Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venus Software Monitoring Comparison

Venus Software Monitoring Comparison

These results were obtained on Venus #D607000349 in Win XP x64 Editon.
    Basically a comparison of the latest versions of software monitoring utilities.

I've tried to show a comparison of temps/voltages/fans between MBM5, cpu-z, SysTool, Everest Ultimate Edition 2.8, and a beta of the new version of NextSensor that Vitaliy (VVJ @ CBID) is working on. I really like the 3 decimal place readout of NextSensor but there are still issues with fan speeds and of course I still need MBM5 for importing data to the MatrixOrbital display and Samaurize. Nextsensor also seems to read the 12v rail correctly where all the others are a little high.

ALL the programs are still reading 8-10 degrees lower than the exact same setup on my Ultra-Ds.
    I am also sure that Everest is incorrectly naming the sensors themselves and I have added the correct names to the screenshot.

I also get incorrect results using the A64 memory tweaking in SysTool compared to A64 Tweaker. SysTool is still in Alpha stage and hopefully W1zzard can fix these bugs.

More details on MBM5 for the DFI LanParty boards can be found here
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

These all all EXCELLENT programs and kudos to the authors for attempting to give us what motherboard manufacturers can't, correct readings of voltages and temperatures. As you can see they are all very close in readings and your preference is really what matters.

Yes, of course software monitoring is no substitute for a Digital Multimeter. but if you measure with a DMM and than correct the voltage.ini in MBM5 you can get very close to being on the button. MBM5 remains my app of choice since it uses the fewest resources, Voltage and temps can be calibrated/compensated for, and works in both 32 and 64 bit OSes.

All credit for MBM5 to it's author, Alexander Van Kaam.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by soundx98; 03-20-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Good to know!

soundx98...thanks for your work here. I have this "beautiful box" sitting here but won't be able to get to it until the weekend.

So IIRC, MBM works with the Venus aside from the CPU temps being 8-10 degrees off (as it is with the Expert)? Like you I use the data from MBM for my Crystalfontz device to display quite a bit of information. Good to know I can still use it.

What memory are you using?

edit: Nice clocks on the oppty.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 03-20-2006 at 10:48 PM.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

Thank you for the kind words.
    Just wanted to make sure that people knew the various programs were all good on the board and it is really a matter of preference as to which you use.

If you are worried about MBM5 reading a little high on 12v line you can switch it from ITE8712F Voltage Standard 4 to ITE8712F Voltage Standard 2 and it then will read a tad low.
    Here is an oldie but goodie that Supershanks found from back in the day
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=37620
    May help you as well

My Venus is definately reading the VDimm 0.05 to 0.06 lower in MBM5 than it is set in the Bios.

RAM is old skewl Mushkin PC3500 Black Level II BH-5 with a 5/6 divider, Drive Strengths at 8, Level 1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for information. I'm going to start testing with my Venus later this week.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for using NextSensor, soundx98! A new version will be available to download soon. Great sceenshots!

-100C Club
    Good work,

Ill have to start using NextSensor, Looks good.

As Vitaliy (VVJ) said, his new version will be available soon. It just seems very accurate and easy to use.
    The current NextSensor that is available at cbid.amdclub.ru is designed for Winbond sensors not the ITE8712F that the DFi's use. (Works great on my NF2). The thermal offset under P-states in CBID intrigues me and VVJ says it is something he may incorporate. I am still not sure if it shows the CPU's corrected temperature or what we need to correct. I'll leave it to smarter guys. Some thoughts on Therma Offset are here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=89487

I plan on using both as like the display of Video Card temps in MBM5.
    But it seems like all the programs have unique features that make you keep them around for one feature or another.
    I've pretty much given up on Sandra and really like the Benchmarks in the New Everest Ultimate.
    W1zzard's SysTool has a ton of potential and utilities. Still an Alpha but a lot of ground work done.
    Speedfan and SmartGuardian have never really appealed to me, but others love them.

Be really nice if we could give these authors more feedback on the programs including bugs. AVK of MBM5 said the reason he stopped working on MBM5 was that is was just too difficult to get information from sensor and mobo manufacturers.
    Hope to get some time to do some real measuring with a DVM and Dallas Thermal Probes for some fine tuning.
    Last edited by soundx98; 03-21-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I’ve just uploaded.
    http://cbid.amdclub.ru/work/nxsensor.zip
    The final version that officially available at the website doesn’t support ITE chips.

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing the latest Beta man.

I see you've got the AUX FAN (DFI Chipset Fan on Fan Header #3) working correctly now. Great work.
    But I'm geting the floating decimal point error when I try and enable SYSFAN Fan Header #2 on board) with a fan plugged in. Needed to kill the entire process in Task Manager to stop it.
    Same issue as I was having yesterday with the AUX FAN. Will the same "fix" work? Tested in both 32 and 64 bit OS. Keep up the great work!

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm i dont trust the +12 readings and vbat i got same value like you but i know my +12 is 12.4-> in "nvsensor" .

VVJ do you know whats are the problem?and are you working on it?

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmm, I couldn't get MBM5 to work on the venus anymore. Some error like "couldn't load driver" or whatever.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

xgman, ygpm

Xtreme Enthusiast

Speaking of sensors...

Hey soundx98...I just figured out you are the guy I should be thanking profusely for your work on the MBM DFI guide. Doh!

Did you ever notice that ITE Smartguardian "seems" to report the 12v line a little more accurately than most of the other apps? MBM for example seems to commonly report 12.41v for the +12v line whereas Smartguardian typically reports 12.07-09 on my board.

I would really like to know where SG is reading the volts from.

Just an observation I wanted to share.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 03-25-2006 at 09:51 PM.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

It's probably cause I have the ITE8712F set to Voltage Standard 4 instead of my original Voltage Standard 2 in MBM5. It's a tough rail to measure as it varies quite a bit more than the others usually, and even a small difference can result in a big difference in displayed readings.

This is from an old post by MBM5's author, Alex Van Kaam. (2003)
    He is explaining that a difference of 0.00016v can result in a 0.02v difference in MBM5 readout (or any other software program).

Question: My Voltage is a bit off
    Answer: Voltages are stored in the sensor chip as bytes, so a value between 0 and 255.

To get them into a number one must use a calculation, this calculation has to be the exact opposite of the way the board went from voltage to a byte value.

if the board maker does not stick to the exact specification in the sensor chip's datasheet then mbm will be a bit off.

An option you still have it to see if you can select another voltage configuration on the mbm voltage tab, this will effact all your voltage readout and there might be one that matches your board better.

Soundx98 Note: You can check this by changing/opening MBM5 settings - Voltages - and changing the "Voltage Configuration" from my config files default of "ITE8712F Standard 4" to "ITE8712F Standard 2" and watch the 12v line drop dramatically".

If your still out of luck you can make your own voltage configuration, simply open the voltage.ini file with notepad and start reading

how it's calculated example

the sensor chip retuns 106

MBM (and your bios): 106 * 0.016 = 1.694

0.016 has to be the exact opposite of what the resistors do (only if you made the board you know what it has to be exactly)

Since the sensor chip can only hold byte's you can have a situation where the value that goes from the resistors into the sensor chip is 106.49 = 106

even a very little 0.01 "real" voltage diffrence will cause the value in the sensor chip to go from 106 to 107

now with mbm (and your bios) that would mean

107 * 0.016 = 1.71 where it was 1.69

another way to look at it:

[real voltage 1.70384] / 0.016 = 106.49 = 106 in sensor chip * 0.016 = [voltage mbm 1.69]

[real voltage 1.70400] / 0.016 = 106.50 = 107 in sensor chip * 0.016 = [voltage mbm 1.71]

so a 0.0016 voltage change shows a 0.02 voltage change in mbm or any other program.

this also explains those voltage that seem to move or jump a lot

- Alex
    Last edited by Alex van Kaam on 09-16-2003 at 06:00 AM
    Again, there is nothing more accurate than measuring with a Digital Voltmeter. Luckily MBM5 does allow you to "calibrate/compensate" Voltage and Temp readings if you take the time to measure them.

All credit to AVK.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Exclamation

Here is what I found in the latest Revision Guide for AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron Processors, Rev 3.59:

Thanks for continuing to look into this issue VVW.
    Unfortunately it still does not answer the question for those using single core optys and x64 chips/

XS News
    Intresting, is this why DFI's beta bios has adjustable offset by 5-10*?
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Banned
    to read the cpu voltage on the venus with a dmm do i measure off of the bottom of the three smds that are labeled c203,c293,c298 near the upper right hand corner of the cpu socket? if this is the measure point, when i set 1.475v x 109.6 = 1.61v, but cpuz and mm5 read 1.57, and the bios reads 1.59v but the dmm reads 1.643v. if this is the correct measure point, my 170 takes about .054 more volts to be stable than my a8n32 did. is this the correct read point? thanks of ryour hard work guys
    Last edited by cronic; 04-30-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good news, guys! I’ve just connected to the thermal diode of my AMD Sempron processor. So, NextSensor will have an addition K8ThermDiode temperature option to sense the temperature of any AMD64 processor. Actually, I found for myself that my W83627EHF chip is too inertial. As an experiment, I’ve created an ambient condition with a rapidly changed temperature gradient. So, the thermal diode was quickly responding to the ambient temperature changes and finally showed a true value of the temperature at the end of experiment – 18 Celsius degrees, while the hardware monitoring chip showed 28 Celsius degrees.

Bring it on Vitaliy,
    I'm more than happy to continue as a tester.
    Regards and Respect

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi there!

Here is the link to unofficial version: http://cbid.amdclub.ru/files/nxsensor_b.zip

See the new K8ThrmDiode option. Note, NextSensor doesn’t use any formula, it reads the temperature directly from the processor!

Any feedbacks appreciated!

Oh, a new version has a Remote Monitor function. Just enable it and you can get the temp/voltage/Fan status using a web browser.
    Last edited by VVJ; 05-01-2006 at 05:14 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think this is reading temps correctly. If so, my CPU would be in trouble if it idled at this temp:

Also, if you look at my smart guardian temp, which includes a +6 or +8 (i forget atm) delta, it is no where close.

Edit: actually, i just noticed i am supposed to be looking at the K8 temp thing, which is not enabled with my system.
    Last edited by Diverge; 05-01-2006 at 05:35 AM.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

go to "controls" and select DFI LanParty.

I'm testing as well right now.

It should enable Vdimm and VLDY readings as well and allow selection of K8THAMDIODE
    Last edited by soundx98; 05-01-2006 at 05:41 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Diverge, actually, old AMD64 processors with CG, C0, B3 Revision are not supported by NextSensor. Therefore, the K8ThrmDiode checkbox is always disabled.

soundx98, thanks a lot! I’ll be waiting for your results!

Xtreme Member
    K8ThrmDiode temp went up to 58° while processor temp was 33° !

I used S&M's FPU test

I'm using a IT87xxF compatible mobo, not using Venus

Hey VVJ, can you add :

fan divisors ?
    mbprobe style tray icon flashing both mb/cpu temps and baloon showing fan speeds ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast