Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cooling Rig

Xtreme Enthusiast

New Cooling Rig

I am in the process of bulding a cooler made from a Gott cooler and a compressor from a refrigerator/freezer. I made my own coil out of quarter in. copper tubing and I am still using the condensor that came with it in hope that it will be enough so I don't have to switch to setup with a condensor and a fan. I would like to ask a couple of questions if your not to busy, because I am having the same problem you described in keeping up with the damm pent. I currently have a score of 12347 on 2001SE and hope to greatly improve it with the new cooler. My mother board is an Abit AT7, proceswsor a unlocked 2100+ (2028) and I am using an Adtronics ET6896A case. I am using the Z-4 water block and vid card cooler, ram water coolers and 8 20gig maxtor 133 drives in a striping 0 with the new Hpt 374 controler. I thought I would try out the new Corsair ram 3200 so I just received the 512 stick today. I am almost done with building the new tower, I have to have a H.D. rack built for the drives so they won't be a wiring disaster and then I just need to have the final touches done on the cooling settup by my friend that is helping me (I am an electrician don't know that much about refrigeration). I would appreciate any pointers so as I could implement them before the final product.

Overclocking Guru
    Nohto,

Welcome to the Forums

Allright, everything sounds good to me. I would like to get a gott cooler myself, it may help hold the chill. My big prob while running my chiller is the heat, it blows hot air right at my rig makeing my system temps heat up leaveing it hard on the memory and such when pushing it to it's max.
    Show us some pictures will see how she looks.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can't take pictures yet cooler, compressor is still at the refrigeration shop, but I,ll get some pictures of the tower and post them later. I got a service call to go to take them and post later or tomorrow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One question I had was why the peltier on vid card? Couldn't you get the temp down enough with water cooler. And do you use any memory cooling on the card (aftermarket) Iguess that was 2. lol

Overclocking Guru
    Good deal, I'll post a picture of mine and we can compare them.

OPP

Overclocking Guru
    On a good day doing -22c

Overclocking Guru
    Originally posted by Nohto
    One question I had was why the peltier on vid card? Couldn't you get the temp down enough with water cooler. And do you use any memory cooling on the card (aftermarket) Iguess that was 2. lol
    I don't cool the mem, when the waterblock is covered in Ice it cools the mem also I find.

OPP

I am lame
    Originally posted by OPPAINTER

I don't cool the mem, when the waterblock is covered in Ice it cools the mem also I find.

OPP
    LOL!

Good point man!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Obviously you had to insulate the card from condensation. Best method? Any aftermarket sprays or just foam, and silicone.

Overclocking Guru
    Straight Neoprene, a big piece on the back and one on top. The block coated with neoprene sits on the neoprene thats on top of the card if that makes sence.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not really it sounds like u don't have any direct heatsink contact to the chip just thru the neoprene.

Overclocking Guru
    of coarse I do. The neoprene is about 1/8 thick on the card, it's cut out in a square just around the core. Next time I have it apart I'll post some pictures.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That sounds a little better

One question I had was why the peltier on vid card? Couldn't you get the temp down enough with water cooler.

Overclocking Guru
    The water doesn't have to be as cold with the pelt. And less messy as far as condensation.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are you using a vapochill? If not what unit is your evaporator to get it to -34C and is it a constant temp under load. I started out using one of those dual voltage ice chests andd I could get the coolant down to about -15 but within a hour I would be well above 32 degrees. Thats the reason for the upgrade. I just hope it keeps up with the heat load and I don't have to start over with a bigger compressor.

Overclocking Guru
    I use this http://www.icrontic.com/index.php?pa...hardwareId=364

Read it, you'll see the difference.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where do you get one and is it still $500?

Overclocking Guru
    http://www.xtwerkz.com/

Not sure on the cost.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I sent them an E-mail as to $ and availability. I better get my ass to the service call so as to not piss off any of my customers if I want to buy any more toys like that. Did you use a cpu heater to keep the pins from getting condensation on them? Thanks for all the info by the way.

Overclocking Guru
    No I didn't use the heater. It only keeps the evaporator block dry anyway. DiElectric grease on the pins. I did use the heater once and a while though, espeacilly after the block dripped on my Vid Card
    Now go to work

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Damm computers are addicting!!!!!!!!!! Late

i'm new to pelt water cooling, but i have a couple questions for ya.

1. do you need an evaporator to do pelt? i saw some pics where the block was covered in ice, and i was wondering if it needed this evaporator?

2. do pelts spike ur electric bill?

Overclocking Guru
    himura-dono,

1)No you don't need the chiller to do pelts. The pelt does work better though when the hot side is cooled down better.

2)Actually I believe they do a bit

OPP

k, straight water cooling for me then.

Xtreme Member

here is mine ;-]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast