Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid megacontainer & forced convection di-setup

Xtreme Addict -100C Club
    Quote Originally Posted by gloatlizard
    jort was probably mostly referrering to its powerful solvent proprieties
    yes, once there was some aceton spilled on a keyboard and it was broke, the buttons where sticky and solved a little.
    Back in the phase change world

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drcooling.cl
    The problem is the CO2 dissolves in the fluid. When that happens, cannot be pumped with a centrifugal method. The others problems can be solved, this no
    I have thought about this for a while now and your words makes sense. It seems that i will have to build a displacement pump myself. I have thought before about making bit special pump in order to avoid condensation and to get cold liquids separated far from the pump engine. Now for avoiding this cavitation thingie i have enough motivation to make this plan happen too..

Bad side is that dryice tests will be delayed a bit more but the system im thinking will be pretty funny looking so its gonna "pay off" the work (in sense of entertaining) i hope

The bottom line is that i gotta make this pump some day anyway because its been bugging my mind for a loong time.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Member
    Okay im slowly getting the parts gathered that i will use for the pump:

I need to make wheels for the strap draft that these two are connected with. Also few other parts too. Obiously this kind of pump shouldnt be used in long run because it needs lubrication but i think it will do fine for the short tests i need to do.

Those of you who can understand finnish can conclude the origin of the motor but anyway its 350w and rotates something like 1200rpm. However with different gear train of the strap draft wheels i can adjust the pump rotation speed to fit the needs of the pump.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Member
    I tried out my self made dual peltier waterblock and swiftech block for comparison. I found out that swiftech got really noticable benefit from big pressure and waterflow. It makes sense because water comes in from the centre and makes nice turbulence over the core which increases heat transferring. However i doubt anyone uses such waterpump in their setup that creates 4-7bar pressure

Naturally my own waterblock would have things to improve for die cooling as i originally meant it to be used with two 172w peltiers. First of all the base is good but its not perfect (i got sick from the lapping as i have better things to do). Second is that it still carries extra inside from the brazing. In some cases cleaning waterblock have reduced temps noticeably. From the construction view water should come in from the centre as it does in commercial waterblocks and the waterflow should be concentrated closer to core. I have used brutal approach by huge surface area and rather big hoses for the large heatloads. No spesific place to concentrate cooling -just the whole base (as it should be with peltiers).

The waterblocks were tested with 10c water in this kind of ghetto setup:
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/ilkkahy/sekalai...ch%20block.JPG
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/ilkkahy/sekalai...er%20block.JPG

I took results with full water-pipe pressure (4-7bar here.. not sure) and waterflow that somehow responds normal waterpump.

Swiftech: 36/40c
    Peltier block: 39/41c

So ill be using swiftech for the forced convection dryice setup when it is time. Im still pretty pleased with the results for my self made block as i know where its weaknesses are and on the other hand where it is strongest (with peltiers where whole bottom area needs cooling.. this is where the most efficient commercial waterblocks sucks a bit).
    Last edited by ilkkahy; 05-30-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12