Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Sapphire A9RD580 Bug/Issues/Fixed

Xtreme Enthusiast

Sapphire A9RD580 Bug/Issues/Fixed

Hello everyone , who owns a Sapphire A9RD580
    I create this topic to discuss about this mobo : bugs , how to fix , trick ect

I have this mobo for about 2 weeks , and got many issues with Bios
    As far this mobo overclock very good , but the Bios has to be improved and fixed
    And i tested with all Bios in Sapphire website ( 0403 , 0411 )

Ok , let's go

*1. PC will not turn on everytime you turn it off , including turn off your PSU or not. At this time clearing Cmos is your friend ( i did it too many times that cant remember in 2 weeks )

*2. With divider 200 , when you set Trwt-Twtr-Twr = 2-1-2 , it will auto change 3-1-2
    With divider 166 , when you set Trwt-Twtr-Twr = 2-1-2 , it will auto change 2-1-3

*3. Divider 200 : Tref will be : 200 3.9us
    Divider 166 : Tref will be : 166 3.9us
    And U cant change this Tref in Bios

*4. In User Config Mode , only these settings can be adjusted : Max Async , Read Preamble , DDR Drive Strength N/P
    The others cant be adjusted , they will not change or make PC not boot

That's all the issues of Timings setting

*5. Issues of LDT Freq.: cant set 5 when HTT is over 280 , you must set it 4 for HTT 280 --> 340 or more . Even when you pump up HT Link Volt , PCIe Volt or CFx3200 Volt ect

*6. One more issue is the Vcore :
    Better not adjust CPU Vid Control , just leave it at DF and adjust the CPU Volt Offset
    Or you must set CPU Volt Offset = 0.24v , then adjust CPU Vid Control

And for sweet Overclocking your CPU , i recommend these setting

First , leave the HTT bus at DF , set RD580 HT Drive Strength and RD580 HT Receiver Comp. = 31 , RD580 HT PLL Control = Fast
    And then turn off PC ( PSU too )
    Then turn PC on , start raising HTT ect

And even chipset RD580 is not too hot , but the passive heatsink of Sapphire seems too much hot , i cant touch the HS in 3 seconds ( about 80°C at full load without airflow )

Also there is no Software can monitor Temps , Volts ect. ATI System manager can only adjust HTT , no more. This is very annoying for end-user who hope this board can OC like hell

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe there are still some bugs that i have not faced them. So please feel free to report.

Best Regards.

ps : sry for my poor EN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update :
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog
    Ok, Speedfan does work if started with the /NOSMBSCAN option. At least I can now somehow check my CPU temp on this "great" overclocker mobo....
    Found out how to make Lavalys Everest not freeze the system: Create EVEREST.INI in the program folder. Content:

[Generic]

LowLevelSMBus=0
    Last edited by xs64; 04-21-2006 at 11:56 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Sounds like a half baked board, bios wise.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

This board is giving me some headaches too. Via google i found this link, which could be helpful. Couldn't test it myself...

http://www.cdrinfo.com/fw/Overclocki...Xpress3200.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by xs64
    *5. Issues of LDT Freq.: cant set 5 when HTT is over 280 , you must set it 4 for HTT 280 --> 340 or more . Even when you pump up HT Link Volt , PCIe Volt or CFx3200 Volt ect
    I don't think this is an issue. HTT 4x280 = 1120 should be sufficient. Everything above 600 should have no performance impact.
    3700 San Diego - Sapphire Pure A9RD580 - 1 GB RAM - Sapphire X1900 XT - Tagan Easycon 430 - Eizo S1910-K - Audigy 2 - Aplus Xblade
    Alphacool Nexxos - Xtreme II 2x120 - Innovatek Cool-Matic X1800

Found out how to make Lavalys Everest not freeze the system: Create EVEREST.INI in the program folder. Content:

[Generic]

LowLevelSMBus=0
    3700 San Diego - Sapphire Pure A9RD580 - 1 GB RAM - Sapphire X1900 XT - Tagan Easycon 430 - Eizo S1910-K - Audigy 2 - Aplus Xblade

Xtreme Member
    Thanks a lot for making this thread! Finally seeing some temps and voltages

I think the board reads the temps a bit low.. Or maby this is normal temps for stock 144 with Tuniq? Touching 32 after a while now..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stocktemp.PNG 
Views:	1584 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	46190  
    Last edited by Marlowe; 04-21-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Mb: Abit IX38QuadGT Cpu: Core2Duo E6850 Gfx: HD4870X2 Ram: CrucialBallistix 2x1GB Case: Gigabyte3DAurora Psu: Corsair620W

Marlowe, I think Temp1 is the CPU!

I got the following readings on running Prime95:

Temp2 went from 24 to 39 C
    Temp1 went from 34 to 42 C

this is running on an Arctic Freezer 64 on full speed (yes, no fan speed management, great achievement Sapphire!).

I think T2 maybe the bridge chip and T1 the CPU.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think this is an issue. HTT 4x280 = 1120 should be sufficient. Everything above 600 should have no performance impact.
    Maybe , but i used Asus A8R32-MVP too ( chipset RD580 ) , and it easily run with HTT 300 and LDT 5 with no more volt needed
    My DFI NF4 can run HTT 300 LDT 5 with LDT volt 1.4v

This Sapphire can not run LDT 5 even more volt

Quote Originally Posted by xs64
    Maybe , but i used Asus A8R32-MVP too ( chipset RD580 ) , and it easily run with HTT 300 and LDT 5 with no more volt needed
    My DFI NF4 can run HTT 300 LDT 5 with LDT volt 1.4v

This Sapphire can not run LDT 5 even more volt
    Maybe, but HTT 1500 or above is giving nothing to performance. it just generates more heat. stay around 1000 and be fine.

Oder anders gesagt: Balkenlänge oder Schwanzlänge ist uninteressant - ab einem bestimmten Punkt bringt mehr halt nicht mehr. HTT 1000 ist ausreichend für die zu transportierenden Daten.

Xtreme Member
    I really think Temp2 is supposed to be cpu, since it variates a bit like it typically does.. And also it has the same temps as it says in the bios.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stocktemp2.PNG 
Views:	1568 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	46192  
    Mb: Abit IX38QuadGT Cpu: Core2Duo E6850 Gfx: HD4870X2 Ram: CrucialBallistix 2x1GB Case: Gigabyte3DAurora Psu: Corsair620W

Xtreme Legend
    *6. One more issue is the Vcore :
    Better not adjust CPU Vid Control , just leave it at DF and adjust the CPU Volt Offset
    Or you must set CPU Volt Offset = 0.24v , then adjust CPU Vid Control
    Did you also try the latest A0411_A.bin (dated 19th Apr.) BIOS?
    It seems that the VID + Offset control is now working in this release. It will list unsupported (by the CPU) VID values (such as 1.425-1.55V in the case of my FX60) but as long as you select a VID supported by the CPU both VID and Offset controls appear to be working now.
    But then again it might be easier to just let VID to default and adjust voltage higher w/ the Offset setting which offers 0.60V above VID value (that should be enough?)

Xtreme Member
    The zip seems to be corrupt, can't extract.
    BIOS Apr 19th, 2006 2K060411A 408.3KB http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/114.zip

Can you link from somewhere?

Edit: Sorry it's ok!
    Last edited by Marlowe; 04-21-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe
    The zip seems to be corrupt, can't extract.
    BIOS Apr 19th, 2006 2K060411A 408.3KB http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/114.zip

Can you link from somewhere?
    Just downloaded from the link you provided and it extracts ok. Redownload perhaps?

There are still some issues with this release thou - update coming ASAP (should get rid of the boot up problems and give higher HTT X5 clock). Please be patient

Xtreme Member
    The board will not go directly to high HTTs, needs to go in steps of 20-30 MHz?

Doesn't like running my memory at 2,5-3-3-..?

Highest I've reached till now is 295 HTT. Not touched "HT Drive Strength" or "HT Receiver Comp" yet. Finally getting somewhere

Xtreme Member
    Guys please be patient. All of these issues have been tracked down to bios issues. Sapphire has been notified and is working on an update.

The board will be totally different with the newly updated bios. The ATI reference boards with reference bios do not suffer from these issues.

There is no need to overclock in increments when everything is working properly (including proper bios). You should be able to cold boot at 1400-1600 HT link no problem (variances based on CPU/board etc). Just FYI, every reference board that we have tried can cold boot and run anything error free at 1500 HT link with the right settings (HT PLL high speed mode and optimal drive settings).

Xtreme Member
    A new version of ATI System Manager will also follow with full support for the Manta reference board and any board based off of it (like the Sapphire board). It already exists as everyone has already seen from Chew* and Tony. It is undergoing a slight change and then full testing for release to the public.

We do not encourage the use of any 3rd party applications for motherboard monitoring as it cannot be guaranteed that they will work properly.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull
    We do not encourage the use of any 3rd party applications for motherboard monitoring as it cannot be guaranteed that they will work properly.
    I for one are thrilled that ATI is active and paying attention to what’s happening with the RD580 boards regardless of the manufacturer… but I think you guys have been very slow to respond to problems. Additionally… statements like
    ...are rather irrelevant when you are lucky that your $200.00+ board will even post, let alone worry ‘bout monitoring… With that said, when you see a screenie of ATI System Manager and you ask the poster for a link/copy of the app, you receive the response that it’s not for public release and “sorry ‘bout your luck”… So what alternatives are you suggesting?

Edit:
    There is no need to overclock in increments when everything is working properly (including proper bios). You should be able to cold boot at 1400-1600 HT link no problem (variances based on CPU/board etc). Just FYI, every reference board that we have tried can cold boot and run anything error free at 1500 HT link with the right settings (HT PLL high speed mode and optimal drive settings).
    Does this mean that top level board manufacturers are not qualified to code a bios for this chipset without ATI's guidance? No offense here (I know I'm gonna get clobbered on this) but, if you forget Sapphire, does DFI, Asus, and Abit really need training from ATI?
    Last edited by pcdoc1; 04-21-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    Asus P8P67-M Pro - Bios 413
    i7-2600K LO41C106
    Cooler Master V8 - Antec 180 Mini
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    Sissy OC - 4.6 @ 1.3175 24/7 | 18' Idle - 55' Load
    Windows 7 MS Is Getting Better...

Personal Site!

Xtreme Guru
    Maybe, but HTT 1500 or above is giving nothing to performance. it just generates more heat. stay around 1000 and be fine.

Oder anders gesagt: Balkenlänge oder Schwanzlänge ist uninteressant - ab einem bestimmten Punkt bringt mehr halt nicht mehr. HTT 1000 ist ausreichend für die zu transportierenden Daten.

can you PLEASE explain how that is true?
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Member
    You have to understand that ATI is working with other parties to get the issues solved. Once other parties are involved it generally takes more time to do things. These are Sapphire, ASUS, DFI, ECS, etc motherboards, NOT ATI motherboards.

The ATI System Manager that you are seeing screenshots of are beta versions being used by beta testers and haven't passed final qualifciation. This is why we are not allowing public distribution at this time. But we will. We are trying to keep one version that will support any ATI reference board and this adds complication. Qualification takes time and we want to release a fully working tool.

