Thread: remove cover from PSU for better airflow. ideas?

Question remove cover from PSU for better airflow. ideas?

Okay, the loudest parts in my computer are the two 92mm fans on my OCZ PowerStream 520 PSU.

I thought I can remove the 92's and replace them with a 120mm. Then I thought removing the top cover would really help the heat dissiapte better. I'd have the PSU in a wooden case open at the top, and separated by wood from all other components.

aside from the risks of electrocution, warranty voiding (lol), and possible damage to computer... what other issues are there?

Would there be any radiation that ould be harmful to be near? Radiation that could affect the mobo and components?

appreciate any helpful ideas..
    Last edited by jonjan; 04-30-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Depending on PSU construction and airflow, it's not always better to remove the cover. For an example if the PSU has only one fan which take the hot air out from PSU, by removing the cover, it will take the air from the room and the heatspreaders will heat up.

thanks for the ideas...

I'm planning to use fans to cool the PSU heatsinks. I'm figuring that with the top cover off the PSU, the CFM of air needed to cool it will be less..
    --take time to stop and think. consciously choose and direct your life. be aware of what you've been taught by society/media and question it. Be a 'cause' and not an 'effect'. -- tinyurl.com/75vwg

XS_THE_MACHINE
    You could remove the grills, as they only abstruct the airflow. Might even help with the noise.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme X.I.P.
    There`s not enough free space to put 120 in there. Just replace original fans with same size but quieter ones.
    And open PSU only when it`s been laying for several hours with total power off - there`s very big risc for electric shock from circuitry

thank you..

After a good bit of thinking and reading, i'm going to leave the top cover off. The first exploration is to lay a 120mm on top of the heatsinks, blowing air downward, and see what the PSU temps are.

Removing the top cover, eliminates 2 sides and the top, which provides a lot of open air space. It might be able to be cooled with the slowest rpm 120mm there is.

i'll share some pics of it after i'm done, or share my experiences if it doesn't work. i'm planning the case layout now..
    --take time to stop and think. consciously choose and direct your life. be aware of what you've been taught by society/media and question it. Be a 'cause' and not an 'effect'. -- tinyurl.com/75vwg

Okay, I decided against this. ELECTROCUTION is a pretty big risk. All it takes is a slip or accident and i can really hurt or kill my body, that's not a very good risk.

Instead of going cover-less, i'm going to cut a hole in the top cover, and add a 120mm fan, and put the cover on.

Putting a fan on top with ventilation on the sides should work nicely.

Talking

great, much safer idea.

The new set-up would have the PSU right next to the hard drives. Is that a problem with elec. or mag. interference?

i'll post pics of the building process. i've got the first part finished now..http://helpusall.com/computer.html

Talking

okay, after some more thought... i realize i have almost no idea what parts of the PSU are dangerous, how exactly the EMI shielding works and where it's needed... So instead of making changes to a 520watt psu plugged into the grid... i ordered the Antec Phantom 500 fanless PSU

thanks all for the place to explore this idea all you might have actually saved me from a big unneccessary accident