Thread: Vista SP2.. some exciting results

Xtreme Enthusiast

Vista SP2.. some exciting results

Not sure what caused the treachery, but figured I'd tell you guys just in case you wanted to try SP2

This was on my regular desktop, running the Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H (F3).

Totally plain system, using IGP, Phenom 8750, 4GB 1066, Vista 32 SP1. Only thing NOT bone stock was AMD RAID 1 (2xWD 320s)

The system was running fine, but as I have a technet subscription, I figured I must be smart and should try SP2

Well, it caused TOTAL THERMONUCLEAR MELTDOWN!!!

I ran the standalone installer, and halfway through the installation, the screen went dark and the monitor went into standby. This could have been nothing, but alas, it stayed there for 10 minutes. I then rebooted, and lo and behold, the screen was still black. Argh. Rebooted again, and I got the windows boot options screen, selected normal startup (thinking that SP2 installer would continue), and screen went black. Tried Safe mode too, but No video either. But wait, it gets Much more interesting.!

This cycle went on for a couple more times, but then I got a new screen that said "Service Pack 2 did not install correctly, changes will be reverted". HOPE has returned...... NOT!

After that reboot, black screen, then another reboot, chkdsk with zillions of errors, then reboot, then black screen,... etc. etc. etc... You get the picture. I tried shutting off RAID in BIOS, hoping the single disk would stand a chance, NOT. More chkdsk, more reboots, more black screens.

Story's not over yet, installed a new disk, did a clean install of vista on it, when it went for its first restart after copying windows files, THAT disk went into chkcsk, with a zillion errors. Then the machine wouldn't boot at all.

Tried again with another disk, which finally booted. Turns out that BOTH original disks in the RAID1 set were both TRASHED, signatures destroyed, and Boot partitions annihilated. Fortunately, 1 of them still had my D: partition in it where I keep most of my data, so I was able to salvage it. I was also able to scavenge some of the C: partition data on that disk as well with some tools.

End of story is, that I decided to completely zero out both original disks, and did a complete rebuild putting it back to plain Vista SP1 with a RAID1 pair.

So, not sure whether it is an AMD RAID problem, an SP2 problem, an installer problem, Cat drivers or AMD motherboard drivers... But either way, a painful experience.!!!

Asus M3A79-T W/ PII 720@3.6Ghz DTek Fuzion Water Block
    Raptor X 150G Boot Device & 3 X WD 500GB in RAID 5 Load Device
    8G OCZ Reaper @1066
    2xVisiontek 4870 Xfire @790/1080Mhz w/XPSC Water Blocks
    Razer Barracuda Sound System
    Windows Vista 64 Bit SP1
    LG 24" 1920X1200

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nanohead View Post
    ...Well, it caused TOTAL THERMONUCLEAR MELTDOWN!!! ...
    lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nanohead View Post
    Not sure what caused the treachery, but figured I'd tell you guys just in case you wanted to try SP2

This was on my regular desktop, running the Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H (F3).

Totally plain system, using IGP, Phenom 8750, 4GB 1066, Vista 32 SP1. Only thing NOT bone stock was AMD RAID 1 (2xWD 320s)

The system was running fine, but as I have a technet subscription, I figured I must be smart and should try SP2

Well, it caused TOTAL THERMONUCLEAR MELTDOWN!!!

I ran the standalone installer, and halfway through the installation, the screen went dark and the monitor went into standby. This could have been nothing, but alas, it stayed there for 10 minutes. I then rebooted, and lo and behold, the screen was still black. Argh. Rebooted again, and I got the windows boot options screen, selected normal startup (thinking that SP2 installer would continue), and screen went black. Tried Safe mode too, but No video either. But wait, it gets Much more interesting.!

This cycle went on for a couple more times, but then I got a new screen that said "Service Pack 2 did not install correctly, changes will be reverted". HOPE has returned...... NOT!

After that reboot, black screen, then another reboot, chkdsk with zillions of errors, then reboot, then black screen,... etc. etc. etc... You get the picture. I tried shutting off RAID in BIOS, hoping the single disk would stand a chance, NOT. More chkdsk, more reboots, more black screens.

Story's not over yet, installed a new disk, did a clean install of vista on it, when it went for its first restart after copying windows files, THAT disk went into chkcsk, with a zillion errors. Then the machine wouldn't boot at all.

Tried again with another disk, which finally booted. Turns out that BOTH original disks in the RAID1 set were both TRASHED, signatures destroyed, and Boot partitions annihilated. Fortunately, 1 of them still had my D: partition in it where I keep most of my data, so I was able to salvage it. I was also able to scavenge some of the C: partition data on that disk as well with some tools.

End of story is, that I decided to completely zero out both original disks, and did a complete rebuild putting it back to plain Vista SP1 with a RAID1 pair.

So, not sure whether it is an AMD RAID problem, an SP2 problem, an installer problem, Cat drivers or AMD motherboard drivers... But either way, a painful experience.!!!

SP2 and you shouldn't have rebooted I total destroyer windows like that once while is was putting SP1.
    I couldn't ever get back even in safemode. I had to scrub the drive and reinstall, windows.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Banned
    i allways have my OS's imaged for back up and protection, but i got to agree with the SP2 issues,

i had it on this rig a few weeks back, unlike you i managed to get it to instal, but after that apps where wrecked, marvel network driver kept dropping out, tons of little nags to be honest.

i had it 2 hours and re-imaged back to SP1, to be honest i am not a fan of SP1 either, far as i am concerned it just makes Vista sluggish.

i lost 200 points on winRAR benchmark going to SP1 on vista, says it all really

for crysis i run the vanila Vista, and it runs like a dream

I am Xtreme
    what is a good image program you can recommend-because you said, it is always good to keep an external backup

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    i allways have my OS's imaged for back up and protection, but i got to agree with the SP2 issues,

i had it on this rig a few weeks back, unlike you i managed to get it to instal, but after that apps where wrecked, marvel network driver kept dropping out, tons of little nags to be honest.

i had it 2 hours and re-imaged back to SP1, to be honest i am not a fan of SP1 either, far as i am concerned it just makes Vista sluggish.

i lost 200 points on winRAR benchmark going to SP1 on vista, says it all really

for crysis i run the vanila Vista, and it runs like a dream
    I agree the sp1 ruins crysis, really the full screen mode only go' up t 1680 x 1080. I want my fullscreen 1920 x1200 damn it it's twice as slow,after the updates, of windows and crysis.

I don't use AA & AF on it either.

have ever ran vista with out a video card driver ?
    I noticed the it seemed to put more load on both GPU's maybe it was an illusion though. lol
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    what is a good image program you can recommend-because you said, it is always good to keep an external backup
    i personaly use Norton ghost v8.0, its an old version, but i have it on a tools disc i boot from that gives me a ton of other stuff i need.

i put the disc together some time ago now, but you can make the boot discs from the retail version of Ghost, 99% sure of that.

but basicaly i image the drive (30 mins)

and then re-image if i get a virus or wreck the instal (20 mins)

there are tons of other apps, out there, i used to use power quest partition magic, but i think they are gone now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    I love Acronis truimage. Only one that always gets the job done every time...
    Asus M3A79-T W/ PII 720@3.6Ghz DTek Fuzion Water Block
    Raptor X 150G Boot Device & 3 X WD 500GB in RAID 5 Load Device
    8G OCZ Reaper @1066
    2xVisiontek 4870 Xfire @790/1080Mhz w/XPSC Water Blocks
    Razer Barracuda Sound System
    Windows Vista 64 Bit SP1
    LG 24" 1920X1200