As for boards not posting and whatnot, ATI cannot control build quality and production testing of motherboards designed with our chipsets. I suggest that you contact your motherboard manufacturer or retail outlet if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdoc1
    I for one are thrilled that ATI is active and paying attention to what’s happening with the RD580 boards regardless of the manufacturer… but I think you guys have been very slow to respond to problems. Additionally… statements like ...are rather irrelevant when you’re lucky that your $200.00+ board will even post let alone worry ‘bout monitoring… With that said, when you see a screenie of ATI System Manager and you ask the poster for a link or a copy of the app, you receive the response that it’s not for public release and “sorry ‘bout your luck”… So what alternatives are you suggesting?

Xtreme Member
    Valid question...yes most Tier 1 and Tier 2 motherboard makers are skilled enough and do not require training. However they do need to program the chipset properly, especially for overclocking and to do so, they need programming instructions from the chipset vendor (in this case ATI)

Edit: Does this mean that top level board manufacturers are not qualified to code a bios for this chipset without ATI's guidance? No offense here (I know I'm gonna get clobbered on this) but, if you forget Sapphire, does DFI, Asus, and Abit really need training from ATI?[/QUOTE]

Xtreme Mentor
    Glad to see ATI reps are actively making sure that their produces are utilized correctly and to its full potential. The boards are even widely available yet, not in the US at least. So rushing is pointless for some of us. Besides, haven't we learned what rushed hardware/software is capable of doing to our wallets and patience? Just ask the many early DFI NF4 adopters. Although I must say, it would be a great idea to have a Built by ATI mobo and a new bios release every 1.5month or so. That way, when people (Joe sixpacks) buy ATI cards naturally they would think it is a good idea to pair it up with an ATI mobo and vice versa. Well, at least ATI can advertise it that way.

BTW, anyone seen that Nvidia rep around? Anyone? Anyone?
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Member
    Grayskull your avatar needs an upgrade.
    Sapphire Manta
    2 x 1Gig Mushkin Redline XP4000(3-3-2-6) 264Mhz
    Opty CCBBE 170 0610 @2.91Ghz Zalman 9700
    HIS X1900XTX IceQ3
    PC Power & Cooling 510ASL
    TrackIR 3 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    Valid question...yes most Tier 1 and Tier 2 motherboard makers are skilled enough and do not require training. However they do need to program the chipset properly, especially for overclocking and to do so, they need programming instructions from the chipset vendor (in this case ATI)

Edit: Does this mean that top level board manufacturers are not qualified to code a bios for this chipset without ATI's guidance? No offense here (I know I'm gonna get clobbered on this) but, if you forget Sapphire, does DFI, Asus, and Abit really need training from ATI?
    Three cheers, I appreciate your response... It's clear in my sig what product I'm testing/using and I'm very content with it... I didn't intend to highjack the thread and will regress from any further OT discussion… Certainly my opinions/conclusions are irrelevant; but I appreciate your response and are satisfied that the growing pains will be resolved…

Regards-
    i7-2600K LO41C106

Personal Site!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by situman
    ....BTW, anyone seen that Nvidia rep around? Anyone? Anyone?
    situman: yep, to my surprise he posted a few weeks ago suggesting that my OC problems were related to the “ingrown” toenail on my left foot; he stated that he was going to level 1 tech support to resolve the issue. To date I haven’t received any response, but I’m still confident that they will prescribe a med that will fix the problem…

Regards
    i7-2600K LO41C106

Personal Site!

Xtreme Member
    I'm in a debate wether to return this mobo now or wait 3-4 months for the finished bios and software. Sapphire needs to sharpen up.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guys please be patient. All of these issues have been tracked down to bios issues. Sapphire has been notified and is working on an update.

The board will be totally different with the newly updated bios. The ATI reference boards with reference bios do not suffer from these issues.

Thx for your responsibility
    I'm waiting day after day for the "superior Bios"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe
    he board will not go directly to high HTTs, needs to go in steps of 20-30 MHz?
    Did you set HT Drive strength = 31 and save Bios , turn off PC , then turn on and go directly to HTT 290 ? I guess it will work

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast