Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: T.E.C. Cooling Question

Xtreme Member

T.E.C. Cooling Question

Hi, I want to add a T.E.C. to my watercooling setup. One question though where can you get high wattage ones and also are coldplates neccesary or can you just put the T.E.C. right on the CPU?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Frozencpu has the Winstch Labs one and there's a seller on Ebay with decent rates on the "320" watt one.

-150c Club Member
    Coldplates are necesary, high wattage ones from ebay or generic thermolectric stores.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtkprol
    Hi, I want to add a T.E.C. to my watercooling setup. One question though where can you get high wattage ones and also are coldplates neccesary or can you just put the T.E.C. right on the CPU?
    New 437W Qmax 62mm sq. TEC Module available.
    Specs as follows:
    Th = 50C
    Qmax = 437.3W
    I(Qmax) = 32.8A
    I(dTmax) = 25.2A
    Umax = 26.7V
    dT = 74.5K

Th = 26.8C
    Qmax = 376.8W
    I(Qmax) = 30.4A
    I(dTmax) = 23.7A
    Umax = 24.8V
    dT = 66.0K

PM me if interested.

Xtreme Member
    ok where can i get these coldplates? also what do you reccomend i use to attach the coldplate to the tec then the tec to the waterblocks? thanks

you can pick up coldplates from these guys i think http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...owunits=inches ive never tried them myself though, so im not sure. all you have to do is get your tec dimensions, convert to inch, and put them into the custom plate size calculator at the lower part of the page. the particular part your lookin at in the link is for a 1/4 ince piece of copper. g/l, im gonna be tryin this TEC stuff out soon myself. ooo yeah, make sure to pick up 2 pieces, 1 for the top of the tec, 1 for the bottom.
    SPECS::
    AMD Newark 3700+ DFI lanparty UT NF3 250GB 1x1GB Mushkin XP PC4000 3-4-3-8 WD Raptor 36 ANTEC TrueControl 550 GiGa 6600gt Lite On CD+R\RW Sony FloPy Kingwin Arctic LiquiD CooLer..((heavily modded by me)) Coolermaster Cent5

Xtreme Member
    idk about you guys but I like to take advice from people who have done this before.

Xtreme Cruncher
    What do you need one on the top for? You only need a cold plate for contact to the cpu. The peltier should not be bigger than the waterblock/heatsink you are cooling it with, it would just add more thermal resistance between the TEC and cooling device.

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Member
    yea i know. i just need two coldplates, one for the gpu and one for the cpu. i would just put the tec on the coldplate. the coldplate on the cpu. the other side of the tec on the water block. is this correct?

and also i still need reccomendations on where to get my coldplates and tecs at? thanks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtkprol
    yea i know. i just need two coldplates, one for the gpu and one for the cpu. i would just put the tec on the coldplate. the coldplate on the cpu. the other side of the tec on the water block. is this correct?

and also i still need reccomendations on where to get my coldplates and tecs at? thanks
    If by "just put on the TEC" you mean clamp with 100# per square inch of pressure using four or even better eight 6-32 screws then yes.

Read up some more, buy a pre built TEC.

Xtreme Member
    ok does anyone know where i can buy preassembled tecs?

Xtreme Cruncher
    swiftech

Xtreme Member
    dangerden as well

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have not seen a prebuilt at DD

Swiftech is the best of whats avalable anyway..
    IMO.

If your just starting out then a swiftech block will be the best way to go, that way you get coldplate and insulation all sorted out for you and you dont have to make anything much yourself.

If you wanted to go down the custom or 6002/5002 route then you would have to buy the copper and make your own coldplate and mount, which might be tricky.

Only major disadvantage of the swiftech (and all other commercially avalable blocks) is that your limited to smaller TEC, the only block that will take that 62mm tec posted above is the winchlabs one, which is very good but as they went out of buisiness they are hard to get hold of andexpensive. Or you can make your own.

A coldplate is not complicated.
    All it is is a big heatspreader, any 1/4" copper will work.
    TEC work much better when clamped between the waterblock and coldplate under high pressure. So they are bolted together (I put mine in a vice then tighten the screws down) the assembly is then mounted as a solid unit onto the CPU/GPU at a much lower pressure.
    If you just clamped the entire lot up cpu/coldplate/tec/waterblock then you would either crush the CPU or not get enough pressure on the TEC.

Xtreme Member
    so, do the tecs already come with holes in them? if so i think i could just get the tec bolt it down in between the coldplate and the waterblock.

also i plan on getting a 1000w power supply. if i got one that big would i still need to get a seperate psu for the tecs?

one more thing. can someone post a pic of the tec in between the coldplate and waterblock and how they sandwiched it in between. ive already looked at the gallery, but found nothing that displayed it well

thanks guys for the help.

I think you need to read ALLOT more before you consider going TEC.

you need a dedicated PSU for TEC.

TEC done have holes in them, you clamp them between the waterblock and coldplate. look on swiftecs site for exploded diagram of there blocks.

Xtreme Member
    ok i dont plan on going tec for while. im just trying to get everything right before i do it. thanks for all the help. ill post back whenever i have more questions.

Xtreme Member
    ok guys read up. going to buy a 7900gtx and my 4400. i plan on using a 226w tec on the 7900 and 437w on the cpu. I will most likely have to 2 bix3 radiators so cooling should not be a problem. i am getting the u2-ufo case on mountain mods. so my question is, i do not have access to a machine to cut copper coldplates for me so i going to need to buy them. where can i buy these from? i do have a vice and i can bolt the tec to them, that should not be a problem. i also need a recommendation for a place to buy my tecs from. i have looked around but i would like to know you guys suggestions. and then one more question, what waterblocks are compatible or bug enough for a tec?
    thanks for all your help

Xtreme Member
    By the way. The BIX III does not fit on the front of the U2 UFO. I found this out from personal experience. The thermochill PA 120.3 and the HE 120.3 fit the front of the U2 UFO.

It's a shame you aren't going with a 6800 card. I could have sold you a Wintsch labs 437w tec unit.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to put TECs on my 7800GTXs. There isn't much room on my SLI-DR board.
    Last edited by ElDuderino; 04-28-2006 at 12:26 PM.
    ASUS P5N32E
    E6600 @ 3ghz
    2x1024 Buffalo Firestix 4 4 4 12 1T
    2x 7950GX2
    2x74gb raptors Raid 0

Xtreme Cruncher
    wtkprol not to sound rude but you need to read!! I am still learning myself but I have read, read and reread all of these
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=38367
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=28294

also look into this site for info http://www.ocforums.com/

Xtreme Member

swiftech blocks

btw you can forget about getting a new pelt block from swifttech anytime soon they have been on back order for over a month. I got one on order and bought a dangerden (even though everyone says they are trash) just so i could start practicing.

Xtreme Cruncher
    the maze works ok for me but I do see what everyone is saying about the maze! The design of it makes the water hot before it even covers the hole tec! so the tec is not as effecient as is should be and you use more power then you need too!!

Xtreme Member
    The swiftech blocks look a little large to fit my SLI setup on the DFI SLI-DR. Not much room between the two cards.
    ASUS P5N32E
    E6600 @ 3ghz
    2x1024 Buffalo Firestix 4 4 4 12 1T
    2x 7950GX2
    2x74gb raptors Raid 0

Xtreme Cruncher
    hum sorry ELDuderino I am not sure what is the best sli blocks!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast