Thread: "Full cover" peltier block?

Xtreme Member

"Full cover" peltier block?

I've been looking for a new gpublock for quite a while now. Most full cover gpu waterblocks are very restrictive and I don't want to waste my precious flow on cooling gpu ram! I didn't want the block to kill my flow but I still wanted low temps. Most full cover blocks only fit a couple of graphic cards too and I'm planing to buy a new one soon so full cover blocks were totaly out of the question for me. My rad should be able to handle the extra heat from a peltier so today I orderd a Maze 4-1.

What if I manufactured a new coldplate, one large enough to cover the ram chips. Has anyone tried this before? Would it affect the core temp alot?

Idéas, suggestions and comments are welcome.

-150c Club Member
    Would effect core a bit but its overall very possible. I'm currently designing a few blocks bigger than he maze 4, to hold 50mm tecs for this purpose.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Is there any block for 50mm pelts available?

What block design are you planing to use?

I plan to build a few blocks myself in a not too distant future. I thought about using something like Swiftechs pin-grid design since it cools a large enough area for peltiercooling while not being very restrictive, and it's very easy to replicate.

Xtreme Cruncher

Full Cover Block

Not sure how you would do this, the ram chips are usually a different height than the core, I just went for some Zalman ram heatsinks for my card. Not to mention that if you are peltier cooling the core, it's going to make the card cold too, ram chips don't put out much heat so with a cold board they may not need much more cooling. If they are still hot I guess you could try your idea with the larger cold plate. Just my two cents.

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Member
    I do realize that the memory chips don't need much cooling and I already have a chopped up 1u copper heatsink on them which cools them very well. And since I've heard alot of good things about swiftechs mc14 bga ramsinks I've ordered a pack to see wherther they can beat my home made sinks. I doubt it but it's fun to test. So I am in no need of any better ramcooling.

I hate the idéa of ram, chipset and mosfet waterblocks. It's a waste of money and flow since you have to buy lots of small restrictive waterblocks and they don't even benefit much from it.

This way I can wc them w/o wasting any flow and it would be alot cheaper then buying lots of small waterblocks. It would cool them alot better too! I'd only have to buy a piece of copper and build a coldplate. The question is wherther cooling them a few degrees extra is worth the higher core temp. The only way to find out is to build one and measure the core temp.

If the new gpu cold plate don't increase the core temp too much I could use the same idéa on the cpu to cool the mosfets.

I don't see how the different heights of the chips and core is a problem? It's no problem with a mill. Just look at any full cover block?

How will you insulate those ramsinks?

Xtreme Member
    The usual.
    Conformal coating, closed cell neopren ,dielectric grease and silicon.

Here's a nice thread about insulation.

Isn't insulating ramsinks a lot harder then a cpu/gpu?

Xtreme Member
    It's a larger area so yeah it would be more work. Especially between the coldplate and the pcb. That would be a PITA to get right!

Indeed,
    it's insulation of the ram on my 6800GT that keeps me from slapping tec's on them