Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the coldest chiller someone's made?

What's the coldest chiller someone's made?

Alot of threads talk about what liquid/pumps are good to keep liquid as low as -80 C, but I haven't seen any threads about a chiller keeping a cpu near those temps even unloaded. Is it possible to make a water chiller that can compete with a ss direct die in terms of temps?

Does liquid simply not have the thermal capacity of refridgerant?

-150c Club Member
    Not really without cascading something. Its just direct die has much less "heat exchangers" to deal with. Chillers have many more.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    NesLabs, sells chillers that are advertised to reach well below 100C.

but thats chillers roughly the size of a fridge, and meant for medical labs.

I can't find any of the monsters at the moment, but heres one of the controllers for some of the neslabs ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NESLAB-cryotrol-...QQcmdZViewItem

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Worst overclocker evar!!
    the coldest one i saw on the forums was pc ice's at about -55C i think...

unfortunantly all his posts are gone.
    I used to have links here demonstrating how awesome I am, but it's been so long that they're not very relevant (and the pictures have disappeared), so I guess I'll have to get working on new stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    I only achieved -27C loaded temps (coolant). Unloaded I reached under -50C. There is always the tradeoff between capacity and low temps.

You can't compete with DD rigs. The waterblocks aren't optimised for such cold coolant.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyMF
    The waterblocks aren't optimised for such cold coolant.
    Interesting. What physical changes would be necessary for such an optimization?
    DFI LP UT P35-T2R | E8400 Q743A748 - IHS removed
    Team Xtreme PC2 9600 2x1GB | Auzentech XPlosion
    PCP+C Silencer 750W | 2x36GB Raptors RAID-0 | XFX 7800GT
    Iwaki MD20-RZT | FuZion - 4.4mm - modified ProMount | PA120.3

Xtreme Addict
    At a guess I'd think a thinner base and lower flow rate, less turbulent path may benefit.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by eshbach
    the coldest one i saw on the forums was pc ice's at about -55C i think...

unfortunantly all his posts are gone.
    I saw that Pc-Ice was banned, how come?

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster

Probably best to stay on the topic.

Would be cool to see someone design a block for a chiller.
    DFI LP UT P35T2R || X6800 Conroe|| XFX GTX280 || GSkill 2GB PC8500
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    DFI LP SLIDR || AMD 170 opteron || GSkill 2GB PC4000 HZ || XFX 8800GTS (G92) || OCZ GameXStream 700W.
    EVGA780i || E6750 GO || 2xEVGA 8800GTX || Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 D9 ||Seventeam Hurricane 1200W

HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster
    actually I'm interested as well. He was a good guy and as amaizing at phase change as chilly1. What happened? Or is it a taboo subject..

On topic, I think he want's to know if a cascade chiller is possible and if anyone's attempted one. What liquid could you use that goes to -80 or lower?

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneil
    actually I'm interested as well. He was a good guy and as amaizing at phase change as chilly1. What happened? Or is it a taboo subject..

On topic, I think he want's to know if a cascade chiller is possible and if anyone's attempted one. What liquid could you use that goes to -80 or lower?
    Isnt that what misteroaster got??
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Cruncher

Cascade Chiller

Hmm....a cascade chiller....I never really thought about the idea, some people use denaturated alcohol as that stays thin at low temps.

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

As far as liquids there are specially engineered liquids that can go down to -110 C, mantain good viscosity, and are much better heat transferers. Of course, they cost a bundle.

More specifically I guess I was curious about if/where there are inefficentcies in liquid HX.

Also putting 3 evaporators into a resevior, would triple it's heat removing capacity (pulldown), but not change the max lowest temperature, correct??

Xtreme Cruncher

Cascade Chiller

You are correct in that statement, but I believe what he was referring to was to have a cascade phase-change system cooling the liquid. The first phase-change unit would cool the second one, making the second stage be able to produce a lower temperature. People do this all the time in direct die (DD) systems but is uncommon in chillers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here is a pic of one of the Neslab cascade chillers Kunnack was talking about. I have 2 of these units, they are rated for -110c and are immersion chillers. They have a "wand" on the end of the hose that is made to be immersed in the liquid. Both of mine are going to be converted to direct die, a very simple task
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMI-7304-L.JPG 
Views:	519 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	45302  
    CPU's: E6700es, 950es (WR 6.1ghz) http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=186415

MB's: Asus P5WD2 Premium, DFI 975 X/G

Memory: Corsair PC5400UL

Video: ATI X800pro, ATI X1800XT, ATI X1900XTX

Quote Originally Posted by catkicker
    Probably best to stay on the topic.

Would be cool to see someone design a block for a chiller.
    well if someone could direct me to information to figure out or inform me of what would be optimal for a waterblock at such cold temps i might be able to come up with somthing . i have been studieing engineering for the last 4 years sooo...
    All to be oc'ed as soon as I get it up and running *sigh*
    DFI SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Opteron 148
    Mushkin Extreme ddr500 2x1gb UCCC
    EVGA 6800gs 256mb
    Western Digital Raptor 36.7gb 10,000rpm sata150
    dual 120mm heatercore with delta AFB1212VHE's
    Laing D5 pump
    Swiftech Apogee cpu waterblock
    Clearflex 1/2" ID tubing
    Antec TPII-550 EPS12V PSU
    Lian Li PC-75 case with plenty of modding to come
    Dlink DWL-G510 wifi b/g pci
    homebrew yagi beam antenna (pringles can with collector)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Freder
    well if someone could direct me to information to figure out or inform me of what would be optimal for a waterblock at such cold temps i might be able to come up with somthing . i have been studieing engineering for the last 4 years sooo...

-all copper
    -no seals (brazed shut)
    -1/2" inlet/outlet
    -profile that is easy to insulate
    -low restriction
    -high magnitude of heat transfered from block to water per unit of time (forget the technical term, been a while since my last class )
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

all righty . also, lower flow rate would be better right?(i recall reading somthing). make it for tons of heat transfer over more time
    DFI SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Opteron 148
    EVGA 6800gs 256mb
    Laing D5 pump
    Clearflex 1/2" ID tubing

-100C Club
    I use an old maze 4 block all copper when I test my chillers but so far only looking at -30 ish but I think that was more to do with the fact my eheim 1250 kept slugging up
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Hell, if it would unlock this godly 154, I'd put on a tutu and dance around like a ballerina
    Mach 2 Problems Click
    My Work

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Freder
    all righty . also, lower flow rate would be better right?(i recall reading somthing). make it for tons of heat transfer over more time
    Well you want to remove as much heat as fast as possible. Simply the goal is to keep an object under a heat load X as cold as possible. You have almost 4 years of engineering schooling on me, so you tell me how to go about it.

Correct me if I am wrong but forcing the coolant though a restrictive maze at high pressure is good right? Something to do with the way the coolant contacts/impacts the block internals?
    French Duron Poof

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    Here is the waterblock i intend to use with dryice chilled mehtanole:

Originally i meant it to be tested with 2x172w peltiers but i will try it out with methanole when i get other parts made for the system too. The inlet diameter is 18mm and waterblock surface area is over 600cm^2. After the projects i will use it in my watercooler.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Mentor
    be care full with methanole it will absorb through the skin and is leathal in high dossages, just in case you didn't know same with ethylen Glycole.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    What I really want to try is the storm block. With coolant that wont get thick around -40C like denatured alcohol and a powerfull high pressure pump it should work well. Only downside with denatured alcohol is it takes forever to pull down.

I guess my search for ideal coolant is still on.
    French Duron Poof

HEAT

yeah, high pressure is good IF! the liquid is thin, if gooey well...never really cared enough to think about that :P, since i want to avoid that. i was just saying i recalled mention on these forums of slower being better, to my knowledge this is false but i wanted to check, probabaly was just said because they were running anti-freeze in the mix. i've got some ideas running through my head though, hopefully will get some 3d models, or at least 2d done and posted soon. and on my schooling, i didn't say engineering shooling, i have been learning drafting/modeling/engineering in one class for 4 years and have dabbled outside of it to with other education and some nifty designs and such. don't wan tyou thinking i'm some pro-engineering guru :p, should still come up with some good stuff though
    DFI SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Opteron 148
    EVGA 6800gs 256mb
    Laing D5 pump
    Clearflex 1/2" ID tubing

Xtreme Member
    If -60c temperatures are enough then i suggest freezium to be used. However if i remember right aluminium shouldnt be used in the loop and system should be rid of air completely.

However with dryice i will use methanole since it is easy to get and doesnt freeze in -79c. Acetylene would make cold mixture with dryice but im under impression it makes worse fumes than methanole.

About the high pressure pump. I think benefits from effective pump are mostly due the turbulence which increases the effectiveness of certain type of waterblocks. Also if there is very low resistance in block there might get warm spots to some areas of the waterblock. My pump power can be varied between 30-45-60w so there will be pretty huge flow with this system due the big inlets and pump.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast