Thread: PSU Rail mod questions.

PSU Rail mod questions.

I know people reccomend just getting a better PSU when your rails have high amounts of fluctuation(sag@load) but would it just be possible for me to swap out some components (eg. caps) for ones rated higher/better quality? Has anyone tried this or can point me in the right direction to research a mod like this?

Banned
    its too risky, and failure rate is probobly worse than the succcess rate

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk79
    I know people reccomend just getting a better PSU when your rails have high amounts of fluctuation(sag@load) but would it just be possible for me to swap out some components (eg. caps) for ones rated higher/better quality? Has anyone tried this or can point me in the right direction to research a mod like this?

There is alot more to it than just the caps. The regulators play a role as well. However, you could start with the caps to see what happens I suppose. Its a good way to practice your soldering skills.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    I just hope you are very comfortable and familiar working with high-voltage caps. Those suckers might look small but they can pack a lethal punch.
    Amd64 3500+ Winnie; OCZ Plat Rev2 TCCD; DFI SLI-dr; FireGL V3100; Vapochill Classic; Dell 2405fpw

Quote Originally Posted by adamwinn
    I just hope you are very comfortable and familiar working with high-voltage caps. Those suckers might look small but they can pack a lethal punch.
    I'm an electronics technician with the Navy and I am used to working on equipment with -18.5kV and caps bigger than a cereal box. I'm just no good reverse engineering circuits without schematics. Thanks for the precautionary warning though.
    Last edited by Obelisk79; 04-20-2006 at 09:36 AM.