Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disaster has struck!!

Xtreme Member
    Man that totally sucks... last week I saw a topic from a guy who lost all of his hardware too... and he was using a Zippy 550W PSU, wich was working fine for over 4 months... what's causing this??
    PC 1 PC 2
    [Intel Q9450 @ 3.733GHz][Intel E8400 @ 4GHz]
    [XFX nForce 780i 3 Way SLI][ASUS P5K Premium Wifi Black Pearl]
    [2x2GB G.Skill F2-8000CL5-2GBPQ][2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer]
    [Visiontek HD4870 512MB][MSI 8800GT 512MB]
    [LG 2243W 21.5" FullHD LCD][Samsung T220 22" LCD]
    [Solytech 600W][SevenTeam V-Force 750W]

Wow man, sorry to hear that. My condolences.

I've got to give you credit about your spirits. I wouldn't take it so well.

Good luck to you getting it all sorted out.
    DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-D
    AMD Opteron 170 @ 2950 IHS Removed
    2x OCZ Plat Elite PC 4800 DDR 600
    XFX 7900 GTX Extreme
    WD Raptor- SATA
    WD 160GB IDE
    Generic CD-RW IDE
    OCZ Power Stream 520
    Water Cooling

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo
    This is something we all need to keep our eye on. I hope we can keep the serious hardware failures to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyxc
    I've got to give you credit about your spirits. I wouldn't take it so well.
    Well, I'm actually a bit sick about it too. But, I've been playing with fire for a long time without any major recent losses. Guess I made up for lost time huh

On the bright side, I'm finding that gaming with a single 7800GTX isn't all that bad. I may be done benching for a while, but gaming is still pretty good!
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Legend
    Sorry to hear about your loss, Michael. Same thing happened to me awhile back. One of my PSU's (PCP&C) blew and took out the board and CPU. But in my case, it was totally my fault. I tried to move a fan while the computer was still on. Something shorted and my PSU/board/CPU were all toast.

Good luck in the future.

Memory Addict
    ouch man, sorry to hear - some scary stuff

but was wondering why OCP didn't kick in on psu as that extremetech article reported most cases of overloaded psu only lead to system shutdown ?
    ---

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    if the PSU took out all that stuff... why would you want another one?
    that just makes no sense to me....

sell it.
    get something more up to the task.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    OH man sorry I hate to hear when this happens!

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry for your loss mdzcpa, I commend you on taking such a huge disaster in your stride
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike6969
    I was thinking the same thing, i just dont buy his story at all unless he takes some pics to back up his claim.
    Mike, this is info thread that can be beneficial to every SLI/CF user albeit very expensive one for some peeps.
    Be nice

It is
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

I am Xtreme
    Sorry to hear about the loss Mike Second PC P&C to take expensive parts down with it... I'm running a heavily overclocked dual core + sli rig with 4 hdds off an enermax liberty 500 watt and adding watercooling this week, you have me really worried now

How did you hard mod the expert and fx60 to prevent RMA? I assume popping the IHS but what about the board?
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've heard this a few times before, unbelievable! How does this happen?

I hope you can get some back through RMA.

Xtreme Addict
    Oh man, I feel for ya...all that at one time.

I was a bit angry about my own stupidity when I managed to remove one of the capacitors when I pop the lid of my 170'er...but that is nothing compared to this....also when your not directly causing the incident, must be painful.

Cheers up and collect mind and money....it's only materia and you still got your health and witts to get a new system up and going
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Xtreme Addict
    Ugg what a loss, sorry for you Mike. And as alpha0ne said, an for seeing this with such a good spirit. I would be really pi**ed
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750

XS_THE_MACHINE
    That's a terrible loss there.. sorry mate.

Better hope AM2 is really something then...

And I agree, you should sell the new 510 SLI and replace it with something matching up to the rest of your configuration: 850 at least or even 1KW (if you still trust PCP&C that is).

Good luck man, must really suck losing your FX-60 like that...

My condolences
    ~ Kris
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Wanna look under my kilt?
    NO ONE deserves that.
    My sympathy.

Guess doubling up on PSUs is the way to go at the mo
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    I can just imagine that first it was disbelief and then that sick feeling down deep in your guts realising that this really happened. I am truly sorry to hear about your loss.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    I was thinking the same thing, i just dont buy his story at all unless he takes some pics to back up his claim.
    hey now wait a second...
    thats not what I was saying at all.

I was just asking a obvious question.
    if that PSU took out all that hardware, why in the world would you want another one, even if it was new from RMA?

I wasn't saying anything about faking something... thats your story to go with. leave me out of it, haha.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Thats really bad news Mike :/
    I know exactly how you feel. I also lost a few hardware bits last week. Wasn't as expensive as yours, but for a student its still way too expensive.
    Hope you get it sorted out somehow.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

xtreme energy
    Omg, that is a lot of hardware, sorry to hear that

I have a question though. Did it show any signs of instability like random restarts etc? What about rails? If there were no signs of instability and perfectly stable rails then this kind of disaster is really strange imo.

PC P&C will replace PSU but nothing else. At least that is what their warranty says.

Xtreme Member
    Holy crap, that just sucks... sad to hear that man. ive burnt 2 AXP's waay back and it just plainly sucks. but an fx-60... oh my...

guess its all up to RMA's then.. *crosses fingers*
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz
    6GB GSkill Trident DDR3 1600
    Gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev 1 Bios F8e
    ATI 5850
    Crucial RealSSD 128GB FW 002
    WD Velociraptor 150GB
    Corsair 750W PSU
    Apogee XT / MCP655 / BIX 2
    Lian Li V2000

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    if the PSU took out all that stuff... why would you want another one?
    that just makes no sense to me....
    lol....no I think you missed my sarcasm when I said:

"PCP&C is RMAing. At least I'll have a new 510w SLI Turbo Cool"

...I meant that very tongue-in-cheek. After losing all that hardware getting a new PSU was the least of my worries. I guess it didn't read the way I meant it.

What story do you not buy? I'm not trying to RMA anything but the PSU which died doing its thing and is eligible for RMA. I'm not getting anything out of this mess. I have nothing to gain by sharing this problem with everyone here.

Sheesh....I guess I should have stuck to my original plan and told no one. I've been a member on this board for 4 years, and XIP, and a Mod. Now I'm being called a liar after losing $2k in hardware. nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumo
    Mike, this is info thread that can be beneficial to every SLI/CF user albeit very expensive one for some peeps.
    Be nice
    I'm trying. But some folks like to be idiots. Nothing like kicking someone when they're down

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    Sorry to hear about the loss Mike Second PC P&C to take expensive parts down with it... I'm running a heavily overclocked dual core + sli rig with 4 hdds off an enermax liberty 500 watt and adding watercooling this week, you have me really worried now

How did you hard mod the expert and fx60 to prevent RMA? I assume popping the IHS but what about the board?
    First off, like I said earlier, I don't want everyone to panic. What happened might be a freak accident. I don't know. I PM'd Major about the issue last week and told him I was going to be quiet about it. Its sad and embarrassing to have this happen. But, when I started reading the articles about PSUs not standing up to the challenge of high end SLI and shutting down, I thought I should tell the tale.

The FX60 has the IHS removed, so I'm borked there. The 7800GTX was volt modded. The Expert is covered in conformal coating and has a lot of dielectric grease in the socket. I also glued a few extra heatsinks to some hot spots. I could probably clean up the mobo and RMA, but that would be pretty dishonest. If any company should have to foot the bill, it would be PCP&C, but they aren't going to do it I suspect. And, although I'm bummed out about that, I undertsand that I've been running my hardware pretty hard and that's the price you pay.

To All:

This thread is NOT a slam on PCP&C. I go on the record saying that what happened to me is probably just a bad luck. I do beleive that the PSU was overburdened for sure. I think it should have just cut out from overvolt protection and not died and fried everything. But, given my mods, high overclocks, phase change, etc, etc, perhaps it was something I did. I don't know. Take this story for what its worth.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2
    I can just imagine that first it was disbelief and then that sick feeling down deep in your guts realising that this really happened.

Yep. That's exactly how I felt. As i worked on the rig to bring things back to life, I slowly began to get a sinking feeling and a panic. I worked late into the night tearing everything down after the basics wouldn't work. It took me the whole weekend to go through every single peice of hardware and test it using parts from my other rigs. Piece by piece I learned of the damage. It was a bad weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    I have a question though. Did it show any signs of instability like random restarts etc? What about rails? If there were no signs of instability and perfectly stable rails then this kind of disaster is really strange imo.
    Good question. No, I had no signs of pending problems. That's actually why I felt the need to post this story. The only signs I had was that the PSU was running hot and loud.....kinda of like it always did

Overclocks did not dimish leading up to the failure. No overvolt protection shutdowns. No nothing.

Like I said, perhaps its a 1 in a million thing....I don't know. One of the reasons I did not want to post about this is that it might worry people needlessly (along with being a generally sucky topic to talk about). But, after reading about the PSU issue with high end SLI, I felt I needed to post. I hope this doesn't upset anyone.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Recruit
    jeeeezus thats a lot of cash up in smoke.... something like this could put you off forever.

sorry to hear about this

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast