Thread: Building My Own Case, Need Input

Xtreme Member

Exclamation Building My Own Case, Need Input

I've been scrapping old cases all my life and even with my reffited Compac Server case I don't get the look and feel I want. So I decide to build my own case out of wood. Before I started cutting I wanted to get the opinions of the community. I used GTKRadiant to make an accurate (down to the mm) representation of my case, minus the guts.

The motherboard will lay flat on a rack that has rails on either side so I can pull it out of the back with ease. The hard drive mount will be on rails but with 120mm fans and access from the front of the case.

Above is a side view.
    Below is a front view.

Below is the Back View

My only worry is that the PSU's cords wont be long enough to reach everything. I might have to move the PSU inbetween the 120mm fans or make extention lines.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 04-24-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Banned
    Can always add on to the psu lines...or to make it neater take the psu apart and add on to them directly in the box!!!

Steak for Breakfast
    You can always use extenders for your PSU, that's not a problem.
    But make sure your internal support structure is strong enough, I was making a cube wood case just a month ago, but aborted because the entire cash just crushed when I sat on it...

Xtreme Member
    I plan on using 1 inch thick oak wood.

Steak for Breakfast
    I used 1 inch plywood and it crushed, don't know about oak, but if you don't plan on sitting on it (I was just testing...), then it should be good.

Xtreme Member
    I've used metal cases before that have flattened just by putting a monitor on top of them. Oak hopefully will stand at least that much weight, not that i plan to us a monitor on top of this case.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, looks nice, is it going to be for a workstation? Its quite big.

Xtreme Member
    Well those oak boards are no longer an option. Sump pump burned out, whole basement flooded last night. Only 5 inches deep mind you, just enough to soak the boards in groundwater overnight. I guess I'll have to just buy the wood somewhere. Home Depot most likely.