Thread: Western Digital - Notice of Class Action Settlement email

Xtreme Member

Western Digital - Notice of Class Action Settlement email

anyone else get this email? very interesting to say the least

You are receiving this notice because our records indicate that you purchased an aftermarket Western Digital Corporation ("WD") hard disk drive between March 22, 2001 and February 15, 2006. "Aftermarket" purchasers are those who purchased their hard disk drives separately rather than pre-installed by an original equipment manufacturer into a computer.

A proposed class action settlement may affect your legal rights. If the settlement is approved, you may be eligible to receive free hard disk drive backup and recovery software from WD. Read below for a summary of the proposed settlement. For a detailed legal notice and complete terms, please visit www.wdc.com/settlement.

A class action lawsuit entitled Safier v. Western Digital Corporation is pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The lawsuit claims that in the sale and marketing of its hard disk drives, Western Digital overstates the useable storage capacity. According to the lawsuit, when attached to most personal computers, a hard disk drive advertised as having "80GB" will only show an available capacity of "74.4GB." The lawsuit alleges that one reason for this disparity is the existence of two different measurements of a "GB," one of which is used by computer operating systems and another of which is used by hard disk drive manufacturers. The lawsuit seeks restitution, damages, punitive damages, and injunctive relief. The lawsuit is case number 05-03353 BZ.

WD has denied any wrongdoing or liability. WD believes that its marketing and advertising complied and continues to comply in all respects with the law. WD further believes that no Class Member, including the Plaintiff, has sustained any damages or injuries. Nonetheless, WD has concluded that further conduct of the Litigation would be protracted and expensive, and that it is desirable that the Litigation be fully and finally settled in the manner and upon the terms and conditions of the proposed settlement.

If the Court approves the settlement, WD will change how it markets and advertises the available storage capacity of its hard disk drives. WD also will provide eligible Class Members with free backup and recovery software to use with their hard disk drives. WD will be released from any further related claims by Class Members. Plaintiff's Counsel will ask the Court to award, and WD agrees to pay, an award of attorneys' fees of up to $485,000 and expenses of up to $15,000. Class Members will not be required to pay these attorneys' fees or costs.

You have four options about how to respond to the proposed settlement. Before making a decision, you should read the full explanation of the proposed settlement and release of claims at www.wdc.com/settlement. You have only a limited time to make your decision:

Option 1. Sign Up To Receive Free Software As Part Of The Settlement.
    To get the software, you must fill out the Claim Form available at http://www.wdc.com/settlement no later than thirty days after Final Approval of the settlement. If you sign up for the free software, you give up your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Western Digital.

Option 2. Exclude Yourself From the Class
    To preserve your right to bring a separate lawsuit, you must exclude yourself from the class. To do so, you must mail a letter by May 19, 2006, according to the instructions available at www.wdc.com/settlement. By excluding yourself, you won't get the free software.

Option 3. Make An Objection To The Settlement
    To object to the settlement, you must serve legal papers on counsel for the parties by May 24, 2006, according to the instructions available at www.wdc.com/settlement.

Option 4. Do Nothing
    If you do nothing, you won't get the free software. You also give up your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Western Digital.

To get more information about the settlement or about options 1-3, please visit http://www.wdc.com/settlement.
    http://tr.subscribermail.com/cc.cfm?...f7b19ce2d9ad9c

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like another "Hey lets give the lawyers everything and the consumer nothing!"

Xtreme Addict
    what a buncha . Anyone who has enough knowledge to build a computer SHOULD know that the 80GB that the box says is assuming that a GB is 1000 MB, and what the OS sees is 1024MB to a GB, thus the F***ing difference!!!!!
    "Roses are FF0000, Violets are 0000FF, All my base are belong to you."
    Asus P6X58D-E
    I7 930 @ 3.9
    Asus 660ti DirectCU OC
    Antec Twelve-Hundred

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_knowitall15
    what a buncha . Anyone who has enough knowledge to build a computer SHOULD know that the 80GB that the box says is assuming that a GB is 1000 MB, and what the OS sees is 1024MB to a GB, thus the F***ing difference!!!!!
    QFT, that lawsuit is ridiculous.
    Opteron 148 CAB2E 0604 (255*11 2.8Ghz 1.4 Vcore)
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D (Rev AD0)
    2x1 GB Mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR 500 (255 3-4-3-8)
    EVga 7800GT - Waiting for new cooler to OC
    OCZ Powerstream 520 watt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    besides ALL HDD maufaturers do that, so lets sue them all, while we'r at it I had a p4 1.8ghz that cpu-z reported to be doing 1799.9mhz lets sue intel
    /Ed
    Conroe E6420 @ 3.3ghz at the moment.
    DFI Dark P965
    2gb Geil DDR800 4-4-4-12
    8800GTS 512mb
    1.7TB Storage
    CM Stacker

Xtreme Cruncher
    It is rediculous but I see where it's coming from, I mean I lost 6 gb on my 120 just because they want to inflate the capacity to make it look better. Who want's to buy a 114 gb hard drive when you can call it a 120?

