2.8ghz 280X10,1-1,Vid=1.325*110 (24/7) It hasen't loaded up past 42c that I can recall at these settin's. It's okay I guess for now anyway. OK a Quick 32m superpi so we know for sure. AC set for 80f. Side off the case 32m superpi. Seems to be stayin' @38c(100f) It's touched on 41c twice.(but allways backed back down to 38c during the load) Never stayed that high. So full load currently we can safely call it between 38-41c.(@80f) On my rig anyway. 90% of the time was 38c though. The cool off after load is alarmingly instant! Hehe good lil' sink for the $$$$. Plus an old Tornado offa' onea' my ol' nf2's work's good I'm pleased. LOL
    Edit: The Vantec Tornado pull's air off the memory-mosfets-heatsink,ect and blow's it into the room.(Seems to work backwards from other fans)
    Edit2: Because the fan is held in by spring clips it's easy to clean.
    Last edited by Clay; 05-06-2006 at 01:43 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Member
    Keep in mind for the BT about clearance with the side of your case. It can hamper performance by quite a bit. Here's my findings: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.p...ke_big_typhoon

Course, my stuff is in a Raidmax case that isn't exactly the widest thing around. Still, something to keep in mind
    Core i5 750 3.8GHz@1.3v under OCZ Vendetta 2
    MSI P55-GD65
    3x Kingston X25-V RAID0
    2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI
    G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600
    Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Heat: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=48663

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC Annihilus
    Keep in mind for the BT about clearance with the side of your case. It can hamper performance by quite a bit. Here's my findings: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.p...ke_big_typhoon

Course, my stuff is in a Raidmax case that isn't exactly the widest thing around. Still, something to keep in mind
    Interesting point. Most ATX cases would have around the same width as yours too, no?
    Use in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. Keep out of reach of n00bs. Overclock within 24 hours of opening.
    Do not read instructions before proceeding, do not use only as directed. May cause frustration, late nights and empty wallets.
    If symptoms persist please consult your hardware professional.
    -AgentVX-

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast