Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best way to hold vmods in place?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla
    Flux is used so solder sticks to things better, it's a mild acid which cleans the surface you're soldering, so when hot solder touches some flux on a copper wire, the solder will spread around like water. Pure solder usually form a big blob rather than an even coating.

If I'm not mistaken, rosin core "high-tech" solder is self fluxed, or most electronic solders.
    Correct modern electrical solder has a resin core or resin impregnated...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Aint No Real Gangster
    Flux is used so solder sticks to things better, it's a mild acid which cleans the surface you're soldering, so when hot solder touches some flux on a copper wire, the solder will spread around like water. Pure solder usually form a big blob rather than an even coating.

If I'm not mistaken, rosin core "high-tech" solder is self fluxed, or most electronic solders.

hmm. well thats the stuff i used, and have for all my solder, learn something every day.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

I am Xtreme
    yes I'm using rosin core solder
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Steak for Breakfast
    Try using steel wool to sand the leads a little, give it a texture, then heat up the liquid solder a little longer.
    I learned this in art metal:
    heat up both pieces evenly, because solder sticks to whatever that's the hottest.

Gah if I didn't break my soldering iron for that heating thingy I'd take pics...

Btw idk if this will help, for jewllery we use silver solder with a white powder-liked flux, for non-lead soft solder we used a gel-liked amber flux, I use that amber flux for electronics sometimes, but now I used rosin core.
    Last edited by Thrilla; 03-18-2006 at 11:37 PM.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Try using steel wool to sand the leads a little, give it a texture, then heat up the liquid solder a little longer.
    I learned this in art metal:
    heat up both pieces evenly, because solder sticks to whatever that's the hottest.

Gah if I didn't break my soldering iron for that heating thingy I'd take pics...

Btw idk if this will help, for jewllery we use silver solder with a white powder-liked flux, for non-lead soft solder we used a gel-liked amber flux, I use that amber flux for electronics sometimes, but now I used rosin core.
    Dont use steel wool on your soldering leads. Then you will remove the protective cover that is on it and that will give you problems when trying to geet the solder to stick, that is what I was told.

I know that if you need your soldering good and strong you need to heat it up alot.

That is just not posible on a grafic card And w e are not going to space so it dosent matter that much. But when you solder somwhere on you card, like you did on the 7800.
    use som alcohole to cleane the soldering point, and then you can use a glass pen. It is just like a normal pen, but it has long strips of glass in it.

When doing that to the solder point there is more to stick to.
    Just like when you paint
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Id also like to try this, but my soldering skills ar3e about as good as my welding skills (which suck also) so Id just try the bios editors and if they dot work screw it..
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

I used to work at a repair facility for a large computer manufacturer. All of the folks used a hot melt called "beeswax". Just take the side of your soldering tip, press it against the end of the wax, and you have a dot of hot melt adhesive ready to place on a wire. Works great.

PS Flux allows solder to spread out because it lower's the solder's surface tension, not because of any cleaning action. You might be thinking of acid-core solder, which is used to solder materials with surface corrosion present.
    Last edited by sluggo; 04-26-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12