Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venus Software Monitoring Comparison

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelMonza
    Hey VVJ, can you add :
    fan divisors ?
    mbprobe style tray icon flashing both mb/cpu temps and baloon showing fan speeds ?
    If people are ready to pay for my software then I’ll be glad to develop anything they want ;-)

Good luck!
    Last edited by VVJ; 05-01-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    OK, I got your point

See ya

Vitaliy, as I said in earlier conversations I like this program very much.

Testing on Venus with Opty 146 CAB2E 0540 FPMW using MBM5 and SysTool for comparisons. On 3/29 Bios but Temp Adjustment in Sys Health is set to Default. Rest of equipment in sig.
    I'm using my "stock" MBM5 config WITHOUT Voltage calibration ini.

This is the 146 we discussed that shows a P-State of +20 in CBID.
    (older pic I posted earlier)

The temps are matching my MBM5 exactly. (as does SysTool)
    As far as voltages I have not had a chance to test with DVM yet, but I still believe that yours are more accurate as I said earlier. I can calibrate my MBM5 voltages to match the DVM (and Nextsensor if it is accurate as I believe).

I'm posting two screenshots of the NextSensor B, MBM5, SysTool comparison.
    As I told you and others, I chose to use IHF Voltage Standard 4 in the MBM5 config file because I believe it is closer to the correct CPU Voltage. Unfortunately it also will make 12V Rail show higher than it really is.

The only difference with Screenshot #2 is that the MBM5 voltage sensors are set to read IHF Voltage Standard 2 (instead of 4). This increases the VCore reading but it decreases the 12V rail reading. NextSensor seems to be somewhere in the middle of the two

IHF Voltage Standard 4 (12V high)

IHF Voltage Standard 2 (12V Low)

The K8THAMDIODE sensor at Idle continually fluctuates between 30 and 36 degrees and seems to spend most of the time at either 32 or 34 degrees. I did note that it is always an even number, never 33 or 35. It's been idleing without any use and most programs killed for an hour and still slight shifts.

So my question is, "If the K8THAMDIODE is reading 34 and CPU Temp is at 29 are you saying my Motherboard/CPU combination is reading 5 degrees low?"

Sorry for being long winded but I am assuming 95% of the users will never bother to calibrate any program and wanted to be clear on my initial thoughts.

Keep up the excellent work.You'll never know how much the community appreciates people like yourself that develop these excellent FREEWARE programs. Thank you for all your efforts.

Carl

Banned
    software monitoring is great, but as i stated earlier i would like to know where the raed points on the venus are so i can make a comparrison to the dmm. anybody help me with this?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I enabled the DFI control as Soundx98 said. My results can't be right, I even saw the temp shoot up to 80 degrees, while smart guardian never exceeds 40 (w/ +6 or +8 delta.. would be 30-32 deg w/o delta in bios). My cpu is not one of the older rev's listed above. I ran 1 instance of toast for around 3 minutes (using remote connect to my pc, so can't run 2 instances... might lock up my remote desktop application). Anyway, here's my results:

Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme Addict
    i don't think the K8ThrmDiode works for me
    when idling it measures around 32C, but as soon as i put any load on my cpu, it jumps to over 80C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nxsensor.JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	46711  
    Last edited by Pyr0; 05-01-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    i950 (3035B684)
    Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
    3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800 7-8-7-24
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Asus Xonar DX
    128GB C300, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's
    Corsair AX850W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    soundx98, thank you very much for your highly informative snapshots!

Well, as I can see, the thermal diode is very sensitive comparing with hardware monitoring chip and it more rapidly reacts to the temperature changes. But when the system is absolutely idle its readings should be practically the same as readings of the Super I/O chip. Another interesting thing is when I’m playing MP3 using WinAMP the difference is 5-6 degrees only. After playing, the temperature of the thermal diode quickly goes back and the readings are the same again. So, I suspect you have lunched too many applications that have effected to your result. Try to close some of them and watch the temperature of the processor with NextSensor only.

Yes, I ‘m agreed, users will never apply any thermal offsets and such a crap :-)

Thanks for your kind words, Carl! No problem, I shall do my best to make the life easier! :-)

Pyr0, your processor is in Halt or Stop Grant state when idle. These are low power states. When the processor executes instructions it works in Normal state. So, that was not a bug of NextSensor.
    Last edited by VVJ; 05-01-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VVJ
    Here is what I found in the latest Revision Guide for AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron Processors, Rev 3.59:

I'm sorry if I post in this thread... My Opteron cpu seems to be hotter than the average:

Ambient temp 21,5 °C, wb 33 °C, radiatore 30 °C.

This test was on my old died sli-dr... when the new mobo will arrive, I'll definitly check (my t-case max is 53 °C)

Now perhaps I know the reason of that temperature... Thank you!
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4250 MHz (500x8.5) 1,280 Volt; Cooled by Thermalright IFX-14
    Asus P5E64WS professional
    Kingston HyperX PC14400 @ 1600 MHz 7-6-6-18 1T 1,92 Volt
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 512 MB 800 (1970) / 2200 MHz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi there!

I have just added a small improvement to my NextSensor temperature and voltage monitoring tool. A long time ago I found that each core of the AMD64 processor features two thermal diodes. And recently I decided to add an ability to read measurements of each thermal diode. Here is a new version of NextSensor 2.80 utility. Phenom processors are not supported so far. Below is a screenshot to explain what is what

Enjoy!
    Last edited by VVJ; 06-09-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: A fixed version has been uploaded. Now everything should work fine!

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by soundx98 View Post
    These results were obtained on Venus #D607000349 in Win XP x64 Editon.
    Basically a comparison of the latest versions of software monitoring utilities.

I've tried to show a comparison of temps/voltages/fans between MBM5, cpu-z, SysTool, Everest Ultimate Edition 2.8, and a beta of the new version of NextSensor that Vitaliy (VVJ @ CBID) is working on. I really like the 3 decimal place readout of NextSensor but there are still issues with fan speeds and of course I still need MBM5 for importing data to the MatrixOrbital display and Samaurize. Nextsensor also seems to read the 12v rail correctly where all the others are a little high.

ALL the programs are still reading 8-10 degrees lower than the exact same setup on my Ultra-Ds.
    I am also sure that Everest is incorrectly naming the sensors themselves and I have added the correct names to the screenshot.

I also get incorrect results using the A64 memory tweaking in SysTool compared to A64 Tweaker. SysTool is still in Alpha stage and hopefully W1zzard can fix these bugs.

More details on MBM5 for the DFI LanParty boards can be found here
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

These all all EXCELLENT programs and kudos to the authors for attempting to give us what motherboard manufacturers can't, correct readings of voltages and temperatures. As you can see they are all very close in readings and your preference is really what matters.

Yes, of course software monitoring is no substitute for a Digital Multimeter. but if you measure with a DMM and than correct the voltage.ini in MBM5 you can get very close to being on the button. MBM5 remains my app of choice since it uses the fewest resources, Voltage and temps can be calibrated/compensated for, and works in both 32 and 64 bit OSes.

All credit for MBM5 to it's author, Alexander Van Kaam.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Hey , Carl
    I so missed having you in the AMD Land Its about time this is accurately being compaired to our Venus / Expert Motherboards and I cannot think of a better and more skilled person to do so

Campbell
    P.S......Great to see you Carl
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    soundx98,
    I need your professional conclusion again, Carl. What do you think about the accuracy of each from the two sensors per core?

hardly "professional" but yes, I love temperature monitoring utilities.(where is the nerd emoticon?)
    I've had great results using NextSensor in the past and applaud Vitaliy for the fine work he has done with it and CBID.
    Lots of work and little reward.
    Tip O' the soundx98 hat to you brother!

Previous versions worked great with all my NF4 versions (Ultra-D/SLI-DR/Expert/Venus) and was one of the few programs that would read an AM2 590 board properly.

Vitaliy, I wish I could help but I no longer have any AMD rigs.
    (the program showed as v2.73 when I installed it)
    I set it up for DFI UT P35 T2R (I have an LT)
    Can't get any "core" readings yet (It's an Intel E3110 Dual Core)

CPU/PWM/NB were interposed.(correct values/wrong labels)
    So then I adjust the settings to as follows

And wound up with the following:

As you can see the value are identical to the latest version of Everest (4.50.1376) I am using.
    This version does allow you to select TJmax and I have selected 95 vs the default value of 105 for the E3110.

I really like the values/fonts in the tray as they seem to be VERY easy to read even with a quick glance at them.

I'd love to get the core temps working on my P35 system as well so let me know if you are looking for additional info.
    My backup is a an ASUS Maximus Extreme, I'll see if a little experimentation gets me anywhere with it.

PS Brother Esau has smelly feet
    He may be able to help you test the current AMD stuff though.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy

PS Brother Esau has smelly feet

He may be able to help you test the current AMD stuff though.
    I do and thanks for noticing Hey Carl how are you man? You feeling better these days Carl I hope?

Campbell
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    soundx98,
    I have already finished a new version of NextSensor. Now it is compatible with Intel Core and dual-core mobile Pentium M processors.

I will upload NextSensor in a few hours! Phenom processor seems to be the next!

Make sure you take into consideration the different TJmax for Intels Processors.
    But I believe TJmax for the T5600 and E8400/X3110 are all 95 degrees.

Looking Forward to it but I won't get a chance until tonight.
    Any advice for the ASUS boards?

I would really love to see it display MHz (speeed) somewhere

Xtreme Enthusiast

Any advice for the ASUS boards?
    Hm, what do you meen?

I would really love to see it display MHz (speeed) somewhere

What do you think about an additional panel? Ha-ha..

Quote Originally Posted by VVJ View Post
    Hm, what do you meen?
    My apologies if I'm OT in an AMD thread but I've got an ASUS Maximus Extreme (readies self for flames).
    I can't seem to find the right settings/control for it.
    Can you give me hand setting up NextSensor on that motherboard?

What do you think about an additional panel? Ha-ha..
    Oh bring it on brother, bring it on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12