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Aint No Real Gangster
    i say i have to agree. the average consumer WONT know this information. and we are not the average consumer, we are a small number.

hdd manu.s do this to fool the average consumer. as everywhere else one gig is counted as 1024mb.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Member
    In all fairness, the prefix giga means 10^9 in a mathematical sense. We should sue whoever decided that 2^30 was close enough to 10^9 for confusing the consumer. Boule I'm coming to get you.

Edit: But if they are going to play that game, I think they should be forced to call a Byte 10 bits, even though that also really has nothing to do with the storage size, so instead of getting 7% less than what you think, you are actually getting 16% more than advertised at the end of it.
    Last edited by Weee; 03-21-2006 at 05:51 PM.
    I had the fastest 32M Opteron time for about 1/2 day, and I'm damn proud of it

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    they have no chance of winning that suit against WD surely, isnt it something to do with the file allocation table anyway? back in college i asked my computing teacher why there was this descrepency and he fobbed me off with some crap about the file allocation table, he was abit of a nob really, if it wasnt in a book he didnt know, also he thought 'overclocking posed a significant risk to hardware' lol

Opty 144 0546FPMW @ 2.8ghz
    MSI K8N Neo 2
    2 x 512mb OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 TCCD
    ATI X800 Pro @ 570/1200
    Plus some other metal fings...
    Will do me till Conroe
    Heat

Xtreme Mentor
    What ass hats they are..
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa
    i say i have to agree. the average consumer WONT know this information. and we are not the average consumer, we are a small number.

hdd manu.s do this to fool the average consumer. as everywhere else one gig is counted as 1024mb.
    uh huh. But it specifically said aftermarket HDDs, not ones used in premade systems. If someone has enough knowledge to be using a blank drive that they have to install an OS on, they should be smart enough to know that. I deal with people at work (circuit city) that come to me in the GAMES dept. and ask about upgrading their memory or something. (because _____*, my____** said i need more(*Proper Noun, **relation)) so i ask if they know what kind of ram they have now (hoping to god im NOT dealing with a complete tech know nothing) and my usual answer is a number, either amount of MBs, or sometimes even 120GBs, and the most popular answer is its a Dell. Most of the time they dont know their model number either so they have to come back jsut so we can be sure their system uses whatever RAM. I usually reccomend that they pay our tech dept and have stuff professionally installed.
    The worst is video cards. Customer dipshizzle comes in and informs me that he wants a new video card so his kids can play games. After explaining the naming scheme of video cards, and what the numbers generally designate, we decide on how much they need vs. what they wanna spend. Theres the easy part. Then they ask how hard it is to install. When i tell them its no different that installing a PCI card, and i get silence and blank stare, and they reply, is it liek plugging something into to the back of the computer? Ill say, well its kinda in the back yes. They say " like a "UBS" cord?
    *Dies*
    *reccomends professional installation*
    "Roses are FF0000, Violets are 0000FF, All my base are belong to you."
    Asus P6X58D-E
    I7 930 @ 3.9
    Asus 660ti DirectCU OC
    Antec Twelve-Hundred

XS News
    It IS being marketed as a false claim, avg consumer won't know or feel the diffrence, its a shame only WD gets hit by it, should be all HDD mfg's. Seeing if this passes through, most likely all HDD mfg's will be hit with the same lawsuit.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Member
    I got one but I toosed it. bunch of crap... like suing mcdonalds because you spilled hot coffee on your lap and there not being a warning saying it was hot...
    MSI Z68A-GD65 G3
    Intel 2700k
    Corsair H80
    4x2gb G.Skill
    eVGA 460 GTX
    Ultra-X 1000w PSU

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Chuckster
    I got one but I toosed it. bunch of crap... like suing mcdonalds because you spilled hot coffee on your lap and there not being a warning saying it was hot...

actually there is a warning for just that reason. also lawsuits have been won where they claimed it was too hot and they were scalded.
    Specs
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_knowitall15
    uh huh. But it specifically said aftermarket HDDs, not ones used in premade systems. If someone has enough knowledge to be using a blank drive that they have to install an OS on, they should be smart enough to know that. I deal with people at work (circuit city) that come to me in the GAMES dept. and ask about upgrading their memory or something. (because _____*, my____** said i need more(*Proper Noun, **relation)) so i ask if they know what kind of ram they have now (hoping to god im NOT dealing with a complete tech know nothing) and my usual answer is a number, either amount of MBs, or sometimes even 120GBs, and the most popular answer is its a Dell. Most of the time they dont know their model number either so they have to come back jsut so we can be sure their system uses whatever RAM. I usually reccomend that they pay our tech dept and have stuff professionally installed.
    The worst is video cards. Customer dipshizzle comes in and informs me that he wants a new video card so his kids can play games. After explaining the naming scheme of video cards, and what the numbers generally designate, we decide on how much they need vs. what they wanna spend. Theres the easy part. Then they ask how hard it is to install. When i tell them its no different that installing a PCI card, and i get silence and blank stare, and they reply, is it liek plugging something into to the back of the computer? Ill say, well its kinda in the back yes. They say " like a "UBS" cord?
    *Dies*
    *reccomends professional installation*
    ok. among all of that crap you spewed(learn how to peice together a statement), all you managed to do was further prove my point. so good job buddy. keep up the good work. advice for next time you try to disagree with someone, your supporting evidence SHOULDNT prove the other persons point even more.
    Specs
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600

Audio Setup