Thread: RDX200 Divider problem with 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum

RDX200 Divider problem with 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum

Hi,

Has anyone had any success running 2 x 1GB RAM in an RDX 200?

For some reason, I can't use any divider other than 1:1 Or 9:10 which is totally useless to me as I have an opteron 144.

I have tried every bios with the same result. Some of the older bios will boot into windows on other dividers but is not stable. The newest bios will only boot into windows 1:1 or 9:10, all other dividers hang just before the "verifying DMI pool data" bit.

I am using the orange slots, did try the yellow but could'nt even get the PC to post in those slots. Does any body have any ideas what the problem is? Is my board faulty or do no RDX200's actually work with 2 gigs of ram properly?

Any help much appreciated.
    Phenom II 955 Black @ 3.8 | Gigabyte MA770-UD3P | 2x 2gb Gskill Ripjaw cas8 | 8800GT (848 core, 2107 shader,950 mem) | Antec TruePower 750w | Lian Li v2000 | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Heatkiller LC waterblock | Maze 4 GPU block

Xtreme Member
    this board is effin picky. I assume you have ce6 ic ram, which i have also but gskill and not ocz. I have my board running a divider (150mhz one i think) with these. Your timings are probably what is making it hang, im not sure if you know but with the DFI boards when your OC has gone to far itll freeze right before dmi. I tried using timings that were fine with a previous board but they were a no go with the rdx. You may have to up the cas latency and your max async latency will probably need to be 8 for the ram to even work. Basically just play around with the timings for a while and maybe youll figure it out, thats what i did. Also if you can get into windows you may want to screw around with a64 tweaker to find settings. Basically if you change it and you freeze you know you went too far. Sorry if any of this is useless to you.

Also if you have CE6 many have found that lowering your volts to the ram all the way actually helps for higher clocks. As for drive i have seen lots of different stuff, currently im running drive strength of 7 and data drive of 1 (reduce 50%). I had to raise my cas latency to 3 to get 240mhz but my other settings are pretty tight, including tras of 0.
    Last edited by kemist; 02-28-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks for the reply, but I have tested the RAM 1:1 at 252 (its rated for 250 anyway) and also on the 180 divider with the RAM at 252 and there were no stability problems at all, so I don't think it can be timing related.

The board won't boot at any speed on any other divider, so it won't even run at stock 200HTT on a 133 divider for example. not actually tried any divider below that as it would be useless anyway.
    Phenom II 955 Black @ 3.8 | Gigabyte MA770-UD3P | 2x 2gb Gskill Ripjaw cas8 | 8800GT (848 core, 2107 shader,950 mem) | Antec TruePower 750w | Lian Li v2000 | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Heatkiller LC waterblock | Maze 4 GPU block

Xtreme Member
    I assume youve tried the processor and ram with a different motherboard and dividers were fine? If not then maybe the processor's mem controller doesnt like the divider. If you have tested the proc and ram though you may just have gotten unlucky

Ive have seen some people comment about trying different multis on the processor and that fixing problems before, but i think that was HTT speed. Still may be worth a try.

I know the divider works with other RAM as I was running the 166 divider with my 2 x 512 winbond UTT no problem.

That was the reason i bought this RAM, nice tight latencies up to about 255 would of been perfect for my overclock on the 166 divider, but now im stuck on the 180 so can't get over 2520mhz on the CPU! So annoying! it's just seems like it must be some sort of incompatibility between this RAM and the board.

Xtreme Member
    possible, supposedly the board was designed for utt ic

Im reeally hoping there might be a solution to this, I don't really want to have to buy YET ANOTHER new board because DFI / ATI can't make a board that works properly again. Damn good job I've not got crossfire and can switch to a NF4 expert I guess.

Smile

I've finally got it!!!! back to my old overclock of 2800mhz on the 166 divider with the RAM at 252mhz.

I think it was a drive strength issue, set to 10 it started booting OK. For anyone thats interested, here are the settings I use now:

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) .................... 166
    1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock).............. 1T
    CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 3T
    RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 3T
    Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 8T
    Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 2T
    Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 10T
    Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 16T
    Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T
    Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 3T
    Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T
    Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T
    Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3120
    DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Auto
    DQS Skew Value................................ 0
    DRAM Drive Strength........................... Level 10
    DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 2 (Reduce 30%)
    Max Async Latency............................. 8ns
    DRAM Response Time............................ Normal
    Read Preamble Time............................ 6ns
    IdleCycle Limit............................... 64
    Dynamic Counter............................... Disable
    R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x
    Bypass Max.................................... 4x
    32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)

I did also have to add 0.5 of a volt to the CPU to get the last bit of my old overclock level back, guess thats due to the extra stress on the memory controller from 2 x 1GB.

Spoke to soon! that extra 0.5 volt did'nt help.

Still, im almost there now. Those settings have got me up to 246mhz on the RAM, but 1:1 the RAM can do 252 no problem. Does anyone have any suggestions which settings might be needed to change for the last little bit?